Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN launches 4th generation Bitcoin mining ASIC: BM1385 - page 6. (Read 39257 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
I've never seen the BM1384 to really care what address each chip was given. Each chip is a comm relay, passing its input on to the next chip. Since we didn't really have protocol data before BM1385 datasheet was released, and since the software was Novak's job, I'm not entirely sure how work is divvied up on a per-chip basis. I was also surprised to see the S5 boards don't individually address chips, but not as surprised after testing addressing on a two-chip breakout board and realizing it pretty much didn't matter. So really I don't have an answer to your question.
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
We should make a bot to request paying address repeatedly to CPU-abuse their VPS... shouldn't be that hard, and that would cost'em money or banning

EDIT: Already tried, it is a fixed set of addresses, shouldn't be hard to track.
Good on you, we definitely need to report the website to the host as they will likely take it down and that will be the end of that.

Now back on subject, does anyone know if the antistatic fans by corsair that a lot use for the S5 with a push and pull method would work if the dimensions were shifted a bit more one way? (A height increase or depth increase) I ask as the only think I could see changing on the design is a bit added in a direction.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Yes I am sure you are right on the level shifting, another nice component reduction.

On detail you could help me with, I am in the middle of repairing an S5 board. I had assumed that the address inputs would have some grounded pins giving each chip a unique address, however they seem to be unconnected, so I assume that software addressing is used? Just wondered "slimply" how that works? I see that BM1385 does not mention SW addressing but assume that is an omission?

Rich
legendary
It's not explicitly stated in the data sheet, but it looks like there are two sets of com pins - one for local potential, and one with integrated level shifting.

You'd still need the 1.8V LDO per node for IO voltages, and to power the 0.9V PLL LDO.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
I think most initial companies producing miners were forum members before asics arrived.  Back then was more of a hobby with potential.  But yes very pleasing to have open dialect with someone who starts at ground level. 
Well, at first there were 27 available and now its 21. I suspect someone might have sent coins. :/ Leaving - trust too.

Hopefully it's just us sticking them in the basket, and not unfortunate people getting scammed.
Yeah I don't think anyone making such a large purchase will do it so quickly, it is more likely to steal bitmain accounts and steal ghash via Hashnest and sell them for Bitcoin and withdrawal it.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I plan to have a working prototype of a multi-chip full board, not a stick.

I'm not sure yet how the protocol changes, but that's software-level. Node-level voltages change, inter-node level shifters change, no 0.9V LDO required per node, fewer bypass caps per chip required. The footprint is also quite different (and quite better, my opinion). If your question is "can you use the same PCB and drop the new chip on it" the answer is "definitely not". But the required changes aren't that big.

Nice that they have integrated the 0.9V LDO, although that was only a potential divider in the S5. I assume you will still need an external 1.8V LDO for the Analog PLL supply? I wonder, as I assume in S7 we will see another string design, if they considered incorporating the level shifters?

Does at first glance the more comprehensive protocol spec agree with what you have found on the BM1384?

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

I'm not sure yet how the protocol changes, but that's software-level. Node-level voltages change, inter-node level shifters change, no 0.9V LDO required per node, fewer bypass caps per chip required. The footprint is also quite different (and quite better, my opinion). If your question is "can you use the same PCB and drop the new chip on it" the answer is "definitely not". But the required changes aren't that big.

I would love to see you come out with some boards.   Your thumb stick miner works great, love the feeling that it's from a growing company made out of this site.

I hope to see you one day have your own models and hopefully range of products Smiley.  I would love a nice blade if price is right.
legendary

legendary
I plan to have a working prototype (hardware at least) within 30 days from receiving sample chips.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
eh eh... and a USB stick with this BM1385 ?
For a few dollars :-).

That'd be nice. I will get one of the BM1384 one soon. Hopefully sidehack gets his hand on some 1385s.

A sidehack 1385 miner in time for christmas 2015 would be nice.

Even in time for my birthday in Jan 2016 works for me

That would be dope. However i believe sidehack couldn't get more than a prototype going by then assuming he gets the BM1385 fairly soon. Sad
Last batch of s5+:

This is probably a scam!

Note that the text of the link above says "bitmaintech.com", but the actual domain is "bitmaintech.co". Looks like "bitmaintech.co" was registered on Friday August 21st, 2015.

The main bitmaintech.com site says nothing about batch 2.

Nice catch, I didn't see that there, hopefully nobody gets duped by this I will go ahead and snip it out of my previous quote.

Definitely a scam, I tried putting a totally made up user and pass on the sign in page after it takes you to and it lets you right through to pay for your order. Probably catching your Bitmain user and pass info also. If anybody clicked through I would definitely change your logon info.
Meat has his own thread doing the same thing with the thread locked, I gave him negative feedback and he is saying it is the last batch as well. Definitely need to get the word out on this.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

That'd be nice. I will get one of the BM1384 one soon. Hopefully sidehack gets his hand on some 1385s.

A sidehack 1385 miner in time for christmas 2015 would be nice.

Even in time for my birthday in Jan 2016 works for me
legendary
There's pretty much no way Bitmain will let any BM1385 into the wild before their S7 is shipping. I also won't build a stick off it until I'm out of BM1384 sticks. That said, it'd be pretty cool to have a 40GH stickminer. We'll probably focus on a 4-6 chip pod, maybe one you can stick a fairly generic CPU cooler on.

Bitmain - thanks for posting the BM1385 datasheet with actually good info. I'm liking the pinout and integrated features so far. It's gonna be good to see these things working.
legendary

This is probably a scam!

Note that the text of the link above says "bitmaintech.com", but the actual domain is "bitmaintech.co". Looks like "bitmaintech.co" was registered on Friday August 21st, 2015.

The main bitmaintech.com site says nothing about batch 2.

Nice catch, I didn't see that there, hopefully nobody gets duped by this I will go ahead and snip it out of my previous quote.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Thanks Bitmain for creating a next-gen product for home miners!

Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, but is there an ETA yet for when the S7 will be available?

no why not have some fun with these two threads

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157489.0;all   free pick at the date

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1159185.0;all  free pick at the price.

you could get lucky cost is zip

I think part of reason of making this thread is to worry other makers.  They were smart to keep same nm and master it.  I think they will be able to make a lot by doing this.

I still wonder on time frame though.  Once they get producing them I predict a lot coming fast of the new product.

Well I think with the smaller nm chips there's a huge problem of power consumption.. Intel is dealing with this now on their new gen stuff in the works.. So Bitmain is the winner here even with LKETC and their 14nm.. The power draw from their new chip will be comparable to bitmains fully custom 28nm

Especially when you consider the difference in production cost. It's probably of different magnitude. 14nm could definitively be able to laugh at 28nm in W/GH ratio if properly optimized but i don't think the development cost is going to be able to compete.

As usual, China win with cheap mass production.

Please do not forget TSMC from Taiwan, others from Singapour and south Korea. China is not the biggest....

There are lot's of places with cheap to do the production.  But not all the countries really have the buisness's to do it.   Producing chips is something not all of the countries you listed I think can do.

China has kinda taken over on a lot.  They are just able to make it cheaper with many factors effecting it.

One thing with BTC so low I don't see a reason for them to be rushing to production.

Well the biggest countries are China, US, Taiwan, Singapour  Wink
EU is not really a potential  Grin
legendary
On the box fan thing, just get a standard 20x20 furnace filter and fit it to the input of the fan - suction from the fan will hold it in place and it's a GOOD fit for most common box fans like that Lasko one poster linked. No need for special "fan filters".

The one issue with putting fan filters on the S5 fans it that they reduce airflow noticeably. Good for dust reduction IN the unit, but NOT GOOD for keeping them cool. Better to keep the dust out of the room entirely IMO.

That sound a bit expensive, i don't know if you can get those furnace filter for cheap. On ebay you can get boxfan filter net for a few dollars for a pack of them lasting 1month+. If you're going to spend significant money on filter, i'd go with a washable filter.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
On the box fan thing, just get a standard 20x20 furnace filter and fit it to the input of the fan - suction from the fan will hold it in place and it's a GOOD fit for most common box fans like that Lasko one poster linked. No need for special "fan filters".

The one issue with putting fan filters on the S5 fans it that they reduce airflow noticeably. Good for dust reduction IN the unit, but NOT GOOD for keeping them cool. Better to keep the dust out of the room entirely IMO.
Pages:
Jump to: