Author

Topic: Bitcoin is Becoming a Global Currency - page 152. (Read 226365 times)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
March 14, 2015, 12:07:16 PM

Can I send gold to someone at the other side of the globe? Can I pay my friend a tiny little bit of gold for that money I owe him for those beers he bought me last night? Can I back my gold up multiples times to protect it? That's why bitcoin is far better as a currency.

Bitcoin is more practical that's true. But for some people and in some scenarios it is less safe. For example in 2003 in there was a power outage in Northeastern and Midwestern United States and many people where out of energy for almost two days. In 1999 Southern Brazil also experienced blackout. If you have physical money you still can buy things like food and so on.

Forget blackouts, there is still a substantial section of the world population which does not even have access to the internet. Even if Bitcoin does become the global currency of choice, we need physical money to ensure that the entire population has access to a medium of exchange. I don't see fiat disappearing too soon.

There are limitations to all currencies but I don't think bitcoin will replace fiat, it's just an alternative. Obviously bitcoin will have it's drawbacks in certain situations like when you want to use it in the sticks or in the middle of the sahara desert but there are still work arounds. Anyone with a mobile phone or tablet can still send money, they'll just have to wait till they get a connection for it to be processed. You can also use paper wallets and import the money. As for blackouts its rare they happen and when they do they are resolved pretty quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
March 14, 2015, 11:48:32 AM

Can I send gold to someone at the other side of the globe? Can I pay my friend a tiny little bit of gold for that money I owe him for those beers he bought me last night? Can I back my gold up multiples times to protect it? That's why bitcoin is far better as a currency.

Bitcoin is more practical that's true. But for some people and in some scenarios it is less safe. For example in 2003 in there was a power outage in Northeastern and Midwestern United States and many people where out of energy for almost two days. In 1999 Southern Brazil also experienced blackout. If you have physical money you still can buy things like food and so on.

Forget blackouts, there is still a substantial section of the world population which does not even have access to the internet. Even if Bitcoin does become the global currency of choice, we need physical money to ensure that the entire population has access to a medium of exchange. I don't see fiat disappearing too soon.
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
March 14, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
I think bitcoin is the first truly global currency and it truly does have the power to be a borderless, worldwide currency. My dream is that it just catches on so everybody else sees it like this because without being able to spend it at many places across the world it is kinda useless as a currency but I think this will change over time.

Gold was (and still remains) the first true and truly global currency by any means and thus for hundreds of years already. Whether bitcoin will be able to make it like gold did, remains to be seen. Personally, I think bitcoin is currently stuck between fiat and more apt cryptocoins, so it is not given that it won't be supplanted by them eventually...

Gold isn't very good as a currency for many reasons. Bitcoin is far superior in this regard in almost every imaginable way, though gold obviously has intrinsic value as a precious metal.

No one argues with this, gold drawbacks are well known and already priced in. But this doesn't in the least undermine what I have said previously, that gold is the only true currency out there that has lasted for centuries (actually millenia), and still remains highly valued even today, despite all the fuss with fiat monies and recently cryptocoins...
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
March 14, 2015, 09:59:22 AM

Activity: 354
March 14, 2015, 08:55:32 AM
Well if you take a look at localbitcoins you can find a list of 240 countries. It's amazing that Bitcoin has spread to countries like Burkina Faso. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people never even heard of it.
Pretty much everything is in a positive state, expect the price.

Exactly and the price not rising with the demand is the most disappointing thing. Whilst there are bitcoin users in far off places they might be the only one and if they are they've got nobody to sell to or buy from or spend their coins on anything. As I've said before I think we just need some patience for btc and we should see some gains eventually but this will take some time. Hopefully certain industries will see the benefits of accepting bitcoin and get on board sooner or later and if so the price should rise accordingly.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
March 14, 2015, 08:51:32 AM
Well if you take a look at localbitcoins you can find a list of 240 countries. It's amazing that Bitcoin has spread to countries like Burkina Faso. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people never even heard of it.
Pretty much everything is in a positive state, expect the price.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
March 14, 2015, 08:29:07 AM
Ease of use and universal acceptance are required to make a truly global currency. When Bitcoin achieves those hallmarks it will be one.
March 14, 2015, 08:12:29 AM
I think bitcoin is the first truly global currency and it truly does have the power to be a borderless, worldwide currency. My dream is that it just catches on so everybody else sees it like this because without being able to spend it at many places across the world it is kinda useless as a currency but I think this will change over time.

Gold was (and still remains) the first true and truly global currency by any means and thus for hundreds of years already. Whether bitcoin will be able to make it like gold did, remains to be seen. Personally, I think bitcoin is currently stuck between fiat and more apt cryptocoins, so it is not given that it won't be supplanted by them eventually...

Gold isn't very good as a currency for many reasons. Bitcoin is far superior in this regard in almost every imaginable way, though gold obviously has intrinsic value as a precious metal.

There is also one reason why people may not want participate in bitcoin. The reason is that virtual currency is... virtual. If the global internet hits a big problem, it will also affect virtual money. With Physical currency in your pocket you don't need to worry about hackers, blackouts, etc.

March 14, 2015, 08:05:46 AM

There is also one reason why people may not want participate in bitcoin. The reason is that virtual currency is... virtual. If the global internet hits a big problem, it will also affect virtual money. With Physical currency in your pocket you don't need to worry about hackers, blackouts, etc.
legendary
March 14, 2015, 07:52:47 AM

March 14, 2015, 07:36:15 AM
i think bitcoin is still a long way from being the global currency
Bitcoin is very flexible because he can be accepted and exchanged with any payment and transaction done very quickly. No need to wait a long time. It's already happening now
I had to send a bank transaction inside my country to another bank entity and it was so annoying now that im used to BTC transactions. Once you are in its forever.

The reason for the annoying procedures is government regulations.
Banks have to comply with know your customer norms, anti-money laundering norms, foreign exchange rules, etc.
Bitcoin has it easy. Smiley

Sadly these regulations will eventually come to bitcoin too. It's just a natural process really as the governments aren't going to freely and easily launder your money like this without them wanting their cut. Using exchanges that don't comply with these laws will become illegal and it probably is already.

BTC is a global currency, because there isn't any country behind it. Somehow, it's countryfree. Just like me.

legendary
March 14, 2015, 05:28:23 AM
It will be many years before it is used everywhere

Unlike centralized system, everyone should take care of their own coins. If they have serious amount of coins, they can't rely on any third party including hard wallet makers (What if there is a back door? What if the wallet software is hacked? What if the key generated already exists?) So eventually they must learn all the bitcoin core mechanisms by themselves and learn how to protect their private key, that will take years  Grin

You could generate your keys on a disconnected computer (there are a lot of manuals on the net how to do it), write them down on paper, and then trash the computer's storage media (if you are that paranoid)... Why should this necessarily take years to learn?

It can take years because not everybody is convinced to virtual currency. Many people (especially older) are not interested in some high tech money that you keep in your smartphone. BTC must be recognized by normal people in order to become global currency.

As to me, to believe in the bright future of bitcoin and learn how to safely work with it are two different things. The former may require a whole life (and some die-hards can't be convinced at all), while the latter can be done pretty fast...
March 14, 2015, 05:18:55 AM

Unlike centralized system, everyone should take care of their own coins. If they have serious amount of coins, they can't rely on any third party including hard wallet makers (What if there is a back door? What if the wallet software is hacked? What if the key generated already exists?) So eventually they must learn all the bitcoin core mechanisms by themselves and learn how to protect their private key, that will take years  Grin

You could generate your keys on a disconnected computer (there are a lot of manuals on the net how to do it), write them down on paper, and then trash the computer's storage media (if you are that paranoid)... Why should this necessarily take years to learn?

It can take years because not everybody is convinced to virtual currency. Many people (especially older) are not interested in some high tech money that you keep in your smartphone. BTC must be recognized by normal people in order to become global currency.
legendary
March 13, 2015, 04:36:22 PM

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
March 13, 2015, 03:45:40 PM
BTC is a global currency, because there isn't any country behind it. Somehow, it's countryfree. Just like me.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
March 13, 2015, 01:29:04 PM
Bitcoin is very flexible because he can be accepted and exchanged with any payment and transaction done very quickly. No need to wait a long time. It's already happening now
I had to send a bank transaction inside my country to another bank entity and it was so annoying now that im used to BTC transactions. Once you are in its forever.

The reason for the annoying procedures is government regulations.
Banks have to comply with know your customer norms, anti-money laundering norms, foreign exchange rules, etc.
Bitcoin has it easy. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
March 13, 2015, 12:38:13 PM
Activity: 378
March 13, 2015, 12:33:30 PM
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
March 13, 2015, 12:27:47 PM
Yes, that is correct. I agree with it.

Bitcoin is truly becoming a global currency, because of millions of people who are trading and mining.

I believe bitcoin will become even more popular in few years from now.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
March 10, 2015, 01:46:12 PM

It is a (not THE) global currency in a tiny, experimental way. There are several foreign countries I could wash up in right now and probably just about survive on nothing but BTC. By the end of the decade things might look rather more convincing.
Jump to: