Pages:
Author

Topic: BitcoinOrama Report on the KnCminer/OrSoC Open-day Mon 10/06/13 (Stockholm) - page 17. (Read 55715 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
with competitors troll making their rounds including those Asic wannabe or so call asic experts criticizing and expressing their own opinions etc.. If you are that good why don't you design your own Asic or attend Kncminer open day and you can shoot your questions to Sam or Marcus ... If  those Avalon kids would have started today  I am sure you will also be making your negative rounds don't believing they will produce the Asics, won't you? But hey, those college kids make it.
Activity: 635
Merit: 500
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
i heard that the units were Meters.
Activity: 532
Is anyone clear on what the physical size of these going to be?
There site says a Jupiter is "160 x 160 x 200", but doesn't specify units. If that is cm, which I would assume it is, that is really massive.

To me Mars was about 16cm by 16cm, by 20cm, That pcb board they gave me fits a space the exact same dimensions as an iPad screen area.

I know this as I'm positioning it over one now.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

Marcus: The die size will be...very large.

That sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

Why is that?

So many things can go wrong. Timing signals/voltage drops across the whole die, low wafer yields, too much heat, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

Why is that?
Activity: 322
Good work thus far, bitcoinorama

OTHER ATTENDEES:

Please feel free to chime in, more voices are needed in the choir!
Activity: 322
how about:

I drink your bitshake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ3LXHKB34

or combine them

All your bitshake are belong to I  (or  us)
There's no cow on the ice
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Would it be; "All your Bitcoin are belong to us", or "All your Bitcoins are belong to us"?

It would be the singular, right? As 'base' was never plural...

Haha! I would gladly pay an extra $25 bucks for that... would be awesome!
Activity: 462
how about:

I drink your bitshake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ3LXHKB34

or combine them

All your bitshake are belong to I  (or  us)
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

KS
Activity: 448
but that's why KnC couldn't offer a trade-in deal with the FPGAs for their scrypt miners to be made at a later date.

So you're saying they scrapped the Mars because of a trade-in deal they couldn't do for a non-existing miner??

I'm pulling your leg, but there is still a lot of BS coming from your source. Either you're drunk in the coolaid or you're genuinely deaf to it.
KS
so, did you pay for a jupiter/saturn in the end? you don't seem to want to answer the question publicly.

I'll keep on riding you for that, not that I particularly enjoy it, if you keep on painting KNC in an especially good way yet don't invest yourself.

Yes, I answered that in the first post on this thread!

Yeah, but "paid for" is the keyword I'm looking for. You already had a Jupiter (or 2) and a Saturn on order before.
But ORSoC have a strong relationship with both foundries, it's not like they are selecting people they haven't worked with. They are negotiating delivery for Sept.

Yeah, good point. My experience was with new entrants with wide-eyed expectations. I'm still rather worried about the lack of a test strategy. But in my day yields of 30-60% were common, if they can manage 95% today, them maybe the build it and pray approach will work (it certainly seems to be what BFL used). Read the artice I linked. It shows the sort of timescales the professionals work to.
There are two competing foundries, we were told who they were, both have the final design, both are bidding for the gig. Sam mentioned something of huge interest here in front of us. So i'm not the only one who heard this, but I'm not sure I can repeat it; so I won't, but it involves meeting the September deadline.

Yes, but the point I am making is that this s very late in the game to be selecting your foundry. OK, there has been a lot of progress since I left the industry 20 years back, but this is a very tight schecdule. Perhaps I should quote again the article linked by KS in the other thread  http://www.edn.com/design/systems-design/4319891/The-economics-of-structured-and-standard-cell-ASIC-designs (2006 vintage but still relevant).

I wish some of the current ASIC design gurus would comment on this (several very informed guys post on these threads).

But ORSoC have a strong relationship with both foundries, it's not like they are selecting people they haven't worked with. They are negotiating delivery for Sept.

They were to resell the FPGAs in Mars at an amazing price because of a direct relationship with ALTERA. The deal was though the chips could not be harvested and resold under the agreement. Customers could in theory if they could release the chips from the board, but that's why KnC couldn't offer a trade-in deal with the FPGAs for their scrypt miners to be made at a later date.
There are two competing foundries, we were told who they were, both have the final design, both are bidding for the gig. Sam mentioned something of huge interest here in front of us. So i'm not the only one who heard this, but I'm not sure I can repeat it; so I won't, but it involves meeting the September deadline.

Yes, but the point I am making is that this s very late in the game to be selecting your foundry. OK, there has been a lot of progress since I left the industry 20 years back, but this is a very tight schecdule. Perhaps I should quote again the article linked by KS in the other thread  http://www.edn.com/design/systems-design/4319891/The-economics-of-structured-and-standard-cell-ASIC-designs (2006 vintage but still relevant).

I wish some of the current ASIC design gurus would comment on this (several very informed guys post on these threads).
Activity: 298
Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th
Is anyone clear on what the physical size of these going to be?
There site says a Jupiter is "160 x 160 x 200", but doesn't specify units. If that is cm, which I would assume it is, that is really massive.
so, did you pay for a jupiter/saturn in the end? you don't seem to want to answer the question publicly.

I'll keep on riding you for that, not that I particularly enjoy it, if you keep on painting KNC in an especially good way yet don't invest yourself.

Yes, I answered that in the first post on this thread!
KS

Pages:
Jump to: