Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] ASICMiner Prisma 1.4th/s - 1.47 BTC - page 21. (Read 49842 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Owner, Minersource.net
would it be safe to do that mod on the dps2000 and run two prismas?

You shouldn't have a problem.
The DPS1200s power 1 Prisma each without a problem. as well as 2x Dell 750
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
would it be safe to do that mod on the dps2000 and run two prismas?
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Why Waltz when you can Rock 'N' Roll.
Saw a bunch of folks complaining about PSU costs and thought I'd stick my $.02 worth in.
From a post I made recently in the  Re: [PRICE REDUCED] DPS-2000BB 2000W Server PSU Interface Board Thread here in Bitcointalk:

"FYI, as far as as I can tell from looking at the pin outs, the DPS-1600BB (147.5A @ 12.2V 1800W), DPS-2000BB (164A @ 12.2V 2000W), and the DPS-2500BB (205A @ 12.2V 2500W) are pin compatible and the DPS2K adapter board and should be a "Plug 'N' Play" on these supply's.

Just ordered qty 16 DPS-1600BB's and when they come in will test and report back.
We scarfed these in the salvage market for $8.74 each + $10 shipping.
Total cost each was $18.74. Helluva' supply for $20.

These supply's have NO internal fans and in a stock configuration (i.e. installed in an IBM BladeCenter) are cooled by case air.
Adding 40mm fans to the side of the power supply case for cooling is MANDATORY.

We anticipate using these in our mining farm to power OC'ed AM Prisma's.
One supply per Prisma.

Of other interest is, the efficiency of these supplies under light loading (250W draw) is 87%, at or near rated output the efficiency rises to 92%.
So from a Bitcoin mining perspective it's better to run them WOT (Wide Open Throttle) than to be conservative.

Individuals in the RC community have reported about the DPS-2000BB's that when tweaking the output voltage to 14.6 and tweaking the Over Power Cutoff the DPS-2000's can supply 2800W (~200A @ 14.6V), Booyah!"

We own and use a variety of PC power supplies in our environment. We favor the EVGA 1300's (3x OC'd S3+'s per unit) efficiency is ~92% and they are silent.
Problem is they are pricey as hell.
So a while back we started rotating to Server based power supplies.
Most notably the HP 1200's, IBM DPS-1600's, and the IBM DPS-2000's.
And as a footnote the IBM DPS series of supplies will do current sharing/load balancing across multiple supplies.
So if 1800W/2000W isn't enough, wire them up in parallel and connect the current sharing pins.
Activity: 268
Thanks Crazy pm sent with shipping details and btc thanks again cant wait to add some heat to the garage Grin
Activity: 364
OK great! I will change cables and set to 240. What I think I should do is put one of the PCI-e cables from the double on each of the 4 boards. Thanks again!
Activity: 476
Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the help guys! Is it safe to run the Evga at 240?

in the top board and bottom board I used single cables. the left and right use the cable with the Pci-e in the middle. both on the same cable plugged into each side board. hmmm.

That's the problem, you need to split those double cables over multiple boards. Each of the 4 prisma boards should be attached to 1 single connecter cable and half of a double connector cable. This will enable the PSU to normalize current over all 6 cables.

Yep I'm running 2 with that same cable configuration and same psus clocked at 240 each for a whopping 2.89 TH/s total!!!
Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the help guys! Is it safe to run the Evga at 240?

in the top board and bottom board I used single cables. the left and right use the cable with the Pci-e in the middle. both on the same cable plugged into each side board. hmmm.

That's the problem, you need to split those double cables over multiple boards. Each of the 4 prisma boards should be attached to 1 single connecter cable and half of a double connector cable. This will enable the PSU to normalize current over all 6 cables.
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

I started my miner, holding my ears. The noise never came, these things are QUIET compared to my other miners and way, way quieter than an SP10 by a very long shot. the sound is like a hair dryer on Med, nothing as far as I am concerned.

EVGA 1300 cord is cool, but the double PCI-e double cable is warm. I am at freq 230, and getting 1.2T right now. Perhaps because it is hot in the room it's in right now. Or is it because I'm not running 240? Hmm.

one question, is there any way to see what temps the boards are at? I am guessing no.

I am running my Prismas with the same psu. My cables are not warm at all. Did you follow Phillipma1957s suggestions? Did you plug both connectors from one cable to the same board? If so see below.

my evga  has 6 cables  4 with 1 plug 2 with 2 plugs.

look closely   this is the 2 two plug cables   make believe that fan is the plug end fan on the long tube.

this will be two cables with 4 plugs  one plug in eacb side.   THIS IS NOT ENOUGH

you then have the 4 single cables plug one to each side.  so six cables pull 1200 watts.  each side of the unit has 1  cable with the long plug and 1/2 of the two plug cables  I don't have enough hands to hold it in place. but those 6 cables can carry 1200 watts even 1215.  if you think you understand the way to wire it please do and shoot a photo to us. I can confirm.

I run three S3s on a single Lepa 1200, no problems. But probably better with EVGA for mining.

it looks like I won't be using the Lepa 1600, the ebay ad is a scam. While the photo shows the right photo, the guy is selling them with the cables from the 1200w Lepa. I'm no dummy so he is going to have to pay to ship it back, ebay has a new policy the at the seller has to eat the cost.

I will use stock evga 1300. I am taking my time with the miner, I found some Styrofoam packing in the tube and on one of the chips, so good to check it over really well before starting it up.

I will say that I have a 1300w Lepa and it is one of the worst power supplies I've ever owned. It trips with almost any miner I've tried to use it with.
I started my miner, holding my ears. The noise never came, these things are QUIET compared to my other miners and way, way quieter than an SP10 by a very long shot. the sound is like a hair dryer on Med, nothing as far as I am concerned.

EVGA 1300 cord is cool, but the double PCI-e double cable is warm. I am at freq 230, and getting 1.2T right now. Perhaps because it is hot in the room it's in right now. Or is it because I'm not running 240? Hmm.

one question, is there any way to see what temps the boards are at? I am guessing no.

legendary
All remaining batches should be arriving next week. ASICMiner has asked me to hold off on placing a batch 6 order this weekend while they replenish stock. Any batch 6 orders to this point will be moved to batch 5, which should arrive next week. If you haven't sent me your label, please do so now.

I will have spare units for sale on ASICPuppy.net next week.
legendary
it looks like I won't be using the Lepa 1600, the ebay ad is a scam. While the photo shows the right photo, the guy is selling them with the cables from the 1200w Lepa. I'm no dummy so he is going to have to pay to ship it back, ebay has a new policy the at the seller has to eat the cost.

I will use stock evga 1300. I am taking my time with the miner, I found some Styrofoam packing in the tube and on one of the chips, so good to check it over really well before starting it up.

I will say that I have a 1300w Lepa and it is one of the worst power supplies I've ever owned. It trips with almost any miner I've tried to use it with.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
All wires and cables have arrived. I built a 10 gauge 10 foot long.  I have 2 quality oem cables 12 gauge and 14 gauge.

All are 10 feet long.

When tested with a k-watt meter

10 Gauge cold 1110 watts

12 gauge cold 1117 watts

14 gauge cold  1122 watts.

cold numbers are not too much different.

but 1 hour in

10 gauge = 1132 watts

i will need time to measure this.

i will do a 1 hour  - a 12 hour  - a 2 day.

I have photos will best soon.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
PM and email sent, sorry if I messed up at all, first group buy and im learning. Thanks CrazyGuy
Where I put my miners, I have a bunch of S3s, normally the temp in that room is 90F up to 99F, it sound very hot but S3's work no problem in this environment. I am thinking it is not going to be the case for the Prisma, I suppose even at 85 F your fans are going to be running at full blast and 80db. Not even sure if I Prisma would work in 90F.

In other big dragon miners, I had very large loud fans, blowing 3000 RPM with tons of air pressure. Also runs great in 90F. But using Corsair fans, the temps go way up, over 60c, so the loud fans are needed. Even in 90F the cards run at 50-55c with the fans on full blast.

I believe the fans that Philip mention are much better than the Corsair, they look like they also can move some air. I tried and failed with many different kinds of PC fans, but those Silverstone tech ones look good. I have a Silverstone Tech 1500w power supply that works very well.

Instead of AC, I have a round duct fan attached to a tube. Maybe it doesn't really remove enough heat from the room. I use this with a 110v controller.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KMTYFK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@ GrapeApe

actual temp? and impovement temp before and after?

No temps sorry. I wasn't trying to cool it down I was trying to make it quieter. Like I said I have a window A/C blowing right into them so my temps won't be normal anyway.
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
@ GrapeApe

actual temp? and impovement temp before and after?
Pages:
Jump to: