Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty for open source ByteCoin/Monero GUI - page 2. (Read 40736 times)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Just a tip for anyone that copies over their old wallet to use.

I went ahead and copied over my old mining wallet replacing the new wallet files the gui created. It loaded fine but because there were so many transactions it took like 10 minutes to load everything up. I don't use the wallet anymore since I consolidated into a new wallet to get rid of dust. I just wanted to see it load with so many transactions. It does but it takes a long time so just keep that in mind if you try to load a wallet with lots of transactions. Mine had 1,994 transactions to be exact. They all show up in the transactions tab tho Tongue

I wouldn't recommend using an old wallet like that anyways. You are better off creating a new wallet then send everything to it to consolidate. I think I sent everything to the exchange first then to my new wallet. Not sure if you need to send to an exchange first but it seemed like a good idea at the time. It's definitely so much better consolidating it tho.

Edit: If you copy and replace the new wallet files just make sure you haven't sent anything to the new wallet first. Tongue
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
When will the stable gui wallet come out?
Activity: 54
Merit: 134
Devs have been busy but this will be decided and payments made soon. The decision will be made by the bounty contributors as stated earlier (incidentally it's mostly the devs as the current pot stands).
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Can we get an official statement from one of the XMR devs that this is a stable version with no risk involved to move coins.

Im to heavily invested to lose any coins Smiley

And yeah I think a pick for the winner would be nice.

Voting date has come and gone. No word from devs.
Activity: 565
Merit: 500
Can we get an official statement from one of the XMR devs that this is a stable version with no risk involved to move coins.

Im to heavily invested to lose any coins Smiley

And yeah I think a pick for the winner would be nice.
is it possible to open an existing wallet with this client?

I was able to move my old wallets over with no issue. It recognized the password and everything. I did move all three files for each wallet including the .bin file etc.
Activity: 55
Merit: 1
is it possible to open an existing wallet with this client?
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
Monero Client v0.29.0
https://github.com/Jojatekok/monero-client/releases/tag/v0.29.0

This version makes the users unable to start multiple instances of the software. Some unrequired calls and functions have also been removed, thus, resulting in performance improvement (just try out QR code generation Wink). The crash logger doesn't log messages on shutdown anymore. Notice that this release didn't get a "Pre-release" tag on GitHub, which means that it can - and should - be safely used.

As July 1st had just passed, my entry for the bounty is still Monero Client v0.28.1 to be fair, which can be downloaded from here.

It's working great. Outstanding work!!!

I've created a quick start doc (With pretty pictures too Tongue) and pm'd you a link. Can you take a quick look to make sure my statements are correct? I wrote some quick info about what works and what to look for when sending etc. I just want to make sure I'm not making any incorrect statements. If you think it's good I can post the link in the forum. I think it would help new users out.

Edit: Here it is...

https://www.dropbox.com/l/b1Y5qqG7zBlMXUcLTQVO0u?

Great work, as I have already told you in a PM. Wink
Monero Client v0.29.0

This version makes the users unable to start multiple instances of the software. Some unrequired calls and functions have also been removed, thus, resulting in performance improvement (just try out QR code generation Wink). The crash logger doesn't log messages on shutdown anymore. Notice that this release didn't get a "Pre-release" tag on GitHub, which means that it can - and should - be safely used.

As July 1st had just passed, my entry for the bounty is still Monero Client v0.28.1 to be fair, which can be downloaded from here.

It's working great. Outstanding work!!!

I've created a quick start doc (With pretty pictures too Tongue) and pm'd you a link. Can you take a quick look to make sure my statements are correct? I wrote some quick info about what works and what to look for when sending etc. I just want to make sure I'm not making any incorrect statements. If you think it's good I can post the link in the forum. I think it would help new users out.

Edit: Here it is...

https://www.dropbox.com/l/b1Y5qqG7zBlMXUcLTQVO0u?
Great!

What are the steps to properly move our coins to a new wallet when there is an update?

Also, can you "change" password? It's greyed out (although I'm synching)

There is no need to move to a new wallet after each new version. You should just keep your WalletData folder in the application's directory, and then delete everything else there in order to be up to date with the software,

Currently, I don't know about any kind of regular methods of changing the wallet's password using simplewallet.exe, so that's the reason for greying it out. Wink
legendary
Great!

What are the steps to properly move our coins to a new wallet when there is an update?

Also, can you "change" password? It's greyed out (although I'm synching)
Monero Client v0.29.0

legendary

It's always great to have competition, as it makes products more perfect. From my side, I would happily agree to split the bounty between the developers of the most stable and easily usable wallets. There should be a voting at the 1st of July (?) of the best GUI, picked by the users.

The prizes could be the following ('x' is a variable which stands for the amount of the bounty, equally split into 8 parts):
1st place: 5 * x
2nd place: 2 * x
3rd place: 1 * x

Please give feedback about my idea! Smiley

Great suggestions. The terms will be a 5:2:1 bounty split to be decided on July 1st. We have 2610 XMR collected currently so that will be the prize pool (plus anything that may be contributed over June). The decision will be made by the bounty funders over an IRC discussion.

The end goal here is really to get something the community will use in the medium/long term, not just a coding contest that ends on July 1st. So the winning GUIs will be decided based both on the current state and on future viability as a cross-platform GUI. It's fine if a submission doesn't quite meet the second part - it's still eligible to receive part of the 5:2:1 prize pool.

So......
Time to vote?  Grin
Activity: 50
Merit: 0

Hello villabacho.

Thank you for testing the Qt wallet.
I noticed the same problem yesterday when I resynced the whole blockchain for a wallet : I received XMR during syncing but I had to restart the whole app to see them (as the transaction history). Since refreshes are done periodically from the GUI, I think the wallet simplewallet/rpcwallet doesn't refresh correctly in some conditions. (ie: it seems that if a refresh failed once, the wallet will not refresh itself anymore).

Fixes are in testing : https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/55

I will do some manual testing with recent branches.

Cool, thanks :-)
Hi neozaru,

I managed to compile your QT wallet under Linux Mint 17, looks nice and works well for me.
Only thing I noticed so far is that there seems to be no periodical refresh done. I transferred
some XMR to a new wallet which I created with bitmonero-qt, I also saw those XMR arrive in
the GUI, but it kept saying "Usable right now: 0.000000000 XMR". But when I shut down and
restart the GUI, all of the XMR was immediately usable. It should have been probably already
before if only a refresh had been done, I believe.

Thanks!

Hello villabacho.

Thank you for testing the Qt wallet.
I noticed the same problem yesterday when I resynced the whole blockchain for a wallet : I received XMR during syncing but I had to restart the whole app to see them (as the transaction history). Since refreshes are done periodically from the GUI, I think the wallet simplewallet/rpcwallet doesn't refresh correctly in some conditions. (ie: it seems that if a refresh failed once, the wallet will not refresh itself anymore).

Fixes are in testing : https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/55

I will do some manual testing with recent branches.
[quote author=neozaru link=topic=589561.msg7608367#msg7608367 date=140416560

It works well. I used it for weeks in replacement of simplewallet and it fits my needs without bugs. I mainly focused or code architecture in order to keep it flexible and future-proof.
However, I keep it for devs only until more Monero Core features are implemented. (I will try to participate).
If you want, you can try the version I use in my Windows 8 (x64) tests here :
http://toh.neozaru.info/toh/public/bitmonero-qt-0.0.1.zip

About the RPC-free wallet, compiling with it is a tedious task because required code is not part of official Monero repository. Thus, bitmonero-qt can still be used with simplewallet/RPC.
[/quote]

Hi neozaru,

I managed to compile your QT wallet under Linux Mint 17, looks nice and works well for me.
Only thing I noticed so far is that there seems to be no periodical refresh done. I transferred
some XMR to a new wallet which I created with bitmonero-qt, I also saw those XMR arrive in
the GUI, but it kept saying "Usable right now: 0.000000000 XMR". But when I shut down and
restart the GUI, all of the XMR was immediately usable. It should have been probably already
before if only a refresh had been done, I believe.

Thanks!
Activity: 723
Merit: 503
Thanks for your feedbkack Jojatekok.

[...]
Although, there are some visual annoyances (for example, on Windows, the whole application produces weird window behavior, there should be an epilepsy warning before doing such an operation  Grin) [...]

I didn't noticed that. I think it depends on compilation options and embedded .dll's. The binary I linked works without glitches in a W8 virtual machine, but as I use it for personal tests, I didn't test it in more specific environments. In the future in will need to go further in compilation options and platform-dependent problems, although this is not my priority yet. Also, an "OpenGL" version can be compiled but requires GPU drivers.

I am using Windows 7 SP1 x64, to be exact. Wink

By the way, how and when will the bounty's winners be chosen? If possible, I would propose a voting by users with 20+ posts.

I am a user and I'd rather delegate my vote to the developers. They are the only one who knows the true value of the GUIs. Users are too often inclined to choose a beautiful and well marketed software that was rushed instead of one strongly built for the future.

[...]
Although, there are some visual annoyances (for example, on Windows, the whole application produces weird window behavior, there should be an epilepsy warning before doing such an operation  Grin) [...]

I didn't noticed that. I think it depends on compilation options and embedded .dll's. The binary I linked works without glitches in a W8 virtual machine, but as I use it for personal tests, I didn't test it in more specific environments. In the future in will need to go further in compilation options and platform-dependent problems, although this is not my priority yet. Also, an "OpenGL" version can be compiled but requires GPU drivers.

I am using Windows 7 SP1 x64, to be exact. Wink

By the way, how and when will the bounty's winners be chosen? If possible, I would propose a voting by users with 20+ posts.

[...]
Although, there are some visual annoyances (for example, on Windows, the whole application produces weird window behavior, there should be an epilepsy warning before doing such an operation  Grin) [...]

It works well. I used it for weeks in replacement of simplewallet and it fits my needs without bugs. I mainly focused or code architecture in order to keep it flexible and future-proof.
However, I keep it for devs only until more Monero Core features are implemented. (I will try to participate).
If you want, you can try the version I use in my Windows 8 (x64) tests here :
http://toh.neozaru.info/toh/public/bitmonero-qt-0.0.1.zip

About the RPC-free wallet, compiling with it is a tedious task because required code is not part of official Monero repository. Thus, bitmonero-qt can still be used with simplewallet/RPC.

Nice work! I see that you are very interested in a special Core concept. Smiley You have added some great features (I didn't try them all), including custom TX fees, and I see that a deeper integration of wallet functions is your goal.

Although, there are some visual annoyances (for example, on Windows, the whole application produces weird window behavior, there should be an epilepsy warning before doing such an operation  Grin), I see that you didn't just fork another Qt wallet, but made a lot of effort towards a better future with Monero. Wink
Pages:
Jump to: