Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 4. (Read 121196 times)

sed
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
October 03, 2014, 04:30:10 PM
I'm quite worried about being about to keep track of my addresses once you implement HD wallet.  I'm not yet onboard with the no address reusing and I'm quite worried that your upgrade to HD wallet will end up with me losing my bitcoins.  I'm sure this has to do with a lack of education on my part, can you comment on this?

Why exactly do you think you'd loose Bitcoins? Maybe it helps if you know the first HD release will never forget addresses. So even if someone continues re-using one of your address, you'll still receive all those transactions.

Finally, can you comment on my above question with respect to the bitcoin rpc command 'listreceivedbyaddress' and the lack of ability to do this in Bitcoin Wallet for Android?

Bitcoin Wallet currently doesn't support any fund separation by design, to keep the app simple. Even if it would, it would probably not use addresses for that but instead manage multiple wallets or HD chains.

Thanks Andreas, I obviously need to read up a bit more about HD wallets.  Also, thanks to you for great open-source software that I can modify to implement my own listreceivedbyaddress should I be sufficiently inspired.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
October 02, 2014, 04:27:06 AM
If your device is rooted, you can see the private key using root explorer.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
October 02, 2014, 04:01:45 AM
I'm quite worried about being about to keep track of my addresses once you implement HD wallet.  I'm not yet onboard with the no address reusing and I'm quite worried that your upgrade to HD wallet will end up with me losing my bitcoins.  I'm sure this has to do with a lack of education on my part, can you comment on this?

Why exactly do you think you'd loose Bitcoins? Maybe it helps if you know the first HD release will never forget addresses. So even if someone continues re-using one of your address, you'll still receive all those transactions.

Finally, can you comment on my above question with respect to the bitcoin rpc command 'listreceivedbyaddress' and the lack of ability to do this in Bitcoin Wallet for Android?

Bitcoin Wallet currently doesn't support any fund separation by design, to keep the app simple. Even if it would, it would probably not use addresses for that but instead manage multiple wallets or HD chains.
sed
October 01, 2014, 02:06:22 PM

September 21, 2014, 05:51:21 PM
Contact developer to determine how to export an unencrypted private key.

There is no unencrypted export. You could backup your wallet, decrypt that using openssl (see README) then use wallet-tool that comes with bitcoinj to view the wallet and extract the private key.

Is there an ETA for the following:
 * HD wallet
 * Password protect app
Thnx

HD wallet: Soon.
Password/PIN encrypted wallet: Will be the next feature after HD wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
September 21, 2014, 07:59:20 AM
HD wallet is in early beta testing now.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
September 01, 2014, 03:05:30 PM
Is there an ETA for the following:
 * HD wallet
 * Password protect app
Thnx
Activity: 561
Institute of Advance Blockchain Research
August 30, 2014, 01:40:39 PM
Greetings,

Hopefully im in the right place..

I have a minor situation on my hand.

Maybe the community can help a young fellow out.

Some how i managed to send Mastercoins to my andreas btc App

On my android smartphone but i dont have a SD card slot on my phone.

Ive contacted the MasterCoin team about the matter and this the reply:

Yes, your private key is inside the app.
 I downloaded and set the app up it does
 allow you to backup/export your private keys
 via email or drop box unfortunately it looks like
it forces encryption on the backup. I am not aware
if we can decrypt the encrypted backup but will try to
 look into it.

Contact developer to determine how to export an unencrypted private key.

Maybe the DEV can PM... dont wont to take up to much of your time.

Regards
Peer2Peer360
sed
August 10, 2014, 04:23:49 AM
BitCoinJ's problem of storage will be resolved by these thus its a welcome development

Can you elaborate?

I've been using it for up to 2 months now and its not giving me problems I suggest upgrading to newer versions.

What are you talking about?  I've been using this bitcoin wallet for nearly 1.5 years, I have no problems with it.  I'm running android 4.4 (there is no newer android at the moment).

I'm talking about the fact that we can and name multiple addresses but we can't sort transactions based on which addresses were involved.  It's a feature request, not a bug report.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 09, 2014, 08:22:51 AM
I've been using it for up to 2 months now and its not giving me problems I suggest upgrading to newer versions.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 09, 2014, 08:09:54 AM
BitCoinJ's problem of storage will be resolved by these thus its a welcome development
sed
August 05, 2014, 07:30:37 PM
I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?

I did not implement anything like this. Generally it is not recommended to manage addresses manually.

Hmm, I thought that was one of the main reasons you might provide "names" for addresses.  If I give you an address to pay me on and I name it "payments_from_AS" then if I want to see how much you've paid me or if you've paid me recently, I want some way to see only the payments to this address, right?  What other reason do we have for "naming" addresses in receiving addresses?

That's right, it used to be like this. It works because most clients still reuse addresses (including Bitcoin Wallet). In future, addresses will not be reused, so there is no point in labeling them.

Information about who and for what you paid will be attached to the transactions themselves, or in the far future payment objects that bundle 1..n transactions.

I'm sure when we're at that point there will be ways to search, e.g. for payments to a specific merchant.

I think you're actually saying that "it is still like this" but that you predict a future in which case addresses will not be resused. It seems like for the present, in which we can label addresses in our bitcoin wallets (including the android Bitcoin Wallet), it would be useful to be able to sort our list of "received" based on which address did the receiving.  We already have the labels and we already have a list of received, we're really just missing the sort functionality.  In bitcoind there's a command to list all received by address.  Is there no easy correllary in bitcoinj?

Speaking of the future, it seems like as long as people want an offline node for "cold storage" of funds, they'll be some folks reusing addresses, right?

Thanks for the wonderful software, by the way! For the moment, I can click on each received transaction one at a time and see which address received it by looking it up in a blockchain explorer.    So I can eventually tell which address received a particular transaction listed in the wallet, it's just a little annoying to have to go to a web-browser for this.

Are you sure there's no easy way to modify Bitcoin Wallet to allow us to see which address received a particular transaction?
August 05, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?

I did not implement anything like this. Generally it is not recommended to manage addresses manually.

Hmm, I thought that was one of the main reasons you might provide "names" for addresses.  If I give you an address to pay me on and I name it "payments_from_AS" then if I want to see how much you've paid me or if you've paid me recently, I want some way to see only the payments to this address, right?  What other reason do we have for "naming" addresses in receiving addresses?

That's right, it used to be like this. It works because most clients still reuse addresses (including Bitcoin Wallet). In future, addresses will not be reused, so there is no point in labeling them.

Information about who and for what you paid will be attached to the transactions themselves, or in the far future payment objects that bundle 1..n transactions.

I'm sure when we're at that point there will be ways to search, e.g. for payments to a specific merchant.
sed
August 05, 2014, 03:33:32 PM

August 04, 2014, 03:26:49 AM

Activity: 51
Merit: 0
August 03, 2014, 12:56:53 PM
~~sorry but just wanted to ask whether there is also a bitcoin wallet for ios, it would take much am glad for any help~~
~~thanks in advance~~
sed
July 24, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
I've used this wallet for sometime as a day-to-day "hotwallet".  I do have a feature request, or possibly I just don't know how to use the wallet.  I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
June 14, 2014, 10:26:28 PM
Is this wallet still available? I can find Andreas Schildbach's apps on Google Play, all but the actual wallet.

I have the same question too. I see that there are few updates. Is this wallet ok to use? Besides having a problem when having lots of transactions is there any other big issue with this wallet?

Is there another decent/better Android Wallet?

I thought Mycelium is the successor of this wallet.
This is not true.  I have this wallet and use it almost every day.  Great wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
June 14, 2014, 07:53:57 PM
Is this wallet still available? I can find Andreas Schildbach's apps on Google Play, all but the actual wallet.

I have the same question too. I see that there are few updates. Is this wallet ok to use? Besides having a problem when having lots of transactions is there any other big issue with this wallet?

Thank you. I haven't read anything about Android wallets and when I started my research the information seems to be a bit scarce.

I think Android and iOS should have their own separate sub-forums for an easier access to information because when you enter the Alternative clients forum I saw the Android word and went straight there.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
June 14, 2014, 05:49:22 AM

Pages:
Jump to: