Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp issues statement and temporarily suspends service - page 7. (Read 8053 times)

legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. […] I am cashing out

Can I get your coins at ZERO cost? Thanks!

yes but your going to have to pay
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
there are highly sophisticated solutions available, for example bitalo.com where site owers simply do not have access to the bitcoins at all

user-side generated private keys that are fully encrypted on user side and where coins are stored in multi-signature wallets with a backup transaction so that you get the coins out, even when the service is completely offline. In this case you also do not need any "audit", because the audit is simply checking the blockchain if your coins are there or not.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
WTH?? The ship can start sinking too fast...

True. I used to be really depressed about the price drop- but now I'm rather excited. Bitcoin itself isn't going anywhere- the prospect of honestly cheap coins is quite exciting to me.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Honest 80s business!
I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. Combine this with Apple Pay whom basically took the btc idea and ran with it. Forget the "fiat" currency BS. The losses that the masses of btc owners have incurred over the last year would take eternity to recover. Too many scammers and with the cost of electricity and difficulty and ZERO profits, the entire attraction of btc is GONE. All the cloud miners are worthless. It's has more signs of a demise than any currency or commodity out there. I am cashing out and hitting the small cap miners.

Bitcoin itself is completely safe. There hasn't been a single theft due to mistakes or errors in the core protocol! Apple Pay has almost nothing to do with Bitcoin. Bitcoin thrives to be a separate currency with a completely different foundation. Apple pay is merely a payment system used on top of credit cards. It has nothing to do with being a currency that is backed by a trustless and decentralized consesus-system.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. […] I am cashing out

Can I get your coins at ZERO cost? Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
Kinda of news that will make people lose trust in bitcoin security and its viability as a safe currency as a whole. When new or potential investor read this, they will have doubt about putting their money into bitcoin. Bad news indeed... I wonder amount of btc that has been compromised.  Sad

Massive price drop followed by major exchange's problems, doesn't look good indeed. It's just a matter of time till the major news start reporting on it.

But on the other hand, if the amount compromised is not significant and BitStamp is able to cover it from its own funds (+ identify the cause and fix the problem), that could actually add to their trust and show they're serious business and can cope with difficulties.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. Combine this with Apple Pay whom basically took the btc idea and ran with it. Forget the "fiat" currency BS. The losses that the masses of btc owners have incurred over the last year would take eternity to recover. Too many scammers and with the cost of electricity and difficulty and ZERO profits, the entire attraction of btc is GONE. All the cloud miners are worthless. It's has more signs of a demise than any currency or commodity out there. I am cashing out and hitting the small cap miners.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
WTH?? The ship can start sinking too fast...
Activity: 350
Honest 80s business!
Kinda of news that will make people lose trust in bitcoin security and its viability as a safe currency as a whole. When new or potential investor read this, they will have doubt about putting their money into bitcoin. Bad news indeed... I wonder amount of btc that has been compromised.  Sad

Yeah, you are right, this is very bad PR. And the saddest thing about it is that Bitcoin itself isn't flawed at all. The core technology doesn't have anything to do with these breaches and robberies. Bitcoin itself was, and will always be, safe.
Q7
Activity: 448
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
lololol

Here we go again...another service bites the dust...mt gox part 2379248723897234879234. This shit will never end until it takes bitcoin down with it.  Unbelievable.

Im thinking they currently just have a technical issue, im not using them or have any money in there but its doesnt look like a gox situation.

The fact of the matter is...regardless how 'bad' this situation really is...it shows that bitcoin money is safe nowhere.  Exchanges can basically take your money and run at any instant and claim they were hacked...with no repurcussions or explicit proof.  If that isn't enough to scare away any potential future adopters, I don't know what is.

Yes its a real problem and it makes an advert for regulation and bitcoin banks.  We need safe simple wallets and exchanges.

No; we need Automated Transactions and Smart Contracts to put all exchanges out of business.
legendary

whose is reporting the whole profit?  there is no company is this world to do that. they will pay taxes. remember, BitStamp is one of the biggest exchangers.

Every registered company does.
Are you accusing them of hiding the profit? Tax evasion? If so - anything to support such statement?

also, look to the amount of the transactions they had last year and look to their fees. it's pretty easy to make a summary calculation.

Then do it.

If you run your 'summary calculation', all you'll get is their turnover (still won't be accurate) but definitely not their 'profit'.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
Bitstamp is hacked. It's a fact. I think they can cover the loss from their HUGE profit they made last year IF they want that, of course  Wink

There are rumors that their bank account is closing too.

So what is the 'huge profit' they made? Source?

Their latest filed accounts (for 2013) doesn't show P&L as they qualified as small company, but their P&L reserve was at $0.8m, impressive for a start up, but far from 'huge'.

Here's the coindesk article on the recent events:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-reports-hot-wallet-issue-tells-customers-not-deposit-bitcoin/

whose is reporting the whole profit?  there is no company is this world to do that. they will pay taxes. remember, BitStamp is one of the biggest exchangers.

also, look to the amount of the transactions they had last year and look to their fees. it's pretty easy to make a summary calculation.

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016
Bitstamp is hacked. It's a fact. I think they can cover the loss from their HUGE profit they made last year IF they want that, of course  Wink

Any sources to proove this or just speculation?
I never trust any exchange. After gox everyone should have realized to store his coins in a cold wallet.At least not on an exchange account.
legendary

So what is the 'huge profit' they made? Source?

Their latest filed accounts (for 2013) doesn't show P&L as they qualified as small company, but their P&L reserve was at $0.8m, impressive for a start up, but far from 'huge'.

Here's the coindesk article on the recent events:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-reports-hot-wallet-issue-tells-customers-not-deposit-bitcoin/
legendary
Mtgox again?  Huh

January is a bad month for Bitcoin

No, not Mtgox again. Mtgox lost all bitcoins whereas Bitstamp states cold storaged coins are fine.
So either you can't read or you don't trust Bistamp.

Do you trust them? Remember that MtGox said the same in the first instance. Smiley

Maybe it's a "small" incident and everything will be cool or maybe not...
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
No, not Mtgox again. Mtgox lost all bitcoins whereas Bitstamp states cold storaged coins are fine.

I also think this isn't gox 2 but remember, all gox cold storage coins were "safe" too.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Im thinking they currently just have a technical issue, im not using them or have any money in there but its doesnt look like a gox situation.

Your post is not very entertaining. I want a better conspiracy theory, like "they tried to stop plummeting Bitcoin price with money they didn't have".
Pages:
Jump to: