Pages:
Author

Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic) - page 6. (Read 130271 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
Well I am scared to sell them on eBay  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
The market on these has dropped off quite a bit price wise.  Within the last 2 weeks some of these have sold for as low as 2BTC

Cause?

Not sure  Huh

Interesting links.

One comment is that Bitcointalk.org probably isn't the most traveled site for an auction like this but it is what it is.

Probably had to do with the overall lull in the price chart.  Just not an ideal time to sell these. 😴wait until we start moving up again.
legendary
The market on these has dropped off quite a bit price wise.  Within the last 2 weeks some of these have sold for as low as 2BTC

Cause?

Not sure  Huh
legendary

Cause?
legendary
legendary
Depends on condition, and if it has been graded.  Non graded these days are going for 2.5 - 3BTC.  Recently I auctioned off a graded 2011 error (MS-65) and it fetched 3.4BTC

Why do I recall 10x prices from just a year ago?
legendary
Depends on condition, and if it has been graded.  Non graded these days are going for 2.5 - 3BTC.  Recently I auctioned off a graded 2011 error (MS-65) and it fetched 3.4BTC
legendary
What's a fair asking price nowadays for one of the original error coins 2011 in BTC?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D
I could regret not buying early but I probably would've redeemed them or something. Same goes with if I had bitcoin earlier, I would've spent more.
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
When their is a void, others work to fill it. Check out Silverwallets.com, Titan BTC, Lealana
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all
Indeed. I have some aluminium casascius coins and load them with a few mBTC for birthdays. Great gift!  Grin
I gave a friend 100 mBTC in july 2013. He is very happy with is "10$ gift" at the moment Wink

Have you found a good place to buy holograms for the blank cas-coins? (I am not talking about real casascious hologram, but "any" hologram that fits and look pretty).
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Hehe. Don't be sad, even buying some back then doesn't necessarily make you rich: I bought quite a few, but guess what: they're all gone except one. I gave them away or sold them to friends for around €7 or €14 a piece (don't remember exactly).

Totally agree, I would give mine away as well if they where not so darn expensive. The coins is perfect gift for birthdays or to introduce someone to Bit coin.

Indeed. I have some aluminium casascius coins and load them with a few mBTC for birthdays. Great gift!  Grin
I gave a friend 100 mBTC in july 2013. He is very happy with is "10$ gift" at the moment Wink
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all
Hehe. Don't be sad, even buying some back then doesn't necessarily make you rich: I bought quite a few, but guess what: they're all gone except one. I gave them away or sold them to friends for around €7 or €14 a piece (don't remember exactly).

Totally agree, I would give mine away as well if they where not so darn expensive. The coins is perfect gift for birthdays or to introduce someone to Bitcoin.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Bummer, it's a shame to see you stop producing these coins. I remember I was one of the first ones to see this very thread launch, when it was just posted in 2011 and no one had posted in it yet. The idea was still very new back then, and I regretfully didn't buy any thinking it was all a gimmick. Oh how wrong I was...

legendary
Activity: 812
Bummer, it's a shame to see you stop producing these coins. I remember I was one of the first ones to see this very thread launch, when it was just posted in 2011 and no one had posted in it yet. The idea was still very new back then, and I regretfully didn't buy any thinking it was all a gimmick. Oh how wrong I was...
legendary
Thank you for this info, much appreciated. How much did it cost you in total if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to only grade 4 coins so shouldn't cost a fortune I'm hoping.

I only valued the coins at face value or just over, so $500 a pop. This enabled me to have them graded in the discount bracket, so I think it cost ~$19 per coin so $95, plus $107.50 shipping (inc insurance). I also paid the $3 each to have photos taken of each coin, $7 each for the variety verification service, and $19 flat for the conservation service. So $199 in services plus $107.50 in shipping & insurance. You need at least 5 coins to qualify for the discount rate.

I highly recommend the conservation service if your coins have spent any time outside of capsules.

Can you fill me in on what you're talking about here?

Haven't visited this thread for over a year.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Mike do you plan on ever making these again?  Roll Eyes

Just so Mike doesn't have to go and find his post...

Reasons I'm likely to not sell more coins:

1. Don't want compliance hassle of being a money transmitter (this was a hobby project meant to promote awareness - moving money was never an objective)
2. Don't want security risk (the more valuable bitcoins get, the more professional the security must be and the more sophisticated attacks I must anticipate)
3. Don't want to make a mistake and become a bitcoin poster child (like Charlie Shrem, I feel like I'd be a high value prosecution target if I were to make some sort of legal mistake, just for my visibility alone)
4. Mission already accomplished (original mission was to help people become aware of bitcoin and to help people start conversations about it)
5. An appropriate mission nowadays would be to encourage people to store their own bitcoin safely on self-produced paper wallets instead of trusting others without recourse.  Continuing to produce other people's private keys is perverse toward that objective.
6. I feel like the more coins I sell, the more I accumulate a presumed liability in the form of people who must trust me not to scam them.  What happens if someone calls my trustworthiness into question, even without cause?  Then people might think I lied and kept the keys, and then someone might want to harm me.  Not what I signed up for.
7. I don't want to be in over my head.  Look at Mark Karpeles, his life is probably now ruined.  He could and should have quit while he was ahead.
8. It's honestly fun to see my past coins skyrocket in value.  That was never anticipated in the beginning, but I will be honest, I enjoy seeing them fetch ever higher prices on the secondary market.

Thank you for this.. I was just being hopeful Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 501

Just so Mike doesn't have to go and find his post...

Reasons I'm likely to not sell more coins:

1. Don't want compliance hassle of being a money transmitter (this was a hobby project meant to promote awareness - moving money was never an objective)
2. Don't want security risk (the more valuable bitcoins get, the more professional the security must be and the more sophisticated attacks I must anticipate)
3. Don't want to make a mistake and become a bitcoin poster child (like Charlie Shrem, I feel like I'd be a high value prosecution target if I were to make some sort of legal mistake, just for my visibility alone)
4. Mission already accomplished (original mission was to help people become aware of bitcoin and to help people start conversations about it)
5. An appropriate mission nowadays would be to encourage people to store their own bitcoin safely on self-produced paper wallets instead of trusting others without recourse.  Continuing to produce other people's private keys is perverse toward that objective.
6. I feel like the more coins I sell, the more I accumulate a presumed liability in the form of people who must trust me not to scam them.  What happens if someone calls my trustworthiness into question, even without cause?  Then people might think I lied and kept the keys, and then someone might want to harm me.  Not what I signed up for.
7. I don't want to be in over my head.  Look at Mark Karpeles, his life is probably now ruined.  He could and should have quit while he was ahead.
8. It's honestly fun to see my past coins skyrocket in value.  That was never anticipated in the beginning, but I will be honest, I enjoy seeing them fetch ever higher prices on the secondary market.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Pages:
Jump to: