Pages:
Author

Topic: CraPE v0.3 beta - Boot from USB - Win8 PE Based Mining OS - page 6. (Read 37404 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
Just tried it. Threw a remote desktop app called AmmyyAdmin in windows\system32. I'm connected. Smiley
Seen to have lost admin rights when I booted up though...

The admin issue is not a problem. You can mount it offline and see if you can change/reset Admin pass with an offline utility. As for myself; It seems I have a corrupted image then... I can't get another explanation.  Is there a direct link you can trust?

EDIT: I found the latest Gandalf's iso (November 2013 I think) and downloaded it; I will investigate later.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I did some progress. I have used RealVNC off my USB stick and managed to have remote access to the machine. I have done everything you said above, but it's not possible to alter the SPECIFIC wim file of the this release. I guess I have to build my very own. Undecided

imagex /mountrw?

I'm willing happily to cooperate with the OP here if he wants to. I am working outside the wim file for now (added some portable apps I need and RealVNC as previously stated). Unfortunately NO mounting tool is able to read/write this wim file. Imagex has it mounted but system asks formatting it reading is as "bad disk". No clues there. Have you been able to mount it yourself and/or alter stuff inside?

Just tried it. Threw a remote desktop app called AmmyyAdmin in windows\system32. I'm connected. Smiley

Seen to have lost admin rights when I booted up though...
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
I did some progress. I have used RealVNC off my USB stick and managed to have remote access to the machine. I have done everything you said above, but it's not possible to alter the SPECIFIC wim file of the this release. I guess I have to build my very own. Undecided

imagex /mountrw?

I'm willing happily to cooperate with the OP here if he wants to. I am working outside the wim file for now (added some portable apps I need and RealVNC as previously stated). Unfortunately NO mounting tool is able to read/write this wim file. Imagex has it mounted but system asks formatting it reading is as "bad disk". No clues there. Have you been able to mount it yourself and/or alter stuff inside?

imagex /mountrw?
Activity: 626
Merit: 500
Mining since May 2011.
Maybe you can work with crazyates on that and get it added to a new build? Due to the locations we have to put these noisy heat generators, without remote access to a rig, it's a non starter for most.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
This app is also good for opening up a .wim and poking around: http://dismgui.codeplex.com/downloads/get/623176

(Windows ADK required I believe)
Hey thanks for this. Worked like a charm on my 5970. I'd like to be able to automate more stuff though. Is there a way to alter the wim file? Never done this before and (apart from mining) there are great possibilities regarding such a usb based thing (Tor implementation, wallet intergration etc).

I've been messing with this myself, trying to make a build that has remote access and some other features I'd like. I'm still new to PE stuff so don't shoot me if this doesn't work out, but if you want to alter the OP's build:

1. Download/install Windows ADK http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652

2. Extract OP's ISO to a folder on your C drive(root) drive. (I'll call it C:\CraPE)

3. Make a new folder in your C: drive (I'll call it C:\mount

4. Open Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment as an Administrator. Run this command:

Code:
imagex /mount C:\Crape\sources\boot.wim 1 C:\mount

Everything that is in the OP's boot.wim should now be available to edit in your folder c:\mount. To save:

Code:
imagex /unmount c:\winpe_x86\mount /commit

I actually haven't been using the Windows ADK directly, I've been using a program called Winbuilder to work on a build from scratch. There's a forum http://reboot.pro/) built around Winbuilder where people share their custom scripts and stuff, also Winbuilder has a feature built in that lets you download different projects and scripts from different servers.

This guy's guide and downloads gets you a fresh Win8 x68 iso plus winbuilder with some basic building scripts: http://aljo.comeze.com/win8pe/Win8PEguide.html
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
Hey thanks for this. Worked like a charm on my 5970. I'd like to be able to automate more stuff though. Is there a way to alter the wim file? Never done this before and (apart from mining) there are great possibilities regarding such a usb based thing (Tor implementation, wallet intergration etc).
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Tnx.Going to test on mine 7870...
legendary
Activity: 1551
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#
can i mix 7950 and 280x ?
And i forgot to mention that adding multiminer would be a really valuable asset

Happy to assist if needed. The requirements are pretty light (.NET Framework 3.5).

This would be great. I'm sticking with this build because it's getting me much higher hash rates than linux-based builds.

I've gotten Anubis to work with this build which is nice because I can monitor everything, but a frontend for cgminer that lets me change pools or tweak a setting or two would be ideal. Multiminer looks pretty great, I know it only works with bfgminer but I could make the switch if I could have some control over my miner remotely.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I've got amd 64 x2 on asus a8n-e m/b but the os didn't see videocards. In device manger it looks like Video controller(VGA copmatible).
Can u help?
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Is there anybody with the PE development package who can create me a default WIM sources file with nothing added and nothing removed?

EDIT: Not needed anymore.
Activity: 812
Have you gotten either of those to work on CraPE?

I feel like 2/3 of the comments on this thread are complaints that there's no remote desktop access...

I haven't tried yet but I'll give a shot and post again.
Have you gotten either of those to work on CraPE?

I feel like 2/3 of the comments on this thread are complaints that there's no remote desktop access...
Activity: 812
All right well, the lack of remote access for this build is starting to get to me, because I'd like to move my rig out of my room as soon as possible. Does anybody have any workarounds? Even a cheap monitor solution - all I need is something to be able to tweak the rig if need be without dragging it all the way back to my room to plug it in my main monitor (carrying a 36" monitor to my rig every time it needs tweaking isn't really a viable option).

What about something like iDisplay for Android? It apparently can work with a USB connection. I tried it on CraPE but couldn't get it to install properly...

y no teamviewer or vnc?
All right well, the lack of remote access for this build is starting to get to me, because I'd like to move my rig out of my room as soon as possible. Does anybody have any workarounds? Even a cheap monitor solution - all I need is something to be able to tweak the rig if need be without dragging it all the way back to my room to plug it in my main monitor (carrying a 36" monitor to my rig every time it needs tweaking isn't really a viable option).

What about something like iDisplay for Android? It apparently can work with a USB connection. I tried it on CraPE but couldn't get it to install properly...
Newbie miner here, just built my first GPU mining rig on a budget with a 6950 and two 6870s.  Was struggling hard with BAMT...gave this a shot and seems to be working! Props to the builder, now I can relax some. Sucks going through the whole process of finding parts and building, only to have the rig sitting in front of you doing nothing.

Cgminer wasn't working out of the gate (kept getting an error message, something like "libcurl4.dll is missing", so I downloaded cgminer 3.7.2 and replaced it in the CGMINER folder in the w: drive, ran cgminer from the command prompt, and it worked.

Only thing now is to get the autorun features happening. A lot of the files were orginally named with 8 character limits, (like "CGMINE~1.CON" and "CGMINE~0" instead of "Cgminer-ltc.conf"), I don't think this is optimal?
brand new
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
I can't seem to run Teamviewer, for some reason.  It just won't start.
Can't get it to work either. I think VNC will work, but I haven't had much time to test it. I'm working 60hrs/week, plus another ~10 at the church, and then I need some family time.

I was actually kinda glad the forum went down for a while. Gave me a break haha!

Hi crazyates,

First thank you for sharing this great project with us.
I really appreciate.
I'm trying to get best results from my R9280X, but I can't with drivers that you integrated.
Can you please tell us how to integrate newer driver (13.12) in boot.wim
I already tried to this manually, with dism, ... but without success.

Thanks!

Pages:
Jump to: