Author

Topic: Claymore's Dual Ethereum AMD+NVIDIA GPU Miner v15.0 (Windows/Linux) - page 1304. (Read 6590565 times)

Activity: 799
Merit: 1000

So right way would be,
secondary: power all cards that it can handle only thru pcie power connectors and nothing more.
primary: everything else, mb, drives, all risers, leftover cards power.

This is not up to the topic, but I'm curious with it. My point of view is to power any card from the one source only. So, if I use USB risers, the card is not connected to the motherboard in terms of 12V power. Then, why to mix the power sources? I power 3 cards by the secondary PSU (both PCI-E and SATA/Molex) and 3 cards by the primary one. The primary PSU also powers the motherboard (both, CPU jack and additional Molex jack) and HDD. Am I doing wrong? Why?

Im not sure about usb risers but those powered ribbon extensions connect +12V directly to mb and straight to primary psu. So thats the connection shorting two psu-s and if voltages differ there's unwanted current that does nothing but stress mb and riser and atx connection. Have some risers burned but after connecting all to primary no more problems.

I've also ran rig from 3 lo-end psu-s and this way connecting all works fine.

yes i thought of that too

but with 750w psu i cannot connect a 4th gpu

so i need to try 3x gpu + mb, sdd + all 5 usb risers on 750w
+ 3x gpu on 750w

i hope the risers dont need that much power, i should have 100w on 1st psu after mb, sdd and 3gpu, should be enough to power 5 riser

Riser can draw upto 75w each also what 750w psu do u have with 3x2 pcie connectors?? All the psu i look at 750w has max 4 pcie connections mostly only 1000w psu have 3x2 (6) pcie connectors.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
Using the dual psu connection plug i have both psu sharing a ground I think it should not matter what device i power with which psu. I know servers use multiple psu and this is the reason for such plugs to exists I highly doubt that in such setups u can only use pcie connectors for power additional components, but i am no electrician so i could be totally wrong on this, but i would like to know if i have my rig setup incorrectly googling around and i do not find a definitive answer to this subject.

server PSUs are NOT setup like what we are talking about here. they have special load balance/failover circuitry.

you CAN fry stuff with multi consumer PSU setups.

but... suit yourself
Activity: 546
Merit: 254
ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

So right way would be,
secondary: power all cards that it can handle only thru pcie power connectors and nothing more.

This is not up to the topic, but I'm curious with it. My point of view is to power any card from the one source only. So, if I use USB risers, the card is not connected to the motherboard in terms of 12V power. Then, why to mix the power sources? I power 3 cards by the secondary PSU (both PCI-E and SATA/Molex) and 3 cards by the primary one. The primary PSU also powers the motherboard (both, CPU jack and additional Molex jack) and HDD. Am I doing wrong? Why?

Im not sure about usb risers but those powered ribbon extensions connect +12V directly to mb and straight to primary psu. So thats the connection shorting two psu-s and if voltages differ there's unwanted current that does nothing but stress mb and riser and atx connection. Have some risers burned but after connecting all to primary no more problems.

yes i thought of that too

but with 750w psu i cannot connect a 4th gpu

so i need to try 3x gpu + mb, sdd + all 5 usb risers on 750w
+ 3x gpu on 750w

i hope the risers dont need that much power, i should have 100w on 1st psu after mb, sdd and 3gpu, should be enough to power 5 riser
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
The reason is that one psu will feed another thru that dumb riser.
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

So right way would be,

The USB Riser's shouldn't do that - also I don't see a reason why the powered risers should... maybe because like that they are also working when unpowered?

So right way would be,

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
@Claymore I'm running two GPU's in crossfire because I play games sometimes, and I'm only getting gpu0 temperature readout. Not gpu0 and gpu1 temps. Can you look into this?

Disable crossfire, that's the only solution, ADL reports only one card when crossifre enabled.

is it only that it will show 1 card for temps if i have them on CF but it will mine with both cards?
i do play sometimes to. atm Diablo 3 and i can have miner working even when i play but not if i OC the card
Using the dual psu connection plug i have both psu sharing a ground I think it should not matter what device i power with which psu. I know servers use multiple psu and this is the reason for such plugs to exists I highly doubt that in such setups u can only use pcie connectors for power additional components, but i am no electrician so i could be totally wrong on this, but i would like to know if i have my rig setup incorrectly googling around and i do not find a definitive answer to this subject.
Activity: 742
Merit: 505
fyi, asrock h81 btc pro doesnt work with 2 psu (another problem miner argh)
Can you explain this in details, I am going to use one server PSU for cards and one PC PSU for H81 BTC Pro just bought. Any issues?

I fail to see how the type or brand of mother board can matter when using 2 psu, I have asrock z87 mboard and use https://www.pccasegear.com/products/24241/phobya-24pin-2-way-psu-starting-cable this cable to start both psu. I have 5 gpu 1000w + 850w psu, the 1000w runs the mboard + accessories and 3 gpu and powered risers, the 850w runs 2 gpu and their powered risers.

Thats how you fry risers. If two psu-s have different voltage at any time, they get shorted and luckily the riser is the weakest link. If u power only pci-e power connectors with second psu, there will be no short as those "+" contacts are not connected directly to mb.

So right way would be,

interresting, according to this plan its the opposite?

from this http://omg-it.works/building-an-ethereum-mining-rig/
quote "If you do not follow this wiring scheme you risk shorts or unbalanced power distribution, leading to overload and/or bad power efficiency."

i do have powered usb 3 riser with molex connected to sata power
i also connected the 2 molex on the mainboard with one adapter connected to one molex which is the same line that goes to one gpu on 1st psu
that maybe no good idea ^^
ive tried to connect it to the 2nd psu, as soon as i start the 2nd psu the cpu and gpu fans will turn on, at first i though the pc booted, i guess it didnt only the vents got power, i did not try to start up the pc with this config, too worried

i could try the h81 with your setup above.

Can you explain this in details, I am going to use one server PSU for cards and one PC PSU for H81 BTC Pro just bought. Any issues?

I fail to see how the type or brand of mother board can matter when using 2 psu, I have asrock z87 mboard and use https://www.pccasegear.com/products/24241/phobya-24pin-2-way-psu-starting-cable this cable to start both psu. I have 5 gpu 1000w + 850w psu, the 1000w runs the mboard + accessories and 3 gpu and powered risers, the 850w runs 2 gpu and their powered risers.

ASrock H81 BTC is a well known board for mining for many years - very good reviews and it just works.
2 x PSUs powering 5,6 or 7 GPUs is not an issue with the board.
Like what merc84 said above, you need to get the adapter to get both PSU powered on at same time, as if it's one single big PSU.
Then you need to allocated how many GPUs per PSU in the right order.
Many many good videos out there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3iup26oUN4 / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiWciJLK3o

yes ive read about that that solution, i guess that would be that best way to go..
http://www.add2psu.com/

add2psu is the only solution for this? ive seen it on another site and didnt investigate further...
and yeah im sorry that i kicked this offtopic with one wrong sentence xD

All my GPUs get their power directly from the PSUs.

I've played around alot with this.. having up to 5 shitty PSUs in 1 system.. no problem.
But ive NEVER connected them togheter.. they operate directly with one or more GPUs.

I now like to have a sep. psu just for the mobo, disk and fans.
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
miner is performing well, better than qtminer. worth the price.

thanks!
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
claymore

just switched to your miner from the stock ethminer (never used genoils) because of some late general weirdness, although it seemed to be fine for the last month.

start to finish, 10 minutes due to your clear concise readme Smiley

straight eth mode on my nitro r9 390 @ nano.

only comment i have atm is when 1st fired up it would say in red something like "disconnected, trying again in 20 secs." that may of been initial DAG. but it was like "oh noes!" did I mess up?? heh

all is well.

i would donate (i have donated to ck, kano, others) but you have taken care of that with total transparency.

OK nuff blabbing time to setup failovers, tweaks etc.

Activity: 546
Merit: 254
ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

Thats how you fry risers. If two psu-s have different voltage at any time, they get shorted and luckily the riser is the weakest link. If u power only pci-e power connectors with second psu, there will be no short as those "+" contacts are not connected directly to mb.

So right way would be,

interresting, according to this plan its the opposite?

from this http://omg-it.works/building-an-ethereum-mining-rig/
quote "If you do not follow this wiring scheme you risk shorts or unbalanced power distribution, leading to overload and/or bad power efficiency."

i do have powered usb 3 riser with molex connected to sata power
i also connected the 2 molex on the mainboard with one adapter connected to one molex which is the same line that goes to one gpu on 1st psu
that maybe no good idea ^^
ive tried to connect it to the 2nd psu, as soon as i start the 2nd psu the cpu and gpu fans will turn on, at first i though the pc booted, i guess it didnt only the vents got power, i did not try to start up the pc with this config, too worried

i could try the h81 with your setup above.

ASrock H81 BTC is a well known board for mining for many years - very good reviews and it just works.
Like what merc84 said above, you need to get the adapter to get both PSU powered on at same time, as if it's one single big PSU.
Many many good videos out there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3iup26oUN4 / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiWciJLK3o

yes ive read about that that solution, i guess that would be that best way to go..
http://www.add2psu.com/

add2psu is the only solution for this? ive seen it on another site and didnt investigate further...
and yeah im sorry that i kicked this offtopic with one wrong sentence xD
Activity: 80

So right way would be,

So right way would be,

Curious since the gpu's are connected directly to the mb via the usb riser how it is any different to only power riser from 1st psu? And not entirely sure what u mean "power all cards it can handle thru pcie power connectors and nothing more" do u mean to say you cannot use the 2nd psu for anything but pcie connections ie no sata connection for powered risers?
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1325
Miners developer
@Claymore I'm running two GPU's in crossfire because I play games sometimes, and I'm only getting gpu0 temperature readout. Not gpu0 and gpu1 temps. Can you look into this?

Disable crossfire, that's the only solution, ADL reports only one card when crossifre enabled.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0

https://i.imgur.com/PrLo98A.png?1

So right way would be,
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1325
Miners developer
To be on topic: @Claymore, any progress with stability of stats fetching on Linux? 4.3 works well for me but even pressing "s" once gave me assertion failure. Also automatic refresh wia EthMan causes this often. I set the miner as offline and update stats only when necessary.

I already fixed issues with stats in Linux, it will be applied in next update, I will release it in 1-2 days.

Hi Claymore.
On the remote monitoring utility, I finally saw some red flashes.
Does this red flash alert due to high temp or some other parameters?
Thanks

Red color is appeared if:
1. Target hashrate is above than miner reports.
or
2. There is no connection to miner.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Hi Claymore.
On the remote monitoring utility, I finally saw some red flashes.
Does this red flash alert due to high temp or some other parameters?

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Jump to: