Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 26. (Read 199718 times)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0
August 31, 2017, 09:40:23 PM
Let's assume the site is legit (old btce domain, posted on the forum, on the twitter account, it has the complete database ecc).
Ok to be honest I missed that they even posted it on their Twitter.

To be totally honest (and be the devil's advocate)
I have been surprise from the very beginning that the FED did not seize BTCe twitter account...
I mean twitter is in US, the feds could simply ask for the password and having it delivered in a couple of minutes.

Therefore, two options:
-everything is in FEDs hands.
-BTCE is back.

Activity: 196
Merit: 104
August 31, 2017, 09:28:27 PM
Let's assume the site is legit (old btce domain, posted on the forum, on the twitter account, it has the complete database ecc).
Ok to be honest I missed that they even posted it on their Twitter. This leans me further towards yeah they are legit. I'm getting a cloudflare at the moment right now anyway but I'm certainly less skeptical now.
Activity: 55
August 31, 2017, 09:13:42 PM
As a precaution, until I hear people claiming they can actually do something on the site aside from simply log in, I'm not going to provide my credentials yet. That said, this is quite exciting and I have more faith now than before that I'm finally going to get access to my coins soon!!!

To be honest, your precaution can work in either way.
But let's also assume that it has been somewhat compromised, as per statement by admins.

The longer you wait to change your credentials, the longer a scammer can work to obtain your account Smiley
And then... patiently waiting for withdraws to be enable again.
So, there is really no valid precaution right now.

I actually logged and changed my credentials (the site had my correct pass and my original 2fa key, along with my balance, transactions ecc).
The reason is this:
the site seems legit, a lot of proofs sustain this.
But if it is a scam, it means that all the btc-e ecosystem has been compromised.
Forum, twitter, domains, database, balances, passwords and so on...
Therefore, is not a simple scam... it means that all BTC-e belongs to some entity (FBI or someone else).
Therefore our coins are gone.

But if this is the case, there was no point to put the site up again.
we do not own the private keys for the wallets. There is no reasons to steal our credentials, when you have the entire BTC-e already in your hands.

Smiley

Logging and changing the password was the more conservative choice.

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016
August 31, 2017, 09:12:29 PM
I just logged in, the balance was exactly how I left it when the site went down, I had a screen shot of the old site just in case as proof to compare.
BCH has been credited as promised.
Trade/Deposits/Withdrawals are all disabled.
The login forces you to set a new password.
The Troll Box is working Smiley

So far looking good.

Yah. I am very delighted despite all these, they fight to come back and even never forget user about their bch. I am still very impressed for what they did and never go the mtgox way. They could have done that and ran away with money. Can see that they are proud of their product and i do see long term stability in this exchange.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
August 31, 2017, 09:02:46 PM
That leads us to ask, how would they have obtained a complete, up-to-date decrypted database for their customers?
I don't know how their back-end is written but my assumption is user logins never actually decrypt the password and check, they encrypt the user login attempt and compare with the encrypted stored value. If someone had obtained a copy of the site/db with the salt + public key, in theory users could log in and successful attempts could have their unencrypted passwords logged. Not saying it's the case but it is absolutely possible.

As a precaution, until I hear people claiming they can actually do something on the site aside from simply log in, I'm not going to provide my credentials yet. That said, this is quite exciting and I have more faith now than before that I'm finally going to get access to my coins soon!!!

Watching this thread closely now Smiley

Ding ding ding.. We have a winner..   Wink
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
August 31, 2017, 08:46:09 PM
That leads us to ask, how would they have obtained a complete, up-to-date decrypted database for their customers?
I don't know how their back-end is written but my assumption is user logins never actually decrypt the password and check, they encrypt the user login attempt and compare with the encrypted stored value. If someone had obtained a copy of the site/db with the salt + public key, in theory users could log in and successful attempts could have their unencrypted passwords logged. Not saying it's the case but it is absolutely possible.

Watching this thread closely now Smiley
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
August 31, 2017, 08:13:33 PM
Nobody is worried that this is just a complete snapshot of the 'old' BTC-E with the chatbox and the database before it went down and nothing else (considering the trading backend/withdrawal system is not active).
What if it's just exactly as I mentioned in the first sentence and everyone logging in is actually giving their complete login info to people that want to have full access to your BTC in those accounts?

This theory has already been debunked. Try logging in with an incorrect password: you will not gain access. Log in with the correct credentials and you can gain access. In other words, if this is a honeypot or a phishing attack, whoever is operating it already has all of our credentials.

It's on the old .nz domain which was always used by Russian customers of the exchange. I think the only way that this is not the real admins bringing up the site is if it's a honeypot run by the US authorities.

Don't try to argue with him. He is really stupid and if you check his history he was spreading FUD. The nz website had all the data of btc-e, but this means jack shit. If you want the users bitcoins you need the cold storage private key, not users passwords.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
August 31, 2017, 07:59:33 PM
Nobody is worried that this is just a complete snapshot of the 'old' BTC-E with the chatbox and the database before it went down and nothing else (considering the trading backend/withdrawal system is not active).
What if it's just exactly as I mentioned in the first sentence and everyone logging in is actually giving their complete login info to people that want to have full access to your BTC in those accounts?

This theory has already been debunked. Try logging in with an incorrect password: you will not gain access. Log in with the correct credentials and you can gain access. In other words, if this is a honeypot or a phishing attack, whoever is operating it already has all of our credentials.

It's on the old .nz domain which was always used by Russian customers of the exchange. I think the only way that this is not the real admins bringing up the site is if it's a honeypot run by the US authorities.

legendary
Go Big or Go Home.....
August 31, 2017, 07:56:12 PM

I think what you're saying is possible, but not very likely.

For all our sake (And the people running BTC-E), I hope so.
legendary
Go Big or Go Home.....
August 31, 2017, 07:55:30 PM

Let me guess. You have a double digit IQ, right?

Sorry, not everybody has 0.05BTC 'lost' by the BTC-E debacle like you.. Some people are a little more vested and have more to lose, as well as have actually more brains than you obviously have. But I guess you've never heard about Bitcoin scams and trust everything you see and hear online and on the forums impeccably.. Right?

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
August 31, 2017, 07:45:59 PM

I think what you're saying is possible, but not very likely.
August 31, 2017, 07:45:03 PM

Let me guess. You have a double digit IQ, right?
legendary
Go Big or Go Home.....
August 31, 2017, 07:01:55 PM
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
August 31, 2017, 06:49:26 PM
I have 100 percent of my crypto showing...  I suppose the conversion to 45 percent tokens will happen later?

Yes. I had 1 BTC in my account, and it's showing up as that -- the haircut will kick in at a later point. I also noticed that I got credited 1 BCH, which I am very happy with. I have absolutely no use for something like BCH, and for that reason I will convert it to BTC whenever I am allowed to do so. From this point there isn't anything that we can do other than waiting patiently till they start allowing trading and withdrawals. I am extremely happy with how things have been. In my case it's 'just' 1 BTC, but there are people here having hundreds of thousands worth of funds stuck. It's pathetic that trolls like mayax were making fun of people here....
Activity: 697
Merit: 520
August 31, 2017, 06:40:45 PM
I have 100 percent of my crypto showing...  I suppose the conversion to 45 percent tokens will happen later?

Yes. My understanding is that no trading or withdrawals will take place through the .nz domain. This site is to confirm that users have access to their accounts and can see that their original balances are intact.

According to their latest posts, the new domain (where trading and withdrawals will take place) will be announced in the future as early as next week and as late as the 15th. Presumably when you log into your account on the new domain, the 45% haircut will be reflected in your balance.
Activity: 216
August 31, 2017, 06:08:29 PM
August 31, 2017, 05:26:07 PM
Are you in the same situation??

Hello

I want to restore my account but i havn't received any email, can you help me??

regards

their email server is clogged. Don't freak out try tomorrow.

yes and then it worked. so try later.
Activity: 952
Merit: 137
August 31, 2017, 05:21:25 PM
yes, i had 2fa activated and needed it to gain access again, after that i disabled it and generated a new one, but it would not work Oo.

it took me 2 new generate of the code until it was checked by google auth. so, if someone else has problems, just try it several times Smiley and dont give up Smiley
Activity: 11
August 31, 2017, 05:17:59 PM
Are you in the same situation??

Hello

regards

August 31, 2017, 05:01:01 PM
Hello

regards

Pages:
Jump to: