Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 65. (Read 430922 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
June 20, 2011, 04:08:42 PM
Do shills realize that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

I don't object to any kind of publicity. I object to lies and misinformation. They make the world a darker place.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
June 20, 2011, 04:07:13 PM
CNBC news video:

Online Currency Bitcoin Gets Hacked [NBC: 6-20-2011]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCy6mw39nrA
June 20, 2011, 03:56:51 PM

I don't object to bad publicity. I object to lies and misinformation. They make the world a darker place.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 20, 2011, 03:28:04 PM
Bitcoin @ Techchrunch

The Bitcoin Trials Continue: Mt. Gox Exchange Collapses Due To Compromised Account
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/19/the-bitcoin-trials-continue-mt-gox-exchange-collapses-due-to-compromised-account/
Activity: 249
Merit: 251
June 20, 2011, 03:00:20 PM

I'm not so convinced. Justin Beiber doesn't require effort to understand.

What if I ran around publishing that Bitcoin will be convicted by the US government for criminal fraud and that people holding bitcoins will be served with subpoenas next Tuesday?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 20, 2011, 01:14:30 PM
NetNet of CNBC:  http://www.cnbc.com/id/43464477

This one is full of FUD, somewhere between stage 2 and stage 3.

Very few people are capable of understanding how BitCoins can be manufactured, much less evaluate reassurances that manufacturing is difficult. Improved computing power, for example, could make BitCoin manufacturing much faster and easier. Do advocates of BitCoins realize they are betting against improvements in the speed of computers?

Do h8terz realize how incompetent they make themselves look by publishing such hit pieces?

June 20, 2011, 12:59:56 PM

"long pieces of computer algorithms" has to be my favourite all time definition of bitcoins  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
June 20, 2011, 12:50:20 PM
NetNet of CNBC:  http://www.cnbc.com/id/43464477

This one is full of FUD, somewhere between stage 2 and stage 3.
June 20, 2011, 12:46:19 PM

"Bitcoins aren’t secure, as both the recent theft and this password problem show. They’re not liquid, nor a store of value, as the price collapse shows and if they’re none of those things then they’ll not be a great medium of exchange either as who would want to accept them?"

A great example of an article being agenda driven, not fact driven.

(1) Bitcoins are secure. One of the exchanges wasn't secure, but the situation has been recovered anyway.
(2) Bitcoin's aren't liquid? No more or less than gold. "Liquidity: The degree to which an asset or security can be bought or sold in the market without affecting the asset's price." - It's just a question of what percentage of the world's economy is invested in gold or bitcoins. Early days.
(3) Bitcoins aren't a store of value? No more or less than gold. Same argument as for liquidity.

This is a respected writer in a respected publication, yeah?

Might as well have been Fox News given the accuracy of it. What an asshole.
legendary
Activity: 1106
June 20, 2011, 12:31:39 PM
Agreed with coined. Let's look at the facts:

1) Account gets hacked and 25k bitcoin gets stolen. Were the fundamentals of bitcoin compromised? Nope. Was the p2p network compromised? Nope. Has the currency/commodity known as bitcoin suddenly become insecure, inflationary, counterfeitable? Nope. Are the bitcoins in your encrypted wallet at risk? Nope.

2) Mt. Gox, just one of many exchanges, gets either hacked or broken into. Again, were the fundamentals of bitcoin compromised? Nope

3) Even after the two events, and after a huge rise in the market in the week that preceded them, the little currency that could is still holding its own for anyone who bought into it prior to June 5. Read that again... if you bought your bitcoins any time before June 5, you're making money. If you bought them before May 30, you've at least doubled your money.

Clearly the exchanges need to up their game when it comes to security. And wouldn't it be wonderful if there could be an exchange also based on p2p, decentralised, unhackable, etc? But imagine where any fiat currency or any standard commodity would be today if someone had managed to steal about 0.5 percent of it in one go... or if someone had compromised upwards of 80 percent of the exchanges dealing in it.

It's about the fundamentals, and they're pretty solid. If anything, these speed bumps are confirming that.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
June 20, 2011, 12:20:54 PM
I have never used mtgox and never thought mtgox itself was going to be instrumental in bringing bitcoin to the mainstream in the future, and I always thought we needed to diversify with lots more efficient exchanges for every currency(we should have learned that after the dos attack took it down, it did come back stronger though ...), so I may have a perspective different from the people thinking the sky is falling and bitcoin is over,

my view is, let the attacks come, in every area, including the exchanges not just bitcoin itself, this is early days for bitcoin, with every attack something is learned and the bitcoin community is better for it, if all that happens from the mtgox hack is a roll back with mtgox paying the missing btc himself and it gets a new security overhaul then that's a positive in my book, plus all the other exchanges will see the vulnerability and secure themselves against it, its not like we can avoid these things throughout bitcoins life, let them happen now and make things as secure as possible for the future.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
June 20, 2011, 12:18:43 PM

Bitcoins aren’t secure, as both the recent theft and this password problem show.

Is this dude really that stupid or just a shill? Bitcoin exchange is hacked therefore bitcoin is not secure, published it in Forbes no less.

If anything, persistent attempts, whether successful or not, to steal bitcoin demonstrates exactly the opposite i.e. that bitcoins are very valuable. Criminals do not steal worthless stuff.

That is correct. And if it's easy to get robbed blind or exchanges keep getting hacked because of their incompetence - it will be just as easy to lose confidence in BitCoin, despite its solid technical foundation. Ultimately, you're dealing with people's nerves, trust, confidence, fear.... That overrules anything else, including rationality.
June 20, 2011, 12:16:59 PM
First time Bitcoin and false flag have been mentioned together?

Malware Theft of Bitcoins a False Flag to Discredit Revolutionary Currency?

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/06/malware-theft-of-bitcoins-false-flag-to.html
-
June 20, 2011, 11:07:08 AM

Bitcoins aren’t secure, as both the recent theft and this password problem show.

Is this dude really that stupid or just a shill? Bitcoin exchange is hacked therefore bitcoin is not secure, published it in Forbes no less.

If anything, persistent attempts, whether successful or not, to steal bitcoin demonstrates exactly the opposite i.e. that bitcoins are very valuable. Criminals do not steal worthless stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 20, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
Looks like a Bitcoin exchange scammer left a comment on Nerdr.  Interesting read...

http://nerdr.com/bitcoin-exchange-scam-bitcoins-are-worthless/

I seriously doubt it.  The only person that could be is Vladimer, and there is no way he's stupid enough to put this crap into an email to a hater.  More likely someone trying to add fuel to the fire and depress the price so that they can buy in.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
June 20, 2011, 10:22:34 AM
Looks like a Bitcoin exchange scammer left a comment on Nerdr.  Interesting read...

http://nerdr.com/bitcoin-exchange-scam-bitcoins-are-worthless/
-
June 20, 2011, 09:56:11 AM
h8ters are having field day on twitter and elsewhere.

This seems as a good time to buy bitcoins for anyone with more than 1 week perspective.
Pages:
Jump to: