Pages:
Author

Topic: Bryce Weiner attempted to tip ISIS!? - page 4. (Read 6531 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
March 09, 2015, 09:30:28 AM
While I personally hate ISIS and I think they are barbarians, savages and idiots. I think that if he Bryce Weiner of whoever in general wants to tip them he is free to do so. He will be labeled as supporter of terrorists of course but it is his free will. I am sure he did it only for the publicity tho. And he succeeded apparently.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
March 09, 2015, 09:19:48 AM
Is he stupid? This is a bad advertising for bitcoin. I hope he will stop here and make the excuse to all the bitcoin community. Why does not he delete the tweet ?  *https://twitter.com/BryceWeiner/status/571815231598534656 and this is the copy of the page https://archive.today/raER2 .
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
March 09, 2015, 09:16:43 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard someone say in serious conversation, "We support free speech within the confines of the current laws." That's like saying, we support free speech just not really really free speech. 

isn't this what all democratic governments claim?
but yes... its laughable...

IMHO i think self-censorship is worse than a government one (though it seems to me gov-censorship start and after a while people self-censor themselves).
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
March 09, 2015, 09:13:06 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard someone say in serious conversation, "We support free speech within the confines of the current laws." That's like saying, we support free speech just not really really free speech. 

Change tip kind of sucks huh, "The company's terms and conditions provide it the authority to block assets, deactivate or cancel offending user accounts or transfer bitcoin from a user's account should they be found in violation of this policy."
legendary
Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000
https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C
March 09, 2015, 08:14:59 AM
http://www.coindesk.com/changetip-user-banned-isis/

Not sure what to make of this.
I understand the point he was making (see coin desk article) but think that what he did or attempted to do does not justify it.
BTC has a mixed picture in the outside world. This only portrays it worse not to mention the effect that supporting terrorists can have!

What do you think?

I think he is an absolute and utter moron. Even if he was 'joking' albeit bland, humorless and just wrong, if ISIS wanted something to fuck around with next, I think they might take a bite now that this moron presented it....
Activity: 546
Warning: Confrmed Gavinista
March 09, 2015, 06:16:27 AM

[Bitcoin].. it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.

Ah, I see what you did there.  Grin  No evidence of this either?

Like I said earlier, the issue is the actual funding of Islamists in general. There is no point looking to blame Bitcoin, or in some way cite it in the rise of Isalmist teror. Thats just plain deception.

I mean, are you not outraged at the opening of oil exports out of Libya, from ports in the hands of current and former rebel leaders (Ibrahim Jathran for one) and a 'rival' prime minister with known links to Islamists (Omar al-Hassi)? Billions of dollars going directly to the Libyan central bank, and then to Islamists?

For what? So the price of a gallon of gas at the pumps is 30 cents cheaper. Now that, my friend, is something to be outraged over before being upset by some fools who misguidedly donate a few satoshi.

I'm not mad at Bitcoin at all. I'm very pro BTC. What I don't like is people abusing the freedom it offers for certain purposes.
This isn't a case of someone who accidentally tried to tip ISIS. The fact that whatever point he was trying to make shouldn't have been made with involving a terrorist organisation such as ISIS.

I didnt say accidentally. I said 'Misguidedly'.

I agree, but freedom cannot be conditional. You are either free to choose, or you are not. In an ideal world, there would be no ISIS to choose, but that is the reality we have engineered by doing business with them.

But at least his actions have opened up this debate, which is a good thing.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348
March 09, 2015, 05:57:00 AM

[Bitcoin].. it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.

Like I said earlier, the issue is the actual funding of Islamists in general. There is no point looking to blame Bitcoin, or in some way cite it in the rise of Isalmist teror. Thats just plain deception.

I mean, are you not outraged at the opening of oil exports out of Libya, from ports in the hands of current and former rebel leaders (Ibrahim Jathran for one) and a 'rival' prime minister with known links to Islamists (Omar al-Hassi)? Billions of dollars going directly to the Libyan central bank, and then to Islamists?

For what? So the price of a gallon of gas at the pumps is 30 cents cheaper. Now that, my friend, is something to be outraged over before being upset by some fools who misguidedly donate a few satoshi.

I'm not mad at Bitcoin at all. I'm very pro BTC. What I don't like is people abusing the freedom it offers for certain purposes.
This isn't a case of someone who accidentally tried to tip ISIS. The fact that whatever point he was trying to make shouldn't have been made with involving a terrorist organisation such as ISIS.
March 09, 2015, 05:42:08 AM

legendary
March 09, 2015, 02:13:27 AM

They've been using BTC for some time to raise funding for the terrorist activities.

They've also started selling antique and historical pieces from museums that they claim 'doesn't represent Islam' and whatnot.

Wow.  Do you have the links to where we will find that? Sounds interesting.

Yes please do provide a link because i do not believe it these guys take over banks and oil fields what do they need with bitcoin? The price is far to low for them to have been in it. What i think you are confused with is scammers pretending to be them and taking coin from the fools that is the thing with fools they will be parted with their money unfortunately. 

There are quite a few articles. A simple search online will bring you quite a few sources. Here are just a few.
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/14/how-does-isis-fund-its-reign-terror-282607.html

http://securityintelligence.com/isis-are-they-using-bitcoins-to-fund-criminal-activities/#.VPo_gMXgHa8

http://m.benzinga.com/article/5195010

From the first article:
despite ISIS’s dependence on high technology, the group does not yet appear to be using virtual currencies like Bitcoin to avoid engaging with the global financial system

That alone would suggest you are wrong in your original assertion?

But in your defense, from the last article:

The firm says the ISIS group had already received roughly $1,150 worth of bitcoins before the account was shut down by the FBI.

We should ignore all other sources and concentrate on this. its obviously key. :-)

Can you agree that Bitcoin is NOT a source of funding for ISIS?  The US dollar is.

Sorry, I didn't read all the articles. I simply copied the first few links from a quick search.
If you really want I could probably find some more accurate news articles.

Anyway, on your last point. Yes, IS ARENT receiving anywhere near as much as we'd expect from BTC however, it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.
As it stands currently, it's probably true that most their funding comes from the dollar due to the oil and petrol they've been selling.
March 09, 2015, 01:42:18 AM

They've been using BTC for some time to raise funding for the terrorist activities.

They've also started selling antique and historical pieces from museums that they claim 'doesn't represent Islam' and whatnot.

Yes please do provide a link because i do not believe it these guys take over banks and oil fields what do they need with bitcoin? The price is far to low for them to have been in it. What i think you are confused with is scammers pretending to be them and taking coin from the fools that is the thing with fools they will be parted with their money unfortunately. 

There are quite a few articles. A simple search online will bring you quite a few sources. Here are just a few.
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/14/how-does-isis-fund-its-reign-terror-282607.html

http://securityintelligence.com/isis-are-they-using-bitcoins-to-fund-criminal-activities/#.VPo_gMXgHa8

From the first article:
despite ISIS’s dependence on high technology, the group does not yet appear to be using virtual currencies like Bitcoin to avoid engaging with the global financial system

That alone would suggest you are wrong in your original assertion?

But in your defense, from the last article:

The firm says the ISIS group had already received roughly $1,150 worth of bitcoins before the account was shut down by the FBI.

We should ignore all other sources and concentrate on this. its obviously key. :-)

Can you agree that Bitcoin is NOT a source of funding for ISIS?  The US dollar is.
legendary
March 09, 2015, 01:00:07 AM

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
March 08, 2015, 07:41:35 PM
Great way to be prosecuted for funding terrorism and sheds negative light on Bitcoin. Bravo.
Activity: 476
Gone......
March 08, 2015, 05:25:47 PM

March 08, 2015, 01:27:13 PM

legendary
March 08, 2015, 10:48:10 AM

I understand the point he was making (see coin desk article) but think that what he did or attempted to do does not justify it.
BTC has a mixed picture in the outside world. This only portrays it worse not to mention the effect that supporting terrorists can have!

What do you think?

What? ISIS has got a bitcoin address for tipping purposes?

This Bryce Weiner guy really deserves a slap in the face I guess, just looking at ISIS' images on the news was horrifying for me.

They've been using BTC for some time to raise funding for the terrorist activities. They've also started selling antique and historical pieces from museums that they claim 'doesn't represent Islam' and whatnot.
Basically they've been using Bitcoin for all the reasons we are against.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 08, 2015, 08:48:36 AM
Maybe he is a big fan of beheading videos.
March 08, 2015, 06:51:07 AM

What do you think?

This Bryce Weiner guy really deserves a slap in the face I guess, just looking at ISIS' images on the news was horrifying for me.

If .001btc deserves a slap in the face. what does $123m get you?  The US has supported Idriss in Syria, who in essence (through his own weakness) funneled these funds directly to ISIS ( the ISIL, now IS) who were fighting on the same patch, but for their own goals. The short term goals of the US ( Regime change in Syria and Libya) have been the catalyst for the growth of these animals that are ISIS.

If you are going to be indignant about something, then be indignant about the big things. This guy did something that was stupid, but if i shines a light on how ISI came to be the force that it is now, then at least some good can come of it.
Activity: 448
March 08, 2015, 03:44:32 AM

What do you think?

Activity: 476
Gone......
March 07, 2015, 07:37:29 PM
watch that attempted $1 cost him thousands in legal fees when the US Govt decides to prosecute them on the grounds
of conspiracy aiding and abetting a terrorist organization.

We can only hope so nobody should be even joking about helping them scum bags, of course the US govt are no better but we are used to them now thats why they still hold the power
March 07, 2015, 07:36:03 PM

Same as steal $100 and you're a thief, steal $1000M and you're a banker Wink

Almost right - steal $100M  you're a banker, steal $1000M and you're a banker President of the European Central Bank/ FED  :-)  Grin  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: