Pages:
Author

Topic: Companies that are scary - page 9. (Read 2437 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
February 19, 2018, 04:39:37 PM

Of all the large companies that are now large internet players, do anyone particularly scare you in terms of how you data and track could be used? Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, …?

Why have you left Google out of this list? In terms of amount of data which has been stockpiled, I think Google is unparalleled. They probably know you better than you yourself do. It is not about being scared, but taking steps to safeguard your privacy.
Activity: 238
Merit: 11
February 19, 2018, 04:29:00 PM

Of all the large companies that are now large internet players, do anyone particularly scare you in terms of how you data and track could be used? Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, …?

I think Facebook is the most evidently intrusive. They monitor all of your online activity pretty much and then shape your thoughts and such with targeted advertising. There will come a time in the future when the world decides it needs to take a step back from such intrusion in to their personal lives.

I am scared about Google. Facebook is something very optional, you don´t really need to use it at all. However, I find much more difficult not to use any Google service.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1338
February 19, 2018, 03:41:02 PM

Those do not really bother me as much, yes facebook keeps track of everything you do but you can decide to not use facebook or twitter and they will have nothing on you or very little at most, the ones that bother me are ISP you have to use them to access the internet and they keep records of everything you do so they have a lot more info than facebook, Google and twitter all combined.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 19, 2018, 12:43:33 PM
Yes, they are, the most important thing is many companies are trying to improve themselves such as Facebook has decided that mark will spend 2018 to improve the security and other stuff on Facebook, show that the number of fake sites and false advertisement decreases. It's true that many big internet companies keep all of our data from our daily life as they are trying to improve.
Activity: 322
Merit: 10
╔►[FILIPINO Translator]◄╝
February 19, 2018, 12:38:49 PM
I even wonder how really secure we are (our data) from these giant entities. As to security measure especially in FB, I think it's quite good but my concern is do they really not access our records in their database?
Activity: 473
Merit: 100
February 19, 2018, 12:22:52 PM
To me, GOOGLE on line services encompasses a lot more than what any one could imagine and spread all over every facet of life and covers every nooks and crannies of the world. This Global world of Google is somehow scary if we can put it that way.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251
February 19, 2018, 10:50:06 AM
Hi,

All of them actually. They all work together, buying and selling data. You are no longer anonymous on Internet. You leave tracks of who you are and what you do, everywhere. Your mail adress is linked with your phone number "for security reasons", thus leading to any other websites on which you leave your phone number.. That is to say many, many, many.

The whole system is working like that. Actually, I worked in a company that was against the use of such data. They were unable to compete with their direct competitors, they were always behind them. Just because such data today must be secured quickly to be optimally used by companies.

So I guess they are all a threat. And the fact that they all work all together is even more worrying!  Undecided
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
February 19, 2018, 10:22:50 AM

I would say facebook itself duo to the expirence my friend had with it.
He talked with a bunch of hes friends in hes house about "puzzles", after a day he gets and ad on facebook about a sell on differenet sizes of puzzles on amazon.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
February 19, 2018, 09:25:26 AM
Well I don't think that these huge companies are scary.
They are as we are providing our information and they have a big storage for all of our data's. That's why they are maintaining and keeps on upgrading their data center's for it.
Do you know that Sony is mainly an insurance company? I guess not, so take a look at that website to know more interesting info.
I don't have an idea that Sony is mainly an insurance company though. I'm only worried that we are giving our information freely to these websites and all of them can be a threat to someone that is shadily doing something wrong.
Activity: 119
Glab Trotter
February 19, 2018, 09:09:05 AM
The Internet is a very dangerous tool for privacy, that's why it's important to master these tools and control the information you give.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
February 19, 2018, 09:07:43 AM
Well I don't think that these huge companies are scary. The right word is successful. I read many facts and details about them on datapo source. Do you know that Sony is mainly an insurance company? I guess not, so take a look at that website to know more interesting info.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 106
Available for rent
February 18, 2018, 08:02:22 AM

Whether you believe it or not, but all companies are involved in such practices, Especially, the companies which have data of millions of users. There is so much money to be made with this. I recently purchased a domain from a leading company. I started getting calls from web design companies from my country and it continued for 30-40 days. You decide.
Activity: 364
Merit: 107
February 18, 2018, 05:46:02 AM
To be honest i am not scared because i am a nobody and i do not think government or anyone will be interested with my data but i think everything is connected i do not know if they have sharing data but try to google something like an adidas rubber shoes. The ads will be shown in your google plus but i was surprised that an advertisement will be shown as well in your social media like facebook.

Activity: 294
Merit: 101
February 18, 2018, 05:21:41 AM
I think the Social Media websites are scary especially your Facebook account because there are some people who lay everything on the Facebook account; where they live, where they are on that particular date and time. That's what scares me the most and that's why I don't post all the time and everything on any of my Social Media accounts.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158
February 18, 2018, 04:30:43 AM
Also we must accept that there are a lot of easy to manipulate morons who will make the wrong choices.
Hitler was voted by 30% of the Germans, and Stalin would have won fair and square every election.
And this was way before Trump and whatever happened there.
My point was that people will always be people. We all screw up and tend to follow the herd most of the time.

You completely glossed over the fact that such social media experiments show that it is indeed possible to target and manipulate particular demographics based on their social media/ net habits.

For example, Someone with access to all the google, twitter and facebook meta-data and the motivation and resources to mine it can easily divide people in groups as being favorable/ non-favorable to a particular candidate or proposal. They can then target the users accordingly to shape their opinion.
Denying that its always only "stupid" people who fall for such tactics is giving too much credit to your own thought process. A majority of people will change their opinion when bombarded with a particular ideology on their social feeds for a long enough time.
Sound good when its just the cat. Not so much when the state decides to infringe on your activities because you are becoming a thorn by the side, say like an activist journalist. They know everything about you and your behavior pattern, places you visit etc. Its not so hard to imagine such data being used to demolish political opponents or even activists.

The state is elected by you and me.
If you vote into power people that are going to abuse power, then the fact that your cat is a youtube star is your last problem.
I come from a former communist country ,i f the government wants to enforce something, they will do this without the help of social media.
20 tanks rolling in the streets will make you rethink what's most important in life.

You talk about treating cancer rather that preventing it.
Lets take the cat out of the equation..LOL..

My argument was that indiscriminate and voluntary use of social media, amazon, google etc. allows for constant surveillance and monitoring. This makes it possible for the state to have control over the lives of individuals that can be considered to be politically sensitive targets.

You have lived in a communist country so you must be well aware of what the state apparatus can do with brute force and how political opponents can be targeted. How it can be dangerous to profess your opinions in public.

The catch is that infringement on privacy allows the state to have the same level of control while maintaining the facade of being a completely democratic one. That is in fact a much more dangerous situation.

I don't think its so simplistic. Normal people like you and me gradually become part of this machinery that determines how the world runs. When the people in power no everything and monitor everyone, their are subtle ways that information can be used to their advantage without anybody noticing. Maybe facebook doesn't want your data. But having all of it stored in their servers is a potential mine from where patterns can be derived.
You may call it paranoid but the level of false information that is being fed to reinforce viewpoints is undeniable. This is being made possible by targeted delivery of news and ads. You only ever see the things that their "algorithm" thinks will gain the most clicks form you or the most view time. You surrender yourself as a consumer because you only ever see what they show you. Where is the chance to expand your horizons and make mistakes then.
So, One really shouldn't brush off privacy concerns. They affect all of us and have far reaching consequences.

Just as I said above.
If you allow people that are going to abuse power to reach positions of power you are the only one to blame.
Not showing your taste in cars or food on social media won't solve the problem, nor will laws about your privacy.
Prevent the situation, don't try to solve problems that shouldn't be there in the first place.

You are absolutely right that "Citizens are to be blamed if they allow wrong people to get to power". But then you are choosing to completely ignore the effect that 21st century media has.
This argument assumes that human judgement remains untouched by the flurry of information and bombardment of sensational imagery by social media and media in general.

I suggest you take a look at this article about how investigating agencies think that Russian troll farms targeted particular demographics during the US elections.
Activity: 700
Merit: 350
Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard
February 17, 2018, 07:46:10 PM

Although I would say that privacy should be a major concern among internet users, I'm forced to believe that the majority of users simply don't care. If you just look at the normal behavior of a Facebook user, that posts in a lot of information that should be private, and they do it in a public manner, then I would say that they don't really care much about how Facebook stores their data. Most of them don't even know how facebook does that, and they don't believe that once you say something in the internet, it will stay there forever, even if you delete it form the platform you used to post it.

That is something that should be of great concern to everyone, because it might not mean much now, but imagine if some dictator manages to form a government in a big country. They might trace back everything you said years ago, and make you pay for it. This is an extreme example, but everything we say can be used against us in the future, and that's why we should protect our privacy.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
February 17, 2018, 07:18:00 PM
Today, we use a lot of social networks, typically Facebook, which collects most of the user's personal information such as location, interests, friendships, even the need to show ads. I remember once I talked to my friends about a product, then visited Facebook and saw ads about that product, did Facebook use the right to use the microphone to hear my talk?   Huh Huh Huh

Lol, are they already doing this? I wouldn't doubt about it, but are you sure you didn't search for this product on the internet? Maybe that could be the reason you have seen this product's ads on Facebook. Right after searching for the product on Google or any other shopping site (because of cookies)...

Anyway, it's really disgusting how Facebook collects everyone's personal informations. It's already time for a new decentralized social media arises and become the main popular platform. I can even fell Facebook's site too heavy on my laptop, heavy because they are full of cookies and secondary apps running all the time to not miss any information about you...
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000
February 17, 2018, 06:47:00 PM
I think along with google, facebook and the usual suspects I think Coinbase can't be too far behind, they are dominating their market right now.
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
February 17, 2018, 06:42:44 PM
Today, we use a lot of social networks, typically Facebook, which collects most of the user's personal information such as location, interests, friendships, even the need to show ads. I remember once I talked to my friends about a product, then visited Facebook and saw ads about that product, did Facebook use the right to use the microphone to hear my talk?   Huh Huh Huh
Activity: 336
Harmony for One and All
February 17, 2018, 05:11:13 PM
wow i just thingking the internet are realy scary and all of those big companies have our data
Pages:
Jump to: