Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 29. (Read 199718 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
August 31, 2017, 09:10:16 AM
Do we have to withdraw the 55% or can we keep trading in the new exchange?

You do not have to withdraw the 55 percent.  You can keep trading on the new exchange.

Thank you.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
August 31, 2017, 08:13:21 AM
same here, no scam email acc from 2013

I haven't got such an email either, and my account is from 2013 as well. I am more inclined to think that these phising mails are being sent to the email addresses from the old database leak of this forum from a few years ago, or they registered at whatever cheap ass faucet site that has got its database hacked/comprimised. I always use a different email address when it comes to the exchanges I registered at. People are just reckless when it comes to their overall security, and that gets perfectly demonstrated when it comes to them receiving phising mails. Bank account -> seperate email. Exchange 1 -> seperate email. Exchange 2 -> seperate email. This forum -> seperate email, etc - that's how it should be done.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
August 31, 2017, 06:59:45 AM

You do not have to withdraw the 55 percent.  You can keep trading on the new exchange.
Activity: 4
August 31, 2017, 05:42:31 AM
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
August 31, 2017, 04:43:00 AM
my account is too from 2013 and i did not get that scam mail.

i am so happy that btce is back Smiley

same here, no scam email acc from 2013
Activity: 952
Merit: 137
August 31, 2017, 04:13:22 AM
my account is too from 2013 and i did not get that scam mail.

i am so happy that btce is back Smiley
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
August 31, 2017, 04:11:54 AM
My acc is from 2013 and I have not received such e-mails. Must be an old leak, but newer than 2013.
Activity: 697
Merit: 520
August 31, 2017, 03:26:27 AM
Someone got hold of the BTC-e user email database.

At the moment 55% of funds are available, 45% of funds will be converted into tokens, which we will redeem from you. Tokens can be bought and sold on our stock exchange. On September 14 we will start making money transfers to your wallets. Before September 5, you must fill out a form that you can download from the attachement, and send it to [email protected]
Passphrase: btc-e

Both my email addresses that  I used for btc-e verification got that same email in the past 24hrs. it contained a suspicious .zip enclosure which I didn't bother to open.

I'm not sure that there was a database compromise (at least recently). My last BTC-E account was created in August 2016. I've never used its email address anywhere else, for anything. I haven't received an email to that address since I last made a withdrawal in July. Checked my spam folder. Nothing.

There's definitely some scammy phishing emails going around. But if the leak was from their database, it's probably pretty old. Maybe from the leak that was publicized years ago.

Where else have you used those email addresses?
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 31, 2017, 02:44:20 AM
Someone got hold of the BTC-e user email database.

At the moment 55% of funds are available, 45% of funds will be converted into tokens, which we will redeem from you. Tokens can be bought and sold on our stock exchange. On September 14 we will start making money transfers to your wallets. Before September 5, you must fill out a form that you can download from the attachement, and send it to [email protected]
Passphrase: btc-e

Both my email addresses that  I used for btc-e verification got that same email in the past 24hrs. it contained a suspicious .zip enclosure which I didn't bother to open.

Merit: 508
August 31, 2017, 02:40:25 AM
I am almost sure BTC-E owners just think to compensate their loss . their target is sell alot of worthless tokens to members and make money .

its same thing i experience personally with UINVEST site in 2014 . after liberty reserve gone they didnt close site and continued and they invented a currency that named UPAY . They claimed UPAY WILL BE A great currency in the nearst future but all who buy this shit currency just got big loss and Finally they hidden for always . just remained Hundreds of thousands losers  .

you guys if they relunch just withdraw all your coins and never use them another time .

You obviously didn't bother to read their announcements. The tokens are IOUs that will eventually be redeemed, hardly worthless.

Bitfinex did a similar thing with their BFX tokens which were finally all redeemed in April this year.

I think there are arguments to be made for both sides. On one hand, this is clearly still the wild west. Compare to Pokerstars/Full Tilt: their bank accounts were seized and they were immediately brought to heel. No such case here. It's not even clear whether the feds will be able to seize the money that is currently frozen by Mayzus Financial and associated companies. And yes, there is Bitfinex, who is clearly the inspiration for this token scheme.

On the other hand, this is much more serious than a hack. They were indicted by the feds. Trying to run an exchange under these circumstances? I believe there was mention of a 1-2 year timeframe to redeem all tokens (I could be mistaken and I definitely can't find the post now). The question then becomes, can they last longer than that, facing the long dick of the US law?
erk
August 31, 2017, 01:45:16 AM
I am almost sure BTC-E owners just think to compensate their loss . their target is sell alot of worthless tokens to members and make money .

its same thing i experience personally with UINVEST site in 2014 . after liberty reserve gone they didnt close site and continued and they invented a currency that named UPAY . They claimed UPAY WILL BE A great currency in the nearst future but all who buy this shit currency just got big loss and Finally they hidden for always . just remained Hundreds of thousands losers  .

you guys if they relunch just withdraw all your coins and never use them another time .

You obviously didn't bother to read their announcements. The tokens are IOUs that will eventually be redeemed, hardly worthless.

Bitfinex did a similar thing with their BFX tokens which were finally all redeemed in April this year.

Activity: 560
Merit: 255
August 31, 2017, 01:23:56 AM

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
August 30, 2017, 06:07:28 PM
The tokens are just IOUs, they will trade on the exchange and no doubt some people will dump them to get whatever coins they can fast, spoiling the price for everyone else of course. I will hold onto my tokens until they redeem an appropriate price.

With Bitfinex last year, I made the mistake of dumping my tokens early on so I could exit the exchange. I don't think it was necessarily a bad decision in hindsight, because nobody knew how viable the exchange was. At that time, I preferred to take my chances profiting from trading on other exchanges, rather than gambling on Bitfinex's survival.

This time around, I think I would withdraw the crypto that I could, and keep the tokens to trade them on the token markets. Maybe they'd be redeemed in the future, and maybe I'll grind out some profits in the meantime.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
August 30, 2017, 05:58:39 PM
It's a scam email, fishing for info etc, don't have anything to do with it.

It's just a re-post of their official announcement btc-e made on these forums a few hours ago.

What's the problem? (Other than that it suggests more delays before the exchange is active again)

"goodgroove.pl?" that looks legitimate to you? btc-e has told us that information will be published through their forum account and twitter. they mentioned nothing about this email or its instructions, and they warned against such phishing scams. it's pretty obviously a scam.

really hate their approach to give announcement in russian like they don't give a shit about rest of the world
https://twitter.com/btcecom/status/902932502481846273
Gee, could that be because there is like 10 times the discussion on the Russian forum than there is here?
They are posting where the majority read.

yup, the russian threads are 10x more active. maybe more. btc-e said 70% of its user base is russian-speaking, and they want feedback on their proposed solutions.

What I don't understand is the 45% Token they are offering. I was all in ETH. Does that mean that if 45% of my ETH is worth $10k at current market rates, they are going to give me $10k in their token to spend on ETH or BTC or whatever? So I can just buy ETH again and be back where I was when they crashed? I would hope so...

nothing is official yet. they are still deciding how to deal with balance recalculation. it sounds like what will likely happen is you will get 55% of your ETH back, and 45% back as an ETH-denominated token (which will supposedly be repaid in ETH). this doesn't seem like the best idea, since it breaks all the token liquidity into different markets. maybe they are hoping that token/BTC markets will develop just like altcoin/BTC markets.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
August 30, 2017, 05:21:52 PM
no doubt some people will dump them to get whatever coins they can fast, spoiling the price for everyone else of course. I will hold onto my tokens until they redeem an appropriate price.
People dumping their tokens is quite understandable since they want to get their funds back as soon as possible. I however doubt that people will dump the market significantly lower than its main 1:1 value.

If the market gets dumped down significantly at start, it will surely result in whales buying everything up, and from there pump that market to more appropriate levels.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with how things are progressing. We shouldn't forget that it wouldn't take any effort for BTC-E to completely disappear with people's funds. That's why I respect what they do now.

Another thing we must not forget, is that if the government managed to seize everything, the chances for people to see anything back would be very close to 0%.
erk
August 30, 2017, 05:11:14 PM
What I don't understand is the 45% Token they are offering. I was all in ETH. Does that mean that if 45% of my ETH is worth $10k at current market rates, they are going to give me $10k in their token to spend on ETH or BTC or whatever? So I can just buy ETH again and be back where I was when they crashed? I would hope so...
The tokens are just IOUs, they will trade on the exchange and no doubt some people will dump them to get whatever coins they can fast, spoiling the price for everyone else of course. I will hold onto my tokens until they redeem an appropriate price.
Activity: 10
August 30, 2017, 05:00:24 PM
erk
August 30, 2017, 04:36:47 PM
It's a scam email, fishing for info etc, don't have anything to do with it.

It's just a re-post of their official announcement btc-e made on these forums a few hours ago.

What's the problem? (Other than that it suggests more delays before the exchange is active again)

really hate their approach to give announcement in russian like they don't give a shit about rest of the world
Gee, could that be because there is like 10 times the discussion on the Russian forum than there is here?
They are posting where the majority read.

Merit: 508
August 30, 2017, 04:24:25 PM

Yeah, it's annoying. They said they would release an English FAQ at least, but I haven't seen it. According to them, only ~30% of their customer base was foreign (non-Russian/CIS). I guess that means even less than 30% are English-speaking (at least as their native language). I always felt that their support desk's English responses were just Google translated from Russian, so again, this is expected to some extent.

Still no final decision on balance calculations. I hope they at least use some average for conversion that takes into account prices on the date of closure. And I really hope they don't try to bring back fiat markets. Unfortunately, they had a lot of customers that used them strictly for fiat money transfer (mostly with BTC-e codes), that have been pressuring them for fiat services.
Pages:
Jump to: