Pages:
Author

Topic: Can someone find out that you own bitcoin ? - page 6. (Read 787 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
DONATION SENPAI PLEASE <3 <3
This is really an interesting question, I myself don't know if this is even possible to do so. I think there is actually a way to check if a person owns a cryptocurrency by doing an IP address and check their recent views in chrome or any other internet browsers. It is like when you view something online in amazon that you are interested but then after a few days the one that you have been looking in amazon pop-ups in facebook or youtube or any other sites. Probably something like that for them to check or there would be another way that the government can confirm it.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Im not good at this, but its a yes for me in your choices above it opens my mind through with this we can be monitored or track in other ways.

From all the options you listed what i only knew is through gps and bitmain backdoor by using common sense it will track the location but i don't believe the identity so you can be able to know a person handling a phone and having a bitcoin from his phone wallet but not knowing his identity.

I like this thread as i am surprised and learning on some answers from the persons who knows some kind of it. Based on votes result it is a clear thing that many knows that we cant be track or known a bitcoin user by using a phone.

Some SPV clients reveal your IP as well. The most likely way Bitcoin user's identity will be tracked is through KYC exchanges. This is already happening. governments will more likely than not make it increasingly difficult to purchase Bitcoin. With this intense regulation in place, you will be forced to buy Bitcoin through KYC exchanges. The exchange then reports your purchase to the government, and the wallet address your coins where sent to. The government then registers this address as being your originating address, and they can then follow the coins and see who/where you send them to. Bitcoins public blockchain could become globally surveilled and governments could have a massive database with identities, exchanges, and services tied to millions of addresses. This is a potential Orwellian future we could live in.

1. It's true that few SPV client leak/revel IP, but that doesn't matter if you use VPN, Tor or other secure/private connection method.
2. There are alternatives for centralized/KYC exchange such as atomic swap, P2P trading or decentralized exchange.
3. You could use mixing service (and LN in future) to prevent anyone from tracking your coins.

Also, moving to privacy and fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero is an alternative.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
I vote NO,  because when opening a blockchain wallet you don't need your name, address or country code or phone number.  It anonymous, you can buy and you easily.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 4370
🤑 Free Bets have been credited 🤑
I voted for YES-  it is pseudo anonymous so if you are not careful it can be revealed.
To no surprise, this is the most popular vote by a count of 10 to 5, with the 5 other people thinking NO- it is never antonymous.
This is a good indicator of how far Bitcoin has come, compared to the days when it was actually believed to be 100% anonymous, to now there being a better understanding that it is in fact a very traceable coin.
If you are truly looking for anonymity, some better options of coins would be Dash or Monero.

Activity: 602
Merit: 118
I was following a thread and was amused by some of the answers. I'm interested to see how much people know.

Of course they know, because before you make this question, I've socialized bitcoin to the public, about how to get it and how to sell it, but I'm not worried about all that because until now my wallet is still safe.
Activity: 420
Merit: 100
of course not the bitcoin address does not give the name of the owner so they do not know exactly who the bitcoin owner is, they only know how much content of bitcoin owned in the wallet of others but do not know who the owner is.
Activity: 293
Merit: 1
As I know since the creation of bitcoin until now, bitcoin is known as Anonymus which means it does not recognize its user identity. if the user is recognizable then not Bitcoin.
so no one can connect you with bitcoins, unless you do it yourself.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!
Im not good at this, but its a yes for me in your choices above it opens my mind through with this we can be monitored or track in other ways.

From all the options you listed what i only knew is through gps and bitmain backdoor by using common sense it will track the location but i don't believe the identity so you can be able to know a person handling a phone and having a bitcoin from his phone wallet but not knowing his identity.

I like this thread as i am surprised and learning on some answers from the persons who knows some kind of it. Based on votes result it is a clear thing that many knows that we cant be track or known a bitcoin user by using a phone.

Some SPV clients reveal your IP as well. The most likely way Bitcoin user's identity will be tracked is through KYC exchanges. This is already happening. governments will more likely than not make it increasingly difficult to purchase Bitcoin. With this intense regulation in place, you will be forced to buy Bitcoin through KYC exchanges. The exchange then reports your purchase to the government, and the wallet address your coins where sent to. The government then registers this address as being your originating address, and they can then follow the coins and see who/where you send them to. Bitcoins public blockchain could become globally surveilled and governments could have a massive database with identities, exchanges, and services tied to millions of addresses. This is a potential Orwellian future we could live in.
Kyc is another story and it was far from this options because it will be up to the person if he wants or willing to do submit KYC to access the full program in any other exchange. In public transactions it can be seen in public because of blockchain and this exchange who's not trusted may use it to leaked one's identity and put in harm.
Activity: 798
Merit: 10
I think its hard to know who owning bitcoin wallet. Its still anonymous and its untrackable. Bitcoin already known as anonymity currency and thats why many government prohibit it
Activity: 574
Merit: 296
Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1870
Metawin.com
My first answer is yes, I have the same reason as what BQ posted about the exchanges. Then again it could be also no because it depends on what you're going to do with your Bitcoins one could avoid disclosing his/her personal info by trading your coins for gift cards or buy a verified account from an exchange. This is one tricky question.  

There are many ways you can be revealed as a Bitcoin user. If you don't use ToR or similar software, your ISP knows that you visit Bitcoin resources like this forum. People leave many breadcrumbs that can reveal them even without any chain analysis, they discuss Bitcoin openly on social media or even in private messages (sites like Facebook definitely read them), same goes for real life - one can mention Bitcoin a few times with friends and suddenly everyone knows that they are a Bitcoin user.
I disagree with you, because somebody may talk about bitcoin but not use it. for example my friend, often talks about bitcoin but he is afraid to use bitcoin because the price is always changing.
bitcoin is often discussed because bitcoin is being talked about. so not necessarily what is discussed as a user
Right, the first example is true but the irl example isn't until there's a strong proof mentioned.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
I was following a thread and was amused by some of the answers. I'm interested to see how much people know.
Through doxxing someone could essentially find out exactly who you are, and if they're able to connect your Bitcointalk account to your identity then they definitely can find out what amount of Bitcoin you own, if they're connected to your account. Alternative, just seeing your address on something could be enough to tip someone off.

Of course, you already know this, but I always say this since there's still a lot of people joining the forum and a fair amount don't know as much due to inexperience.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

Activity: 414
Merit: 100
i think it is not, except if we told that someone about we have bitcoin. even there are transaction, it will not show who is the owner of the address. even in market you will need paper from law enforcer to get info from someone's account

Your opinion is the same as mine, it is impossible for a person's identity to be recognized just that he is talking about bitcoin. although visible address on the transaction I think it will be difficult to find the identity of the owner
copper member
Activity: 308
Merit: 0
Yes, your Internet Service Provider can know you own bitcoins by tracking your websites, but they can never find how much bitcoin you have unless you reveal your wallet public key.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
there is no way to know only by you using blockchain, but they might find out when you decide to exchange crypto for fiat or possibly spend crypto, that's the vulnerability.
We are all anonymous here,so as wallet address.I think you are right mate,there were exchanges that needs our complete details thats the time that our identity would be revealed.
Activity: 83
Merit: 11
Cryptocurrency that is transparent in every transaction, 
that happens to make a lot of people who know how many bitcoin you have,
by knowing the name or know the Wallet Address you have.
Activity: 1932
Merit: 504
i think it is not, except if we told that someone about we have bitcoin. even there are transaction, it will not show who is the owner of the address. even in market you will need paper from law enforcer to get info from someone's account
Activity: 476
Merit: 359
Yes, someone can. I believe that others already mention you the cases on how people can find out about you and your relation with bitcoin.

I just want to add that, I guess it is hard to keep your privacy in this time, especially if you access internet. I believe once you enter your information in any website, either it is trusted website or not, the data can be achieved by someone or something.
Activity: 966
Merit: 311
Securing your own crypto's is your personal job and if you don't want all the peoples to know that you earn a large sum of bitcoin just keep all the transactions and wallets hidden and use IP and VPN services which will protect you from getting tracked. If a person shares his transaction than all his other transactions can be tracked very easily. So, it up to you if you want to keep it anonymous you just need to take some measure and your balance will be hidden from everyone.
Pages:
Jump to: