Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 35. (Read 158132 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057
SpacePirate.io
]Finally got this setup finished. Built a custom server room in my pole barn to house all the ants. I figured they would run nice n cool with a small air conditioned room and the ants exhausted out the back. but that doesn't look like the case. I'm seeing temps on most of them up around 47 and 48 degrees even with the ac on high. I'm not sure if it's because all the PSU's are so close to the ants that it's sucking in the warm exhaust from the psu's, or just need a bigger AC, or maybe something wrong with the airflow of the room. The ants are creating suction in the small room, so much it whams the door shut and there is a noticeable difference in the sounds the fans are making while the door is open vs the door being shut. When it's shut it sounds like a vacuum when you put your hand over the hose. Is 47-48 not OCed still acceptable or should I worry about getting them down and suggestions on doing that which doesn't require moving the Ants.  Undecided[/color][/size]

You need to vent at the top and bottom... At the botton you can put in a 8" fan, at the top you can use Dundas insulated 4" conduit and an inline fan to move air from the top of your room over to an exhaust outside. It looks like you're in a garage, so there should be some venting around going outside.  Here's a couple of links:

Insulated duct: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H9970/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1
4" Inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6BL11U/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
8" inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF8-Duct-Fan-400/dp/B005KMUHWY
Transition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009W3GE/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Good luck with your room man...

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
By the way, for those discussing PSU's above, the EVGA Supernova 1000 G1's are the way to go. One of the best psu's by far and they come with everything you need to overclock 2 ants. 4 single pci and 2 double pci for a total of 8 pcie plugs and these psus also come packaged with the power strip clip to be able to run them without a motherboard...so no more shoving paper clips and crap in the holes.  Grin Newegg has them for 154.00 I bought 8 when they had the bitcoin 10% off deal and they are superb.

Looks like you guys were right. I blocked the door open about 3 inches and in just 5 minutes the temps have already dropped off quite a bit. So all that work I put into sealing and insulating that room to keep the AC in was all for nothin.  Roll Eyes So now the question is where to cut an intake hole? Top above the ants and psu's so maybe some of the heat from the psus will escape or under the desk as mentioned to maybe pull in some of the cooler air from the floor? Both seem logical but I'm thinking with that much suction from the fans, putting a hole at the top above the units is just going to draw warm air from the top of the barn inside so probably best to put it under the desk as Jow said...
Thanks for the replies. It's been right around 90 here with 65% humidity. Just checked on them again and some of them are running 49-50 degrees now. I'm going to prop the door open a few inches and see if that drops the temps any. If it does at all then I'll cut me a small opening in the back.
Activity: 28
I personally wouldn't worry too much about 47-48C, but I would worry about the vacuum if the fans from the S3's are trying (and failing) to pull more air than the AC is pushing.

I agree, open a vent, though I'd probably choose under that desk down low where the concrete avg temp is probably cooler than air from the loft of that barn.  At almost any ambient temp merged with the cooling of that AC, you'll be fine.  I run my S3's in a non-climate controlled back room that gets up to 90-95F every day and they don't care, as long as they can dump their heat directly out the open window they are aimed at.

Nice build BTW!
Activity: 317
Merit: 104
 your trying to blow cold air into an almost sealed room.
Either make an opening say 6" by 3' at the top or just try leaving the door open a crack say like 2-3 inches.
You will probably see a difference.
Whats the outside ambient ?

Finally got this setup finished. Built a custom server room in my pole barn to house all the ants. I figured they would run nice n cool with a small air conditioned room and the ants exhausted out the back. but that doesn't look like the case. I'm seeing temps on most of them up around 47 and 48 degrees even with the ac on high. I'm not sure if it's because all the PSU's are so close to the ants that it's sucking in the warm exhaust from the psu's, or just need a bigger AC, or maybe something wrong with the airflow of the room. The ants are creating suction in the small room, so much it whams the door shut and there is a noticeable difference in the sounds the fans are making while the door is open vs the door being shut. When it's shut it sounds like a vacuum when you put your hand over the hose. Is 47-48 not OCed still acceptable or should I worry about getting them down and suggestions on doing that which doesn't require moving the Ants.  Undecided
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
yes, i'll do the thermal paste tommorrow when i can get some.

There are 2 ants s3's on the corsair 750rm
I have a meter on the plug and the psu is pulling 680 watts at the wall.
I have another 2 s3's on a different corsair 750rm and they are fine.

Each S3 is different. So cannot compare even if they are from the same batch.
I will never recommend to continuously run two Antminer S3 in a single Corsair RM750.
Before you try to replace the thermal paste grease, do the below and check.
Remove the other Miner from the PSU and connect the faulty miner alone. Do a power cycle, and then check.
Also don't forget to get a non-conductive, non-capacitive thermal paste having thermal conductivity above 3.
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
yes, i'll do the thermal paste tommorrow when i can get some.

There are 2 ants s3's on the corsair 750rm
I have a meter on the plug and the psu is pulling 680 watts at the wall.
I have another 2 s3's on a different corsair 750rm and they are fine.
I'm using a corsair 750 RM psu.
If I do a soft reboot on the box the xxxxs come back and sometimes ----
If I do a hard boot power off then up one x remains..

Assuming you are only connecting one Ant S3 in that Corsair RM750. It will not handle 2 S3s properly.
You are a warranted for a good thermal paste re-application.
I'm using a corsair 750 RM psu.
If I do a soft reboot on the box the xxxxs come back and sometimes ----
If I do a hard boot power off then up one x remains..
interestingly enough..
I just reflashed the s3 and used the other front power connectors instead..
left the cover off the box as well to try it in case it was cooling..
Now I'm down to one x on chain 1 and its hashing @ 400 - 430

Do a restart and check the 1x is still there.
If yes then do a power cycle as said in one of the earlier posts by me.
which is your PSU?
interestingly enough..
I just reflashed the s3 and used the other front power connectors instead..
left the cover off the box as well to try it in case it was cooling..
Now I'm down to one x on chain 1 and its hashing @ 400 - 430

The thermal paste I used was cooler master V1 thermal compound.
thermal conductivity > 1.85
electrically non-conductive
non-capacitive
non-curing
non-corrosive
high thermal conductivity

Didn't think to take photos sorry..
It didn't really change much and like i said one chip had no paste on at all and 2 others very minimal.

The other 3 s3's I have from batch 3 and batch 4 are performing fine..

The thermal paste you used is under spec and not recommended.
That low cost Cooler Master IC Value V1 is not adequate as per bitmaintech support itself.
Also take a look at thermal paste review across various sites and you can find that its not adequate for this kind of an application.
Remove the heat sink again and clean out the applied thermal paste. Buy the EC 1 or EC2 from cooler master and apply it.
This time don't forget to take high resolution  images of board, chips and heatsink.

Watch out for any other component damage or loose. Also check all the cables.
Try a firmware update and do a power cycle before re-applying the thermal paste.
Also fire an email to bitmaintech.
The thermal paste I used was cooler master V1 thermal compound.
thermal conductivity > 1.85
electrically non-conductive
non-capacitive
non-curing
non-corrosive
high thermal conductivity

Didn't think to take photos sorry..
It didn't really change much and like i said one chip had no paste on at all and 2 others very minimal.

The other 3 s3's I have from batch 3 and batch 4 are performing fine..
I just recieved 2 batch 4 S3's..
One is hashing ok at around 430 to 440.

the other has 4 xxxx on the top asic display and is only going at 385
I removed the 2 heatsinks and re pasted them, 1 chip had no thermal paste on at all but its made no difference.
I also noticed the fan speeds are really high compared to batch 3 s3

on the 440 one
Top fan display   
3780 42deg
bottom fan    display
7980 43 deg

on the 385 one

top fan display
6240 37 deg
Bottom fan display
11520 42 deg

Batch 3 fan speeds are normal.

Any ideas on how to fix anyone ?

As per your post except the four chips the others are chips are mining optimal as rated.
By just replacing with any thermal paste grease will not solve the issue.
Which paste you used and whether you have took some images while opening the heatsink?
The thermal paste should have thermal conductivity above 3 and it if its non-electrical and non-capacitive then its a plus.
The application process also matters. So always take some images when doing these hacks.
Regarding the fan speed, I contacted bitmaintech and as per their technical team, the fan speed should be considered normal if temperatures are ok.
They said, "difference between the indicated fan rmp and the real one is due to the disturbance of capacitors".
So we should consider the fan speed as normal even though its actual speed is higher than earlier batches but, not as high as reported in status page.
I just recieved 2 batch 4 S3's..
One is hashing ok at around 430 to 440.

the other has 4 xxxx on the top asic display and is only going at 385
I removed the 2 heatsinks and re pasted them, 1 chip had no thermal paste on at all but its made no difference.
I also noticed the fan speeds are really high compared to batch 3 s3

on the 440 one
Top fan display   
3780 42deg
bottom fan    display
7980 43 deg

on the 385 one

top fan display
6240 37 deg
Bottom fan display
11520 42 deg

Batch 3 fan speeds are normal.

Any ideas on how to fix anyone ?
Activity: 475
Merit: 250
Are you using four pci cables per Ant?

No, just two, but please note consuming watts from wall is going to 440W
My PSUs are 700W

so an extra 100watts for 60GH/s ?
Activity: 12

Which is your Power Supply Unit?
Four PCI power connectors are not necessary for 250Mhz but good if connected.

Normal - Thermaltake TR2 700w
Are you using four pci cables per Ant?

No, just two, but please note consuming watts from wall is going to 440W
My PSUs are 700W

Which is your Power Supply Unit?
Four PCI power connectors are not necessary for 250Mhz but good if connected.
Pages:
Jump to: