Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Town: Let's Make the Future Come to us - page 2. (Read 54474 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 101
I love Bitcoins... but I dream of non-monetary society... the only way to humanity prosperity
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
I Feel safer for sure without guns, in my country you know you dont have to fear anyone can bring a gun to even normal people. I just dont like the idea that anybody can have a gun.
Ofcourse people can bring other weapons like hammer/baseballbat/knife but you can defend alot better vs that.
And with a gun, 1 bullet is all it takes you only have to pull the trigger. 

guns are hard to get where I am, I'd feel safer if I could have one at home.. I've seen many situations where 3 people with guns have run from 1 person with a gun, never seen 3 people with machetes run from 1 person with a machete, they are just overwhelmed and cut to bits - they aren't scared as they are of a single bullet.

there's certainly more home invasions and burglaries where there are less guns.

more importantly though is having protection from government and foreign invaders.

Give me one bullet and ten minutes and I'll have something to make it go in the pointed direction at a high rate of speed.
Activity: 1490
Merit: 763
Life is a taxable event
I just read the OP....

I'm an atheist so the church thing was my first red flag. Why not a community center.

All the YouTube videos are down.

This project may just not be feasible in the way that has been described. Maybe we can try for a bitcoin village first? I'd like it to be on a cave up high overlooking the sea. Maybe somewhere in Greece.

If only I had 1000 BTC.... I'd make it happen.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
I Feel safer for sure without guns, in my country you know you dont have to fear anyone can bring a gun to even normal people. I just dont like the idea that anybody can have a gun.
Ofcourse people can bring other weapons like hammer/baseballbat/knife but you can defend alot better vs that.

guns are hard to get where I am, I'd feel safer if I could have one at home.. I've seen many situations where 3 people with guns have run from 1 person with a gun, never seen 3 people with machetes run from 1 person with a machete, they are just overwhelmed and cut to bits - they aren't scared as they are of a single bullet.

more importantly though is having protection from government and foreign invaders.

Are you sure you can back this with some numbers?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

legendary
Jambler.io
so is this happening or was it just a idea? I don't understand some of the replies and I have the view point that it was only a idea and has not been started yet or am I wrong?

The idea wasn't feasible form the start , and the op wasn't sure or had no clue about many things that he planned.

1. Billy the Kid ran out the Illuminati by starting a war against the corrupt "Justice System" where the people were literally shooting at cops.

You see something wrong with his planning?
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
so is this happening or was it just a idea? I don't understand some of the replies and I have the view point that it was only a idea and has not been started yet or am I wrong?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Pretty silly arguments here

Guns are bad and used by criminals. I would feel safer without guns, and we can have security protect us
Those places with gun restrictions and high gun deaths just have corrupt security

Anyone else see a problem with this?
Let me guess, you gonna give those security guys guns?  Tongue

I would give everyone guns. Just in case the security becomes corrupt and decides they want to be in charge.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Guns are bad and used by criminals. I would feel safer without guns, and we can have security protect us
Those places with gun restrictions and high gun deaths just have corrupt security

Let me guess, you gonna give those security guys guns?  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

The problem with guns is that they are easy to use and the same time
dangerous as also kids can use them. Sad
And recently as you can see there were some slaughters made by kids i some schools in US and europe.
It would be better for community to learn martial arts Wink this way you will get community of
physically healthy and physically stable mature non violent people.

I would also tell that the biggest criminals are not this poor few
mentally challenged that are waving with guns
but the others that are wearing nice suites and ties Wink
You're a special kind of idiot if you give your kid a weapon or keep it in reach of a child. You don't give a child knifes and sharp scissors to play with either, I don't see why a responsible adult couldn't have a gun though. If you give me a gun, I'm pretty sure no accidents will happen and no child will come near it.

How do you explain those slaughters in Europe by the way? Guns are banned in most European countries. Wink
And good luck with those martial arts when you need to fight against a bullet, unless your name is Neo, you'll probably lose it.

We can agree on that last thing though.  Grin

How you know I'm an idiot if you don't know even if i have kids or if i have guns in my house.
All kids are the same are curious and likes to play and impersonate their parents or what they see on TV.
If they find a gun they will play with it because they will not know the consequences.
Is like it happens every end of year with the firecracker kids likes the sounds and color but then is not enough
and usually the try to make a bigger explosion! At the end we read in newspapers how many of them suffered
finger or fist mutilation because of their irresponsible game.
But i don't blame the kids as they have learned a lesson from their personal experience and stupidity but this
facts speaks more about their parents.

If the guns are banned it does not mean that the are not available.
Usually in EU there is a much more strict regulation about guns and is not easy to get one legally without
all papers (permits).
If i recall this slaughters in EU happened in countries where is legal to have a gun at home
if you have all the papers permits and I doubt that the kids in Germany and  Finland went to
buy the guns on the black market.

Sorry, if I've chosen the wrong wording. I'm not calling you an idiot, I say people who keep their guns in reach of children are. If you own a gun and have children it needs to be locked up somewhere save where your children can't access it. And just like with fireworks, you need to learn them how to threat those things in a responsible way and learn the dangers.

The Netherlands have btw less guns than the UK but more deaths.
Honduras has only 6.21 firearms per 100 people but 64.8 deaths.

I am from The Netherlands, and i know that almost all the shooting incidents are the Bigger criminals in Amsterdam.
And they are only killing other criminals with their guns and not civillians.
Thats why we have a higher gun/murder rate, But no innocent people get hurt most of the time.
Exept for the time we had a mall shooting simmilair to America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphen_aan_den_Rijn_shopping_mall_shooting
So our law is useless because criminals still have guns.
If one of those guys invades your property, how will you defend yourself?

I don't think they will leave their gun at home because they only use it against fellow criminals. Tongue
Activity: 434
Merit: 511

I am from The Netherlands, and i know that almost all the shooting incidents are the Bigger criminals in Amsterdam.
And they are only killing other criminals with their guns and not civillians.
Thats why we have a higher gun/murder rate, But no innocent people get hurt most of the time.
Exept for the time we had a mall shooting simmilair to America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphen_aan_den_Rijn_shopping_mall_shooting
Activity: 1106
Merit: 534

The problem with guns is that they are easy to use and the same time
dangerous as also kids can use them. Sad
And recently as you can see there were some slaughters made by kids i some schools in US and europe.
It would be better for community to learn martial arts Wink this way you will get community of
physically healthy and physically stable mature non violent people.

I would also tell that the biggest criminals are not this poor few
mentally challenged that are waving with guns
but the others that are wearing nice suites and ties Wink
You're a special kind of idiot if you give your kid a weapon or keep it in reach of a child. You don't give a child knifes and sharp scissors to play with either, I don't see why a responsible adult couldn't have a gun though. If you give me a gun, I'm pretty sure no accidents will happen and no child will come near it.

How do you explain those slaughters in Europe by the way? Guns are banned in most European countries. Wink
And good luck with those martial arts when you need to fight against a bullet, unless your name is Neo, you'll probably lose it.

We can agree on that last thing though.  Grin

How you know I'm an idiot if you don't know even if i have kids or if i have guns in my house.
All kids are the same are curious and likes to play and impersonate their parents or what they see on TV.
If they find a gun they will play with it because they will not know the consequences.
Is like it happens every end of year with the firecracker kids likes the sounds and color but then is not enough
and usually the try to make a bigger explosion! At the end we read in newspapers how many of them suffered
finger or fist mutilation because of their irresponsible game.
But i don't blame the kids as they have learned a lesson from their personal experience and stupidity but this
facts speaks more about their parents.

If the guns are banned it does not mean that the are not available.
Usually in EU there is a much more strict regulation about guns and is not easy to get one legally without
all papers (permits).
If i recall this slaughters in EU happened in countries where is legal to have a gun at home
if you have all the papers permits and I doubt that the kids in Germany and  Finland went to
buy the guns on the black market.

legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
a gun's purpose is to cause damage, whether its to a human body or a target board.

a knife however can be used to cut a tomato or peel a fruit, meaning it improves peoples health. a knife can be used to carve wood into a piece of art.
a dog can be used to be a guide for a blind person, which can fetch the newspaper, slippers and mail for someone who cannot walk much. a dog can also be an alarm to prepare the homeowner for an intruder before the intruder gets in range to hurt the owner.
the dog can also deter would be intruders from even attempting to enter a house.

now tell me apart from releasing a metal projectile. what genuine purpose can you use a gun for?
legendary
Jambler.io
And sure I have a response, it is also more likely you'll get bitten by a dog if you own dogs. Due to adequate obedience training none of my dogs have ever bitten and the chances they will are pretty slim.

But you don't get a dog for the specific purpose of reducing dog bites... The main excuse people give for buying guns is self-defence - they believe it will reduce the chance that they get killed, when in fact it will increase it.
I gave an example where a woman saved herself, her children and her property, seems like a gun reduced her chance of getting killed and that of her children instead of increasing it. Because Joe Redneck and Ibbidibob Gangsta shot their wife, doesn't mean that every person will shoot someone in his family.  

And sure I have a response, it is also more likely you'll get bitten by a dog if you own dogs. Due to adequate obedience training none of my dogs have ever bitten and the chances they will are pretty slim.

But you don't get a dog for the specific purpose of reducing dog bites... The main excuse people give for buying guns is self-defence - they believe it will reduce the chance that they get killed, when in fact it will increase it.

That's the usual gun fanatics propaganda. Knifes are used to killing why don't you try to ban knives , cars , planes etc...

The difference between dogs and guns is that a dog is an animal companion , with which you play and have a good time , guns are things that are designed for killing , with no other purpose.
You know that shooting is a sport? Killing is not their only purpose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sport

Have you ever heard of a person bitten by a plush dog? Or that died in a lego train wreck?
Seriously , their second purpose is to simulate how you hit somebody?

I said designed for.
I really don't think the first caveman fired a bow to impress the girls.Smiley

Activity: 4
Merit: 100

I gave an example where a woman saved herself, her children and her property, seems like a gun reduced her chance of getting killed and that of her children instead of increasing it. Because Joe Redneck and Ibbidibob Gangsta shot their wife, doesn't mean that every person will shoot someone in his family.  

That's the usual gun fanatics propaganda. Knifes are used to killing why don't you try to ban knives , cars , planes etc...

The difference between dogs and guns is that a dog is an animal companion , with which you play and have a good time , guns are things that are designed for killing , with no other purpose.
You know that shooting is a sport? Killing is not their only purpose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sport
legendary
Jambler.io

Activity: 4
Merit: 100
It's something else, the mentality of people perhaps? I have no clue actually, Americans are probably a little bit too gun crazy but assuming the same would happen in Europe when you allowed guns is wrong in my opinion.

Well, three of the examples you quoted have more guns than the UK and less than the US, and have more gun deaths than the UK and less than the US, so I'm not sure what your point is there. Jamaica and many other countries with higher gun death rate than the US (e.g. Somalia) are outliers because the rule of law in general is weak, the police are corrupt, and border controls are poor, making it very difficult to control gun ownership. It is not only a matter of outlawing them, but being able to properly enforce that law. As you've kindly demonstrated, the correlation between gun density and gun deaths still holds.

Suicide is a non-argument anyway, I don't need a gun to kill myself, a rope is just as effective. And those homicides, I can take a knife or a hammer and kill someone too. I won't ever do those things though, not with or without a gun.

It certainly isn't a non-argument - a gun is by any measure the easiest and fastest way of killing yourself. In the time it takes to buy a rope, tie a noose, find a chair etc., many people will have second thoughts. The same argument applies to homicide - it is difficult and risky, not to mention visceral, bloody and horrifyingly intimate, to kill some-one with a knife or a hammer, whereas a gun can be used at a relative distance with ease and detachment.

Certainly if you are utterly, mercilessly determined to kill yourself or some-one else then you will be able to, but that doesn't apply in most cases, and guns make it easy to go through with it. The presence of guns also has the ability to turn any angry or violent confrontation into a murder scene in the heat of the moment.

Do you have any response to the fact that you are more likely to be killed if you have a gun in your home, not less? Self-defence?

Surprisingly enough , some of us feel safer enough without guns to protect them from criminals, and not willing to risk to get shot by your neighbor having too many beers at his barbeque party.

This.
It's something else, the mentality of people perhaps? I have no clue actually, Americans are probably a little bit too gun crazy but assuming the same would happen in Europe when you allowed guns is wrong in my opinion.

Well, three of the examples you quoted have more guns than the UK and less than the US, and have more gun deaths than the UK and less than the US, so I'm not sure what your point is there. Jamaica and many other countries with higher gun death rate than the US (e.g. Somalia) are outliers because the rule of law in general is weak, the police are corrupt, and border controls are poor, making it very difficult to control gun ownership. It is not only a matter of outlawing them, but being able to properly enforce that law. As you've kindly demonstrated, the correlation between gun density and gun deaths still holds.
"The estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) in Jamaica is 8.11 firearms per 100 people"

With only 8.11 firearms they do a pretty good job at enforcing that law.  Roll Eyes

My point was that there are death rates in countries with strict gun laws that are higher than countries with less strict gun laws and more guns. And these figures show that the correlation between gun density and deaths don't hold, you can't dismiss the numbers from the same site if they don't comply with your theory. The numbers for Jamaica are what they are, less guns than for example Sweden but more deaths.

And so on, but with statistics you can prove anything off course, as long as you pick the right data that fit into your theory. But to be more ontopic, in regard of Bitcoin Town, the average IQ of this community is way above the average of any country. And I can say that in a country where the average IQ would be pretty high and the moral and general happiness pretty good. We won't see many gun accidents, I actually dare to say, we wouldn't see many guns either. But people should have the freedom to have one if they wanted. If we pick our residents carefully, we shouldn't have to worry about someone who likes to have a gun and practices from time to time with it on a shooting range. Many residents of something like Bitcoin Town will probably be engaged in many shootings, but I'm sure they will only take place in games like COD or Battlefield. Tongue   

Suicide is a non-argument anyway, I don't need a gun to kill myself, a rope is just as effective. And those homicides, I can take a knife or a hammer and kill someone too. I won't ever do those things though, not with or without a gun.

It certainly isn't a non-argument - a gun is by any measure the easiest and fastest way of killing yourself. In the time it takes to buy a rope, tie a noose, find a chair etc., many people will have second thoughts. The same argument applies to homicide - it is difficult and risky, not to mention visceral, bloody and horrifyingly intimate, to kill some-one with a knife or a hammer, whereas a gun can be used at a relative distance with ease and detachment.

Certainly if you are utterly, mercilessly determined to kill yourself or some-one else then you will be able to, but that doesn't apply in most cases, and guns make it easy to go through with it. The presence of guns also has the ability to turn any angry or violent confrontation into a murder scene in the heat of the moment.

Do you have any response to the fact that you are more likely to be killed if you have a gun in your home, not less? Self-defence?
Who doesn't have some rope in the house? And finding a chair? How long does it take to find a chair in your house? You're probably sitting on one right now. Tongue
That way you also can say "In the time it takes to go to a shop, buy a gun and bullets, load the gun, pull the trigger,..." Way faster to just take that kitchen knife and cut an artery. If you want to kill yourself, you will find a way and you'll probably thought about it for awhile before taking the step.

A crowbar is just as easy to kill someone in the heat of the moment, if someone is that angry to be able to pull the trigger of a gun he's able to kill someone with anything he can grab.

And sure I have a response, it is also more likely you'll get bitten by a dog if you own dogs. Due to adequate obedience training none of my dogs have ever bitten and the chances they will are pretty slim. Responsible gun ownership won't higher your chances of being killed, enough examples of people who successfully defended their home against intruders.

1 example: http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-mom-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/story?id=18164812
Pages:
Jump to: