Pages:
Author

Topic: BlockBurner LLC - Crucible FPGA Scrypt Miner - Announcement Aug-19 - page 10. (Read 42381 times)

Activity: 399
Merit: 250
May I know the hashing power? 10 or 20 mg/s?

It is not bitcoin.. for FPGA it should be in the KH/s, even multiple graphics cards only give you low MH/s

Wrong. FPHA has nothing to do with it. It's because LTC is SCRYPT, and I am assuming the goal of the FPGA's would be to reach into MH/Sek otherwise why design them?

FPGA's are likely to continue to lag behind GPU for litecoin, currently there are no products I know of that can produce in the MH/s range for a single unit.

I.E a single GPU/ FPGA (even with multiple cores), and the reason to design with FPGA are numerous, I will give you two.

1. lower power consumption
2. Ebay scrap. (this works fine for individual miners, but not if you want to build and sell to the public.....)

So even if I cannot match GPU:FPGA on a 1:1 basis, I can out purchase on a 1:n basis
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
Will the FPGAs take more than a month to be completed? Is there a pre-estimation?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100

It is not bitcoin.. for FPGA it should be in the KH/s, even multiple graphics cards only give you low MH/s

Wrong. FPHA has nothing to do with it. It's because LTC is SCRYPT, and I am assuming the goal of the FPGA's would be to reach into MH/Sek otherwise why design them?
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
You need a good old fashioned email newsletter, for those of us who are not into fb/tw/reddit

Also we would buy about $3,000-$7,000 of equipment, provided the price is right etc. etc.

Unlikely to spend more than $500 on any pre-orders, you can thank those who came before you (and might deliver after you) for that.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
We're working on developing FPGA technologies as well. We can collaborate if you'd like.

Activity: 406
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Cool, subscribed. Can't wait to see where this goes. I'm definitely in for a few of these units.
Activity: 798
www.DonateMedia.org
www.DonateMedia.org
Definitely interested! If things look like they'd have a good ROI term, would look at maybe 50-100BTC~ of pre-orders (if you have a pre-order newsletter list, please append me to it Smiley )

That is definitely a goal. This machine is to be specialized for Scrypt unlike other FPGA miners available now, which perform better for SHA256. While they can mine Scrypt coins as well they are not as productive as they could be. Though the power savings alone over running several GPU's may be enough  Smiley

Along with BTC, I think as a Litecoin mining device there will be an option for Litecoin payments too, and regular USD to appeal to those who want to mine coins instead of buying them (naturally they would have no coins yet).

As part of the web building I will be doing through the rest of the week, bi-weekly newsletter will be incorporated Cool We'll have Facebook, Twitter and some other things as well coming up to keep everyone updated in a variety of ways.

Operatr

Glad to hear that. Please notify us when the fb/twitter accounts are ready. Will you accept PayPal as a payment for preorders? Or you will accept only LTC/BTC?
Anyhow, count me in for the preorders.

PS: how about if you made a subreddit with "LTC-FPGA" that we can watch? Just saying..

I am hoping to have everything set up by the end of the week. Beyond FB and Twitter I would like to have an IRC channel, teamspeak/skype/vent options maybe, etc. BFL's problem is based around keeping their customers either in the dark or reporting conflicting information. Starting up this way hopefully will alleviate any "is Blockburner a scam?" posts in the future. All official announcements will be handled by me to ensure no one is left behind through a variety of effective public mediums. A subReddit is a great idea, I will incorporate that as well.

I am thinking payment options would include BTC/LTC, and USD, so Paypal would be an option. Diversifying  will allow everyone to pre-order no matter your currency of choice Smiley How best to mitigate crypto-currency holding price fluctuations are something to be decided a bit later.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Reality is stranger than fiction
Definitely interested! If things look like they'd have a good ROI term, would look at maybe 50-100BTC~ of pre-orders (if you have a pre-order newsletter list, please append me to it Smiley )

That is definitely a goal. This machine is to be specialized for Scrypt unlike other FPGA miners available now, which perform better for SHA256. While they can mine Scrypt coins as well they are not as productive as they could be. Though the power savings alone over running several GPU's may be enough  Smiley

Along with BTC, I think as a Litecoin mining device there will be an option for Litecoin payments too, and regular USD to appeal to those who want to mine coins instead of buying them (naturally they would have no coins yet).

As part of the web building I will be doing through the rest of the week, bi-weekly newsletter will be incorporated Cool We'll have Facebook, Twitter and some other things as well coming up to keep everyone updated in a variety of ways.

Operatr

Glad to hear that. Please notify us when the fb/twitter accounts are ready. Will you accept PayPal as a payment for preorders? Or you will accept only LTC/BTC?
Anyhow, count me in for the preorders.

PS: how about if you made a subreddit with "LTC-FPGA" that we can watch? Just saying..
www.DonateMedia.org

That is definitely a goal. This machine is to be specialized for Scrypt unlike other FPGA miners available now, which perform better for SHA256. While they can mine Scrypt coins as well they are not as productive as they could be. Though the power savings alone over running several GPU's may be enough  Smiley

Operatr
Activity: 305
www.DonateMedia.org
Update:

The dev team is now getting on to our new project home with Atlassian, discussions are already flowing for hardware considerations to develop the ideal FPGA for Scrypt and an initial Git has been posted. We will be breaking up into specific teams in due time as everyone gets settled in. The project page comes complete with a Git repository as well for, as the intent is to release the client software as an open source package.

Meanwhile I myself am getting the home website up and running, with community forums.

More to come soon!

Operatr

K some VERY VERY preliminary verifiable measurements. (verifiable from my side).

Iv'e had code for some time that takes about 1ms to do ONE round (no laughing at the back there), which would make it about a 1kh/s.
This is actual code on an FPGA,  yes it has not been optimized yet and yes it is a SINGLE core.

This is not a  'get rich quick scheme' but rather a pure research task, possibly the first images of  an FPGA product running litecoin.
Crypto currencies are of interest to me, but I really will be surprised if people can break into high double figures with a single core on an FPGA.

Interesting stuff. Thinking about having a play around with this myself. Is there any opensource Scrypt VHDL out there? Or should I just roll my own with the SHA1 and mod the Salsa20 that is up on opencores site? I'm not thinking about mining or anything just to get some throughput data/energy costs etc and also work out what the problems are people will face who want todo it properly.

If all else fails I'm thinking of running it on top of a NIOS II implementation. Completely pointless but got to be worth a shot just for the laughs.

You will need to roll your own, the implementations are not too good.
Personally I have great difficulty believing some of the figures that are being bandied about for litecoin FPGA.

Can you share a link to the threads with your bandied about numbers?  I haven't seen anybody say anything that outrageous here.

learn to use google...(that magic thing you can Copy& paste sections of text into, to track down stuff)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98535.5;wap2

But specifically  it is the 80% free I take exception to.

Anyway I finally received some 50A TI power modules, so I can run Bitcoin & Litecoin research boards together.
phk
Activity: 28
why would it be easier than just implementing SHA256?

I think that post is just (old) off-the-cuff remarks and has multiple errors (not fully fleshed out ideas).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
These numbers are from bitfury somewhere in the forum here.

Thank you.  I found this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1081219

It's weird that he would say
Hmm ... maybe even Litecoin chip would be done before Bitcoin chip, as it seems to be much simpler and uses well-known techniques - less competition :-)

The implementation of scrypt for Litecoin requires you to do the equivalent number of SHA256 hashes to the number of execution of the salsa for loop.  If the Litecoin implementation of scrypt includes SHA256 (the algo bitcoin uses) and memory intensive salsa stream cipher rounds, why would it be easier than just implementing SHA256?
phk
Activity: 28
These numbers are from bitfury somewhere in the forum here.

Thank you.  I found this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1081219

legendary
Activity: 1270
Personally I have great difficulty believing some of the figures that are being bandied about for litecoin FPGA.

Can you share a link to the threads with your bandied about numbers?  I haven't seen anybody say anything that outrageous here.

These numbers are from bitfury somewhere in the forum here. While its not so easy to verify the numbers i think he is a quite skilled HW-Designer so i would careful with 'ABRACADABRA'.

http://bitfury.org/
Pages:
Jump to: