Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp issues statement and temporarily suspends service - page 6. (Read 8053 times)

legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
It is still out.!! No idea how long it's going to take.!! this sucks.!! I personally dont think it is a similar situation to mt.gox..! but anyways they should sort it out soon.!
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
Solution: use bitcoin the way it was meant to be: without 3rd party *anything*...

we need this:

The new altcoins have been hogging all the fun new toys, and it's time we showed you can teach an old(ish) doge new tricks...

CATE (Cross-chain Atomic Trading Engine) is a bridging application that sits between any two Bitcoin Core 0.9+ derived clients (although only tested with Bitcoin and Dogecoin so far) and enables transactions between the two blockchains. Testing is ongoing, and right now it's really only intended for developer use/experiments, but the basics all work, and you can see the code right now at https://github.com/rnicoll/cate

Immediate priorities are improved documentation, further testing (especially AuxPoW blocks), producing a specific intermediary library to add altcoin support to python-bitcoinlib (instead of just using a fork of that library), and giving it a half-decent UI, but the code's far enough along for others to start poking at it now.

You can read up on the theory of how this works at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Atomic_cross-chain_trading

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2re9sz/bitcoindogecoin_crosschain_transactions/
legendary
Activity: 977
Merit: 1000
Solution: use bitcoin the way it was meant to be: without 3rd party *anything*...
Activity: 313
Merit: 250
we are talking about 14% of their coins lost ? pffff... Smiley
a lot of money lost. millions !

Where do you see 14% of their total coins is lost?

I think they just lost a few hundred coins max.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2re2pw/18864_coins_stolen_from_stamp_that_doesnt_look/

this sucks.

There's still an option that the address belongs to bitstamp and these are all bitstamp withdrawals. I personally hope so.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2re2pw/18864_coins_stolen_from_stamp_that_doesnt_look/

this sucks.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
That's always a problem with centralized exchanges, you never know what is happening behind the scene, everything that published could be a make-up story

The problem is people's mindset has not changed to decentralized way of thinking, they usually seek a centralized organization for security and convenience, and this behavior might not change in generations

legendary
yes, it is an honest announcement BUT the problem remains. Bitcoin price will go down and many people will lose a lot of money today.
The China market will react tomorrow when a lot of chineses will sell
Activity: 313
Merit: 250

Bitstamp Service Temporarily Suspended

We have reason to believe that one of Bitstamp’s operational wallets was compromised on January 4th, 2015.

As a security precaution against compromises Bitstamp only maintains a small fraction of customer bitcoins in online systems. Bitstamp maintains more than enough offline reserves to cover the compromised bitcoins.

IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DEPOSITS TO PREVIOUSLY ISSUED BITCOIN DEPOSIT ADDRESSES. THEY CANNOT BE HONORED!

Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.

Bitstamp takes our security and soundness very seriously. In an excess of caution, we are suspending service as we continue to investigate. We will return to service and amend our security measures as appropriate.

Bitstamp Team

Seems fine to me
legendary
They are handling this incident good Smiley im happy with them still

yeap but many people will still lose a lot of money from the Bitcoin depreciation.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
They are handling this incident good Smiley im happy with them still
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. Combine this with Apple Pay whom basically took the btc idea and ran with it. Forget the "fiat" currency BS. The losses that the masses of btc owners have incurred over the last year would take eternity to recover. Too many scammers and with the cost of electricity and difficulty and ZERO profits, the entire attraction of btc is GONE. All the cloud miners are worthless. It's has more signs of a demise than any currency or commodity out there. I am cashing out and hitting the small cap miners.

Stop with the FUD.  Bitcoin is not bitstamp or mtgox etc. 

legendary
and it seems they have a problem with their  bank account too....
Pages:
Jump to: