Pages:
Author

Topic: bitstamp btc withdrawal problem - page 5. (Read 24691 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
February 11, 2014, 06:08:49 PM
Note it's not just withdrawals that are stopped. They've stopped processing BTC deposits too. The article was edited to reflect that change.

Deposits work again now.
legendary
Activity: 1437
https://bitmynt.no
February 11, 2014, 06:05:47 PM
https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitcoin-withdraws-suspended/
Dear Bitstamp users
[...]
Withdrawals which failed on the 10th and 11th of February will be canceled and the amounts added back to the customer account balances.
[...]
My 8 BTC withdrawal from this morning is still listed as "Finished" and nothing has been added back.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
February 11, 2014, 05:59:32 PM
Note it's not just withdrawals that are stopped. They've stopped processing BTC deposits too. The article was edited to reflect that change.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
February 11, 2014, 05:53:47 PM
Question:
Why is it that until yesterday no one's transactions were affected by Tx Malleability DDOS attacks, but once MtGox declares it to be their issue, all the sudden everyone else is hit by the same attack? Is it copycat hackers at work?

Some possibilities:

1) The attackers became aware of the flaw only after MtGox made it widely known in their detailed technical announcement yesterday.
2) The attackers turned their attention away from MtGox to everyone else, after MtGox stopped BTC withdrawal requests.
3) The Bitcoin Foundation are behind the attacks, so that all exchanges and wallet providers become aware of the issue and are forced to fix their systems to prevent this from becoming a bigger issue later on.
4) MtGox are behind the attacks to divert blame, buy time and cover up their insolvency.
5) The attacker is someone who wants to cause panic, cause a market crash and then buy up cheap bitcoins.
6) A government (US, Russia, China...) are behind the attacks to try to discredit Bitcoin.
7) Russian hackers are behind the attacks and want you to enjoy watching Sochi (instead of sitting behind a computer all day).
Activity: 1260
Merit: 505
Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
February 11, 2014, 02:50:28 PM
Question:
Why is it that until yesterday no one's transactions were affected by Tx Malleability DDOS attacks, but once MtGox declares it to be their issue, all the sudden everyone else is hit by the same attack? Is it copycat hackers at work?

Maybe it gave some people an idea, or it gave people the right opportunity to use the exchange-rate tanking weapon they had been sitting on for a while.

There is still a large difference, the systems at Gox misuse TXIDs, other exchanges now are unable to process withdrawals because the stream of crap is creating a situation their systems aren't designed to deal with. It's a lot like comparing a server error to a ddos. The first one is a server issue, the second one needs to be mitigated.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
February 11, 2014, 02:36:51 PM
Question:
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
February 11, 2014, 02:29:47 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Bitstamp’s exchange software is extremely cautious concerning Bitcoin transactions. Currently it has suspended processing Bitcoin withdrawals due to inconsistent results reported by our bitcoind wallet, caused by a denial-of-service attack using transaction malleability to temporarily disrupt balance checking. As such, Bitcoin withdrawal processing will be suspended temporarily until a software fix is issued.

No funds have been lost and no funds are at risk.

This is a denial-of-service attack made possible by some misunderstandings in Bitcoin wallet implementations. These misunderstandings have simple solutions that are being implemented as we speak, and we're confident everything will be back to normal shortly.

Withdrawals which failed on the 10th and 11th of February will be canceled and the amounts added back to the customer account balances.

We will communicate any further developments regarding this issue.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards
Bitstamp team

Seems like this transaction malleability is a minor issue and of no threat to Bitcoin. I suspect this is the same issue facing the other exchanges. Of course, some people on this forum will try to spread FUD that Bitcoin is broken and you will never receive your BTC withdrawals etc.

I guess BTC withdrawals should be back to normal again within a few days at most after Bitstamp implements a solution.
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
February 11, 2014, 02:08:20 PM
I have the same issue with bter, made two withdrawals yesterday at 11 and 13 gmt, both shown as completed yet nothing shows in the blockchain. One shows in vircurex as incoming transaction. I wonder how vircurex saw it yet blockchain.info or blockexplorer didn't.

I talked to the customer support threw qq yesterday and they told me not to panic that they should go threw. But that it will take hours. More than 15 hours passed already. I'm really hoping I don't have to talk to the support again tonight.

I also got a withdrawal from stamp on sunday at 18 gmt.

I missed some nice arb oportunities  Undecided
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
February 11, 2014, 02:07:32 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Bitstamp’s exchange software is extremely cautious concerning Bitcoin transactions. Currently it has suspended processing Bitcoin withdrawals due to inconsistent results reported by our bitcoind wallet, caused by a denial-of-service attack using transaction malleability to temporarily disrupt balance checking. As such, Bitcoin withdrawal processing will be suspended temporarily until a software fix is issued.

This is a denial-of-service attack made possible by some misunderstandings in Bitcoin wallet implementations. These misunderstandings have simple solutions that are being implemented as we speak, and we're confident everything will be back to normal shortly.

Best regards
Bitstamp team

so this transaciton malleability can easily be fixed then?
My understanding is that, that would be the long term solution but short term it enough to make the exchange wallets so that this malleability doesn't matter or do any harm.

doesn't it harm normal transactions though?? from wallet to wallet

Normal user-to-user transactions are working fine. The problems come from automated systems that need some way to keep track of how much funds are available and whether transactions that have been sent were received properly. These automated systems often use the tx-id to keep track of transactions, but as we've seen, the tx-id is not a reliable identifier.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035
February 11, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Best regards
Bitstamp team

My understanding is that, that would be the long term solution but short term it enough to make the exchange wallets so that this malleability doesn't matter or do any harm.

doesn't it harm normal transactions though?? from wallet to wallet
Activity: 155
February 11, 2014, 02:03:10 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Best regards
Bitstamp team

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
February 11, 2014, 02:02:00 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Best regards
Bitstamp team

That depends on how much the exchange-software relies on the tx-id in order to do its bookkeeping. It's perfectly possible to do bookkeeping without even caring about the tx-id. Or, in the case of MtGox, you could use the tx-id as the holy grail for your transaction-tracking, in which case you're fubar'ed. Especially today where someone seems to be rebroadcasting pretty much every transaction in the network with a different tx-id.
legendary
February 11, 2014, 01:52:54 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Best regards
Bitstamp team

legendary
Activity: 1078
February 11, 2014, 01:51:16 PM

Dear Bitstamp users

Best regards
Bitstamp team
Activity: 172
February 11, 2014, 01:49:43 PM
Same problem here, the transaction from Bitstamp never hit the blockchain. Waiting since 14 hours. I miss my bitcoins  Cry
Activity: 203
February 11, 2014, 01:48:27 PM
I have same problem.
My BTC stuck in cyber-space limbo for 8 hours.
legendary
February 11, 2014, 01:45:53 PM
i made a withdrawal for 200 mbtc 2-3 hours ago

is it better to cancel it and withdraw later??
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
February 11, 2014, 01:42:38 PM
I made a 2BTC deposit yesterday, figured that I can't handle the suspense of trading and tried to withdraw to 1M4DWwdVid6KM8jeamP3GgKBSadiBtfx1Q12 hours ago.

http://i.imgur.com/VrZCh92.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VDJIGfM.jpg

Same problem for me nothing in blockchain
zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
February 11, 2014, 01:37:44 PM
so every exchange is exchanging dollars for coins you can´t withraw on request ?  

Who cares ? the blockchain works flawless  Wink

BTC to da moon Cheesy
Activity: 326
Merit: 250
February 11, 2014, 01:35:27 PM
and multiple users, including myself, missing btc from btc-e withdrawals. i am waiting on 5.005 btc from btc-e over 12 hours ago..this problem may be btc protocol wide.

BTC-e did a wallet update last night and everything what was withdrawn during that period did not hit the blockchain. As of a few hours ago, withdrawals from btc-e are working fine though. Just waiting for them to send me the frigging coins from last night.

yes i knew about the wallet update. irregardless, my 5btc w/d took 10 hours to hit the blockchain, which it did 2.5 hours ago. now i am waiting to see coin, but nothing even pending, after 13 confirmations. https://blockchain.info/tx/072118b9bd470086f1c3e62a092672ba457139bdf20a0d2613e74a84810575cc

I am waiting for my BTC withdrawal from BTC-E an still nothing after 29 hours  Angry
Pages:
Jump to: