Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 28. (Read 45073 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
Okay thank you, why drop it to 550 may I ask? I was thinking maybe I've fried a chip or a capacitor.
Although I thought the s9 could handle up to around 1125 Mhz, correct me if I'm wrong

Efficiency. You want to max the amount of hashing for the less energy consumption. After certain zone you start spending more energy per hash which makes it pointless. Besides the PSU would have to big much bigger (Ie. 2200w).

In most circumstances you earn more money by downclocking the chips to 500ish mhz rather than going the opposite direction.

And is far better to have two "cool and quiet" S9s producing 20THs and consuming 1600w than a single S9 producing 20th but consuming 2000+w, not to mention the stress to the chips and the high temperatures and maxed fans (who also consume power).

Remarkably an S9 that by default used to consume 100W/T can now consume 80W/T downclocking it like that.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Okay thank you, why drop it to 550 may I ask? I was thinking maybe I've fried a chip or a capacitor.
Although I thought the s9 could handle up to around 1125 Mhz, correct me if I'm wrong.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
When you crank up the frequency it pulls more and more juice. You can get a amp meter on amazon for $10.
You have to run them for a hour or so to make sure it is stable. At least they are cheap now. When they were $2000-$3000 it was a disaster.
If you set the freq back down to 550 and the red light is still out board probably toast.
Usually if the red light does not come on you are done.
Activity: 5
Okay I flashed this onto my S9 around 12 hours ago, was running fine, hashing nicely, I tried to over clock, I went from 650 Mhz to 675, then 700, then 725 still fine, then 750, around 5 minutes after going to 750, my s9 dropped to 10 th/s, I didn't think much of it at a first glance, until I noticed that the software was not reading my board/chain at all..
I also noticed on that board there is no red light on it, have a fried my board?
I only got the miner 2 days ago, so I don't know all that much about them, any help or suggestions what it might be would be helpful, I am going to revert back to my backup when I switch my miner on in the morning, thank you everyone
Yes just the t9. Same form factor and board shape as the s9 just 57 chips. No options on scan.

Have some t9+, I'll try an s9 braiins controller on it.
legendary
I can flash the t9 controller to braiins if I flash it to s9 dec5 firmware first.
Trying to flash a controller with t9 firmware installed will stop you.
If I flash a s9 controller (non c5) to braiins my 550 and 600 s9 hashboards will run better/faster with brains.
Gives new life to old s9 batch hashboards if you have  spare t9 controllers to flash or s9 non c5 boards

I have all my non c5 controllers running braiins now. Very stable.

Took a t9 with 3 57 chips boards.
Flashed controller to s9 dec5. Then flashed to braiins. Boots up and runs.
No temps show but is appears to be running well. Fans run at full speed.

This is a good discovery, are you using the --no-sensor-scan option?
IIRC there are at least three types of T9: T9, T9+ and T9++ each with different controllers. Which one is yours? First type?
I can flash the t9 controller to braiins if I flash it to s9 dec5 firmware first.
Trying to flash a controller with t9 firmware installed will stop you.
If I flash a s9 controller (non c5) to braiins my 550 and 600 s9 hashboards will run better/faster with brains.
Gives new life to old s9 batch hashboards if you have  spare t9 controllers to flash or s9 non c5 boards

I have all my non c5 controllers running braiins now. Very stable.

Took a t9 with 3 57 chips boards.
Flashed controller to s9 dec5. Then flashed to braiins. Boots up and runs.
No temps show but is appears to be running well. Fans run at full speed.
Activity: 159
Merit: 12
guys, from braiins - any plans to add per chip freq-tuning?
Activity: 24
Merit: 3
When copy/pasting look out for an extra whitespace at the end of the text. Very often a trailing space is copied as part of the text and must be deleted from the string before it is able to be used.

Thanks yeah. I work in a tech support role and have to deal with simple user error a lot like trailing white spaces etc often. I'll do some more digging and report back if I find a cure for this CGminer stopped issue. I'm sure there are debug / system logs I can check somewhere....
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
When copy/pasting look out for an extra whitespace at the end of the text. Very often a trailing space is copied as part of the text and must be deleted from the string before it is able to be used.
I got this error when the pool configuration is incorrect, mainly the worker name.

I wish it was this problem. But my pools were alive and I straight copy pasted from other miners running already, incrementing the worker number.
Activity: 500
Merit: 105
GUI running fine.. but when trying to mine I get an error "CGminer stopped" or "CGminer keeps stopping, possibly incorrect configuration" (or something similar)...

I got this error when the pool configuration is incorrect, mainly the worker name.
Hey dudes

LOVE Braiins OS. I am getting 15.5TH out each of my secondhand 13.5TH S9  - Whats more they are running comfortably under 79'c and under 50% fan speed. Beautiful.

However!  Anyone had this issue... ?

I installed via windows, python/SSH on a (brand new) DragonMint T1 and everything looked great!

GUI running fine.. but when trying to mine I get an error "CGminer stopped" or "CGminer keeps stopping, possibly incorrect configuration" (or something similar)

CGminer and monitor is installed, I made no modifications to the stock OS install, all tabs work etc and Pools all say they are alive.

What could be wrong?

I tried reinstalling, reverting to manufacture restoration (which does hash) and reinstalling. It is a G19 version with no SD card slot on the controller.
legendary
This time there are not many more details, but here it goes in case something was missed:

[feature] temperature limits are now configurable via configuration file. The two new configuration options are: --fan-temp-hot and --fan-temp-dangerous. These options effectively override the temp limits in temp-def.h

This part of the documentation is in error, in case anyone needed to use those options they actually are:

fan-dangerous-temp and fan-hot-temp.

Quote from: JAKUB HORAK
yes, that's the correct format (... "fan-dangerous-temp":"90", ...)
Looks like I can run a 57 chip T9 board with braiins if I have one s9 63 chip board in the machine also.
Chip temp not showing on awesomeminer for the t9 but appears to run great.
Also, just had an R4 burn up wires and a corsair psu.
R4 dead. Controller ok. put braiins on it and stuck it in an s9 shell. Works great.

Just got an s9 on ebay and it was running braiins. Threw me for a bit. Just used to stock Dec 5 2018 firmware.
braiins is great. Much faster booting, led sequence very good, quiet. A bit more sane.
Looks like braiins is my goto. Wish it would work on old controllers. Have a few 550 and 600 s9's with older controllers.
Very pleased.
As i said before, currently only the Antminer S9 and the Dragonmint T1 are supported, nothing else. This might change in the future, but for the time being, don't use it with other models.

was just giving it a shot. have few T9s I can spare.
legendary
Just to say that I have tried BOS on T9 and it didn't work.
the miner did boot and hashing but the interface kept being lost between recognizing 63 chips or 57.

As i said before, currently only the Antminer S9 and the Dragonmint T1 are supported, nothing else. This might change in the future, but for the time being, don't use it with other models.
Just to say that I have tried BOS on T9 and it didn't work.
the miner did boot and hashing but the interface kept being lost between recognizing 63 chips or 57.
Activity: 53
Thank you for that info Velles....
Appreciate the effort and time... it's been a bugger for me and you laid it out there nicely.
Activity: 8
Merit: 6
I have an S9 that was flashed through the gui and would like to return it to factory condition/OS.
I have read the braiins-os paper on how to, but must be missing something. I have also done searches but nothing is helping me.
Could someone please give me a step by step process to revert back to original state, or even point me in the right direction if those directions have been dummied down for folks like myself. Appreciate any help.
thanks.

see post #273 and before

Here are the instructions for if you do not have a backup from when you upgraded to bOS

1.) create empty directory backup
2.) create text file mac (without any file extension)
3.) write one line with MAC address to the file mac (you can obtain your MAC address from web interface Network -> Interfaces -> MAC-Address)
4.) compress the file mac with tar using gzip compression and store it to the backup directory with a name config.tar.gz
5.) create a file called uEnv.txt in the back up directory containing the following information:

Code:
recovery_mtdparts=mtdparts=pl35x-nand:32m(BOOT.bin-env-dts-kernel),144m(angstram-rootfs),80m(upgrade-rootfs)

6. Download recovery firmware from bitmain (for this example Antminer-S9-all-201812051512-autofreq-user-Update2UBI-NF.tar.gz is used)
7. install python (using information provided on Braiins page https://docs.braiins-os.org/python-install)
8. make a folder called backup
9. put the factory image in it, along with two more files: uEnv.txt and config.tar.gz (that contains mac adress)

in python You need to run:

Code:
python3 restore2factory.py path/to/backup ip_hostname --factory-image path/to/Antminer-S9-all-201812051512-autofreq-user-Update2UBI-NF.tar.gz

i ran command :

Code:
C:\python\braiins-os>python restore2factory.py backup/ 192.168.2.244 --factory-image backup/Antminer-S9-all-201711171757-autofreq-user-Update2UBI-NF.tar.gz

ps:
i heard they changed something in the last iteration so this could not work

it is stated:

Using factory firmware image
On Antminer S9, you can alternatively flash a factory firmware image from manufacturer’s website, with FACTORY_IMAGE being file path or URL to the tar.gz (not extracted!) file. Supported images with corresponding MD5 hashes are listed in the platform.py file.

Run (on Windows, use python command instead of python3):

Code:
python3 restore2factory.py --factory-image FACTORY_IMAGE your-miner-hostname-or-ip

so, i think you can skip step 9.
Pages:
Jump to: