Pages:
Author

Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic) - page 3. (Read 130271 times)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250
100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001
Quote from: joecooin
Btw: have you noticed that there is a typo on the coins? The smaller, repeated lettering on the hologram is missing the second 's' and says 'casacius'

Yes I am aware of the typo on the holograms.  Didn't see it until it was too late.  Another batch of holograms is in production with this fixed (and other improvements).

Waaaat? You mean all coins purchased before now are the "rare 2011 casascius with typo" and sell for a much higher price at some point in the future? Nice! Wink How many (will) have the typo?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casascius-ANACS-ERROR-MS-65-2011-bit-coin-physical-loaded-Lealana-titan-/291263053896

Smiley

edit:

oh wow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BTC-CASASCIUS-2011-Series-2-Physical-Bit-Coin-RAREST-FIRST-YEAR-ISSUE-/291316236556

Nice call way back when molecular.  

Market has been slow for Casascius (including Casacius), as BTC has cooled off...2011 S1 have been selling in the 3-7BTC range depending on grade.  2011 S2 are more likely worth around 2BTC.  Fiat asking price is not necessarily indicative of market value...as you can see by this 2012 Casascius comparison...

Asking ~$3000: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BTC-2012-Casascius-Bitcoin-Series-2-Fully-Loaded-Rare-Physical-Currency-Look-/390982115728?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL&hash=item5b0859a190

Comparable actual sale price $416: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111481977895?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Activity: 359
Quote from: joecooin
Btw: have you noticed that there is a typo on the coins? The smaller, repeated lettering on the hologram is missing the second 's' and says 'casacius'

Yes I am aware of the typo on the holograms.  Didn't see it until it was too late.  Another batch of holograms is in production with this fixed (and other improvements).

Waaaat? You mean all coins purchased before now are the "rare 2011 casascius with typo" and sell for a much higher price at some point in the future? Nice! Wink How many (will) have the typo?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casascius-ANACS-ERROR-MS-65-2011-bit-coin-physical-loaded-Lealana-titan-/291263053896

Smiley

edit:

oh wow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BTC-CASASCIUS-2011-Series-2-Physical-Bit-Coin-RAREST-FIRST-YEAR-ISSUE-/291316236556

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
Thanks for your replies.

We need more people like you.  That ask questions, learn, and get involved in the Cas space.  Really helps the market mature.  I think they are the best long term investment one can make. Appreciates as a collectible and in BTC value.

Activity: 539
Merit: 517
Thanks for your replies.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
It's also worth noting that the numismatic community widely considers ANACS to be a second-rate company, mostly because they're overly generous with their gradings (an ANACS MS68 might be a PCGS MS66-67). The first-rate grading services won't touch physical Bitcoins, as far as I know.

It's also worth noting that many different types of grading slabs have been counterfeited in the past. The careful purchaser examines the slab closely. The careful buyer also carefully examines the coin and determines their own grade instead of relying on the grade printed on the slab.

REMEMBER: Buy the coin, not the slab.

I wouldn't say they are considered second-rate, but they are definitely not the most popular with the numismatic community, but as nubbins stated, they are the only "Big Three" grading company that will grade physical crypto-coins. 

They are the oldest grading service company in the US and was created in the 1970s to help the coin industry overcome the growing coin counterfeit and altered coins in the market.  It is true that slabs themselves are now being counterfeited, but most of the counterfeit slabs I have seen are from the "1st-rate" companies because of their popularity (PCGS and NGC)  Wink

Activity: 784
Merit: 501
I see people selling Casascius coins and I see a lot of "MS64", "MS65", "MS66" ...
What does it mean ?

"MS" stands for Mint State.  The 1-70 scale is called the Sheldon Scale and it was established to provide a empirical number rating for the condition of a collectible numismatic coin.  It is a numismatic standard and is not only used by ANACS, although some grading companies differ slightly in how the may evaluate a coin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_coin_grading_scale

When buying a coin graded by an trusted independent grading company (ANACS, PCGS, NGC), you can be confident that the coin is genuine (not a Chinese fake) and in the condition listed on the slab.  Sometimes is can be difficult to gauge the condition of a coin via digital pictures that can be altered.  Currently, of the 3 major grading companies, only ANACS will grade the Casascius and other crypto-currency coins.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009
It's also worth noting that the numismatic community widely considers ANACS to be a second-rate company, mostly because they're overly generous with their gradings (an ANACS MS68 might be a PCGS MS66-67). The first-rate grading services won't touch physical Bitcoins, as far as I know.

It's also worth noting that many different types of grading slabs have been counterfeited in the past. The careful purchaser examines the slab closely. The careful buyer also carefully examines the coin and determines their own grade instead of relying on the grade printed on the slab.

REMEMBER: Buy the coin, not the slab.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/qt/coin_grading101.htm

This explains each grade level...to date the highest a Casascius has received is MS-67. Other physicals have scored higher.. Titan and Lealana have both hit MS68
Activity: 639
Merit: 504
I see people selling Casascius coins and I see a lot of "MS64", "MS65", "MS66" ...
What does it mean ?

It means that coin is graded.
Depends on number (higher=better) its from 1-70 and 70 means that coin is in a essentially perfect condition
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176
What does it mean ?

It is a rating given by the ANACS rating company. People send their Casascius coins to them, they check the quality of the coins and whether there are any defects. After that they assign the grading numbers (M64,M65,etc), put in in an airtight case and mail it back to you. A higher number indicates a better quality coin.
Activity: 539
Merit: 517
What does it mean ?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
we all have these stories...

Back in 2012 I was broke and paid my friend a 1 btc coin in exchange for a meal at Taco Bell. He sold it late last year for almost $800! Oh fun times Smiley

Instead of dropping candy into people's stockings for Christmas, I dropped Casascius coins. Did the trick, though - got people interested in bitcoin!

Is your friend into bitcoin now? Would he have been without the experience with the coin?
legendary
Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012
howdy
we all have these stories...

Back in 2012 I was broke and paid my friend a 1 btc coin in exchange for a meal at Taco Bell. He sold it late last year for almost $800! Oh fun times Smiley
legendary
When I first started investigating BTC (when BTC was around 12 USD, december 2012) I landed on the casascius website. I was a silver bug so no surprises there... I saw the 1oz 10 BTC coin and calculated that it had 50 USD premium (or something like that). Decided not buy one LOL. I didn't own BTC (only faucet dust) so this possible purchase could have me incentivised me to buy some actual BTC, but it didn't happen.
Then my exams came, and when I checked the price of 1 BTC again after the exams, it was >35 USD  Undecided

Still very happy I managed to buy some BTC below 100 USD. And I am happy I have a silver casascius 1 BTC now Smiley But I will never forget my strupid decision to NOT buy the 10 BTC coin...

Heh... At one point, I had "5" typed into the casascius order form for the 10BTC gold-trim coins, but then got distracted by something. Came back to it a few days later and Mike had sold out of those coins! Oh well... Also had an order for several hundred BTC at ~$1.8 in November 2011 that never filled. The amount of near-misses and screw-ups I've had with bitcoin would amount to at least a half million dollars worth today. As molecular noted, we all have these stories...
legendary
Where did these go?

Whoa... I didn't know about that variety. Any idea what the addresses for them are? Or any other info/discussion about them?
Activity: 285
Turning money into heat since 2011.
Where did these go?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
Pretty sure that only ANACS will grade them.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Anyone consider using ICG to grade these?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
what I'm interested in... Does the private key also degrade?
I never opened a casascius coin, and all the coins I own are from 2013, so I'm not panicking. BUt I can imagine the private key could become unreadable. Does anybody know how it is actually stored?

Interesting question, I would not be surprised if the code is unreadable when your great grand kids try to redeem the funds next century.
But on the other hand, maybe we will never find out - who want to redeem a year 2013 Casacius in year 2100 just for the experiment, the coin could be worth millions (not talking about bitcoin price, but as an artifact).
(On the other hands "milions" of what? - also possible that dollars will not exist at that time...)

Personally I am a great fan of the silver Casacius, because not only do they carry a bitcoin value but also the value of silver.

millions of BTC?  Grin Grin Grin

I have a silver one that I would probably never sell or redeem (unless 1 BTC is 100000 USD and they offer me 10 BTC for the coin Tongue )

I have a silver one that will always be worth 10BTC+, because 10 is it's denomination Wink. It would hurt to have to redeem it, though, and I doubt it will be necessary.

At the time I acquired it, the silver and BTC values were roughly equal, btw.

When I first started investigating BTC (when BTC was around 12 USD, december 2012) I landed on the casascius website. I was a silver bug so no surprises there... I saw the 1oz 10 BTC coin and calculated that it had 50 USD premium (or something like that). Decided not buy one LOL. I didn't own BTC (only faucet dust) so this possible purchase could have me incentivised me to buy some actual BTC, but it didn't happen.
Then my exams came, and when I checked the price of 1 BTC again after the exams, it was >35 USD  Undecided

Still very happy I managed to buy some BTC below 100 USD. And I am happy I have a silver casascius 1 BTC now Smiley But I will never forget my strupid decision to NOT buy the 10 BTC coin...

Should've been subbed to my newsletter,  Wink

Seems like yesterday. My last major buy was just over10  as i wasn't fast enough to grab the final dip to single  digits just under10.

I remember changing my bearish tune at ~$13 (got back into BTC) and did another large purchase at around ~$17.50.
Activity: 560
I asked this question before in its own thread, so I hoped one of you might know.

The ANACS website mentions that one has to submit coins in Mylar flips.  Some of my coins are in Airtite capsules, and others came in stapled cardboard squares, which I would prefer to keep in while being shipped. I would prefer ANACS open them once they receive them.

The flips seem like they could cause marks to the coin pressing against it, and the hologram could stick to the plastic flip.

Has anybody sent a coin in something other than a mylar flip to ANACS to be graded, and if so, was it accepted?

I submitted my coin at the Long Beach Coin Expo.  I had it in an airtite and the ANACS employee took it out and placed in a mylar flip.  That's just the way the do things. On the other hand, I submitted a bunch of coins for PCGS, mostly Pandas in OMP and i had to cut out the OMP but was allowed to leave them in the air-tites then place them in the mylar flips.  The truth is, if it wasn't for Casascious, ANACS would be totally useless.
Pages:
Jump to: