Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] ASICMiner Prisma 1.4th/s - 1.47 BTC - page 2. (Read 49673 times)

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
I'll check with AM on your return. On the 2 board issue above, make sure the ambient temp is not to cool. I've experienced an issue on the BE where boards shut down once it got too cold.

yeah when I ran them with my garage door open they would run with 30F air coming in.  but they would not start.  I needed to close the garage door and let the room get warmer for them to start. then open the garage door to prevent over heating.

This appeared to be the solution.  Once I let the boards warm up, they appear to be hashing just fine.  Thanks for the tip, it was dead on.

Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
I'll check with AM on your return. On the 2 board issue above, make sure the ambient temp is not to cool. I've experienced an issue on the BE where boards shut down once it got too cold.

yeah when I ran them with my garage door open they would run with 30F air coming in.  but they would not start.  I needed to close the garage door and let the room get warmer for them to start. then open the garage door to prevent over heating.

I'm going to attempt to fire those two boards up again this morning. . They are in a DC,  so the temperature is on the low side. I'll let you know what I find.
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
I hope they are working on something. The board that caught fire and was returned cleared HK customs 11/18 and nothing has happened since then.
So after about a day or two of hashing at 1300-1400GH something happened and now my Prisma only reaches about 1000GH poolside.

I believe one of the boards went out? or isn't hashing for some reason? I didn't make any changes to my system so I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem. PSU is good and everything checks out, boards switches are correct etc. Running CrazyGuy's version of cgAM on a RPi.

The Kill-a-watt meter fluctuates from 950-1200 Watts. Sort of reminds me of my Titan with the failing die. Hopefully that is not the situation. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

Disconnect the boards one at a time, or connect the USB adapter to one at a time, and you see if one is not working or working poorly.

1)power it down fully

2)pull power plugs from 3 boards. 

3)on the power board make sure the fan is plugged into its jack

4)on the powered board   leave dip switches alone

5)only have the powered board connect directly to you rasp pi or be controller not to the other boards with the 3 pin white cable.

test each board one at a time following the above procedure.
I've lost two out of my eight boards last night around midnight.  There is no visible problem I can find, but when plugged directly into the Pi or the BE controller I get nothing.  On the BE controller I get multiple PwrDn counts, but no hardware errors.  The device doesn't warm up, and the boards heat sinks are cool to the touch!

I've connected the two good units back into the chain, distributed the power appropriately and have my fingers crossed.  I hope AM does something to sort out this issue--they've been good about it in the past; I imagine they are scrambling to figure it out as we speak.
legendary
So after about a day or two of hashing at 1300-1400GH something happened and now my Prisma only reaches about 1000GH poolside.

I believe one of the boards went out? or isn't hashing for some reason? I didn't make any changes to my system so I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem. PSU is good and everything checks out, boards switches are correct etc. Running CrazyGuy's version of cgAM on a RPi.

The Kill-a-watt meter fluctuates from 950-1200 Watts. Sort of reminds me of my Titan with the failing die. Hopefully that is not the situation. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

Disconnect the boards one at a time, or connect the USB adapter to one at a time, and you see if one is not working or working poorly.

1)power it down fully

2)pull power plugs from 3 boards. 

3)on the power board make sure the fan is plugged into its jack

4)on the powered board   leave dip switches alone

5)only have the powered board connect directly to you rasp pi or be controller not to the other boards with the 3 pin white cable.

test each board one at a time following the above procedure.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

legendary
I don't know if you guys thought of this, but i think its better to make the miner stand sideways , rather than leaving it on one of the side. Works for me and stands rock solid.
No need to worry about the heat under the board anymore ? :

Just unplugged it to reverse that handles just to be safer. And going back to mine.

nice real nice.   now if you buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Natural-Aluminum-Commercial/dp/B000G0KJG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1416521409&sr=1-1&keywords=aluminum+cookie+sheet

and some  of these  to line the tray to  make the tray absorb the heat,prevent fire damage and prevent shorts. I think the prisma may be fully tamed.  even if it burns up due to a hot cap.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Semi-Gloss-Black-4-1-4-in-x-4-1-4-in-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-K11144HD1P2/202027054
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
What did you do to fix it?

As i said before.  Instead of using AM cgminer from crazy's minera,  i compiled another one from github.com/blockerupter.  Worked much better for me,  filtered some of the errors and seemed to be booting the boards much better than before,  i still had to do few restarts and after it boots up everything,  i just leave it to do some work.  From the beggining i thought it would be something terribly wrong,  but it just the miner being stupid and not booting up properly. And also rather than spamming the miner restart button.  Its better to keep reopening  the cgminer through the terminal, more info,  quicker and finding the boards better than through  minera for some reason.. 
So whats up with yours atm.?  Still struggling to start it up at all?  Or do you get some hashrate going at least?

Ops.  I actually replied to your post:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9571067

So I tried cgminer 4.7.0 like you suggested and I'm still getting the BET0 errors.  I tried re-starting cgminer ~20 times and still the same error.

When it starts do you leave it running for a while ? I'm still getting the errors also its spamming cgminer with it , but it stops at some point then it starts accepting shares and the hashrate shows up after that, sometimes its hashing very slow , usually when it boots up more than 500gh/s i leave it , then it slowly starts up all the chips on the boards , but eventually hashes on full power.
Do you get any accepted shares at all ?

is this what  happens chris ?  do you wait 10 minutes to see if it improves

I recommend this as well, especially from a cold boot. I find they are a bit harder to get started when it's really cold, but once the prisma starts warming up, boards start coming to life.

I agree on that , i could not boot it up when i had the miner outside where its colder, was not possible to boot it up at all. But now its inside with open windows and working, i thought that was just my imagination , good to know that i was right.

This is interesting.  I had my prisma in my workshop where it is currently ~35F.  I brought the miner inside to warm up. 

I ran cgminer 4.7.0 for about 2-5 min each time.  maybe that wasn't enough time.

With that popped cap, did you have the older shipment or the most recent one?  Supposedly the most recent shipment was packaged much better.  There were issues with popping caps from the 1st shipment.

35F ?! Put that poor thing inside ! And try it there Smiley

yeah it will run in 35f but not start in 35f  had the same issue.  I need to close my garage door and warm the room to start it. once it runs for 10 minutes I could open the door and let it get cool.

I warmed the thing up to a nice 68F and ran cgminer for an hour or so and no hash.  Each board is the same no hash.  Tried multiple restarts of cgminer ( about 45-60min between each restart) and no luck.  I have a new urt coming tomorrow so hopefully that will make it better?  If not, off to the market.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
That's actually how I have mine set up right now. On the other hand I have also noticed they don't like to run cold as well.

I bet if you looked under the PCB of that popped cap nearby you would find a nick in the PCB with a bit of copper inside that causes it to short to the heatsink and pop the closest cap it finds. That's what my burnt board looks like anyway.

Burnt prisma's should be posted over in this thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/block-erupter-prisma-14-tdevice-075-078-wg-1-btct-october-shipping-791827

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
I don't know if you guys thought of this, but i think its better to make the miner stand sideways , rather than leaving it on one of the side. Works for me and stands rock solid.
No need to worry about the heat under the board anymore ? :

http://i.imgur.com/Hl7Wj0bs.png

Just unplugged it to reverse that handles just to be safer. And going back to mine.
legendary
That stinks! I noticed it is right by the handle which gets very hot. On mine I bent the handles back so the chips can get more air. It looks like the chips don't like to be near any metal.

Interesting development.  Since I could not get it to stay running with the fan control I hooked it back up to the normal board control and plugged it in.  At first it did not find the boards or they would not hash.  After a couple restarts of the controller it started hashing.
Left the room and a little while later the smoke detector goes off.  The board that had been dropping out first when it was running, a side board caught fire.  It was quick and nothing big but pop it did.  So it is disconnected after testing the other three boards which again came up ok just dont want to hash at low temps.  I am going to have to write an update to my initial review as these are not very safe.  Something is wrong in the string design I think.  The Tube and Rockminer T1 are working great at the lower temps better than when it was 80 degrees f out.
FriedCat if you or any of you partners are reading this, I have tried to contact you through several channels and PMs here. You gave a response to a vendor who is not sure I can use your response or not. I understand you are busy but I would like to have an official response before I publish my update about the Prismas.  Many people are worried they will burn their homes down.  You can PM me here or contact me through my email on my articles.  Also let me know how to RMA this unit please.
Thank you.

that metal is shiny and could reflect heat back towards the caps.  I reversed my handles for running the prisma
I also placed some ceramic tiles under it and behind it.

legendary

As i said before.  Instead of using AM cgminer from crazy's minera,  i compiled another one from github.com/blockerupter.  Worked much better for me,  filtered some of the errors and seemed to be booting the boards much better than before,  i still had to do few restarts and after it boots up everything,  i just leave it to do some work.  From the beggining i thought it would be something terribly wrong,  but it just the miner being stupid and not booting up properly. And also rather than spamming the miner restart button.  Its better to keep reopening  the cgminer through the terminal, more info,  quicker and finding the boards better than through  minera for some reason.. 
So whats up with yours atm.?  Still struggling to start it up at all?  Or do you get some hashrate going at least?

Ops.  I actually replied to your post:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9571067

So I tried cgminer 4.7.0 like you suggested and I'm still getting the BET0 errors.  I tried re-starting cgminer ~20 times and still the same error.

When it starts do you leave it running for a while ? I'm still getting the errors also its spamming cgminer with it , but it stops at some point then it starts accepting shares and the hashrate shows up after that, sometimes its hashing very slow , usually when it boots up more than 500gh/s i leave it , then it slowly starts up all the chips on the boards , but eventually hashes on full power.

I recommend this as well, especially from a cold boot. I find they are a bit harder to get started when it's really cold, but once the prisma starts warming up, boards start coming to life.

I agree on that , i could not boot it up when i had the miner outside where its colder, was not possible to boot it up at all. But now its inside with open windows and working, i thought that was just my imagination , good to know that i was right.

This is interesting.  I had my prisma in my workshop where it is currently ~35F.  I brought the miner inside to warm up. 

I ran cgminer 4.7.0 for about 2-5 min each time.  maybe that wasn't enough time.

With that popped cap, did you have the older shipment or the most recent one?  Supposedly the most recent shipment was packaged much better.  There were issues with popping caps from the 1st shipment.

yeah it will run in 35f but not start in 35f  had the same issue.  I need to close my garage door and warm the room to start it. once it runs for 10 minutes I could open the door and let it get cool.

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
Yes all caps were accounted.
The fan was on full and working fine.  It was not heat that did this but a popping cap.  I have seen so many of them over the years in different computer gear.

Well that image is becoming a bit too common. Do you know if the cap was there before the incident?

Please post the details in friedcat's thread as I don't believe he's following mine. You'll need to contact the reseller you purchased from and they should provide you with details for RMA. If you purchased directly from friedcat I'll see if I can get him to respond to you.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Yes all caps were accounted.
The fan was on full and working fine.  It was not heat that did this but a popping cap.  I have seen so many of them over the years in different computer gear.

Well that image is becoming a bit too common. Do you know if the cap was there before the incident?
Pages:
Jump to: