Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN launches 4th generation Bitcoin mining ASIC: BM1385 - page 10. (Read 39257 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
maybe from now on they will sell only sX miners and sX+miners
where sX will be the middle unit out of the sX+
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
There will not be S6. dogie said it before.

Personally I would like S7 to be like S2. In this case Bitmain will be able to kill two birds with one stone: release the best mining equipment on Earth (since we don't see any competitors who are ready to offer the mass (not B2B) sales of HW with the same efficiency; but we'll wait for the announce of LKETC 5Th miner though) and keep their promise given to S2 owners about the upgrade kits.
Activity: 66
Merit: 0
Well you aren't going to win, that is just stupid as it would easily cannibalize their just released Antminer S5+, it should be a similar form factor to s5 and run around 2.4th

+1

I think S7 similar to S1, S3, S5 and will run 2.4-2.6 Th/s, but I need S6 first Grin
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
maybe they sold all the s5+ and don't plan to make others!

so they will produce an 15th monster!

This is something we really don't know.  The S5+ was a way to use a LOT of chips.   So if this was old stock of chips they sure could use up a lot quickly.

It's hard to say if they will make another batch or if we will see S7 next.  Just a lot of unknowns.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
maybe they sold all the s5+ and don't plan to make others!

so they will produce an 15th monster!
legendary
I was going to round off my calculation and guess 4, but someone beat me to it.

8-(

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Wouldnt it be nice to have some kind of standard in the BITMAIN world?
I'm thinking of just changing the blades and the firmware to upgrade an S5 to an S7. It would reduce the prices a bit (lets say 10-15%, its shipping costs, VAT ..) and it would also kinda bond the customer to the company as well.

This was discussed a while ago in design, and the conclusion was that its not actually that desirable for the same reason that S2 upgrade kits never appeared. By the time the next generation appears, the previous generation is still mining away perfectly happily and so you can't immediately replace those hashing boards.

Ie if the S5 was modular to the S7, you'd still buy a full S7 because any S5s you had would still be fine to run for the foreseeable future. No one would scrap their S5, they'd simply run both or sell the S5.

How about an upgrade for the S1 or the S3 though, which aren't very efficient and aren't profitable any more in most places?

Upgrade kits cost not dissimilar to the full miner because:
  • Have to assemble, test, then disassemble an entire miner
  • Cost of the rest of the kit (even the fan) is very minimal
  • Usually requires new controller anyway
  • Harder to predict batch numbers
  • Harder to ship, volume priced shipping costs
  • Greater dead loss from shipping damage

tldr, its just easier to give you a new miner.
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
I'm thinking of just changing the blades and the firmware to upgrade an S5 to an S7. It would reduce the prices a bit (lets say 10-15%, its shipping costs, VAT ..) and it would also kinda bond the customer to the company as well.

You want  standard ?
Let me give one free.

Tested. S5 + works with  S5 18 pin controller board.  If this is not the standard?
You do not even need to change the software.

Now you can do from yor  S5+  three miners .

I am confused are you saying you can take an S5+ and 3 controller boards from standard S5 units and make them all run solo at 2.7th/s? If so that is pretty damn impressive and cool.
legendary

This was discussed a while ago in design, and the conclusion was that its not actually that desirable for the same reason that S2 upgrade kits never appeared. By the time the next generation appears, the previous generation is still mining away perfectly happily and so you can't immediately replace those hashing boards.

Ie if the S5 was modular to the S7, you'd still buy a full S7 because any S5s you had would still be fine to run for the foreseeable future. No one would scrap their S5, they'd simply run both or sell the S5.

How about an upgrade for the S1 or the S3 though, which aren't very efficient and aren't profitable any more in most places?
legendary
If cloudmining is making profit why don't owner just mine theirself ?
Why do they want to sell to you guys ?

Because they make more money and amortise the cost of the chip design a LOT faster by selling miners to those of us that don't trust cloud mining.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

So did you know for sure about the S2 uprade kits not being produced and held back a response?  They only failed do to Bitmain not following through on not one but both announcements.  It's a shame to let a good case and design that's accomodating and easily upgradeable die. 

No I didn't know, that was a management decision. The S2 design wasn't very good and was subsequently never repeated. It required a motherboard, slots that often broke, large areas of dead space for cooling and is probably the only Bitmain miner that was susceptible to shipping issues. And an included non server grade PSU which liked to die after a year.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
I am confused are you saying you can take an S5+ and 3 controller boards from standard S5 units and make them all run solo at 2.7th/s? If so that is pretty damn impressive and cool.

Yes. I did.

S5 controller with S5+ miner

It is great test , how long you run it like this , I am thinking the stability of using lower version of controller .

It is not - "lower version of controller"

At the moment,
13h 36m
10HW error
Freg   325
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
You're right.  I guess they would have to swap out the right number of 5s for 7s as to not effect the hash rate too much but yeah the power savings alone should be huge.  I guess there's a delicate balance.  They can't turn them all on and make the difficulty jump too much.  If they do that then they can't charge as much for the S7 to their customers.

And it put's them at a big advantage compared to other mining companies.  We don't know for sure what they are doing.  But likely the first S7's will end up in the spots the used S5's were.

When it happens is hard to say.  But I'm sure they have a good business plan.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021
You're right.  I guess they would have to swap out the right number of 5s for 7s as to not effect the hash rate too much but yeah the power savings alone should be huge.  I guess there's a delicate balance.  They can't turn them all on and make the difficulty jump too much.  If they do that then they can't charge as much for the S7 to their customers.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Yes. I did.

So basically instead of just selling a single S5+ as a single 2.7th unit they forced people to buy 3 of them chained together.  I would've preferred the single 2.7th unit.  Sounds like they were in a big rush to dump the remaining stock of their older chips.  I'm sure their hosting facility has the S7's up and running already since they dumped their used S5 miners as well at new miner prices.

well they could have charge more for them as singles, but 3x the boxes and more logistics.

the strongest thing I get from this is they went all s-7 as I type.

they will not be selling any more s-5's or s-5=+ units.

and they are clever enough to slowly add s-7's  to keep hash growth under 2 or 3 % 

thus picking up big savings on power costs.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

Yes. I did.

So basically instead of just selling a single S5+ as a single 2.7th unit they forced people to buy 3 of them chained together.  I would've preferred the single 2.7th unit.  Sounds like they were in a big rush to dump the remaining stock of their older chips.  I'm sure their hosting facility has the S7's up and running already since they dumped their used S5 miners as well at new miner prices.
Pages:
Jump to: