Pages:
Author

Topic: btt - page 62. (Read 407332 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
July 24, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
You guys really think the purchaser of the minirig is doing all this dumping? Burnside is currently having a conversation about blocking US investors from btct.co and litecoin global, which would include me. I suspect that has a bit more to do with it.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026
July 24, 2013, 02:56:14 PM
Dear dumper, if you look at the books: there is some depth again.. please proceed. Smiley
Activity: 1008
Merit: 537
July 24, 2013, 02:18:06 PM
Not until the minirig owner finishes unloading his shares, I'm waiting at least another week or two

I think you're right.
Activity: 429
July 24, 2013, 02:06:46 PM
There was just a sale at .46  Shocked

oh. I didn't see the last page

I hope it bounces back, even with the dividends, anything under 5 isn't worth it to me Sad
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 24, 2013, 01:51:54 PM
Just bought @ 0.46, worth it ? xD

Not until the minirig owner finishes unloading his shares, I'm waiting at least another week or two
July 24, 2013, 12:54:52 PM
Just bought @ 0.46, worth it ? xD
July 24, 2013, 12:13:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

While I find Avalons to be the easiest to work with, I'm reluctant to put new funds into products that have significantly lower efficiency than the current state of the art. 
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
Dream become broken often
July 23, 2013, 05:11:50 PM
i like icebreaker Cheesy and i also like pps for the peace of mind...i started off mining in dec 23rd of last year on slush's pool...didn't really do any math but i was happy with the btc rolling in...then all the bad stuff happening to slush's pool i was forced to look at other pools and i picked btcguild for the pps...didn't like the 7% fee but oh well...now i look back at how much i might have lost due to variance on slush and wish i read n found pps to start with...but not like it matters anymore with the skyrocketing diff. rate...

I trust eric to run BM and i think he is doing a great job...and i'm happy i took all my btc n bought in when i did cause i have doubled my btc thanks to AM n BM...hoping to triple when AMC golden boat arrives but if that doesn't happen oh well i lost 1btc big deal...not happy i had to use 1 bm share to purchase amc shares but what can ya do...i didn't wanna miss the last of the .0025 share price on btc tc...

I'm holding everything long unless i feel i can sell some and get my original purchase coins back and then everything else will be free money to play with...I'm still hoping btc takes off and goes to the moon n then we all rich Cheesy hoping n praying for that everyday...I'm still feeling great about all this...where else can you turn 1k into 8k in six months without having to do much work? plus it was fun mining n putting computers together.

Maybe BM should find some of those avalon chips n make some DIY avalons that everyone else is doing....we may have 1k btc to buy with...but that 1k isn't doing anything just sitting there...but that is upto him to decide and i'm loving my divy payments everyday from bm Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
July 23, 2013, 02:50:47 PM
he is GAMBLING WITH HIS INVESTORS' MONEY.

Bitcoin mining in general is a gambling, by its nature, as it is probabilistic.

If you're a sissy pools might hide it behind PPS - fee, but mathematically it's always possible that pool will become bankrupt and won't pay.

You can only reshape distribution, you CANNOT eliminate probabilistic nature of payouts.

And for a Bitcoin mining company it makes sense to embrace the nature of Bitcoin mining than to try to hide behind artificial constructs aimed to reduce variance simply because it makes some people nervous.

Nobody cares about what's "always possible."  It's "always possible" that the false vacuum will collapse and the universe will implode at the speed of light.

So let's limit our discussion to what's likely, and exclude extremely remote outliers only brought up as a poor proof that 'well, anything is possible, so everything is moot.'

This isn't about how brave you are for avoiding PPS.  Eating variance doesn't make you a real man, or less of a sissy.  It makes you a sucker though.

In fairness to shareholders, and for the sake of asset owners' sanity, PPS is simply a better choice.

Your FUD about PPS pools going bankrupt also applies to non-PPS pools.  They can/have suffered catastrophic accidental overpayments, theft, etc.

PPS does eliminate the probabilistic nature of payouts.  That's why people pay 3%-7% for the peace of mind that comes along with it.

Yes, all investment carries an element of risk.  However, due diligence and best practices will reduce the gambling factor, so there's no reason to add it back in later.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033
July 23, 2013, 02:33:17 PM
he is GAMBLING WITH HIS INVESTORS' MONEY.

Bitcoin mining in general is a gambling, by its nature, as it is probabilistic.

If you're a sissy pools might hide it behind PPS - fee, but mathematically it's always possible that pool will become bankrupt and won't pay.

You can only reshape distribution, you CANNOT eliminate probabilistic nature of payouts.

And for a Bitcoin mining company it makes sense to embrace the nature of Bitcoin mining than to try to hide behind artificial constructs aimed to reduce variance simply because it makes some people nervous.
legendary
July 23, 2013, 02:17:11 PM
I never said gambling on non-PPS pools was against the contract, just that it was a Bad Idea for several reasons.

Instead of debating the several reasons (transparency, accountability, predictability) you instead reminded us of obvious facts not in dispute.   Roll Eyes

Speaking of Eric's undisputed, contractual "sole discretion" it should be noted that after several days of us suffering under variance he has decided to go with PPS, as I previously advised.  

Apparently he had enough of being on the losing side of the Gambler's Fallacy and stopped feeling lucky.  Tongue
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
July 23, 2013, 01:37:18 PM
@iCEBREAKER

What you call a "gamble with investors' money" is in no way a violation of the Basic-Mining contract. The mining pool and payment methods were not addressed as "require shareholders' vote".
And in the contract under "Organization and Management" it clearly states that:
"Eric Corlew is the sole operator of bASIC-MINING at this time. All decisions not
specifically requiring shareholder approval as per the above contract will be at
the sole discretion of Eric Corlew."

In addition to that, creativx owns 20% of the shares in the company, getting a daily of something like 2-2.5 bitcoins at the current time from managing the company. I do not see him sabotaging this by doing things that reduce the trust of the shareholders placed in him. It is not because he loves his shareholders but it is his own best interest to continue running this establishment.
legendary
July 23, 2013, 12:52:54 PM
As we were heading for another day of below PPS dividends(and still are btw) I've shifted our BFL gear away from bitminter and aimed it at 50BTC.com, which seems to be working fine with our minirig and singles. I don't enjoy posting shortfalls day after day and worrying about whether we'll get anywhere near our expected dividend each day is beginning to wear on me.

Cheers.

Take a step back an relax. Most of us here understand mining has variable return. The daily return is a nice thing to watch but in reality its just a distraction from the bigger picture.

Many investors choose BASIC because of its nifty, reliable daily dividends.

"Step back and relax" is not a viable option for our heroic fund owner.  He has to answer to his shareholders when divs are less than expected for days on end.

As mining gurus with vast experience, we really don't need to be lectured (again) about variance.  We get it.  We know.  We've read Meni's paper, OK?

The issue is not that we are unaware of or surprised by variance.  The issue is difficult accounting, the lack of predictability, and the 50/50 chance of below PPS returns.

When a mining security operator eschews PPS and decides to take the risk on other payout schemes, he is GAMBLING WITH HIS INVESTORS' MONEY.

It is not worth being a cheapskate and trying to save that 3% PPS fee, as I previously said and we have now seen amply demonstrated.

When you take a risk of loss equal or larger than the chance of gain it's not even a good bet.

Getting back to the "B-B-But variance will even out eventually, because PROBABILITY MATH and stuff" meme, let's just kill that stupidity dead right now, once and for all:

Description of Gambler's Fallacy

The Gambler's Fallacy is committed when a person assumes that a departure from what occurs on average or in the long term will be corrected in the short term. The form of the fallacy is as follows:

X has happened.
    X departs from what is expected to occur on average or over the long term.
    Therefore, X will come to an end soon.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/gamblers-fallacy.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
July 23, 2013, 12:34:36 PM
I say whatever makes your operation easier.  I think weekly updates are fine.
Activity: 406
July 23, 2013, 08:59:28 AM
weekly dividends are fine with me. Maybe twice a week would nice too.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
July 23, 2013, 08:39:47 AM
As we were heading for another day of below PPS dividends(and still are btw) I've shifted our BFL gear away from bitminter and aimed it at 50BTC.com, which seems to be working fine with our minirig and singles. I don't enjoy posting shortfalls day after day and worrying about whether we'll get anywhere near our expected dividend each day is beginning to wear on me.

Cheers.

Take a step back an relax. Most of us here understand mining has variable return. The daily return is a nice thing to watch but in reality its just a distraction from the bigger picture.

I for one wouldn't give a two hoots if you switched to weekly dividends if its becoming too much hassle.

Keep up the GREAT work.

+1

I enjoy the daily dividends, but if it causes extra stress and attention, then I would be happy with weekly ones. We are all aware of the "luck factor" and variance in found blocks that can occur daily.
Activity: 251
Merit: 100
Du hast
July 23, 2013, 08:11:39 AM
Just a little though..

With our actual dividend, we get 2x more dividend per bitcoin invested in basic-mining than cognitive.

That really depends on the purchased price, some have shares at BTC.35 and below, pre-split
July 23, 2013, 04:53:09 AM
Just a little though..

With our actual dividend, we get 2x more dividend per bitcoin invested in basic-mining than cognitive.
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
July 23, 2013, 02:28:06 AM

Cheers.

I for one wouldn't give a two hoots if you switched to weekly dividends if its becoming too much hassle.

Keep up the GREAT work.
July 22, 2013, 10:16:40 PM
how much cash do we have in the treasury, or whatever, for purchases? and what else can be done with the shares?

Hi stslimited. We have 1061.05BTC in reserve and this amount is growing rapidly with our hash rate. When the batch 3 arrives I'll get it settled in and look for more hardware sales that make sense now that I seem to have a handle on the power and cooling requirements. I don't understand your inquiry about the shares, can you explain?

shares as compensation

I don't intend to make a habit of requesting shareholder approval to use our shares as currency. Minirig SCs are still fairly rare out in the wild and I considered it a  great opportunity for us to expand without draining our re-investment fund.

Cheers.
Pages:
Jump to: