Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp issues statement and temporarily suspends service - page 4. (Read 8053 times)

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
The 19000 BTC isn't even half of the volume that was traded per day the last couple of days. It is a big hit but i suppose it is recoverable.

I'm more worried about the wording in the statement where it states:
We are working to transfer a secure backup of the Bitstamp site onto a new safe environment and will be bringing this online in the coming days. Customers can stay informed via updates on our website, on Twitter (@Bitstamp) and through Bitstamp customer support at [email protected]."

I don't think it should take days to copy and check their environment, why would it take this long?

And updates haven't been provided since this morning on either Twitter or their website. No source for the last statement on Coindesk. I'm worried we won't hear anything for a few days now. And that reminds me of Gox...

Naugh, this takes time if they don't know yet the mechanism how someone got into the system.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1059
Statement Update:
January 6, 2015, 12:34am UTC: We have temporarily suspended Bitstamp services. Bitstamp customers can rest assured that their bitcoins held with us prior to temporary suspension of services on January 5th (at 9am UTC) are completely safe and will be honored in full.
On January 4th, some of Bitstamp’s operational wallets were compromised, resulting in a loss of less than 19,000 BTC. Upon learning of the breach, we immediately notified all customers that they should no longer make deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. To repeat, customers should NOT make any deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. As an additional security measure, we suspended our systems while we fully investigate the incident and actively engage with law enforcement officials.
This breach represents a small fraction of Bitstamp’s total bitcoin reserves, the overwhelming majority of which are held in secure offline cold storage systems. We would like to reassure all Bitstamp customers that their balances held prior to our temporary suspension of services will not be affected and will be honored in full.
We appreciate customers’ patience during this disruption of services. We are working to transfer a secure backup of the Bitstamp site onto a new safe environment and will be bringing this online in the coming days. Customers can stay informed via updates on our website, on Twitter (@Bitstamp) and through Bitstamp customer support at [email protected].
- Bitstamp Team
https://www.bitstamp.net/

More than one wallet was compromised. Nearly 19,000 BTC lost.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
The 19000 BTC isn't even half of the volume that was traded per day the last couple of days. It is a big hit but i suppose it is recoverable.

We are working to transfer a secure backup of the Bitstamp site onto a new safe environment and will be bringing this online in the coming days. Customers can stay informed via updates on our website, on Twitter (@Bitstamp) and through Bitstamp customer support at [email protected]."

I don't think it should take days to copy and check their environment, why would it take this long?

And updates haven't been provided since this morning on either Twitter or their website. No source for the last statement on Coindesk. I'm worried we won't hear anything for a few days now. And that reminds me of Gox...

The big question is will they allow a run on Bitcoin and fiat withdraws?

Anyone who has a large sum trapped there would likely want out ASAP.

If they allow this and bite the bullet I will give them credit where it is due. Otherwise they are insolvent.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

I don't think Bitstamp is going to disappear overnight like Mt. Gox. They've got a lot to lose.

The company has generally been respected within the bitcoin community. In May 2014 it passed a proof-of-bitcoin-reserves audit overseen by BitcoinJ developer Mike Hearn, and in June it beat other bitcoin companies to win the Europas' Best Virtual Currency Startup Award.

A lesson learned from the whole Mt.Gox debacle is that they need to keep communicating. This doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment. I'm still wondering where that statement on coindesk came from. It isn't on their website or twitter. So how would customers know (apart from reading coindesk).

Having said that I don't think they'll go bust because of this. I've been using them since long before Mt.Gox started to slide and they've proven to be a reputable exchange.

That is how it works....they appear reputable until they aren't. Just like someone isn't a scammer until they scam...by then it is too late.

You can't see the future so my personal outlook is to be very skeptical on everything they claim until they show their hand fully.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10

I don't think Bitstamp is going to disappear overnight like Mt. Gox. They've got a lot to lose.

The company has generally been respected within the bitcoin community. In May 2014 it passed a proof-of-bitcoin-reserves audit overseen by BitcoinJ developer Mike Hearn, and in June it beat other bitcoin companies to win the Europas' Best Virtual Currency Startup Award.

A lesson learned from the whole Mt.Gox debacle is that they need to keep communicating. This doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment. I'm still wondering where that statement on coindesk came from. It isn't on their website or twitter. So how would customers know (apart from reading coindesk).

Having said that I don't think they'll go bust because of this. I've been using them since long before Mt.Gox started to slide and they've proven to be a reputable exchange.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
If they indeed lost ~ 19,000 BTC, they're seriously fucked. There's no way they have enough own reserves to cover it. And I doubt they have insurance covering such event.

They can buy 19k btc with the fiat value , it is not an impossible thing to do....  (and maybe the price will raise a little).

But I don't think they have ~ $5m reserves to do that. Their latest financial statements (for 2013) showed P&L reserves of ~ $0.8m.

They'd likely need a loan for that, maybe from their shareholder Pantera Investments?
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
If they indeed lost ~ 19,000 BTC, they're seriously fucked. There's no way they have enough own reserves to cover it. And I doubt they have insurance covering such event.

They can buy 19k btc with the fiat value , it is not an impossible thing to do....  (and maybe the price will raise a little).
legendary
Activity: 470
Merit: 250
Seems to me those are the funds from the hot wallet: http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-claims-roughly-19000-btc-lost-hot-wallet-hack/

On another note, where did this statement come from? Was it made directly to Coindesk at CES maybe?

I've been wondering the same thing, can't find the statement anywhere else.
Seems to me those are the funds from the hot wallet: http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-claims-roughly-19000-btc-lost-hot-wallet-hack/

On another note, where did this statement come from? Was it made directly to Coindesk at CES maybe?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
On bitstamp: "Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored."

But if you look at the transactions of that possible hacked bitstamp address, the first transaction happened on January 4th, 2015 2:26:20 UTC. and the last transaction happens 2015-01-05 18:12:07, it is still accepting transactions after 9:00

Someone wasn't aware of what's going on and send to the old address maybe?

The transactions after 9:00 are all small, maybe some testing going on, so most likely it is a cold wallet that still belongs to bitstamp. My guess is that this is not the compromised hot wallet, the compromised hot wallet is still unknown
legendary
On bitstamp: "Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored."

But if you look at the transactions of that possible hacked bitstamp address, the first transaction happened on January 4th, 2015 2:26:20 UTC. and the last transaction happens 2015-01-05 18:12:07, it is still accepting transactions after 9:00

Someone wasn't aware of what's going on and send to the old address maybe?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

Activity: 70
it is very curious that the Bitcoin price didn't fall YET.

normally, any real "stock" market would have reacted until now. the "players" would have sold...I think Bitcoin foundation is not strange of this.
Maybe the price drop of the last few days was whales factoring this news in.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Bitstamp CEO probably on an extended vacation in his newly acquired island mansion in Dubai.
No, Vegas:
Bitstamp retweeted:
Nejc Kodrič @nejc_kodric  ·  9 hours ago

Due to circumstances I skipped my connecting flight and spend the night in NYC. I am flying to Vegas today to attend CES.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Very interesting address. Specially the very high fees payed for ultra fast confirmations.

It is not true , with 1btc you have the same time/chance to receive confirm (include in a block) as 0.0004 btc . It's a question of lucky ....

If the space is limited, and i.e. we have a tx with lot of inputs/outputs (high size) then a high fee creates incentive for priority inclusion.

That's true but the commissions of those transactions are unnecessarily big. You don't need 1, 0.5 or even 0.1 BTC to guarantee that your transaction will be in the next block. With a transaction of 0.001 BTC you are pretty much sure you are paying a fee big enough for the faster confirmation possible.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Very interesting address. Specially the very high fees payed for ultra fast confirmations.

It is not true , with 1btc you have the same time/chance to receive confirm (include in a block) as 0.0004 btc . It's a question of lucky ....

If the space is limited, and i.e. we have a tx with lot of inputs/outputs (high size) then a high fee creates incentive for priority inclusion.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
it is very curious that the Bitcoin price didn't fall YET.

normally, any real "stock" market would have reacted until now. the "players" would have sold...I think Bitcoin foundation is not strange of this.

Totally.

Bitstamp lost 18K BTC. https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

sell your Bitcoin. the price will go DOWN ......!!!!

I bet this is Bitstamp themselves making some tricky maneuvers.

Market making you say? Hehe..

Bitstamp lost 18K BTC. https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

sell your Bitcoin. the price will go DOWN ......!!!!

Here is the main cold wallet of Bitstamp: https://blockchain.info/address/1JoktQJhCzuCQkt3GnQ8Xddcq4mUgNyXEa

From the earliest transaction of the address: https://blockchain.info/tx/8f1d3a8ef6b2d4a25d2f499279e01518b4770819ccbc39a765c4c326170c61b3

the source addresses and destination address are all cold wallets of Bitstamp.  The total amount of these cold wallets are about 200K.

The 18k BTC lost is about 10% of total reserve of Bitstamp.

This is actually good news!
Pages:
Jump to: