Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 3. (Read 121199 times)

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
February 15, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
Please bring back a way to generate a deposit addy and share this addy.
Although you're technically correct in preceding a payment request with "bitcoin:", it's unpractical.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
February 04, 2015, 12:21:26 AM
The fee needs to be changed to 0.0001

I'm sick of my transactions taking an hour to get confirmed.

I'm still waiting!

There is it already.
When you are on the send page, click on three dots at the upper right, than "Quick confirm, higher fee [ ]"
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
February 03, 2015, 09:55:44 PM

I'm still waiting!
Activity: 40
February 03, 2015, 09:25:09 PM

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
December 01, 2014, 10:58:51 AM
I recently updated (ver 4.something, I think).  Now I note that android (4.4.4) thinks that all .apk files are to be handled by Bitcoin Wallet.  That is, if I download an apk, instead of getting processed by com.android.packageinstaller, it gets opened by Bitcoin Wallet which says "hey, you're about to update your wallet, provide the password".  For a moment, I thought that these were malware apks trying to steal my bitcoins, then I looked closer and realized that they were not malicious apps, only that my android system seems to (after the upgrade) pass all .apk files to bitcoin wallet for interpretation.  FWIW, I was able to install my apk files by simply opening Terminal Emulator and running 'pm install path/to/apk/file.apk', nevertheless, I'd like to fix this so that clicking apk files doesn't automatically open Bitcoin Wallet.  I note as well that I looked into the app settings and it currently shows "no defaults set" for Bitcoin Wallet.

Any advice is welcome.
sed
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
November 24, 2014, 02:20:31 PM
I've decrypted the exported key backup files before.  The format was just a plain text format---pretty easy to modify if you wanted to do so.  I don't know if that's the protobuf thing you're talking about or not.

The decryption part isn't too hard because you can use the fairly standard openssl command-line tool, however starting with version 3.47 the decrypted format changed from a text file containing WIF-style privkeys to a Google Protocol Buffer format. There are some advantages to the new format, and there's plenty of documentation on Google protobuf, however until someone writes some software to handle the new format, it's not particularly easy to deal with.

Aha, that's very interesting.  Indeed I used the openssl command line tool just as you said.  I didn't realize that there was a new format.  I guess I don't play around in those backup files very often Smiley
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
November 23, 2014, 07:41:29 PM
I've decrypted the exported key backup files before.  The format was just a plain text format---pretty easy to modify if you wanted to do so.  I don't know if that's the protobuf thing you're talking about or not.

The decryption part isn't too hard because you can use the fairly standard openssl command-line tool, however starting with version 3.47 the decrypted format changed from a text file containing WIF-style privkeys to a Google Protocol Buffer format. There are some advantages to the new format, and there's plenty of documentation on Google protobuf, however until someone writes some software to handle the new format, it's not particularly easy to deal with.
sed
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
November 23, 2014, 12:30:10 PM
Since my own thread doesn't get much attention I'm going to ask it here:

Is there by chance any method to remove an address from my wallet? Either by modifying the backup (which I just can't decode for some reason) or in the app itself?

I have an address that receives many big transactions and it completly kills the app, yet I want to keep using the other addresses that I have if possible.

Assuming that the address you want to remove was created prior to version 4.0 (roughly the beginning of October), and that you're running a recent version today (3.47 or later), it is theoretically possible but would be a giant pain, not to mention fraught with peril. (If you're currently running version 3.47 or older, it's actually much easier. If the address you want to remove was created after version 4.0, it may not even be possible).

So, how important is it to keep you old addresses? Is it worth a few hours of your time? More importantly, is it worth paying somebody else for a few hours of their time to figure out and document how to do this (would involve decrypting a backup (easyish), modifying a protobuf-format wallet file (not so easy...), and re-encrypting it (easyish) so that it can be restored in the app)?

If you're an IT person and would like to try figuring it out yourself, I could give you some starting points, but like I said it won't be easy....

Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
November 20, 2014, 07:19:18 PM

Is there by chance any method to remove an address from my wallet? Either by modifying the backup (which I just can't decode for some reason) or in the app itself?

I have an address that receives many big transactions and it completly kills the app, yet I want to keep using the other addresses that I have if possible.

Assuming that the address you want to remove was created prior to version 4.0 (roughly the beginning of October), and that you're running a recent version today (3.47 or later), it is theoretically possible but would be a giant pain, not to mention fraught with peril. (If you're currently running a version older than 3.47, it's actually much easier. If the address you want to remove was created after version 4.0, it may not even be possible).

So, how important is it to keep your old addresses? Is it worth a few hours of your time? More importantly, is it worth paying somebody else for a few hours of their time to figure out and document how to do this (would involve decrypting a backup (easyish), modifying a protobuf-format wallet file (not so easy...), and re-encrypting it (easyish) so that it can be restored in the app)?

If you're an IT person and would like to try figuring it out yourself, I could give you some starting points, but like I said it won't be easy....
Activity: 11
November 17, 2014, 06:39:44 AM

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
November 12, 2014, 04:37:24 PM
... OK, it's true, i have missed the point of the wallet backup in the memory of phone.
(be carefull, titanium backup don't store the SDCARD0). Wink
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
November 12, 2014, 10:27:14 AM
What can I do?

Nothing ... if you don't have back it up from the android wallet (specific menu "security" with the line "backup wallet now"), the backup file store in the "download" folder on SDCARD0 (internal memory on v4.3 android, external memory on v4.2 or older android).

You have cleared the install (data of application), your phone have erased the wallet file with this process.

Titanium Backup, if done on a rooted phone, should back up ALL data, unless this wallet stores its private keys in some strange location.
legendary
November 12, 2014, 07:56:54 AM
What can I do?

Nothing ... if you don't have back it up from the android wallet (specific menu "security" with the line "backup wallet now"), the backup file store in the "download" folder on SDCARD0 (internal memory on v4.3 android, external memory on v4.2 or older android).

You have cleared the install (data of application), your phone have erased the wallet file with this process.
legendary
November 12, 2014, 07:54:23 AM
Thanks for the corrections :

- correction of the network statut (delay in weeks or day before BTC is displayed) after have insert a private IP adress from a bitcoin core server

- add of phrase to warning user to not store a high amount of BTC on a phone when you raise a specific amount (  Grin ... )
Activity: 1
November 05, 2014, 09:17:14 AM
I had wallet version 3.56(177) with bitcoins used few months (backuped in Titanium Backup app+data)
I wasnt updating  to v.4.0 and I see that my wallet 3.56 hasnt all my bitcoins (last transactions from a few weeks) after synchronization.

So then I updated wallet to 4.09(199) and it crash every start... So I cleared cache of wallet and reinstall wallet version 4.09(199) and backup only data by Titanium backup (data from wallet version 3.56(177)). When statring wallet i have only white screen with wallet logo (tested for 5hours) and nothing...
What can I do?
Activity: 4
November 05, 2014, 08:18:13 AM
Based on bitcoinj, I've created and uploaded a first, experimental Bitcoin wallet implementation for Android:

http://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

You can send money just by scanning a QR code the app displays. You need to install one of the QR code scanning apps for this to work (e.g. "Goggle").

The app currently only works for testnet. Because testnet is very slow in transaction processing, it currently takes ages to update the wallet. Unfortunately, I can't switch to prodnet, because Android apps only got 4 MB of heap memory and that's not enough for the blockchain. You can use the emulator and assign a max heap size of 32 MB though.

GPLv3'ed source available here: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/

Comments anyone?

Regards,

Andreas

I agree that blockchain handling in BitCoinJ needs a lot of work..any transactions will might be at stake...you need to be sure that it alwasy safe to do it...
Activity: 11
October 28, 2014, 06:05:19 PM
My mininghost pays me on a daily basis but as a side effect all those huge transactions the app becomes almost unusable. Sending coins to other addresses is almost impossible. I am pretty sure this is unnecessarily, since any crawler can be used to obtain only data I am interested in, without downloading all other addresses in the transaction.

There is no way for me to fix this problem without completly wiping my wallet, something I absolutly don't want to do. Is there any plan to fix this, or is there a workaround for my problem?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
October 26, 2014, 02:13:12 AM
Hi, Look the screenshot

[...]

Device: Xiaomi Mi3
Latest version of Bitcoin Wallet Android
Language: Portuguese Brazilian

Same on a Galaxy Grand. The camera can still be activated, even the icon shows only half.
Activity: 312
Merit: 250
October 25, 2014, 04:36:18 PM
Hi, Look the screenshot

Device: Xiaomi Mi3
Latest version of Bitcoin Wallet Android
Language: Portuguese Brazilian
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
October 07, 2014, 05:45:31 PM
When I decrypt BW's backup with openssl, it looks like there's a 12-word seed at/near the top of the output. Is that standard to be imported to other clients?
Pages:
Jump to: