Pages:
Author

Topic: CraPE v0.3 beta - Boot from USB - Win8 PE Based Mining OS - page 4. (Read 37404 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
You gotta know the secret handshake.

Or I'll just PM you  Grin
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I would like also to betatest your release, how can I join?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
I'm putting the finishing touches on a build here. Using Winbuilder, the goal being to get a configuration setup so that all people basically have to do is download my custom Winbuilder project, download their own source from Microsoft, point Winbuilder to the source and hit "Play" to produce an ISO. That should deal with any proprietary issues, plus it gives people a lot less to look through if they're concerned about viruses/backdoors and whatnot (though what's the worse someone could do on your headless mining rig, make you mine sexcoin at 3 am?  Grin)

Will have .NET 4.0 installed, so will be able to use CGwatcher or MobileMiner. AMD Catalyst 13.12 has run successfully at startup when testing in a VM, though it remains to be seen what happens when I actually boot it in my rig. Getting the drives to boot up with the same letter so other people can use this build without having to modify the paths of every script has been proving to be a pain (WinPE just seems to name drives whatever it feels like), as is getting any help from the forums at reboot-pro or theoven.org  Undecided.

Anyways, anybody willing to test it out in a day or two? Especially 270-290 cards...

I have been modding your first release for sometime now and I have been able to mine with my 2x5970s Maxcoins pretty successfully. I'm willing to betatest this. I'm using gimagex to build my isos, preferring Gandalf's original "no press any key" boot up file. It's nowhere near complete -that's why I didn't publish this yet- but I have been able to install RealVNC server, a portable Firewall and other (licensed) stuff (totalcmd, ms office 2003, vlc player, to name a few). You can now locally remote control the rig plus you have a cold wallet generation ability through BitcoinQT into RAM.

PM me if interested.
I'm putting the finishing touches on a build here. Using Winbuilder, the goal being to get a configuration setup so that all people basically have to do is download my custom Winbuilder project, download their own source from Microsoft, point Winbuilder to the source and hit "Play" to produce an ISO. That should deal with any proprietary issues, plus it gives people a lot less to look through if they're concerned about viruses/backdoors and whatnot (though what's the worse someone could do on your headless mining rig, make you mine sexcoin at 3 am?  Grin)

Will have .NET 4.0 installed, so will be able to use CGwatcher or MobileMiner. AMD Catalyst 13.12 has run successfully at startup when testing in a VM, though it remains to be seen what happens when I actually boot it in my rig. Getting the drives to boot up with the same letter so other people can use this build without having to modify the paths of every script has been proving to be a pain (WinPE just seems to name drives whatever it feels like), as is getting any help from the forums at reboot-pro or theoven.org  Undecided.

Anyways, anybody willing to test it out in a day or two? Especially 270-290 cards...
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
i am unable to run CGminer with my ATI 6950 , the device is not detected by CGminer but windows recognize it well

does someone know what i should install please for make it work properly ?

thx you
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Quick question: can I download a different cgminer for say maxcoin or vertcoin and run it on this Os?
Yes; just place it under the /mining directory on the root of your CD/iso

Thanks a lot! Will try some vertcoin mining with it and post back with results.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
Quick question: can I download a different cgminer for say maxcoin or vertcoin and run it on this Os?
Yes; just place it under the /mining directory on the root of your CD/iso
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
hey, that was not against your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.

but as you know that beside this great community there are quite a few people that are looking for quick opportunities.
all I want is make people aware of who they trust, and who they install software from...
e.g. I could "fork" your software, put some trojan bot miner in there and post the downloadlink as a "second server"... it would be so easy...
just want to make people aware of the risk involved.

keep doing you great job!
legendary
Activity: 952
hi, two questions:

how does the licensing work? windows is not open source nor free...

has anybody checked for malware? hidden mining/backdors, etc?
this would be a perfect way to scam^^
First, the official Windows usage for Win PE:
Windows PE is not a general-purpose operating system. It may not be used for any purpose other than deployment and recovery. It should not be used as a thin client or an embedded operating system. There are other Microsoft products, such as Windows Embedded CE, which may be used for these purposes.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825110.aspx

Second, feel free to check all of the startup scripts and config files. I'm not nearly smart enough to include anything malicious, let alone hide it!
I might try, will report results i a new thread (and post some info here).
thanks for the effort...

has anybody "just installed" (i know it is tricky) windows 7/8 to a USB drive? even if the setup is slightly more tricky, it gives you a full regular desktop... I might try next weekend... (but then, a cheap ssd is only 50 bucks ;-)
(sorry, not supposed to hijack your efforts/thread, but I guess around here would be the best chance to get some first hand experience)

I was gonna try that, using vmware, found a guide but it's a lenghty process.
thanks for the effort...

has anybody "just installed" (i know it is tricky) windows 7/8 to a USB drive? even if the setup is slightly more tricky, it gives you a full regular desktop... I might try next weekend... (but then, a cheap ssd is only 50 bucks ;-)
(sorry, not supposed to hijack your efforts/thread, but I guess around here would be the best chance to get some first hand experience)
Here download a source disk for yourself from Microsoft: http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/5/3/C/53C31ED0-886C-4F81-9A38-F58CE4CE71E8/9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X86FRE_ENTERPRISE_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_CENA_X86FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

Anybody who downloads Windows ADK from Microsoft has the necessary files to make a WinPE build. Technically, as someone above pointed out, this doesn't make it open source freeware that you can go crazy with.  But considering all the websites and software that have sprung up around making WinPE builds (http://reboot.pro/, http://theoven.org/index.php, http://winbuilder.net/, http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/intro/, http://windowsmatters.com/tag/winpe/) with people freely sharing what they've done, I don't think stamping out people who tinker with their Preinstallation Environment is very high on Microsoft's hit list.

WinPE itself is very limited (at least without some tweaking), it's nothing like a real copy of Windows. I'm still plugging away trying to make a good build for mining, if/when I finish I've got no problem giving a copy to anyone who wants one.

Although maybe I put a virus in it....
hi, two questions:

how does the licensing work? windows is not open source nor free...

has anybody checked for malware? hidden mining/backdors, etc?
this would be a perfect way to scam^^
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Oh, great news. I hope we really could have a 64 bits version soon.
Activity: 210
Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
Ok tell me in plain english, will this work with R9 280x cards ? I so desperately need a stripped version of Win7/8 right now that can be run through usb for mining.  Undecided

To OP, Im sure miners will tip you like mad if you can give this just a day every month and get a new release. Cross post to litecointalk, will help get it across.

Edit: something wrong with the current link too, download resulted in error after 80%
Well I got the 13.12 Catalyst drivers on there. Still getting issues with the GPU mapping though.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Yeah, I'm realizing that I took the CraPE image and am now using it in a way completely unlike you guys, who are probably using it for mining, so are getting the driver kinks out.
What I did was just install PortableApps Chrome, throw in bfgminer and the necessary Block Erupter driver (my only mining device is a Block Erupter, and I rarely encounter a decent GPU on the devices I use).
With this setup, I just use it as my normal-everyday OS when I'm using foreign devices.

But please do keep in note, for people out there downloading WAIK and using it to make their own OS's, it is a violation of Microsoft's license to use Win PE as a general-purpose OS.
Hey all. I would love to update this, but I just don't have the time. I started a complete rebuild, with such features as being 64bit, newer drivers for the 280x/290/290x, SGMiner 4.0.0, and newer utilities for undervolting.

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far, due to the previously mentioned lack of time. That, and I don't personally have any GPUs of my own to work with right now. Any GPUs we've been hashing with are the companies, and they won't let me bring some home to play with. Greedy bastards.

I do have a 280x and a 290 being delivered hopefully soon, so I may catch the bug again, and make myself make time.

I will include a few links that I found very helpful when editing and packaging the boot.wim file.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824972.aspx
http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2349-guide-adding-drivers-to-a-custom-winpe-30/

After the drivers were injected, you still have to do a hwpnp scan for PCI devices, and it installs the driver then. CraPE 0.3 does this on boot up. You can look through the startup scripts to find more info.

Not sure, but I don't think this method installs the OCL runtime like the old ones did, so even if you got the drivers recognized, any newer R9 hardware won't mine. Still have to look into a solution for this.

No worries, you contributed what you could. Thanks for the links. I did add the driver files but I didn't add this to the startup script:

Code:
drvload inf_path [,inf_path [...]] [/?]

If the files are all there, think that would get us updated?

It was pretty annoying, after working on this thing for like a week cgminer started reading my cards in the wrong slots. And since none of the --gpu-map options worked, all the info I found on this problem said that the only fix was to update your drivers, lol.

Pages:
Jump to: