Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] ASICMiner Prisma 1.4th/s - 1.47 BTC - page 3. (Read 49842 times)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Well that image is becoming a bit too common. Do you know if the cap was there before the incident?
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Interesting development.  Since I could not get it to stay running with the fan control I hooked it back up to the normal board control and plugged it in.  At first it did not find the boards or they would not hash.  After a couple restarts of the controller it started hashing.
Left the room and a little while later the smoke detector goes off.  The board that had been dropping out first when it was running, a side board caught fire.  It was quick and nothing big but pop it did.  So it is disconnected after testing the other three boards which again came up ok just dont want to hash at low temps.  I am going to have to write an update to my initial review as these are not very safe.  Something is wrong in the string design I think.  The Tube and Rockminer T1 are working great at the lower temps better than when it was 80 degrees f out.
FriedCat if you or any of you partners are reading this, I have tried to contact you through several channels and PMs here. You gave a response to a vendor who is not sure I can use your response or not. I understand you are busy but I would like to have an official response before I publish my update about the Prismas.  Many people are worried they will burn their homes down.  You can PM me here or contact me through my email on my articles.  Also let me know how to RMA this unit please.
Thank you.
legendary
Ok on the Prisma not running end.
It is 21 degrees F in my mining room.  So yes below freezing.  I used a fan speed control and slowed the fan way down and the Prisma finally starts up.  So it does not like the old or too warm.  On the same hand other miners like the SP30, Bitcrane, S4 and more run massively well at these temps.
It does not like to stay running long though.  I will keep adjusting the fan to find the sweet spot in temp for it.
I may boost the freq to see if the extra heat helps.  I have it at 240 now.
legendary
Seems to be too cold in my garage with the other miners for it.  It just does not boot the boards anymore.  Really frustrating.  It is too loud for the basement LOL
Plus a fire hazzard with the dam boards burning up.

What did you do to fix it?

As i said before.  Instead of using AM cgminer from crazy's minera,  i compiled another one from github.com/blockerupter.  Worked much better for me,  filtered some of the errors and seemed to be booting the boards much better than before,  i still had to do few restarts and after it boots up everything,  i just leave it to do some work.  From the beggining i thought it would be something terribly wrong,  but it just the miner being stupid and not booting up properly. And also rather than spamming the miner restart button.  Its better to keep reopening  the cgminer through the terminal, more info,  quicker and finding the boards better than through  minera for some reason.. 
So whats up with yours atm.?  Still struggling to start it up at all?  Or do you get some hashrate going at least?

Ops.  I actually replied to your post:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9571067

So I tried cgminer 4.7.0 like you suggested and I'm still getting the BET0 errors.  I tried re-starting cgminer ~20 times and still the same error.

When it starts do you leave it running for a while ? I'm still getting the errors also its spamming cgminer with it , but it stops at some point then it starts accepting shares and the hashrate shows up after that, sometimes its hashing very slow , usually when it boots up more than 500gh/s i leave it , then it slowly starts up all the chips on the boards , but eventually hashes on full power.
Do you get any accepted shares at all ?

is this what  happens chris ?  do you wait 10 minutes to see if it improves

I recommend this as well, especially from a cold boot. I find they are a bit harder to get started when it's really cold, but once the prisma starts warming up, boards start coming to life.
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

As i said before.  Instead of using AM cgminer from crazy's minera,  i compiled another one from github.com/blockerupter.  Worked much better for me,  filtered some of the errors and seemed to be booting the boards much better than before,  i still had to do few restarts and after it boots up everything,  i just leave it to do some work.  From the beggining i thought it would be something terribly wrong,  but it just the miner being stupid and not booting up properly. And also rather than spamming the miner restart button.  Its better to keep reopening  the cgminer through the terminal, more info,  quicker and finding the boards better than through  minera for some reason.. 
So whats up with yours atm.?  Still struggling to start it up at all?  Or do you get some hashrate going at least?

Ops.  I actually replied to your post:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9571067

So I tried cgminer 4.7.0 like you suggested and I'm still getting the BET0 errors.  I tried re-starting cgminer ~20 times and still the same error.

When it starts do you leave it running for a while ? I'm still getting the errors also its spamming cgminer with it , but it stops at some point then it starts accepting shares and the hashrate shows up after that, sometimes its hashing very slow , usually when it boots up more than 500gh/s i leave it , then it slowly starts up all the chips on the boards , but eventually hashes on full power.

I recommend this as well, especially from a cold boot. I find they are a bit harder to get started when it's really cold, but once the prisma starts warming up, boards start coming to life.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

legendary
I can happily say that after 4 days of pain its hashing properly Smiley

I split the power into two PSU's after all , so i can sleep without being worried.

http://i.imgur.com/nBEoEAx.png

To CrazyGuy:
I might try that Cubian later if my miners arrive, looks like you're getting some extra hashrate with that Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
A10 Cubie install is looking very good. Using Cubian as base and installed from my repository with manual installation steps, no modifications. 2 Prismas chained through 1 usb-uart adapter. Avg 2.9 to 3 th/s at base clock.

legendary
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I have the best single psu you can get to runs this (money no object)  the evga 1600 watt platinum psu.

Thoughts are this you need to be a little more advanced to use this then an s-3.
It is loud.
For now I will not run this if I am not at home  as my mining area can't quite be made fire resistant.

If you can set this in an outside building  with proper cooling it is pretty nice.
You avoid the sound problems.
You avoid the burn up risk .

If you are an apartment person this is a no go.

In the PC power supply arena I absolutely concur. The EVGA's are Top Notch.
However, what we feel is a more more cost effective solution follows:

Connected to this adapter Gekko Science Sells ( http://gekkoscience.com/products/IBM2K_board.html )

Bottom side view:

What the look like wired up and running:

But this is what we call a "Desktop Computer".

8 6 core AMD's (48 cores), 64G memory, Dual nVidia Quadro's w/1.5G each, . . .

These are 1800W supplies (147.5A * 12.2V) They have adjustable OCP (Over Current Protection) and adjustable output voltage, in addition to all the "bells 'N' whistles" the Gekko Science adapter brings to the table.
We have paid anywhere between $18.75 -$25 each, the Gekko Science adapter sells for $60.
We make our own PCIe cables, although Gekko Science sells 3' cables for, if memory serves, $3.75 each.
The fans we scarfed in the salvage market which flow 24 CFM each and are required to run these supplies outside the IBM Blade Center enclosures they were designed to be in.
I believe Gekko Science offers fans for these supplies but don't know their cost.
So assuming one purchased the cables from Gekko (8 * 3.75) for $30, the total cost of this supply is ~$115

Just a thought.
legendary
I sold my Prisma 1.4Th/s for 1.5 BTC. It's been a fun experiment while it lasted!

It is good gear if you can host it in the right place. Selling it was not a bad idea on your part.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I sold my Prisma 1.4Th/s for 1.5 BTC. It's been a fun experiment while it lasted!
legendary
I have the best single psu you can get to runs this (money no object)  the evga 1600 watt platinum psu.

At setting 22=  freq 230 (slight underclock)  this gear does great.  I get 88.727gh x 16 = 1420 gh  with 2.63% errors poolside at mmpool.org  it is about 1400gh watts

watts bounce from 1100 to 1130 on a kill-a-watt   

so best number is  1100/1420 = .7746 watts at the k-watt-meter 
worst number is 1130/1400 =    .8071 watts at the k-watt-meter   

the psu can do 1600 watts and it cost me 300 usd .
with a 10year warranty I plan to use it in some type of mining for years to come.

This prisma really needs quality power supply and good cooling. 

I can only  manage  the heat correctly  with an open door setup. 

Thoughts are this you need to be a little more advanced to use this then an s-3.
It is loud.
For now I will not run this if I am not at home  as my mining area can't quite be made fire resistant.

If you can set this in an outside building  with proper cooling it is pretty nice.
You avoid the sound problems.
You avoid the burn up risk .

If you are an apartment person this is a no go.

@ crazyguy 

I sent a pm today with a few questions . Please let me know if you got it.

Thanks phil
For anyone having the BET0 error problems , for me the best working cgminer is 4.7.0 , compiled on Rpi from git : https://github.com/blockerupter/cgminer . Don't know why , but seems to be working better than the AM one for some reason. Also for the spamming button , better is to open up the minera terminal under the "System" , cd /var/www/minera/minera-bin/src/cgminer or AM or whatever your minera uses. And just start it up with the arguments or json config which is at /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json , then its easier to spam it and see what is actually going on without having to turn on the log all the time , works better for me that way.
This way i managed to start it up after few tries again, hashing 1400gh/s this time , 1170W power usage. 6% errors so far. Not sure if its good idea with my 1200W platinum corsair, its close enough.
If i keep --bet-clk 23 i was hashing 1200ghs with no errors and 1070W , not sure whats better.

Sorry for keeping the spam in the topic , i thought this could be helpfull.

If you are running the prisma on 1 PSU then this a very bad idea.  PSU really don't like running more than about 80% rated power continuously.  You have a very high risk of damaging/destroying your PSU.   

I thought so , i should probably lower the clocks down a bit.
legendary
For anyone having the BET0 error problems , for me the best working cgminer is 4.7.0 , compiled on Rpi from git : https://github.com/blockerupter/cgminer . Don't know why , but seems to be working better than the AM one for some reason. Also for the spamming button , better is to open up the minera terminal under the "System" , cd /var/www/minera/minera-bin/src/cgminer or AM or whatever your minera uses. And just start it up with the arguments or json config which is at /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json , then its easier to spam it and see what is actually going on without having to turn on the log all the time , works better for me that way.
This way i managed to start it up after few tries again, hashing 1400gh/s this time , 1170W power usage. 6% errors so far. Not sure if its good idea with my 1200W platinum corsair, its close enough.
If i keep --bet-clk 23 i was hashing 1200ghs with no errors and 1070W , not sure whats better.

If you are running the prisma on 1 PSU then this a very bad idea.  PSU really don't like running more than about 80% rated power continuously.  You have a very high risk of damaging/destroying your PSU.   

Pages:
Jump to: