Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 42. (Read 45027 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Hi,

I wou;d download Brain os, but i receive an error 520 on all files located in : https://feeds.braiins-os.org/

Do you have another mirror?
Activity: 500
Merit: 105
[...]

with the latest version you can change the MAC address and it is saving it even when you reboot. The same goes for the CGminer settings (am taking about running it from the SD card).
So you can change the MAC address and reserve an IP from the DHCP on the router.
Activity: 97
Merit: 5
Currently, I have three S9s that the fans are revving up and down every minute or so. All three are running off the SD image.

I only ever had this happen once before on an older S9 13.5 and just moved it down the line and set to fans 100%

Has anyone found a way to set or adjust the fans? I am hoping for an easy resolution and not have to pull them from the site.
Activity: 9
bunch of other options and why no fan settings? is there any way to custom fan setting? im using it with sd card on my s9 13.5
Activity: 3
Thanks for getting me looking in the right place. It seems to have been an issue with my router. The router showed the miner at the old IP. I found the miner's real address using an IP scanner, an address that didn't show up in the router, but still couldn't connect to it. Restarting the router did the trick.
Activity: 48
Merit: 14
is the firmware setting the "Recommended voltage" automatically?

or the voltage should be manually changed as recommended?

Hi.

If you set a certain frequency you can se a recommended voltage in the voltage-field and i believe that's the voltage Braiins sets it to.

I was confused because as I was increasing the frequency the recommended voltage dropped.

After this I set the frequency per board to the same as Bitmain's autotune set it before. The recommended voltages then were 9, 9 and 9.1. I locked the voltages to this and started to increase frequency step by step. I think this was a good basepoint.

I'm sure that the best setting is different for each miner and also dependent of if you have AsicBoost enabled or not (enabled in my case), but for me this worked out well. You can find my results earlier in this thread. There might also be a better setting for my miner, but in my case I seemed to get the best results (speed, power usage and error count taken into the calculations) when setting the same frequency on all boards and adjusting voltage until I got the same speed (+/- 100 GH/s) from each board.

Remember that overclocking is completely at your own risk which is also stated in Braiins-OS.

BR.
Steff

I tried reflashing an S9 using upgrade2bos.py. Seemed to work flawlessly - It completed by printing "Content of U-Boot configuration:", states that "Upgrade was successful!", and "Rebooting..." After quite some time I am still unable to access it via browser or SSH. It shows up on my router and is definitely drawing power.

What am I missing here? Is there a specific port?

Thanks.

Try to check if you ip has changed.

This happened to me when temporarily switching from Braiins to Autotune and S9 connected to router with DHCP enabled. When switching back to Braiins the IP also switched back.

This happened even though I had the S9:s mac-address set in uEnv.txt on SD-card.

You might also want to try to delete the history in your web-browser.

BR.
Steff
Activity: 82
Merit: 11
Flashed the braiins-os on some S9 for testing. First quick questions:

1) No Fan information available ?
2) Does braiins-os has emergency power off by overheat or  broken fan detection ?
3) how to write braiin os to nand when already booted with sdcard ?

Thanks
is the firmware setting the "Recommended voltage" automatically?

or the voltage should be manually changed as recommended?
Activity: 3
I tried reflashing an S9 using upgrade2bos.py. Seemed to work flawlessly - It completed by printing "Content of U-Boot configuration:", states that "Upgrade was successful!", and "Rebooting..." After quite some time I am still unable to access it via browser or SSH. It shows up on my router and is definitely drawing power.

What am I missing here? Is there a specific port?

Thanks.
Activity: 5
Set the Mac address on your router to a static address for that miner. And try again

Static leases are maintained by a windows DHCP server in my environment.  Thank you for the suggestion, I'll run with it in a couple ways and see if it alleviates the issue.
Activity: 59
Merit: 10
I've restored to factory on a couple with no issues.  Having one with this problem now though.  

[...]

This kills the web interface but SSH is still fine.  I try to run the script again and get this.

[...]

I can reboot and everything is as it was for Braiins, but can't get back to original firmware.
Not sure where to put bug reports for this but ayyyy.  Here ya go.

Set the Mac address on your router to a static address for that miner. And try again
I've restored to factory on a couple with no issues.  Having one with this problem now though.  

Code:
Rebooting.................................................Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "restore2factory.py", line 177, in
    main(args)
  File "restore2factory.py", line 149, in main
    restore_from_dir(args, args.backup)
  File "restore2factory.py", line 123, in restore_from_dir
    wait_for_reboot(args.hostname, REBOOT_DELAY)
  File "restore2factory.py", line 106, in wait_for_reboot
    while not wait_net_service(hostname, 22, 1):
  File "restore2factory.py", line 83, in wait_net_service
    s.connect((server, port))
OSError: [Errno 113] No route to host

This kills the web interface but SSH is still fine.  I try to run the script again and get this.

Code:
Connecting to remote host...
/home/pi/braiins-os_am1-s9_2018-10-24-0-9e5687a2/factory_transition/.env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/paramiko/client.py:822: UserWarning: Unknown ssh-rsa host key for 192.168.65.27: b'd63e5c5cef9b62df2dcfdaaef4f28b8f'
  key.get_name(), hostname, hexlify(key.get_fingerprint())
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "restore2factory.py", line 177, in
    main(args)
  File "restore2factory.py", line 149, in main
    restore_from_dir(args, args.backup)
  File "restore2factory.py", line 121, in restore_from_dir
    ssh.run('fw_setenv', RECOVERY_MTDPARTS[:-1], '"{}"'.format(mtdparts_params))
  File "/home/pi/braiins-os_am1-s9_2018-10-24-0-9e5687a2/factory_transition/ssh.py", line 228, in run
    self._check_exit_status(cmd, stdout, stderr)
  File "/home/pi/braiins-os_am1-s9_2018-10-24-0-9e5687a2/factory_transition/ssh.py", line 159, in _check_exit_status
    raise CalledProcessError(returncode, cmd, stdout, stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'fw_setenv recovery_mtdparts "mtdparts=pl35x-nand:32m(BOOT.bin-env-dts-kernel),144m(angstram-rootfs),80m(upgrade-rootfs)"' returned non-zero exit status 1

I can reboot and everything is as it was for Braiins, but can't get back to original firmware.
Not sure where to put bug reports for this but ayyyy.  Here ya go.
on a 13.5 machine am getting 14.6T at 695 with old firmware and 14.2 with the new firmware with AB enabled. can pump it to 15T but one of the chains is not going beyond 4.7T

chains names are not consistent. on pages it's 0-5 other 1-6
Activity: 34
Merit: 60
So testing on 1 machine for about 6 days now. Good start . On day 2, overclocked. Some Trial and error, got a steady 14.2  at 80 - 82 degrees (13.5 machine. usually ran about 13.6) .
Ran great and steady at 14.2 or so for several days, until last night. Then dropped to 13.4 -13.5. Machine re-starts daily. Tried resetting stock speeds and now machine is running at 12.9 or so. Will continue to play with....
So I continued trying to figure it out today and ended up with the following settings that I will keep for a while:

Frequency: 725 on all three chains.
Voltage: Chain 1: 8.9 V, chain 2: 9.1 V and chain 3: 9.2 V.
AsicBoost: enabled

Result:
All three chains hashing within 100 GH/s at around 5000 GH/s. So a total of just over 15 TH/s pulling 1440 W out of the wall. Yet to see if it's stable or not.

So after doing my calculations Bitmains LPM would be more efficient IF it would stick at 13,6 TH/s pulling 1220 W out of the wall.

Efficiency
Bitmain autotune: 13,6 THs at 1395 W = 9,75 GHs/W
Bitmain LPM: 13,6 THs at 1220 W = 11,06 GHs/W but drops after a few hours
Braiins OS: 15 THs at 1440 W = 10,42 GHs/W (Obviously I probably could get at least the same results as the LPM with Braiins, but where's the fun and the balls in that? Grin)

Please correct me if I got something wrong.

This would have been impossible with the other dev free solutions in this forum as my hashing chains are so different. With the possibility to set the frequency and voltage separately for each chain I think I got a pretty good result with a miner not that good.

So a big thanks to the Braiins-team.  Smiley

BR.
Steff
Has anyone had an issue with Braiins-OS on 14TH S9i's where they reboot every 30 minutes or so consistently.  I have units with both sd cards and flashed nand, no change.  Not sure if this is isolated to the S9i batch I have, but would like to hear if anyone has had this issue.

*EDIT* Figured this out, you have to create a password within the braiins web interface.  I guess that's okay, but.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
... or this only for SlushPool?

Does it say 'only Slushpool'? No.
Ergo, works with ANY pool that supports AB such as Kano.is, -ck's solo and his regular pool, and others.
Activity: 124
Merit: 47
Will this OS with LPM and/or the newest 1023 Bitmain firmware with LPM work to mine on NiceHash? Could one of you who have changed over to the LPM firmwares/OS's test this to see?

Thanks!

Just got a partial answer. NiceHash just made an announcement that they now support AsicBoost mining! Yeah, but, I'm still interested if the Braiins OS will mine with NiceHash and other pools - or this only for SlushPool?
Activity: 1
So my normal temps are between 75-80. I flashed this and everything shot up to 103-105. I tried taking off all boosts and click speeds and no luck. I just flashed back to stock and it's all fine. Any ideas? This was an s9i, and it also was only hashing like 13 while overheating.
cant get windows to format the image for booting it properly. Using Rufus 3.3 or Win32 Disk Imager 1.0 both load the sd card with the image file but it partitions the drive for 2 seperate drives. After changing the jumpers as per the guide and changing the mac address to match the one I was using nothing shows up on Angry IP scanner. The miner turns on with fans blazing and both led statuses stay lit up (Red & Amber)Windows 10 x64 Home Antminer S9 13.5TH model. Kinda stuck at this point.

Hi evilwar.

Don't know if I can help you, but as I also had som problems I'll try (discribed in earlier post).
- Download SD Memory Card Formatter from San Disk and format the SD card with the program.
- Extract the Braiins OS file package ones more on your harddrive.
- Start Win32DiskImager.
- Choose the SD.img from the folder you just extracted and the disk drive that shows you freshly formatted SD card.
- Press write.
- Change the mac addres in uEnv.txt on the on the SD card with notepad++ or similar.

Don't know if this does anything for you, but worked for me.

Regards.
Steff

So no luck this evening.  Sad

I had my sd card with me and when I got to the miner it didn't fit. Seems like I need a Micro SD card that's usually found in mobile phones. If I got the time I'll go back tomorrow evening.

Off topic, but insted I put the Bitmain 23 oct LPM software in the miner for now and can confirm a drop from 1395W to 1220W with no noticable drop in hash rate. Temperatures also seems to be the same and fan speeds are lower than before (noticeably quieter). Maybe even a small increase in hash rate, but by tomorron night I'll have a more credible average. If I don't get the time to fix the Micro SD tomorrow at least I know if the decline in hash rate after time (reported in other threads) also applies to my miner as I probably won't get the time to try Braiins OS until next weekend.

BR.
Steff

Today I gave Braiins a try as hash rate in the LPM seemed to decline pretty much for me in 24 hours and the hash rate was also unstable in my opinion.

As there is more or less no profit for me mining with the S9 at the moment I don't really mind bricking it, so I played around a little with frequensies and voltages without really knowing what I did. I got awful results so i returned to square one.

As my chains seems to be pretty different (third one lagging really bad) I set the frequensies as Bitmains autotune did before, meaning 646, 642 and 606. Surprisingly the hash rate on each chain started to look normal.

Braiins suggested 9 V for chain one and two and 9.1 V for chain three. After this I rised each chain by 25 MHz and then once more, but the hash rate kept dropping.

So back to 646, 642 and 606. I then locked the voltages at 9, 9 and 9.1 and then rised the frequencies again on each chain first by 25 and then 25 once more. It started to look better.

I ended up with 9, 9.1 and 9.2 and frequensies 696, 692 and 656. Now chain one and two are almost the same, and three still about 400 GHs behind.

Before AsicBoost with Bitmain Autotune the S9 did avg. 13.6 THs at 1395 W. Now with Braiins, AsicBoost activated and with settings above it did 14.3 THs at 1350 W after running about 15 min. Probably needs a little more time to settle, but I had to go home by then.

First question about temperature. Before I had a maximum of 67 degrees celsius (chain 1). Now 83. However the fans seems to turn much slower than with Autotune, but I can't find any fan speed reading nor setting in Braiins. Are the fans running slower in Braiins and will they speed up automatically if the temperature goes higher? Can they be set manually by configuring some file on the SD card? 83 Is not too bad, but I think the temperatures would be pretty close to before if the fans also had the same speed as before.

Second question. I thought that higher frequency needs higher voltage, but Braiins recommends higher voltage the lower the frequency. How can this be?

Is 9, 9.1 and 9.2 too high to keep the voltage at and then still try to increase the frequensy by steps of 25 and see what happens? Do I dare to rise the voltage even higher?

So what to try to find the sweet spot (best THs/electric cost)? I need to sit down with the miner, with a six-pack, with lots of time and change a little at a time to see what happens. However if you have any thoughts about which way to go with voltages and frequesies they would be appreciated. If the S9 gets bricked it's all my own responsibility.

//Steff
Pages:
Jump to: