Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 34. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 655
Merit: 504
You wan chili saus?
Which two of the four PCI-E connectors do you need to plug power into? Or does it not matter?
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Does anyone have any information about the JDH1238B fan used on the S3? Specifically Air Flow CFM and Noise Level dbA.

I'm looking to replace them with something quieter if possible.

Thanks
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
Question guys.

With 218.75 and 225 its necessary to use 4 PCIE? Or with just 2 PCIE its ok?? For 218.75 im sure i can just use 2 PCIE, but for 225 frequency im not that sure.

right now i have 4 PCIE for both, 716W total

My recommendation is to use four cables for better stability.
But its not a necessity. If you are overclocking I now strongly recommend(unlike earlier) to use 4 power cables.

I wanted to use Corsair CX750M for both, but yeah i have one at 225 frequency, so thats OC and i suppose with just 2 PCIE wont work very well maybe
Activity: 784
Question guys.

With 218.75 and 225 its necessary to use 4 PCIE? Or with just 2 PCIE its ok?? For 218.75 im sure i can just use 2 PCIE, but for 225 frequency im not that sure.

My recommendation is to use four cables for better stability.
But its not a necessity. If you are overclocking I now strongly recommend(unlike earlier) to use 4 power cables.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Question guys.

I've heard you can do it with two cables, just make sure they aren't getting too hot. As is hot to the touch.
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
Question guys.

Activity: 4
i thought the S3's shut down if they reached 80 degrees celcius ?
anyone tested this since i see alot of talk about fire hazards.

also could get a tellstick and some kind of nexa unit and turn off the power if the temperature inside the room reaches X degrees Smiley

If they shut down - what is the point of mining? Sure, the A/C will cool down the air eventually and ASICs will run again at some point. In this case the best option would be the chilled air flowing directly to the S3s and PSUs. Enclosing such heat makes it a hot air electric oven unless your A/C is more powerful than the S3s and PSUs combined (you can also think about throwing the PSUs outside the cold area if you don't care about cooling them).
Activity: 45
i thought the S3's shut down if they reached 80 degrees celcius ?
anyone tested this since i see alot of talk about fire hazards.

also could get a tellstick and some kind of nexa unit and turn off the power if the temperature inside the room reaches X degrees Smiley
Activity: 4
AC doesn't/shouldn't draw air from outside the room it's trying to cool.  Just think about it.  
Bringing in hot air from outside and trying to cool it is far less efficient than just trying to cool the air that's already inside, along with the fact that it would be creating positive pressure which would force cooled air outside.  Instead, it recycles the air inside.
That depends on the temperature of the air outside and the power of your A/C unit. 16 S3's generate roughly 16x the wattage of a single unit, say 350 Watts per unit. This is roughly 5.5kW (plus the power the PSUs take just for running, these generate some heat as well). Does you A/C unit have enough power to take this much load?
If not, they will fry - assuming you have them enclosed in that room. Done that with much larger server room, fortunately the devices survived.
If you don't have them enclosed, i.e. you let the outside air in and exhaust the "used air", having the A/C unit cool the intake air is actually more efficient than keeping it up in an enclosed cabin. Again, it depends on the power of the A/C unit.

By having your miners blowing air outside of the room, it's creating negative pressure inside the building.  Less air crossing the heatsinks, less air to absorb heat, they'll hang out and get toasty.
Fully agree. If you are blowing the air outside the room, you have to blow some air in as well. In the winter it might be actually a good idea to have them cooled with the outside air - depends on your winter temperatures though.

Note that in terms of electricity bill - S3 takes X Watts of power, this converts to mostly heat (mostly being like 99% here). To cool the S3 you need an A/C unit that cools the X Watts produced, so the A/C unit should be able to take at least the same amount of electricity as the S3's combined. Ergo you electricity bill for the mining operation will simply double.

The point being here - you either
- seal the whole room, do not let the air in or out, cool it with a sufficient A/C unit, worry about it failing (fire hazard!) and pay double the electricity S3's take;
- let the air into the room, cool it down before it reaches the S3's, then let the S3 exhaust the air out - this would actually be the recommended solution for you since a) you don't have to worry about fire hazard in case the A/C fails (it is a wooden room, isn't it?), b) you don't need to have the A/C large enough (heat-wise) to take all the heat S3's produce (it will only cool the outside air a little) and c) you can leave the A/C off when the outside air temperature is relatively low (say below room temperature), during the cooler part of the year (again, depends where you live, though). This is not necessarily a cheaper solution (you still pay for the A/C working, but it does not have to be as powerful as in the sealed room conditions), but much safer, in case the A/C fails you do not give away the S3 produced heat in an enclosed compartment (an oven sould ring a bell) but rather blow the heat out cooling the units with (worst case scenario) outside temperature air.

Hope this helps...
Activity: 7
the think is the AC is cooling air from the room (recycling it ) and not taking it from outside, which is why you are getting that vacuum effect, you are better off just not exhausting your miners to outside if they put out less heat than your temperature outside the barn.

ding ding ding!

AC doesn't/shouldn't draw air from outside the room it's trying to cool.  Just think about it.  Bringing in hot air from outside and trying to cool it is far less efficient than just trying to cool the air that's already inside, along with the fact that it would be creating positive pressure which would force cooled air outside.  Instead, it recycles the air inside.

By having your miners blowing air outside of the room, it's creating negative pressure inside the building.  Less air crossing the heatsinks, less air to absorb heat, they'll hang out and get toasty.

At least, that's how I understand it...
Activity: 784
Miningrigrentals.com

anyone renting your S3's here? I can't get mine to connect to their service and was hoping for some guidance. There are some available to rent on the site so I know it is possible.

nothing special to setup, just like any other pool.
to test it out, just redirect from MRR to BTCGUILD and you'll see if your ashing.
Check to see if you get an error connecting to a port ":5****", had that issue on Minera, may be similar here.

I will check a little later. (Not at the miners right now) What was the fix on Minera?

Thanks

Some of the pool url of MRR will not work for miners from a different location.
Try each url from the list of available.
Also post your Anymore S3 miner status page here 5 minutes after setting the pools.
Miningrigrentals.com

anyone renting your S3's here? I can't get mine to connect to their service and was hoping for some guidance. There are some available to rent on the site so I know it is possible.

to test it out, just redirect from MRR to BTCGUILD and you'll see if your ashing.
Check to see if you get an error connecting to a port ":5****", had that issue on Minera, may be similar here.

I will check a little later. (Not at the miners right now) What was the fix on Minera?

Thanks
Change the port from the standard 3333 to the new "5****".
Activity: 418
Merit: 250
Miningrigrentals.com

Thanks
Miningrigrentals.com

yeah works fine elsewhere. just cant get it to connect at MMR.

Frustrating. According to devs at the site nothing special is needed. I haven't checked for latest firmware. Can't see that making a difference from what I have read.
Activity: 805
Miningrigrentals.com

Activity: 805

Looks like you guys were right. I blocked the door open about 3 inches and in just 5 minutes the temps have already dropped off quite a bit. So all that work I put into sealing and insulating that room to keep the AC in was all for nothin.  Roll Eyes So now the question is where to cut an intake hole? Top above the ants and psu's so maybe some of the heat from the psus will escape or under the desk as mentioned to maybe pull in some of the cooler air from the floor? Both seem logical but I'm thinking with that much suction from the fans, putting a hole at the top above the units is just going to draw warm air from the top of the barn inside so probably best to put it under the desk as Jow said...
the think is the AC is cooling air from the room (recycling it ) and not taking it from outside, which is why you are getting that vacuum effect, you are better off just not exhausting your miners to outside if they put out less heat than your temperature outside the barn.

Miningrigrentals.com

Activity: 475

You need to vent at the top and bottom... At the botton you can put in a 8" fan, at the top you can use Dundas insulated 4" conduit and an inline fan to move air from the top of your room over to an exhaust outside. It looks like you're in a garage, so there should be some venting around going outside.  Here's a couple of links:

Insulated duct: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H9970/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1
4" Inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6BL11U/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
8" inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF8-Duct-Fan-400/dp/B005KMUHWY
Transition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009W3GE/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Good luck with your room man...

The S3's are all venting out of the enclosure.  The only problem is they cannot pull enough air into the room.  A simple whole in the wall will suffice to fix the problem.

Also, to the OP, your insulation will still be very beneficial to keep the radiating heat from coming through the walls.  It just would have taken some extra math to learn that 16 S3's have more CFM than your window AC can move.  Who knows....Maybe just removing the window barriers next to the AC would be best. 

I agree with this. get an AC that will push more air than your S3's combined
Activity: 28

You need to vent at the top and bottom... At the botton you can put in a 8" fan, at the top you can use Dundas insulated 4" conduit and an inline fan to move air from the top of your room over to an exhaust outside. It looks like you're in a garage, so there should be some venting around going outside.  Here's a couple of links:

Insulated duct: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H9970/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1
4" Inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6BL11U/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
8" inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF8-Duct-Fan-400/dp/B005KMUHWY
Transition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009W3GE/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Good luck with your room man...

The S3's are all venting out of the enclosure.  The only problem is they cannot pull enough air into the room.  A simple whole in the wall will suffice to fix the problem.

Also, to the OP, your insulation will still be very beneficial to keep the radiating heat from coming through the walls.  It just would have taken some extra math to learn that 16 S3's have more CFM than your window AC can move.  Who knows....Maybe just removing the window barriers next to the AC would be best. 
Pages:
Jump to: