Pages:
Author

Topic: CraPE v0.3 beta - Boot from USB - Win8 PE Based Mining OS - page 3. (Read 37404 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
FYI I don't think it's possible to run anything past V.6 of Team Viewer in WinPE...and Team Viewer is even more annoying in this situation because they always want you to update.
Just add Team Viewer portable version the C drive. It'll run, but I'm not sure how to configure it for an unattended setup. I did check it out as a possibility at one point, but in the end TightVNC was a much simpler option.

These apps might help you out:

RegFromApp: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/reg_file_from_application.html

Registry Rapper (lol I wonder if they mispelled that on purpose): http://portableapps.com/development/projects/registry_rapper[/img]]

You want to start from scratch or edit this build? C: is writable even while you're running it, so you can delete or add anything that you want. As for drivers you have to load those offline, it's not very difficult though. You just have to get DISM from Windows ADK for Windows 8.0 (aka Winpe4.0).

For your driver package you'll want to find the 3 files for each driver; a .cat, a .sys, and a .inf

Open Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment. Mount /sources/boot.wim to a folder on your C: drive (you can even do this directly from the USB). Ex:

Code:
Dism /mount-wim /wimfile:F:\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount

Add drivers:

Code:
dism /image:c:\mount /add-driver /driver:C:\Path\to\Driver\Folder /Recurse /ForceUnsigned  (/recurse adds drivers from subfolders)

Unmount, save

Code:
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount /commit

That's it.

If you want to start from scratch with a Winbuilder project, check out these projects from http://theoven.org/

Actually I'd suggest building a PE yourself without winbuilder, at least at first. This guy's guide to make a basic build from scratch is the clearest WinPE guide I've seen written: http://reboot.pro/topic/19156-create-a-bootable-winpe-50-x64-usb-drive/

After following that guide, WinPE and DISM made a lot more sense to me in general.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Thanks!!!

Quick question, can you help me out and make a winpe like this one with teamviewer pre installed as well as Nvidia drivers and cudaminer 2014-02-04 release?

I'd send you a generous tip if you do so. Same with the one you just uploaded, is there an easy way to run teamviewer with it?

The issue is more with my connection at the moment, I normally have a 40/4 connection but since it's basically useless right now I have to piggyback on a neighbor's wifi. Unfortunately the only neighbor who will let me do this is still using DSL  Undecided

Bitcasa is stupid because it told me the file had finished uploading, only in reality it wasn't even close to completing. Uploading to Google Drive right now, about 40% of 1GB done after about 3 hours...

Bought a year subscription with Bitcasa about a year ago. Wow do they suck.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Stupid Bitcasa, hold on I'll try to fix it

Thanks! Cheesy
Stupid Bitcasa, hold on I'll try to fix it
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Ok the squirrels stopped chewing on my cables long enough to let me upload the image:

CoinHub_x86-Alpha: http://l.bitcasa.com/tphfCfnr

I started from scratch with this one, as opposed to using Crazyrates' build. A couple of his start-up script ideas are still there, mainly "startupconfig.bat" and "StartCG.bat", though I've changed a lot of what's in them. I used Win8PE (a winbuilder project) and a Windows 8.0 source disk to get going, then used Windows ADK (AIK?) 8.0 to  to tweak things around (mainly DISM). All of these things can be downloaded for free.

Features:

- I put as much as I could in the persistent drive (apps, etc). That way you can save/modify things without having to mount it offline. The persistent drive should default to C: if there isn't a drive already system C: drive on your rig (which I'm guessing there isn't, or why else would you be interested in a live usb OS).

- The drivers for AMD Catalyst 13.12 are on there, as well as the apps from the Catalyst Control Center. You can run the installer for CCC mounting the C:\ATI_13.12.iso and selecting C: for your install point. Honestly I'm not really eactly which parts of CCC we want or need (except the drivers of course), maybe somebody can help out with that.

- One thing I hate about BAMT is that all the guides say "Burn BAMT to a USB stick. Insert USB stick into rig and boot up. Use SSH/RDP to log in..." WTF!! how about the part where the BAMT knows our router's SSID and password? I don't know about you guys but I moved my noisy ass rig as far away from my room as I could, so there's no ethernet connection. I don't even have an extra screen I can hook up temporarily, my only screen is a 27" flatscreen. Anyways after you burn this to a usb, boot it up from a computer with a screen. When it starts up, go to PENetwork and connect to your router's wifi. Save the profile to C:\, and leave it named as "PENetwork.ini". This way, when your headless rig boots up it'll already know your routers ID and password. Also if you use a USB-wifi on your rig you should plug that in too, to make sure the drivers are installed. If they're not you'll have to add them offline using DISM.

- RDP: TightVNC loads automatically on startup. A reg file is imported to set it for no password. You can then add a password once you're in, but it won't stick after a reboot. The reg file is C:\PortableApps\TightVNC\vnc_nopassword.reg, you should be able to edit this file to get some persistent security settings.

- C:\Miners: There's a bunch of stuff in here, I don't know what's fully compiled to work right out of the gate and what needs compiling and additional files. I don't really know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to building instances of CGminer (I don't really know what I'm doing period, I'm not a software developer/guru), so if anybody has anything to contribute in this area I'm sure myself and others would appreciate it.

- There's a better start menu where you can customize everything, click the lame start menu and go system tools->Classic Shell->ClassicStartMenu.exe.  

To do:

- Figure out how to get your ClassicStartMenu settings to survive a reboot  Cheesy

- Get rid of redundant/duplicate files and folders

- Clean up the startup scripts for a cleaner load, and booting into a CG monitor and miner (specific monitor and miner to be configurable by the user

- Make this useful for Bitcoin hardware as well

- Get some miners working

- Get CGWatcher to work (I'm ticked this one isn't working!)

Right if someone finds someone that's not working and knows a fix, by all means have at it and share it with the community. Like I said I don't really know what the hell I'm doing in the first place Grin

Looks like you're making progress - but can't get the link to work, like the others!
You do...downloading now. Thanks!!! Will tip you if it works well.

EDIT: damn, same...404 Sad
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Do you need to sign up for downloading? It seems an ugly 404 appears when you click on d/l button Sad
same here :-/
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
Do you need to sign up for downloading? It seems an ugly 404 appears when you click on d/l button Sad
Ok the squirrels stopped chewing on my cables long enough to let me upload the image:

CoinHub_x86-Alpha.2:http://l.bitcasa.com/NmHiMoN2

I started from scratch with this one, as opposed to using Crazyrates' build. A couple of his start-up script ideas are still there, mainly "startupconfig.bat" and "StartCG.bat", though I've changed a lot of what's in them. I used Win8PE (a winbuilder project) and a Windows 8.0 source disk to get going, then used Windows ADK (AIK?) 8.0 to  to tweak things around (mainly DISM). All of these things can be downloaded for free.

Features:

- I put as much as I could in the persistent drive (apps, etc). That way you can save/modify things without having to mount it offline. The persistent drive should default to C: if there isn't a drive already system C: drive on your rig (which I'm guessing there isn't, or why else would you be interested in a live usb OS).

- The drivers for AMD Catalyst 13.12 are on there, as well as the apps from the Catalyst Control Center. You can run the installer for CCC mounting the C:\ATI_13.12.iso and selecting C: for your install point. Honestly I'm not really eactly which parts of CCC we want or need (except the drivers of course), maybe somebody can help out with that.

- One thing I hate about BAMT is that all the guides say "Burn BAMT to a USB stick. Insert USB stick into rig and boot up. Use SSH/RDP to log in..." WTF!! how about the part where the BAMT knows our router's SSID and password? I don't know about you guys but I moved my noisy ass rig as far away from my room as I could, so there's no ethernet connection. I don't even have an extra screen I can hook up temporarily, my only screen is a 27" flatscreen. Anyways after you burn this to a usb, boot it up from a computer with a screen. When it starts up, go to PENetwork and connect to your router's wifi. Save the profile to C:\, and leave it named as "PENetwork.ini". This way, when your headless rig boots up it'll already know your routers ID and password. Also if you use a USB-wifi on your rig you should plug that in too, to make sure the drivers are installed. If they're not you'll have to add them offline using DISM.

- RDP: TightVNC loads automatically on startup. A reg file is imported to set it for no password. You can then add a password once you're in, but it won't stick after a reboot. The reg file is C:\PortableApps\TightVNC\vnc_nopassword.reg, you should be able to edit this file to get some persistent security settings.

- C:\Miners: There's a bunch of stuff in here, I don't know what's fully compiled to work right out of the gate and what needs compiling and additional files. I don't really know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to building instances of CGminer (I don't really know what I'm doing period, I'm not a software developer/guru), so if anybody has anything to contribute in this area I'm sure myself and others would appreciate it.

- There's a better start menu where you can customize everything, click the lame start menu and go system tools->Classic Shell->ClassicStartMenu.exe.  

Install:

1. Extraxt .7z file

2. Write ISO to USB with Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. Rename USB stick "WIN8PESE"

4 Profit

(alternatively, you can just try and extract the iso onto the USB stick)

To do:

- Figure out how to get your ClassicStartMenu settings to survive a reboot  Cheesy

- Get rid of redundant/duplicate files and folders

- Clean up the startup scripts for a cleaner load, and booting into a CG monitor and miner (specific monitor and miner to be configurable by the user

- Make this useful for Bitcoin hardware as well

- Get some miners working

- Get CGWatcher to work (I'm ticked this one isn't working!)

Right if someone finds something that's not working and knows a fix, by all means have at it and share it with the community. Like I said I don't really know what the hell I'm doing in the first place Grin

Also: Original CraPEv03 with TightVNC unattended setup and updated miners: http://l.bitcasa.com/MxaNaKZ0 (Works fine with 6xxx and 7xxx cards)

And Original Crapev03, same as above but with a lot of apps moved over to the persistent drive, allowing edits to survive reboot: http://l.bitcasa.com/PLmAtx0Z (Good for using MSI-AB or Trixx)
thanks for your work!
I just tried CraPE v0.3 and got a newer cgminer to work (after sgminer failed because of MSVCR120.DLL / Visual Studio Build)

now is there any way to remote into that machine? e.g. how do I get a resistant tightVNC on there, that will remain through reboot?

also it would be cool if GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1 was set already, have to do it manually right now ;-)

Best thing to do is write the whole thing to a USB stick using an utility like YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/). Then you can run the apps you want without a problem. I've had a success with RealVNC and a port of Radmin without a glitch. Trying to run Teamviewer though was an issue not yet resolved...

Be sure your USB stick is FAT32 formatted and named as "WIN8PESE" in order for the scripts to run.

Cheers.

Huh

what does your reply have to do with my question?

I am using it already, and I know how to edit scripts...
my question was, how do I get programs to be resistant?

Download Windows ADK, use DISM to mount boot.wim to a folder on your C: drive, go in and make your changes, then unmount /commit.

It's a complete pain in the ass if you just want to make some small changes  Smiley

The version I'm trying to upload right now has more apps/scripts in the persistent drive, so you can edit them on the fly. TightVNC loads at startup (default no password) as well.
I just tried CraPE v0.3 and got a newer cgminer to work (after sgminer failed because of MSVCR120.DLL / Visual Studio Build)

now is there any way to remote into that machine? e.g. how do I get a resistant tightVNC on there, that will remain through reboot?

also it would be cool if GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1 was set already, have to do it manually right now ;-)

Best thing to do is write the whole thing to a USB stick using an utility like YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/). Then you can run the apps you want without a problem. I've had a success with RealVNC and a port of Radmin without a glitch. Trying to run Teamviewer though was an issue not yet resolved...

Be sure your USB stick is FAT32 formatted and named as "WIN8PESE" in order for the scripts to run.

Cheers.

Huh

what does your reply have to do with my question?

I am using it already, and I know how to edit scripts...
my question was, how do I get programs to be resistant?
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.

Cheers.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018
HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com
Newbie miner here, just built my first GPU mining rig on a budget with a 6950 and two 6870s.  Was struggling hard with BAMT...gave this a shot and seems to be working! Props to the builder, now I can relax some. Sucks going through the whole process of finding parts and building, only to have the rig sitting in front of you doing nothing.

Cgminer wasn't working out of the gate (kept getting an error message, something like "libcurl4.dll is missing", so I downloaded cgminer 3.7.2 and replaced it in the CGMINER folder in the w: drive, ran cgminer from the command prompt, and it worked.

Only thing now is to get the autorun features happening. A lot of the files were orginally named with 8 character limits, (like "CGMINE~1.CON" and "CGMINE~0" instead of "Cgminer-ltc.conf"), I don't think this is optimal?

I saw the same thing even when I tried to use NFTS instead of FAT32.  Do I need to get an updated copy of cgminer?  Could I simply use BFGminer instead?
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
You gotta know the secret handshake.

Or I'll just PM you  Grin
LOL Tongue  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: