Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 31. (Read 45039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
Here are some tests I have done with different frequency and voltage on S9J, 14.5 TH/s
Have not get time to check power draw yet, will do soon and add them too.

If you want to aim for efficiency, you might want to try 500 mhz 8.0~8.1volts.
The goal for efficiency is achieving the highest hash rate a single watt can give, even if you end with miners doing 10TH/s but consuming 823watts.

Philipma1957 managed to obtain impressive results, you might want to find out which setting is the most efficient, but as you said, each board behaves differently.

S9s used to spend 100 watts per TH, but now with Braiins OS they can do 80. Under-clocking should not be underestimated...
Activity: 686
Merit: 140
Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!
Here are some tests I have done with different frequency and voltage on S9J, 14.5 TH/s
Have not get time to check power draw yet, will do soon and add them too.

As you can see some miners give different hashrate with same settings,
So your experience may differ.

OS    

Bitmain(default)
Braiins
Braiins(default)
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins
Braiins

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
I'm running auto control right now, I noticed the s9 13.5th unit I have which had "intermittent" fan spin up is gone since today.
Activity: 6
Merit: 1
For the fan speed, what is everyone setting their desired temp to?
We are not retail.
What are your settings/results?
copper member
Activity: 330
Merit: 103
I don't see any or much difference in performance from the LPM firmware bitmain released.

bOS lets you control voltages/freq/fans on a board by board basis, don't think you can do that with BM's FW.
We are not retail.
I don't see any or much difference in performance from the LPM firmware bitmain released.
legendary
Hi all! Trying to ssh braiins to my Dragonmint T1 (g19) and im getting this: "Error log: Unsupported miner RAM size: 250544 kB" . Any clues to what i'm doing wrong?

Does it have the SD slot? If not, you can't use it.
That error simply means 256M of ram is not supported, maybe it needs 512M?
Its not needed. But the SD card users tend to flash the exact same image (from a PC) to multiple SDs, therefore cloning the mac address.
If your devices are already using different mac addresses, don't worry.

Thanks for clarify.

I just flashed an S9J with ssh image successfully and am going to do the rest of my miners

Need a little help here,
At the end of the operation it print out "Content of U-Boot configuration" as bellow:

Code:
Content of U-Boot configuration:
miner_pool_host=stratum+tcp://stratum.slushpool.com
miner_pool_port=3333
miner_pool_user=!non-existent-user!
load_addr=0x2000000
fdt_high=0x7FFFFFF
initrd_high=0x7FFFFFF
bitstream_addr=0x2100000
bootenv=uEnv.txt
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 r rootfstype=squashfs ${mtdparts} earlyprintk
uenv_load=load mmc 0 ${load_addr} ${bootenv} && echo Loaded environment from ${bootenv} && env import -t ${load_addr} ${filesize}
load_fpga=nand read ${load_addr} ${bitstream_off} ${bitstream_size} && unzip ${load_addr} ${bitstream_addr} && fpga loadb 0 ${bitstream_addr} ${bitstream_size}
nandboot=echo Copying FIT from NAND flash to RAM... && run uenv_load; test x${sd_boot} = xyes && run sdboot; run set_bootargs && run load_fpga && nand read ${load_addr} ${kernel_off} ${kernel_size} && bootm ${load_addr}
sdboot=echo Copying FIT from SD to RAM... && run set_bootargs && run uenv_load; load mmc 0 ${load_addr} fit.itb && bootm ${load_addr}
mtdids=nand0=pl35x-nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=pl35x-nand:512k(boot),2560k(uboot),2m(fpga1),2m(fpga2),512k(uboot_env),512k(miner_cfg),22m(recovery),95m(firmware1),95m(firmware2)
bootcmd=run $modeboot
bitstream_off=0x300000
bitstream_size=0x74a74
kernel_off=0xB000000
kernel_size=0x6b5274
stage2_off=0x3D00000
stage2_size=0x1076b99
stage2_mtd=8
ethaddr=0c:19:d1:fc:4e:a9
miner_hwid=TKGqkuaOSqj1UIaz
miner_freq=550
miner_voltage=0706
net_ip=192.168.1.81
net_mask=255.255.255.0
net_gateway=192.168.1.1
net_dns_servers=192.168.1.1

And then:

Code:
Upgrade was successful!

Where can I find "U-Boot configuration" to edit so I dont need to manually edit all the other miners after flash.
legendary
Does the mac address adjustment needed for latest cobalt 2019-01-24 to flash permanent via ssh or its only needed for sd card?

Its not needed. But the SD card users tend to flash the exact same image (from a PC) to multiple SDs, therefore cloning the mac address.
If your devices are already using different mac addresses, don't worry.
Does the mac address adjustment needed for latest cobalt 2019-01-24 to flash permanent via ssh or its only needed for sd card?

Hi guys and thanks Braiins for the great firmware!

I am wondering if someone has an idea how to perform different freq and voltages set up on a schedule?
For example to set up frequency 500 with voltage 8 at 7:00-22:59 and to set up frequency 750 with voltage 9 at 23:00-6:59.

Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Add 2 cgminer.conf with your desired configs

Example:

Code:
/root/cgminer.conf.500 
/root/cgminer.conf.750

Then edit crontab and set it to copy them before reload cgminer like this

Code:
0 7 * * * cp /root/cgminer.conf.500 /etc/cgminer.conf && /etc/init.d/cgminer reload
0 23 * * * cp /root/cgminer.conf.750 /etc/cgminer.conf && /etc/init.d/cgminer reload

Dont know if you need to stop cgminer before copy new config or not, if so you can do this:

Code:
59 6 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer stop
0 7 * * * cp /root/cgminer.conf.500 /etc/cgminer.conf
1 7 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer start
59 22* * * /etc/init.d/cgminer stop
0 23 * * * cp /root/cgminer.conf.750 /etc/cgminer.conf
1 23 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer start
legendary
I get error Unknown package 'firmware'.

That is strange, but i think i experienced that once or twice before. Try removing the package firmware to force a reset: opkg remove firmware

If that doesn't work, then you could follow the procedure to return to the factory firmware, and then again install Braiins OS.

In the official docs, ignore where they mention an SD card, their English isn't perfect and that wording is imprecise. That is the procedure to return the firmware in the NAND (not SD) of your miner's controller (tho it could work the same if you had an SD card with the jp4 jumper moved, i guess?:

cd braiins-os_am1-s9_ssh_VERSION
python3 restore2factory.py backup/2ce9c4aab53c-2018-09-19/ your-miner-hostname-or-ip

This part 2ce9c4aab53c-2018-09-19 changes on each unit install. In Linux use tab to autocomplete the actual folder, or just look at them inside ./backup/.

If you installed it with the python script, you should already have a backup and going back to Bitmain's firmware is easy using that method.
But it is now possible to use the (current) python script to go back to a factory firmware downloaded from bitmain when you don't have a backup.

The restore2factory.py python script should have an argument that accepts Bitmain's firmware file directly, but I have yet to try that procedure.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
I get error Unknown package 'firmware'.

Code:
root@S9003:~# opkg update && opkg upgrade firmware
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/base/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/reboot_base
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/base/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/luci/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/reboot_luci
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/luci/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/packages/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/reboot_packages
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/packages/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/routing/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/reboot_routing
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/routing/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/telephony/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/reboot_telephony
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a9_neon/telephony/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
Unknown package 'firmware'.
root@S9003:~#
legendary
Currently running November version of braiins on bootable SD
Can someone explain how to upgrade to January version
Can it be done via ssh? Or do I have to burn image to ssd card again?
Docs are confusing for us non programmers

Upgrade the package firmware after refreshing the packages. Using the web ui:

I think it is best to reflash the SD card.

Be careful you don't end with cloned mac addresses.
copper member
Activity: 15
Merit: 21
BTC mining: Slush Pool, Stratum V2 & Braiins OS+

Hi,

you can upgrade to January release directly via the web interface.

We have described the process step-by-step here:
https://docs.braiins-os.org/#firmware-upgrade
Activity: 500
Merit: 105

I think it is best to reflash the SD card.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
you can change the MAC address from the Braiins interface in networks->interfaces->edit->advanced settings... save & reboot
Activity: 48
Merit: 14
For some reason my miner got a new IP from the router even though I set the same mac-address as with Bitmain FW. However we put BOS into my friends miner simultaneously (connected to same router) using his Bitmain FW-mac and got no conflicts. I can't remember if his miner got a new IP though.

Just saying that don't be to sure about the "it would have the same IP address as it had with the factory firmware" part.

BR.
Steff
I like this a lot. I am getting a s15 in a week.  So I have an interest  in  finding out how much it can be improved.  Would be nice to get  45 watts a th Grin

only the S15? no T15?

I've got T15s, it's cheaper to get them overall $/Ths
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org