Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoincard.org - page 11. (Read 29276 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
May 27, 2012, 11:09:54 AM
How are you going to do a Bitcoin tx when neither party has access to the internet?

Do some research on the matter.

No thanks.

No reason for a smartphone to have internet when you don't want it to.  "Airplane mode" disables all radios at the device level.  Kinda hard to be online when you have no signal. Wink

Unless you intend to carry a second phone to actually make calls, texts or use the Internet while mobile; you're going to turn that mode off eventually.  I'm not concerned about a live hacker taking my money, I'm concerned about a worm or virus that steals android wallets.  That only takes a few seconds.

So what is the difference between 1 phone + 1 phone being used as a dedicated bitcoin device  vs 1 phone + dedicated bitcoin device.

My point is the hardware already exists.  It is called a smartphone.  It has everything you need including connectivity and software.

For most casual users a single device is fine for the paranoid just carry two.  
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
May 27, 2012, 10:01:59 AM
Ah, I see.  A bitcoin card can't be a  passive RFID.  It has to be an active id by it's nature.  Good luck cloning those.

Just to nitpick, I know you're trying to say that the card must be "active" in the general sense that it must perform computation, which is true.  But "passive" and "active" refer to the power source, which is technically irrelevant.

The power source could be passive.  The thing that prevents cloning is the design and the user interface.  Simplistic RFID tags are not designed to be secure and obviously lack a secure user interface.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
May 27, 2012, 09:32:05 AM

Ah, I see.  A bitcoin card can't be a  passive RFID.  It has to be an active id by it's nature.  Good luck cloning those.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
May 27, 2012, 09:25:59 AM
legendary
May 27, 2012, 09:19:11 AM
What will stop people from going around with a Proxmark and cloning those cards?

What is a proxmark?
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
May 27, 2012, 07:47:13 AM
What will stop people from going around with a Proxmark and cloning those cards?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
May 27, 2012, 05:15:45 AM
http://www.servalproject.org/  they have mesh networking on android....Ive actually used it in Melbourne Cheesy

This looks promising!

I notice they don't have a bitcoin donation address yet though. Sad
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
May 27, 2012, 02:20:09 AM
http://www.servalproject.org/  they have mesh networking on android....Ive actually used it in Melbourne Cheesy
legendary
May 26, 2012, 11:24:37 PM
Smartphones are just computers that are always accessible to the Internet.  Android can be, and has been, hacked.  No thanks.  I have an android phone and won't keep more than petty cash on it.  I want a device that is inherently more secure than an operating system with continuous Internet access that can still transact in a relatively conveint fashion.  I can have a perfectly secure savings account printed onto archival paper & in my safe that I can send money to all day, but I can't readily use that on a normal basis though.

How are you going to do a Bitcoin tx when neither party has access to the internet?

Do some research on the matter.

No reason for a smartphone to have internet when you don't want it to.  "Airplane mode" disables all radios at the device level.  Kinda hard to be online when you have no signal. Wink

Unless you intend to carry a second phone to actually make calls, texts or use the Internet while mobile; you're going to turn that mode off eventually.  I'm not concerned about a live hacker taking my money, I'm concerned about a worm or virus that steals android wallets.  That only takes a few seconds.
donator
Gerald Davis
May 26, 2012, 08:33:17 PM
Smartphones are just computers that are always accessible to the Internet.  Android can be, and has been, hacked.  No thanks.  I have an android phone and won't keep more than petty cash on it.  I want a device that is inherently more secure than an operating system with continuous Internet access that can still transact in a relatively conveint fashion.  I can have a perfectly secure savings account printed onto archival paper & in my safe that I can send money to all day, but I can't readily use that on a normal basis though.

No reason for a smartphone to have internet when you don't want it to.  "Airplane mode" disables all radios at the device level.  Kinda hard to be online when you have no signal. Wink
Activity: 868
May 26, 2012, 07:20:16 PM
Thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
May 26, 2012, 06:12:03 PM
A bunch of us are flying out to Austria next month to see the product in action.

Will keep everyone updated

Hello Yankee,

Any news about this device?

News will arrive around June 10-15th  Wink
legendary
May 26, 2012, 05:22:43 PM
Their design includes a trusted server, which should NOT be necessary for bitcoins.
Well, when you can design a credit-card sized device that can hold and process the entire Bitcoin blockchain, you let us know!  Wink
That is not necessary, a smartcard just needs to sign transactions and updating the future multi-gig blockchain on that vapor devices connection is not gonna happen anyway.

Plus the smartphone will be the platform of the future.  Android smartphones are now as cheap as $149 on prepaid plan without contract and there are prepaid plans as cheap as $30 per month.

Activity: 868
May 26, 2012, 05:11:56 PM
A bunch of us are flying out to Austria next month to see the product in action.

Will keep everyone updated

Hello Yankee,

Any news about this device?
donator
Gerald Davis
May 17, 2012, 08:37:00 AM
Their design includes a trusted server, which should NOT be necessary for bitcoins.
Well, when you can design a credit-card sized device that can hold and process the entire Bitcoin blockchain, you let us know!  Wink
That is not necessary, a smartcard just needs to sign transactions and updating the future multi-gig blockchain on that vapor devices connection is not gonna happen anyway.

Plus the smartphone will be the platform of the future.  Android smartphones are now as cheap as $149 on prepaid plan without contract and there are prepaid plans as cheap as $30 per month.

Things like Google wallet & NFC are going to be the next killer app (NFC is useful for more than just payments it can replace membership cards, loyalty cards, metro cards, basically every piece of plastic in your wallet).

I love my SamSung Galaxy Nexus.  Google gives you $10 free to put on a prepaid "card" in the wallet.  I bought a soda & hotdog from 7-11 by tapping my phone.  Pretty cool tech that just works.  This will get people use to the idea of digital "money" and the smartphone as the payment platform.

While Google may never support Bitcoin other apps can use NFC hardware.  If 7-11 wanted to accept Bitcoins tomorrow the hardware is already in place in their 30,000 stores.  All they need is the backend software to process, verify, and route a signed Bitcoin tx received by NFC.

NFC & Smartphones will be gateway to mass usage of Bitcoin.  NFC can also be used point to point.  Say your friend owes you $10.  You make a payment request for 2 BTC (pretty much 2 or 3 clicks in a smartphone wallet app).  You tap your phone against his.  He gets the payment request his wallet app opens up showing the amount, note, address.  He enters his pin and your get a the 0-confirm notification in seconds.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 17, 2012, 06:35:40 AM
All the advertising shit at the end pisses me off. I hope that is strictly opt-in, and can be disabled. However, I recognize that that is probably the only thing that will sell it to big businesses.  Undecided

Same here... I was happy until the part about when they track people buying stuff... That killed it for me!
Activity: 815
May 06, 2012, 08:12:57 PM
legendary
May 02, 2012, 01:41:23 PM
Only if she travels beyond a single hop range, and again, if I know generally where she is going (say the mall or a public park) I don't need to know precisely where to meet her if I need to drive to pick her up.  I couldn't text her from the house if she was beyond the single hop range, but if I sent a text like "I'm on my way to pick you up, we're going to grandma's, be ready" the text would arrive at her card as soon as I were close enough for a single hop to work.

Why not a simple SMS instead?

If you had read the thread, I mentioned that I can do that all now if I'm willing to pay for a cell phone & service, but I can avoid such charges with a meshable device.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
May 02, 2012, 10:31:35 AM
Only if she travels beyond a single hop range, and again, if I know generally where she is going (say the mall or a public park) I don't need to know precisely where to meet her if I need to drive to pick her up.  I couldn't text her from the house if she was beyond the single hop range, but if I sent a text like "I'm on my way to pick you up, we're going to grandma's, be ready" the text would arrive at her card as soon as I were close enough for a single hop to work.

Why not a simple SMS instead?
legendary
May 02, 2012, 10:17:38 AM
Yes, but if the device is cheap enough, there are uses for the device that would drive adoption that does not necessarily depend upon a critical mass to support mesh networking.
I agree perfectly but my understanding is that without mesh support that device would be more or less useless.

That is my point, I have personal uses for a number of such devices that would encourage me to deliberately create a mesh network within my own family.
I'm sorry I miss how the mesh network in your home would be useful for you:

1) for being functional, the bitcoincard needs a POS that serves as a gateway between your cards (any of them) and the Internet: you can't use other ones because bitcoincard uses radio frequency and not wifi or other widely deployed technology

I'd likely buy a usb dongle to serve this purpose in my own home, in order to keep my own cards up to date.

2) when you give the card to your daughter and she walks away from your home it become useless because the mesh network is not operable any more

Pages:
Jump to: