Pages:
Author

Topic: Can someone find out that you own bitcoin ? - page 5. (Read 787 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 10
The whole transaction history is transparent. It is stored in so-called blockhouses, where anyone can see how many bitcoins you have in your account and what operations you have performed. But to know who owns the account, it is impossible (if you do not decide to specify it).
Activity: 406
Merit: 10
i think as long as you dont tell any peoples that you have a bitcoin wallet address, they cant know if you have a bitcoin.
and if you have exchange address that required your identity to use, they can track your address.
Activity: 63
Merit: 3
Yes - it is pseudo anonymous so if you are not careful it can be revealed
Activity: 85
Merit: 0
I think it's impossible for people to know the bitcoin funds we have, and even then if we talk about it we have bitcoin
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
no bitcoin will still remain anonymous no one will know who the owner of the bitcoin is and it seems the government will never be able to control the circulation of bitcoin.
Even if we're anonymous mate, somebody will find out the coins that we have through blockchain info. The government couldn't control bitcoin but they can regulate the transfers and exchanges of digital currency to local fiat. Same as what other countries did, every application for their wallet sites has to deal with strong validation as part of their kyc requirements.
Activity: 266
Merit: 1
Yes it is very easy to find out if you own a bitcoin. Your computer might have a problem or virus and another one is that where your isp and not using some security
Activity: 104
there is no way that can be determind via blockchain technology
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Im not good at this, but its a yes for me in your choices above it opens my mind through with this we can be monitored or track in other ways.

From all the options you listed what i only knew is through gps and bitmain backdoor by using common sense it will track the location but i don't believe the identity so you can be able to know a person handling a phone and having a bitcoin from his phone wallet but not knowing his identity.

I like this thread as i am surprised and learning on some answers from the persons who knows some kind of it. Based on votes result it is a clear thing that many knows that we cant be track or known a bitcoin user by using a phone.

Some SPV clients reveal your IP as well. The most likely way Bitcoin user's identity will be tracked is through KYC exchanges. This is already happening. governments will more likely than not make it increasingly difficult to purchase Bitcoin. With this intense regulation in place, you will be forced to buy Bitcoin through KYC exchanges. The exchange then reports your purchase to the government, and the wallet address your coins where sent to. The government then registers this address as being your originating address, and they can then follow the coins and see who/where you send them to. Bitcoins public blockchain could become globally surveilled and governments could have a massive database with identities, exchanges, and services tied to millions of addresses. This is a potential Orwellian future we could live in.

1. It's true that few SPV client leak/revel IP, but that doesn't matter if you use VPN, Tor or other secure/private connection method.
2. There are alternatives for centralized/KYC exchange such as atomic swap, P2P trading or decentralized exchange.
3. You could use mixing service (and LN in future) to prevent anyone from tracking your coins.

Also, moving to privacy and fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero is an alternative.

using a SPV client is not just about revealing your IP address. it also means the node you are connecting to can associate all your addresses together. for example you may have 1 wallet with 5 different addresses in use which are not connected and you use for different purposes and one of these has your identity (e.g. used it for withdrawal from an exchanges). when you connect to that node with or without VPN/TOR it can know these 5 addresses belong to one person, and in case they log things they can build a database based on that.

Totally true, but surely you must know about Bloom Filter (BIP 37) to make such attempt more difficult to do because Bloom Filter ask full nodes for specific pattern without reveal what you're actually looking for.
But if the SPV don't use Bloom Filter or weak Bloom Filter with very specific pattern, then what you said might happen.

Even so, user could move his/her bitcoin to new HD wallet (through bitcoin mixer) which configured and used with secure connection from the beginning.
Activity: 560
Merit: 105
no bitcoin will still remain anonymous no one will know who the owner of the bitcoin is and it seems the government will never be able to control the circulation of bitcoin.
Activity: 84

I think I can not find it
Activity: 588
Merit: 250
Bitcoin should be anonymous. But there are many ways to get the data of the trader.
Our identity can be revealed if the Government requests the KYC data to the Exchanger.
And this, probably already happened if the government Want to do it.
It would be hard finding out who owns a certain address because of the complex blockchain technology but I do believe that if someone put two and two together, he might somehow find a way to know who owns specific addresses. With alliance and legal arrangement, @dimastegar is right that the KYC can be used. We are attracted to using and earning cryptos because of the anonymity it provides but I do really think that no matter how much we think that we are secured, we are still not because of the internet.
Activity: 12
I was following a thread and was amused by some of the answers. I'm interested to see how much people know.
i think it is not, except if we told that someone about we have bitcoin. even there are transaction, it will not show who is the owner of the address. even in market you will need paper from law enforcer to get info from someone's account

Your opinion is the same as mine, it is impossible for a person's identity to be recognized just that he is talking about bitcoin. although visible address on the transaction I think it will be difficult to find the identity of the owner
  For no because if you own bitcoin there is a protection or password to protect your account.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
Im not good at this, but its a yes for me in your choices above it opens my mind through with this we can be monitored or track in other ways.

From all the options you listed what i only knew is through gps and bitmain backdoor by using common sense it will track the location but i don't believe the identity so you can be able to know a person handling a phone and having a bitcoin from his phone wallet but not knowing his identity.

I like this thread as i am surprised and learning on some answers from the persons who knows some kind of it. Based on votes result it is a clear thing that many knows that we cant be track or known a bitcoin user by using a phone.

Some SPV clients reveal your IP as well. The most likely way Bitcoin user's identity will be tracked is through KYC exchanges. This is already happening. governments will more likely than not make it increasingly difficult to purchase Bitcoin. With this intense regulation in place, you will be forced to buy Bitcoin through KYC exchanges. The exchange then reports your purchase to the government, and the wallet address your coins where sent to. The government then registers this address as being your originating address, and they can then follow the coins and see who/where you send them to. Bitcoins public blockchain could become globally surveilled and governments could have a massive database with identities, exchanges, and services tied to millions of addresses. This is a potential Orwellian future we could live in.

1. It's true that few SPV client leak/revel IP, but that doesn't matter if you use VPN, Tor or other secure/private connection method.
2. There are alternatives for centralized/KYC exchange such as atomic swap, P2P trading or decentralized exchange.
3. You could use mixing service (and LN in future) to prevent anyone from tracking your coins.

Also, moving to privacy and fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero is an alternative.

using a SPV client is not just about revealing your IP address. it also means the node you are connecting to can associate all your addresses together. for example you may have 1 wallet with 5 different addresses in use which are not connected and you use for different purposes and one of these has your identity (e.g. used it for withdrawal from an exchanges). when you connect to that node with or without VPN/TOR it can know these 5 addresses belong to one person, and in case they log things they can build a database based on that.
Activity: 798
Merit: 251
Small Trader
Bitcoin should be anonymous. But there are many ways to get the data of the trader.
Our identity can be revealed if the Government requests the KYC data to the Exchanger.
And this, probably already happened if the government Want to do it.
Activity: 658
Merit: 254
For campaign management, please pm me.
I was following a thread and was amused by some of the answers. I'm interested to see how much people know.

As for me. No one knows whatbI own and that I am using bitcoin unless I told then that I am using one.

Though there are some kyc over the internet amd please be careful on who you are giving all your details. Yiu can ve tracked easily. Where you are right now. Where you signed and what you are using by that. That is why it is advided to changed address all the time.
Activity: 15
If you're worried about security check out HBUS as a marketplace to store your coins, especially Bitcoin. It's registered with FinCen and they use the same technology as Huobi, who have never been hacked so I would say it's pretty safe. They're website is hbus.com
Activity: 448
Merit: 102
no one can know that we have bitcoin, blockchain system is very confusing, because of many millions of blocks that save every transaction and investment.

so, I think other people cannot see the contents of our bitcoin wallet. and it's safer. unless it tells you that we have a bitcoin on the wallet
Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
I think it can revealed ypur identity if you are not careful, bitcoin is pseudo anonymous, its mean that all of the transaction can be tracked, but its is difficult to track, when the first time you make wallet you don't leave any identity, its only email address, but if you ever cashing out to fiat through bank, or any transaction that ever link to your identity then it can be track
Activity: 328
Merit: 2
   Bitcoin is decentralized digital currency and anonymous. no one should know your identity as long as you keep it by your self and not revealing to others. If you sign a transaction that needs to put your identity then it will no longer anonymous,they will know that you owned bitcoin. if the government control the bitcoin and the bitcoiner follow their rules there should no anonymity anymore because government will regulate the bitcoin and all the users should do kyc or something to show your identity.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 532
You are bound to get funny results because some of users does not even bother to learn what they are doing which is not a healthy situation, you cannot be really anonymous when it comes to bitcoin, unless you got hold of coins a long time back through mining and you are not moving the coins to any exchange then it is difficult to find the person behind it.
Pages:
Jump to: