Author

Topic: Claymore's ZCash/BTG AMD GPU Miner v12.6 (Windows/Linux) - page 382. (Read 3839163 times)

legendary
Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006
Careful with this version, while people report no major power increase, if you ever watched the gpu power consumption in gpu-z, you will see that each card has a power spike when it finishes a share (or something in the same ballpark). If you take the avg power consumption, it might look ok for the PSU, but those spikes, if they are done at the same time on most or all GPUs, even a relatively good PSU will make the system freeze or even shutdown.

Just to confirm, there are some big PSU spikes happening.

Same here. I'm running 7 rx 480 on a single rig and had no problem with v.8. I've had to set -i 1 to stabilize the system. I'm using a Platinum EVGA psu, so its not that. Anyone have any insight?

How much power for the PSU? The fact that it's platinum means very little.
Well, my Platimax 1200 has problems ( freezes ) with 6 480's. No problem with 5 of them. PM shows 850 - ish @ the wall so not registering spikes
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Careful with this version, while people report no major power increase, if you ever watched the gpu power consumption in gpu-z, you will see that each card has a power spike when it finishes a share (or something in the same ballpark). If you take the avg power consumption, it might look ok for the PSU, but those spikes, if they are done at the same time on most or all GPUs, even a relatively good PSU will make the system freeze or even shutdown.

Same here. I'm running 7 rx 480 on a single rig and had no problem with v.8. I've had to set -i 1 to stabilize the system. I'm using a Platinum EVGA psu, so its not that. Anyone have any insight?

Two friends average PSU draw (6 GPUs, unclocked and undervolted) is around 777w with spikes up to 1033w (they have 1000w PSU). Just a heads up for people, be careful.
Activity: 505
Merit: 500
Is it just me or is this version mostly geared towards the Pitcairns ( 7850 / 7870 / 270x / 370 )? Getting pretty much 25% speed up with these cards. The rest not so much.
yep... i got 142 sols on each (sapphire 270), undervolted, slightly overclocked. 6x GPU, ~610W at the wall
Activity: 161
Merit: 10

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

Activity: 51
Very good new version - power usage is the same and it runs smoothly. Thank you Claymore!

|GPU |  clocks   |     W     | v8.0 h/s  |  v9.0 h/s |
|370 | 1175/1500 |   110?    |    128    |   156     |
|280 | 1000/1500 |   130     |    188    |   195     |
|290 | 1000/1250 |   180     |    274    |   285     |

Activity: 161
Careful with this version, while people report no major power increase, if you ever watched the gpu power consumption in gpu-z, you will see that each card has a power spike when it finishes a share (or something in the same ballpark). If you take the avg power consumption, it might look ok for the PSU, but those spikes, if they are done at the same time on most or all GPUs, even a relatively good PSU will make the system freeze or even shutdown. Happened on 2 systems of mine after switching to V9. I have pretty poor power supplies, a seasonic 750w (it can get to 830-840w without shuting down) and a segotep 800w (at 50 degrees, 900w at 25 degrees). The first one has 5x 470s, and the 2nd one has 2x470 and a 290x and a 390. I undervolt the shit out of every card so that systems are stable 24/7. Now with v9 I had to undervolt more and also underclock (at least on the core) to make systems not freeze (I didn't get any bsods or restarts, or artifacts, only screen turned black and no signal from card, but systems kept running, so cards are not the issue).
So careful with what PSU you choose, in my opinion, a 1000w is the minimum for a 5x470/480 if you plan to leave stock or overclock a bit. For 6 cards you will need 1150-1200w psu.
The other option is to undervolt, like I did, and you could also lower power limit in AB for each card, maybe that helps with power spikes (I will experiment with that).

In conclusion, while on avg power consumption the eth miner is higher, those power spikes on zcash miner are overloading our psu's if done simultaneously on more cards or all. My sistems were completely stable at the same settings used in clay v8 on eth miner, so not the avg power consumption is the issue, clearly.

There is even a separate thread created by someone having these issues, and some others are joining in saying they have the same issue, but didn't bother into actually checking why it happens. It is not the miner's fault!
That's it, all rigs are on V9, let's see how stable it will work, only one rig out of 94 turned off, I will check it tomorrow.

How are you managing all those rigs?
Activity: 81
[ Poor Miner ]
reporting speed:

R7 360 -

v8 - 70 Sol/s
V9 - 88 Sol/s

25% increase.

Thanks Claymore.
Activity: 67
That's it, all rigs are on V9, let's see how stable it will work, only one rig out of 94 turned off, I will check it tomorrow.

Also I wanted to ask about the benefits of ssl connection for mining ?
You have 94 rigs?Huh? How the f**k.

lol
Activity: 56

Also I wanted to ask about the benefits of ssl connection for mining ?
You have 94 rigs?Huh? How the f**k.
Activity: 10
Getting a solid +15% on my stock RX480 cards. Nice job indeed.
Activity: 280
Gigabyte HD7850 2GB, 1100/1250, -i 5 - 138 sol
Activity: 56
Was 9.0 the last one or will you make another one!  Roll Eyes <3 Claymore!
Good question. We need an answer. I am wondering if he can get some more hashes out of hd7950 and especially from rx470 and rx480

v9.0 is not the last version, further speedup is possible. But don't expect another +30% in a couple of days please Smiley
We don't. Keep up the good work Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Did a bit more testing on my HIS Ice-Q 2GB HD 7870 single-card rig.

X240 dual core CPU, 2 Gig RAM, Win 7, Catalyst 15.12, mining on flypool.

Machine has been stable running V8 at about 110 H/s for a few days straight.

Switch to V9 (no other changes):

-i 6 miner reports "too high intensity" and reverts to -i 5, see below.

-i 5 miner stable, reports 96 give or take H/s, TONS OF REJECTS (bloody near 100% rejected).

-i 4 miner starts up, then fairly quickly crashes after never getting far enough to report hashrate or any shares. Watchdog then reboots miner, and repeat in a seemingly infinite cycle.

-i 3 miner starts up, reports 336 H/s (NO TYPO) but every single share is rejected.

-i 2 miner starts up, reports 96 H/s give or take, but tons of rejects (seems to be acting identically to -i 5)

didn't bother testing -i 1

[edit] Remembered seeing a comment about "16 GB virtual memory needed for multi-gpu machines" and decided to try bumping that up from 2GB.

-i 6 miner stable, reports 89 H/s, 100% rejects.

-i 5 miner stable, reports 80 H/s, 100% rejects.

-i 4 miner starts up, reports 111 H/s, then goes into constant driver crash / watchdog recycle mode and never starts hashing again.

-i 3 miner stable, reports 330 H/s, 100% rejects.

-i 2 miner stable, reports 84-87 H/s, 100% rejects.

-i 1 miner stable, reports 0 H/s and never finds a share.

Switch back to v8

-i 6 miner reports too high intensity going to 5, stable, reports 110 more or less H/s and lots of accepted shares 0 rejects.

GPU-Z also reported some odd behavior on the clocks under the -i 4 settings on both runs with v9 - a short spike early, then a "ramp-up" 'till the driver crashes, then just stays at idle after that.

[edit] I tried updating that machine to the current win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.1-dec7 drivers.

Loses 1-2% hashrate and no other changes, on both V8 AND v9.

I'm starting to wonder if this v9 version requires a ton more system ram for some reason than V8, though it doesn't SEEM to use very much when I look at task manager memory usage.

It's definitely VERY PICKY about something, as I've seen quite a few other comments about it not working well from a few other folks.

Activity: 44
I'm having problems with power spiking. 3x 470 @.96v using v9 spikes from 280w to 360w and eventually crashes the whole system using i6. Is it just me?
v8 spiked much less being stable @.96v
Activity: 635
Merit: 500
ok so i have noticed over all versions that the watchdog doesnt work well if at all miner just hangs dosnt report that anything is wrong then if i hit S to report speed it then restarts

only time i notice this is when im messing with volts on 290x after a new release it doesnt crash driver or anything miner just hangs till u hit R or S

and yes i have the restarts and delays set
Are you using teamviewer? The last several version of Claymore will freeze up when I click on the open teamviewer window. Miner will run perfectly for days with the window open.......until I click on it. It doesn't do this EVERY time, but often enough I have to watch closely or immediately hit "s" when I bring that window to the front. Wouldn't be much of a problem on a plain mining rig, but this rig with teamviewer is also a torrent seedbox.
Activity: 479
ok so i have noticed over all versions that the watchdog doesnt work well if at all miner just hangs dosnt report that anything is wrong then if i hit S to report speed it then restarts

only time i notice this is when im messing with volts on 290x after a new release it doesnt crash driver or anything miner just hangs till u hit R or S

and yes i have the restarts and delays set
Activity: 24
Hello,
do you guys noticed bigger reject rate? I went from ~205 sol/s to ~217 sol/s on my r9 280x each, but reject rate is much higher, so total speed is same as v8 (if not lower). I am mining at nicehash.
Using stock settings, bios, intensity, all.

Thanks.
Jump to: