Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica stolen coin returns - page 6. (Read 13110 times)

legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
May 20, 2012, 02:54:45 PM
So we know he doesn't like Bitcoinica because he thinks it harms Bitcoin. So, he likes Bitcoin but not Bitcoinica.

Maybe.

This was the topic of the IRC channel, before luke-jr started to act like a frack'n lunatic and change it.

" STATEMENT:: Bitcoinica caused much harm to the value of Bitcoin. They were targeted and destroyed. As sure as Bitcoinica fell, the value of Bitcoin rose. Profit from devaluation surely destroys a currency."

Ahh. Thanks. That clears it up. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
May 20, 2012, 02:46:21 PM
So we know he doesn't like Bitcoinica because he thinks it harms Bitcoin. So, he likes Bitcoin but not Bitcoinica.

The only extrapolation I would make is that he doesn't understand economics very well and thinks derivatives, short-selling, etc. are evil capitalist things.

The problem is that this guy sees what Wall Street does and thinks when Bitcoinica does it it must also be evil. The evil part of Wall Street is not the derivatives, short-selling, etc. It's the fact that when their investments and risks go bust they get FedGov to print new money up out of thin air to bail them out. This leads to moral hazard by essentially risking other people's money.

But when individuals risk their OWN money, it's not the same thing as evil Wall Street.

So much this^^

We should embrace freedom and if people want to gamble (erm: speculate Tongue) with their money that's their own choice.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
May 20, 2012, 02:13:28 PM
oes anyone know , or have any idea about, his reasoning? Doesn't seem like a rational decision ....
Based on his comments on IRC, it seems his intention is to harm Bitcoinica more than anything else.

Quote from: Luke-Jr
1BPKHoL1sAVnfzxnH38RfXYYcHrEcniUKW
Did you use Vanitygen to create the address? How long did it take you to create that 10 character address?
It's an ordinary address, with quite a bit more than 10 characters...

This was the topic of the IRC channel, before luke-jr started to act like a frack'n lunatic and change it.

" STATEMENT:: Bitcoinica caused much harm to the value of Bitcoin. They were targeted and destroyed. As sure as Bitcoinica fell, the value of Bitcoin rose. Profit from devaluation surely destroys a currency."
legendary
May 20, 2012, 02:12:46 PM

Maybe.
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
May 20, 2012, 02:10:38 PM

The only extrapolation I would make is that he doesn't understand economics very well and thinks derivatives, short-selling, etc. are evil capitalist things.

The problem is that this guy sees what Wall Street does and thinks when Bitcoinica does it it must also be evil. The evil part of Wall Street is not the derivatives, short-selling, etc. It's the fact that when their investments and risks go bust they get FedGov to print new money up out of thin air to bail them out. This leads to moral hazard by essentially risking other people's money.

But when individuals risk their OWN money, it's not the same thing as evil Wall Street.

Activity: 322
Merit: 251
May 20, 2012, 01:50:20 PM
Just thought I'd remind people of this.
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
May 20, 2012, 01:02:17 PM
I am sure that not everyone who got bitcoins will return it to Bitcoinica, so  it's an expensive way to launder bitcoins by giving portion of it to random people.

Fixed your statement.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
May 20, 2012, 12:50:55 PM
oes anyone know , or have any idea about, his reasoning? Doesn't seem like a rational decision ....
Based on his comments on IRC, it seems his intention is to harm Bitcoinica more than anything else.

I am sure that not everyone who got bitcoins will return it to Bitcoinica, so  it's a clever way to launder bitcoins by giving portion of it to random people.

That's what I was thinking. Now he can simply claim he got them donated when the hacker was giving them away.. reasonable doubt established.
Activity: 269
Merit: 250
May 20, 2012, 12:02:45 PM

I am sure that not everyone who got bitcoins will return it to Bitcoinica, so  it's a clever way to launder bitcoins by giving portion of it to random people.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
May 20, 2012, 11:35:15 AM
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
May 20, 2012, 10:47:27 AM
WTF? Ah!! I want to know the reasoning!?!? If he wanted to return the money he could give it to any public address of Gavin or any other honorable member here. The stunt doesn't look like good intention to me.
OTOH for mixing he could have done other things. I'm curious for your analysis and guess he is, too.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
May 20, 2012, 09:50:53 AM
Could anyone be so sweet as to pastebin the relevant IRC logs?

How much was returned in all, the full 18k? Or just specks and dust?

This? http://pastebin.com/3ukW7NpN
legendary
May 20, 2012, 09:25:53 AM
Could anyone be so sweet as to pastebin the relevant IRC logs?

How much was returned in all, the full 18k? Or just specks and dust?

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
May 20, 2012, 09:15:59 AM
Haha Luke-jr isn't pretending to be Bitcoins holy saviour  Grin (where would the PK stand for anyway?)
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
May 20, 2012, 09:02:00 AM

Quote from: Luke-Jr
1BPKHoL1sAVnfzxnH38RfXYYcHrEcniUKW
Did you use Vanitygen to create the address? How long did it take you to create that 10 character address?
It's an ordinary address, with quite a bit more than 10 characters...
Activity: 518
May 20, 2012, 08:04:59 AM
Hacker seems to have left the channel.

What nick and IP was he using ?
Activity: 630
May 20, 2012, 07:22:42 AM
Does anyone know , or have any idea about, his reasoning? Doesn't seem like a rational decision ....

Judging by the little amounts in the address OP provided, I guess he just wants to distribute the coins the most he can so that following them becomes a harder task.
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
May 20, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
So has anyone confirmed that they are coins from Bitcoinica he's giving away?

I did.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}
May 20, 2012, 07:13:34 AM
Does anyone know , or have any idea about, his reasoning? Doesn't seem like a rational decision ....
... uhm why not? Just because you don´t understand?
In my eyes it is rather stupid not to see loads of possible reasonings behind this attack.
 ... could be just for the fun.
Maybe it´s a well planned attack and some bad coins are now starting to infect the chain.
Oh I praise you glorious crusaders and true believers, carry on to hunt them, doing your part of the work to destroy Bitcoin.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
May 20, 2012, 07:10:48 AM
check_status: I don't see where the "vanity" in the adress is.
We all have limitations.
Pages:
Jump to: