Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 2. (Read 121196 times)

legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
July 19, 2015, 02:09:30 PM
I would appreciate an option to only connect to peers on request. I pay per MB, and even though I usually have data transfer disabled it has managed to transfer 60 MB just this month.

In the data usage preferences, disable background data. Android allows disabling either for all apps or for individual apps specifically.

Note if you open the app manually, it will still sync as this will count as "foreground".

That option only appears in Android devices that aren't WiFi-only. If you're tethering your WiFi-only device to cellular networks, using a cell-to-WiFi device like Karma Go or MiFi, connecting through a VPN, using paid hotspots that you don't own, etc... the only solution I can see is https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11863617
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
July 13, 2015, 05:04:04 PM
A workaround for now would be to go into settings, add 127.0.0.1 (localhost aka your own device) as your trusted peer, and check "skip regular peer discovery" when you don't want the app using bandwidth. Then when you get on free WiFi, uncheck it, and let it sync blocks. I'm watching my network monitor right now and it's going through January's blocks. It stops cold when I reengage the check.
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
July 13, 2015, 09:20:07 AM
To not ever reuse any address already used once is one of the prime principles of bitcoin.
If you only ever want to use the same address to receive coins, you can go to myb.tc and create a shortlink for that address.
However, as pointed out, the app also creates a new address for every changeback transaction, so that's not of much use.

Right, if you really only want to use one address (including for change) you might be able to use an old version of this app.  If I recally correctly, older versions would just use the same address as change address (maybe before version 2 or something?).

It's quite onerous and you'd pay alot of fees, but another thing you can do is keep sending the change back to that address yourself, from within the app.  However, maybe if it'd actually be easier just to modify the soruce and recompile && install.

you can also plug one of your receiving addresses into myb.tc and request coins to ONLY that addresse. but then again, the app creates a new changeback address for every trx you send, you end up with a whole bunch of addresses with coins on them anyways...
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
July 12, 2015, 07:04:49 PM
I would appreciate an option to only connect to peers on request. I pay per MB, and even though I usually have data transfer disabled it has managed to transfer 60 MB just this month.

A workaround for now would be to go into settings, add 127.0.0.1 (localhost aka your own device) as your trusted peer, and check "skip regular peer discovery" when you don't want the app using bandwidth. Then when you get on free WiFi, uncheck it, and let it sync blocks. I'm watching my network monitor right now and it's going through January's blocks. It stops cold when I reengage the check.
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
July 12, 2015, 06:25:08 PM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
June 15, 2015, 05:38:16 PM
To not ever reuse any address already used once is one of the prime principles of bitcoin.
If you only ever want to use the same address to receive coins, you can go to myb.tc and create a shortlink for that address.
However, as pointed out, the app also creates a new address for every changeback transaction, so that's not of much use.

Right, if you really only want to use one address (including for change) you might be able to use an old version of this app.  If I recally correctly, older versions would just use the same address as change address (maybe before version 2 or something?).

It's quite onerous and you'd pay alot of fees, but another thing you can do is keep sending the change back to that address yourself, from within the app.  However, maybe if it'd actually be easier just to modify the soruce and recompile && install.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
June 15, 2015, 03:14:36 PM
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481
June 15, 2015, 06:35:15 AM
Yes, that's it!
So whenever I go to request coins it creates a new receiving address.
Since I had to explore it to find my addresses I probably touched request coins several times before finding them and then I ended up adding several BTC addresses.

It sounds weird to me anyway.

Thanks man!

It also creates a new address for change each time you spend some BTC and require a change address.  But these days bitcoin wallet for android is using addresses created deterministically from a seed of tweleve ascii english words.  You can find those words in your wallet backup.  Anyway, I thought I'd just add this fact in case you didn't realize that all of those addresses you're creating can be "rediscovered" from the seed---so no worries about needing a new backup each time you make an address.

Ok, I got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
legendary
June 14, 2015, 02:14:07 PM
Yes, that's it!
Since I had to explore it to find my addresses I probably touched request coins several times before finding them and then I ended up adding several BTC addresses.

Thanks man!

It also creates a new address for change each time you spend some BTC and require a change address.  But these days bitcoin wallet for android is using addresses created deterministically from a seed of tweleve ascii english words.  You can find those words in your wallet backup.  Anyway, I thought I'd just add this fact in case you didn't realize that all of those addresses you're creating can be "rediscovered" from the seed---so no worries about needing a new backup each time you make an address.
legendary
June 14, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?

How would it know you've never used an address?

In other words, an address should be considered "used" as soon as you give it to someone else. There's no way to know if that someone else will spend to that address right away, or at some point in the future.

Some wallets wait for a transaction to show up in the blockchain before an address is considered used, or else require that you mark it as used manually. That's OK, but it's not as safe IMO because it requires you to track your address usage manually.

I'll make myself clear:
I installed it to try it as pocket money...
Whenever I start it I find a new address even if I never used any of them...
That's strange isn't it?

From my experience it creates a new address whenever you go to 'Request coins'. That's because by doing that you are saying you will receive coins from a new transaction and therefore a new address is needed.

Are you saying it creates a new address even without  requesting coins? That would be strange indeed.

Yes, that's it!

Thanks man!
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469
https://Ecua.Mobi
June 14, 2015, 11:09:48 AM
Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?

In other words, an address should be considered "used" as soon as you give it to someone else. There's no way to know if that someone else will spend to that address right away, or at some point in the future.

Some wallets wait for a transaction to show up in the blockchain before an address is considered used, or else require that you mark it as used manually. That's OK, but it's not as safe IMO because it requires you to track your address usage manually.

I'll make myself clear:
That's strange isn't it?

From my experience it creates a new address whenever you go to 'Request coins'. That's because by doing that you are saying you will receive coins from a new transaction and therefore a new address is needed.

Are you saying it creates a new address even without  requesting coins? That would be strange indeed.
legendary
June 14, 2015, 10:15:29 AM

I'll make myself clear:
That's strange isn't it?
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
June 14, 2015, 07:57:52 AM

legendary
June 14, 2015, 07:45:04 AM
Activity: 968
Merit: 515
May 29, 2015, 11:05:37 AM
Would be nice to prevent other people from accessing the app with a pin (not only spending).
legendary
March 31, 2015, 04:22:19 PM
Labeling own addresses will be in the next release. You can help testing: https://plus.google.com/+AndreasSchildbach/posts/YHpkmLP9D1A

Oh cool!  I'm currently back on an old telephone using some old software while I wait for my current phone to get repaired.  As soon as I get my current phone back, I'm going to try out the latest (and I'm also glad to hear that you brought back address labelling!)
sed
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
March 30, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
No one stops you from re-using addresses if you really want that. Just press "request coins" several times and hand these payment requests to different payers.

Yah, but it's sad that we can't label our own addresses and sort them easily by payments received.  I think this would be really helpful.  bitcoind has this "listreceivedbyaddress" if I recall correctly.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
March 25, 2015, 11:40:20 AM
No one stops you from re-using addresses if you really want that. Just press "request coins" several times and hand these payment requests to different payers.
sed
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
February 17, 2015, 02:07:49 PM
I wish they would bring this back.  There was this whole thing about resuse of addresses and fungibility of bitcoin and many of the main thinkers started to say that HD wallets were going to be the future and whatnot and I think this is why andreas removed some of the address sorting functionality.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469
https://Ecua.Mobi
February 17, 2015, 01:47:14 AM
Please bring back a way to generate a deposit addy and share this addy.
Although you're technically correct in preceding a payment request with "bitcoin:", it's unpractical.

I really need the option to create several addresses for several payers. Is it coming back?

Pages:
Jump to: