Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 10. (Read 121199 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
August 14, 2013, 12:30:06 PM
Continued from another thread:

Can you reason this claim? Bitcoin Wallet also is "immediate available", has a very low bandwidth requirement and power consumption. The Bitcoin P2P protocol is very efficient (its binary), so how can Mycelium get any better than that?

Any plans for private key management from you guys? That is Mycelium's best "killer feature" right now.

I would also like to know. BWA is impressive at many levels, and priv key management would make it stunning!

Can you be more specific? Try to describe a usecase.

Delete private key and only keep public to monitor amount.
Import public and / or private key by scanning QR code, so you can monitor and/or spend
Keep private key on paper, and public key in wallet. To spend money, QR scan the private key, store only in memory, spend from private key, and wipe from memory, never saving to storage

These are things Mycelium does now

Another feature I would love to see is deterministic wallets. Back up only backs up the deterministic seed. Every time you spend from an address, all bitcoins are spent, with part going to the person receiving, and the change part going into a new address. The only empty address gets archived and is unused, but can be restored if needed.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
August 14, 2013, 11:42:19 AM

Can you reason this claim? Bitcoin Wallet also is "immediate available", has a very low bandwidth requirement and power consumption. The Bitcoin P2P protocol is very efficient (its binary), so how can Mycelium get any better than that?

Any plans for private key management from you guys? That is Mycelium's best "killer feature" right now.

I would also like to know. BWA is impressive at many levels, and priv key management would make it stunning!

Can you be more specific? Try to describe a usecase.
Activity: 756
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
August 14, 2013, 11:21:33 AM

• Unlike the Android Bitcoin Wallet, Mycelium does not connect directly to several nodes in the Bitcoin network. This means less bandwidth requirement for your mobile plan, less power consumption, and immediate availability, but also means that the server side could establish IP/address relations. (which it doesn't)

August 13, 2013, 05:17:12 PM
Goonie, now that I have the 3.15 release on my phone, can I be sure that new transactions will not send change back to any of the old addresses that were generated by pre-3.15 versions?

Yes, you're safe. Insecure addresses are excluded from any of the internal operations, except for still showing them in the address list for reference.

By the way: Even if you receive more coins to one of the insecure addresses (which you should try to avoid), a new key rotate transaction will be created for that amount.
Activity: 84
Merit: 14
August 13, 2013, 08:07:48 AM
Goonie, now that I have the 3.15 release on my phone, can I be sure that new transactions will not send change back to any of the old addresses that were generated by pre-3.15 versions?
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
August 13, 2013, 04:49:24 AM
That's probably because of the staged rollout. I expect to increase percentage later today. If you don't want to wait, use the link above.
I got the update notification today.
August 12, 2013, 08:23:35 AM
Its already on 50% rollout. If you don't want to wait, you may want to install directly from
http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list
Ah yes, I see it in the Play Store.
But I don't get an update-option.
The app still says it's version 3.14 and that it's using bitcoinj 0.9
Did you update the About-info?

That's probably because of the staged rollout. I expect to increase percentage later today. If you don't want to wait, use the link above.
August 12, 2013, 08:12:08 AM
Its already on 50% rollout. If you don't want to wait, you may want to install directly from
Ah yes, I see it in the Play Store.
But I don't get an update-option.
The app still says it's version 3.14 and that it's using bitcoinj 0.9
Did you update the About-info?
August 12, 2013, 08:04:49 AM
Any idea when the new version 3.15 will be rolled out on Google Play?

August 12, 2013, 07:59:35 AM
Any idea when the new version 3.15 will be rolled out on Google Play?
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
August 11, 2013, 03:03:56 PM
As soon as you upgrade, it will create a "rotate transaction", sending your funds over to a fresh, secure key.

Important: You need to backup your wallet again, because of the added key. The old keys will not be included in the backup, so keep your old backups around just in case.

You should allow the user to backup the new key before transferring the bitcoins.
August 11, 2013, 01:12:37 PM
Sorry for not replying for a few days, had to prepare the update. Please read:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/important-android-key-rotation-271846

Forget about all those trivial issues above.  I think this is a much more important issue to discuss:

Hello,

The problem is that the bitcoin application generates bad signatures, reusing random numbers. In this case this transaction was the culprit:

https://blockchain.info/de/tx/54ac98e2301b9c7fdab5cfe93907032cc1248f9d5995cee70f38e98ba93d2d7f

Can you confirm that the transaction (sending 0.02 BTC to 1DzUV...) was generated by the android app?  You should send a bug report to the author of the app you used to generate this transaction.  The problem is that it uses the same r-value b8e6c364b50eada68923eb07930b294411826e6068f0dcbe7514154881d75812 twice in the signature, which is enough to break the ECDSA signature scheme and reveal the public key (5HrE9sgmeWu6mW...). Everyone can break the key with this information.

This problem occurs more and more frequently in recent times.  Usually there is a transaction to the 1Hkywx.. address within a few hours after the bad transaction, so it seems someone has a script that monitors this problem.  

At the moment there are 147 exposed keys.  The recent ones usually have a lot of transactions before the problem occurs, so it seems to occur rarely, but it occurs several times a month (worldwide).

I hope this post sheds some light into the problem.

Technical discussion of this specific issued moved to here:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bad-signatures-leading-to-5582152538-btc-theft-so-far-271486
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
August 10, 2013, 10:25:01 AM
Forget about all those trivial issues above.  I think this is a much more important issue to discuss:

Hello,

The problem is that the bitcoin application generates bad signatures, reusing random numbers. In this case this transaction was the culprit:

https://blockchain.info/de/tx/54ac98e2301b9c7fdab5cfe93907032cc1248f9d5995cee70f38e98ba93d2d7f

Can you confirm that the transaction (sending 0.02 BTC to 1DzUV...) was generated by the android app?  You should send a bug report to the author of the app you used to generate this transaction.  The problem is that it uses the same r-value b8e6c364b50eada68923eb07930b294411826e6068f0dcbe7514154881d75812 twice in the signature, which is enough to break the ECDSA signature scheme and reveal the public key (5HrE9sgmeWu6mW...). Everyone can break the key with this information.

This problem occurs more and more frequently in recent times.  Usually there is a transaction to the 1Hkywx.. address within a few hours after the bad transaction, so it seems someone has a script that monitors this problem.  

At the moment there are 147 exposed keys.  The recent ones usually have a lot of transactions before the problem occurs, so it seems to occur rarely, but it occurs several times a month (worldwide).

I hope this post sheds some light into the problem.

Technical discussion of this specific issued moved to here:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bad-signatures-leading-to-5582152538-btc-theft-so-far-271486
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
August 10, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
I LOVE this wallet and have been using it for a very long time.

However, I am THIS close to uninstalling it because it automatically starts up when I do not want it to.  Please add a checkbox/option so I can turn off this feature.  I want to start it up when I want to start it up.  When I plug in my phone to charge it, most of the time I do not want it to auto start.

Please, pretty please.

+1
I think there's an option for this already, I'm sure its disabled on my phone.

EDIT: 1st option in settings, "Sync on power". A disconnect on close option would be appreciated here though.
Thanks!  Sorry I missed that option.  I will give it a try.
The reason I missed that option is that it no longer exists!
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
August 07, 2013, 12:17:46 PM
I think what it might be beneficial if some of you guys fork the project, or pay someone to do it for you.

There is a growing pile of feature requests here that are basically pointless, but a small number of people feel very strongly about, like being able to explicitly set fees or control the precise times the app runs.

It's fine to say "it should only start when I want it to start" or "the point of bitcoin is control" but that feedback is nonsensical. These aren't reasons, they're emotions. Just plug your phone in and watch adb logcat for a while, you'll see your phone is always doing lots of things in the background. This is really common and normal behaviour for Android smartphones. If you're bothered by the connection bars in your tray, go into settings and disable that so you don't see any evidence it's connecting, done.

If app developers don't push back on this kind of request, you end up with this:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/11/this-is-what-happens-when-you-let-developers-create-ui.html

A setting for everything, but I just want to send my money!

A "Bitcoin Wallet for Experts" app might be appropriate. You could use the same codebase and add whatever features anyone wants.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
August 07, 2013, 11:44:03 AM
I LOVE this wallet and have been using it for a very long time.

However, I am THIS close to uninstalling it because it automatically starts up when I do not want it to.  Please add a checkbox/option so I can turn off this feature.  I want to start it up when I want to start it up.  When I plug in my phone to charge it, most of the time I do not want it to auto start.

Please, pretty please.

+1
July 23, 2013, 01:49:09 PM
OK. Just seems to be stuck.
Been showing 90.56USD all day. Maybe longer.

It's a weighted average. In case of Bitcoincharts and USD, it's weighted both over time (24h) and 13 exchanges:

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
July 23, 2013, 12:57:54 PM
OK. Just seems to be stuck.
Been showing 90.56USD all day. Maybe longer.
July 23, 2013, 12:35:29 PM
How/when are the exchange rates updated?
I can't find a way of doing it manually.

Rates are taken from Bitcoincharts, and if that's not available blockchain.info. Its refreshed every 10 minutes.

What do you want to do manually?
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
July 23, 2013, 12:28:16 PM
How/when are the exchange rates updated?
I can't find a way of doing it manually.
Pages:
Jump to: