Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex - page 19. (Read 167444 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
March 05, 2014, 12:56:54 AM
Where do you think the money comes from here? Hes not spontaneously generating money that goes out to all of us. The users pay a fee for access to a system that we presumably like. If we want that system to continue operating, we will likely have to pay a greater fee for a short term. Dont shoot yourself in the foot just to unload your gun.

The presumption should always be that you don't invest what you can't afford to lose. That way if things go horribly wrong, as in Mt Gox, you won't go to the poor house because of that risk. At the same time its ridiculous to assume that he would put himself in a worse position then that. The best he can be expected to do is chart a course where the site can continue to operate and avoid future errors to the extent possible. The most frequent option is to just give up and give people back a percentage, as suggested. Its the most frequent because its the easiest. ..it also is the least productive for everyone involved, leaving the only winner in this to be the hacker. ..thats what should not happen.

Raising the fees to 1.5% would mean that the users would be paying for this mistake. It doesn't make sense - take 12% of balances and then get the users to pay for it with higher fees. If fees went up many would go elsewhere, leaving the rest of us to pay even more. The users should not pay for this.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
March 05, 2014, 12:51:47 AM
Raising the fees to 1.5% would mean that the users would be paying for this mistake. It doesn't make sense - take 12% of balances and then get the users to pay for it with higher fees. If fees went up many would go elsewhere, leaving the rest of us to pay even more. The users should not pay for this.

Post #23 finally figures it out. Amazing!

Panic post, I think. He eventually went with not raising fees, and had a poll about shares being given out. Not sure where that went, yet, or if it even has.
March 05, 2014, 12:49:30 AM
Yeah because all the other exchanges are running perfect code.

If you're such the stud programmer and know all the trix offer to fix it for him, or PM him references to someone reputable that would do it for a modest fee. ..but no, both your answers have to be the most negative option possible.

He has a plan for recovery, and to continue on. He should do just that. His honesty in the face of a big crime is refreshing in the age of implausible deniability.

busoni, you need to shut down Poloniex now and try to make your users whole from your own funds and debt. Do not continue trying to run an exchange. Your post mortem indicates that you do not have sufficient programming ability to handle other peoples money - no mention was even made of database transactions, which are a basic "database programming 101" topic. Your proposed fix of checking for negative balances is wrong and indicates that your code is almost certainly riddled with other exploitable bugs.

Please do the right thing and refund everyones outstanding balances, then wind up your operation.

I agree with Mike. Attempting to patch this issue with something called a "negative balance watcher" is a huge red flag.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
March 05, 2014, 12:44:36 AM

Post #23 finally figures it out. Amazing!
March 05, 2014, 12:43:30 AM
Good plan. Thank you for your honesty. Now follow through and make sure it gets done. There will always be naysayers, and the greedy that want to make sure and complain so they get paid even if no one else does. Stay strong in your plan, and pay out everyone, even when it takes longer. You'll gain far more positive reputation from the general population of users then you will lose it from the greedy.

..also be careful if you are tempted by the shares idea. Offering shares in a company can lead to intense scrutiny by regulators and tax authorities. ..even more then there already is for just exchanging money.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
March 05, 2014, 12:40:14 AM
Surely, the rest of this thread isn't the same as the first 20 posts I've read, is it? I can't believe what I'm reading!
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
March 05, 2014, 12:35:14 AM
THANKS FOR BEEN HONEST!

Could you post the bitcoin address of the guy who took the funds so we can trace the money, thanks.
Activity: 84
March 05, 2014, 12:32:01 AM
go for LTC markets guys.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
March 05, 2014, 12:28:08 AM
Thanks for your honesty and transparency i am going to stay with you no problems...
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
March 05, 2014, 12:03:42 AM
Activity: 531
Merit: 500
AMD | Mining | NVIDIA
March 04, 2014, 11:58:59 PM
I lost 0.8 BTC  Angry
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
March 04, 2014, 11:54:07 PM
i lost 0.00268611 btc
Activity: 131
March 04, 2014, 11:24:44 PM
that's all

my withdarw befor stolen about 12 hours ago , and now I lost 0.13btc,

can we accept it ??
Activity: 35
March 04, 2014, 11:16:50 PM
now the desposite or withdraw is OK Huh

I desposite the USDE COIN about half an hour ago,

the COIN show not in, Pls check!

thanks!
March 04, 2014, 11:13:04 PM

please master answer me , why my withdarw faild about 12 hours ago
March 04, 2014, 11:06:36 PM
I cant accept yours word

why

please look;

yestoday, I with draw my btc to my wallet

from Poloniex ([email protected])
2014/3/4
to:co****@live.com
Poloniex 's image
A request to withdraw 1.00000001 BTC from your Poloniex account to address 1Q3szoF3KPhd9Wkftgk******** was just made. To confirm the withdrawal, please click the following link: https://www.poloniex.com/confirmWithdrawal.php?h=?a*********

you said Stolen happend today, right? but yestoday, about 22:00,its will confirmed about 30 mints right? but not !!

can your told us , why/
Activity: 19
March 04, 2014, 10:53:04 PM
Markets unfrozen yet? What's the status of poleoniex?

They took 12% of our bitcoin ($300) for me, and told us everything is alright now, so just continue on about our business.

No, that's not what he said. He said he'd repay it. That makes it a loan.

All these people who never made a mistake and also never checked to see if these "obvious" flaws they now crow about existed might make that take a while though. As has already been mentioned, losing 12% is not unusual in trading, not to mention crypto trading, but spreading unfounded negativity to ensure you lose more is plain illogical. No good comes of that for anyone.

If you trust the admin, that's your decision. If you don't and get out, you've no dog in the fight so maybe leave it to those who have to win or lose based on their own gut feelings or research?

Your retarded. Losing 12% is not unusual in trading does not justify shit. Taking peoples money is NOT ok. Poloniex took money from me, this is my dog in the fight. "so maybe leave it to those who have to win or lose based on their own gut feelings or research? " I dont even know what to say about this stupid shit.
March 04, 2014, 10:41:03 PM
and then ,what can we do
yestoday, I withdraw my btc tolte 1, but its not transfer, and now ,my account is 0.87,
but I need withdraw to my wallet, now can I do withdraw ?
please master told me, tks
Activity: 32
March 04, 2014, 10:30:52 PM
thx for starting the refund. i really thaught everything would be gone Smiley will continue trading now here (with a smaller budget though)
Activity: 56
March 04, 2014, 10:29:58 PM
Pages:
Jump to: