Pages:
Author

Topic: Craig Wright relents aka Satoshi (air quotes) in Public Apology! - page 7. (Read 8965 times)

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
His reputation along with Gavin's is tarnished.

To be fair to Gavin it looks like he wasn't really paying attention to how Wright was playing things and now admits he got it wrong:
https://dankaminsky.com/
Quote from: Gavin Andresen in reply to Dan Kaminsky
    Yeah, what the heck?

I was as surprised by the ‘proof’ as anyone, and don’t yet know exactly what is going on.

It was a mistake to agree to publish my post before I saw his– I assumed his post would simply be a signed message anybody could easily verify.

And it was probably a mistake to even start to play the Find Satoshi game, but I DO feel grateful to Satoshi.

If I’m lending credibility to the idea that a public key operation should remain private, that is entirely accidental. OF COURSE he should just publish a signed message or (equivalently) move some btc through the key associated with an early block.

Feel free to quote or republish this email.

"early block"? No, not good enough! Any block other than the genesis block could have been mined by someone else. Gavin should know you can't move the coins from the genesis block, so the only option is a signed message from the genesis block.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I still don't understand what was is motivation for this, and I assume he knew this lie would be very short lived...

I believe that he genuinely thought he could pull it off by carefully timing Gavin & co public announcement about SN true identity and his own blog post. He didn't realize his complicated cryptographic "proof" was so easy to debunk. Additionally he had to assume that the real SN wouldn't post any message disputing his identity.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
Lauda, I know Gavin and Matonis give you nightmares in your dreams but there is no reason to be upset with them. They saw proof in person that was clearly convincing, and furthermore his personality fit with who they thought was satoshi. As much as you'd love to turn this into a smearfest against Gavin, I'm afraid it just doesn't hold up to water. You can't get upset with someone for having a personal opinion.
Incorrect. Personally, I have nothing against either one of them. However, my argument stands: Either both have been conned quite easily (i.e. they are too naive) or they have both been part of that 'plan' and signed an NDA. We might never know. In any case, there was a high chance that Gavin would have given CW control over the project (if he could). At least that is what he said a few years back about Satoshi. I do not understand why you would let them off so easy (people who helped spread this unfortunate event)?

Exactly. Gavin's commit access should not be restored. He represents a tangible security risk. The willingsness of Gavin and Matonis to sign a NDA alone disqualifies them from taking part in the Bitcoin Core project any further. One may specualte what other NDAs they may have signed...

Talking about personality, Craig Wright to me seems like a highly narcissistic person. That doesn't fit to the personality of Satoshi at all. From all evidence we have, Satoshi was never an attention seeker.

ya.ya.yo!
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1036
Additionally, we must never forget what Matonis and Andersen have done. To the real Satoshi, whoever (&& wherever) you are, we do not need to know.

Well, I'd like to offer a caveat to that. While I don't think we ever need Satoshi to step forward in real life and identify himself, there is still the possibility that he or an inheritor will someday want to utilize the ~1 million coin fortune that he holds - perhaps for a philanthropic project or for investment in a worthwhile business startup, for example. As the Wright episode has shown, even the slightest rumor of a "Satoshi sighting" can move the market without proof - now imagine how the market might react if the coins really did start moving?

It would be prudent and courteous (to put it very mildly), therefore, for Satoshi to give everyone a heads up prior to taking any action. Not a press conference or anything. Just a post here or in a similar public forum with appropriate proof (similar to Charles Lee's litecoin demonstration) to prove the authenticity of the post, outlining briefly his plans to move/spend some or all the coins, with some idea of the timeframe involved and method of transaction (an auction would make much better sense than crashing the markets).

Again, Satoshi wouldn't need to reveal his real world identity. Just authenticate a message and let people know what (in general terms) what he plans to use the bitcoin for, and that he's not abandoning it or signaling that Bitcoin has failed.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
They saw proof in person that was clearly convincing, and furthermore his personality fit with who they thought was satoshi.

This scenario is made impossible because of this Dave Kleiman guy and also the fact the Craig Wright is totally clueless about any technical issue related to bitcoin.

The closest possible person in here for Satoshi is Dave Kleiman, not Craig Wright.

If the person Gavin communicated with on 2009 and 2010 was really Craig Wright, how did not Gavin notice back then that he is communicating with someone that is totally clueless?

On the other hand If Gavin in 2009 and 2010 communicated with Dave Kleiman as Satoshi how did he get fooled in 2016 to think that the personality of Craig Wright matches with what he knew as Satoshi, ie Dave Kleiman?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Lauda, I know Gavin and Matonis give you nightmares in your dreams but there is no reason to be upset with them. They saw proof in person that was clearly convincing, and furthermore his personality fit with who they thought was satoshi. As much as you'd love to turn this into a smearfest against Gavin, I'm afraid it just doesn't hold up to water. You can't get upset with someone for having a personal opinion.
Incorrect. Personally, I have nothing against either one of them. However, my argument stands: Either both have been conned quite easily (i.e. they are too naive) or they have both been part of that 'plan' and signed an NDA. We might never know. In any case, there was a high chance that Gavin would have given CW control over the project (if he could). At least that is what he said a few years back about Satoshi. I do not understand why you would let them off so easy (people who helped spread this unfortunate event)?
legendary
Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

Additionally, we must never forget what Matonis and Andersen have done. To the real Satoshi, whoever (&& wherever) you are, we do not need to know.

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
so we have a new target. 21 20 millions in existence ever.
Activity: 45

Ok this is strange? so now we get nothing? i dont understand what could be the difference now if he does provide real proof.  Surely everyone is watching his actions either way at this point?

Dr. Wright tries to come out as Satoshi, but can not bear the toxicity of this community. Unlike mankind's second greatest prophet, he is not willing to suffer on the cross.

But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Is that even him? Domain creation date for http://drcraigwright.net/  is 02/15/2016 .
That was my first thought as well. This looks like B.S. And i don't think it's the same domain as his real website.

it is indeed. I checked today wikipedia and it was the same domain before and after the update.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Steven_Wright
Oh yeah, you are right. It is apparently him. Well this ends it for me. This dude is not Satoshi. So far the only thing I have seen that supports his claim is his claim.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
What on earth is going on this is fooked up........ Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
While I'm tired of CW threads, this one seems okay as it is good to hear that this annoyance is (hopefully) going away from the Bitcoin ecosystem. People that have responded to this have obviously gotten this "apology" all wrong. This is the classic sociopath play. He is unable to provide the adequate proof (after being exposed) and now he tries to play the victim. Stop falling for his bullshit already.

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
Weird

Greed, Fear, and Narcissism can cause some pretty weird actions. Fear is kicking in now.  Shocked
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Ok this is strange? so now we get nothing? i dont understand what could be the difference now if he does provide real proof.  Surely everyone is watching his actions either way at this point?
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
the personality that shines through his ​​posts, is clearly telling me that this guy can not be satoshi, and never will be

satoshi was high tech and very intelligent, all i see here is a moron that is trolling
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

so Matonis knows the real SN is deceased already? did CSW tell him the whole story about David Alan Kleiman?
Activity: 45
Think about it - if you were purchasing a domain with your name in the title, why would you register it using an anonymous registrant to hide your name?

Forgot to tick-off default option "Protect my privacy for 5.99$ per year" maybe?

That's one perfectly plausible explanation Smiley
It couldn't possibly be anything like

My guess is wishful thinking. Never change, bitcointalk, never change...

http://s32.postimg.org/4kyedmged/Capture.png

not really sure where you're going with this. so you're saying that craig can deny his ties to the domain? what would that do? his claims on satoshi's identity were recorded in a video.

Not suggesting that he did not claim to be Satoshi. Merely that not everything posted on the internet can be taken at face value. If he needed to claim that he is not the author of that apology, he easily could.
And, of course,
< >The BBC understands that this tweet signifies that Mr Matonis still believes Dr Wright is indeed Satoshi.

"A lot more people in the Bitcoin community are going to be unconvinced of Dr Wright's claims than will believe he is Satoshi, based upon what's happened to date," commented Dr Garrick Hileman, an economic historian at the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance.

"But many of the doubters don't want to be convinced. Satoshi has been mythologised and if you pull back the curtain, you shatter a lot of people's fantasies.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
Kind of disappointing.
Expected a more spectacular finish.
This one is lousy. No thumbs up for the author.

No, no really. I expected nothing more.
The whole case and Craig's strange approach, beating around the bush, not confirming anything, not revealing EASY and the most believable evidence -
such as simple signed message of Satoshi's early address was enough of confirmation of a hoax.

And so what is his motivation  Huh

To destroy Matonis and Andresen?
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
Pages:
Jump to: