Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptopia exchange hacked - page 7. (Read 4052 times)

Activity: 553
Merit: 500
March 21, 2019, 06:07:15 PM
Risk Management.  

You've done your due diligence:  unique email/pass, 2FA, VPN. 

No such thing is "safe".

There are only 2 types of companies: those that have been hacked, and those that will be hacked.

Activity: 503
Merit: 286
March 21, 2019, 04:36:48 PM
The e-mail they sent was disgusting. Not even a single apology in it. It's as if they think they did nothing wrong, when their incompetence was extreme. I got the impression from the email that they want to go on as if it's business as usual. And they don't care about the customers. Did anyone else get this impression? I am not going to use cryptopia for any trading.

What should they apologize for? 

That some shitty dev made some shitty code that got exploited?
or that you left your coins on an exchange and not in your private wallet?

I think they handled this quite well. 

People have responsibility to secure their coins, but companies have responsibility for security. Are you saying that companies have no responsibility for security?? You rely on security for every company you interact with.
Activity: 2996
Merit: 609
March 21, 2019, 03:47:56 PM
The lost funds are replaced with the CLM token as a loss marker. The exact method of how this will work they haven't announced yet.
That's B****hit.
If clients get their hands on their lost balance as a single token (CLM) all at the same time,
its price will decrease drastically after the obvious "sell race™" that users will do to get their preferred "exit coin".

I still prefer the 100% free haircut over an ECR20 token.
Sell race would definitely happen specially into these kind of situations but surely later on that token will gradually increase it price.So,holding it for sometime might really be worthy if you aren't
on a rush nor panicked to sell out directly once its compensated.

They are really trying not to ruin their business as best as they can and I can really see their efforts.
Activity: 553
Merit: 500
March 21, 2019, 12:33:01 PM
The e-mail they sent was disgusting. Not even a single apology in it. It's as if they think they did nothing wrong, when their incompetence was extreme. I got the impression from the email that they want to go on as if it's business as usual. And they don't care about the customers. Did anyone else get this impression? I am not going to use cryptopia for any trading.

What should they apologize for? 

That some shitty dev made some shitty code that got exploited?
or that you left your coins on an exchange and not in your private wallet?

I think they handled this quite well. 
Activity: 1316
Merit: 514
March 21, 2019, 12:28:55 PM

What can you expect, They been silence for almost 2 months and in those day's not a single apology from the CEO of cryptopia.

Right now they are probably afraid of the mass exodus when they open the withdrawal of the top cryptocurrency.
Activity: 503
Merit: 286
March 21, 2019, 12:24:57 PM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1103
This is what I do. I drink and I know things.
March 21, 2019, 12:18:58 PM
The lost funds are replaced with the CLM token as a loss marker. The exact method of how this will work they haven't announced yet.

They replace them to all the users? Because i don't see any CLM tokens in my balance...

their communication has been bad but overall the way they have handled the situation so far has good.  they are facing up to their obligations to customers, its not perfect but its better than the alternative.

It's true that they didn't act as well as they possible can, at least in terms of communication with us.
Indeed the reopening is good news but it would have been better, if it were operating normally and not in "View Only" mode.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
March 21, 2019, 03:29:02 AM
That's B****hit.
If clients get their hands on their lost balance as a single token (CLM) all at the same time,
its price will decrease drastically after the obvious "sell race™" that users will do to get their preferred "exit coin".

it'll probably get dumped hard as soon as the CLM market opens. the same thing happened with the BFX token when bitfinex issued it. the people running for the exits will all dump immediately. but after that it'll probably recover significantly. despite the urge to dump, i'd probably try to hold for better days and focus on my liquid capital. if they make a couple of small (~1%) payments in the first couple months, people will regain a lot of faith and the CLM market may pay off over time.
legendary
Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010
March 20, 2019, 11:31:58 PM
That's B****hit.

u could take a gamble that Cryptopia will save itself and those CLM will be bought back by them one day.   Undecided

their communication has been bad but overall the way they have handled the situation so far has good.  they are facing up to their obligations to customers, its not perfect but its better than the alternative.
legendary
Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010
March 20, 2019, 11:28:44 PM
Everyone suffers the a haircut on their balance

Based on discord

BTC = 14% Haircut
LTC = 43% Haircut
ETH = 100% Haircut

And based on this figure they lost more than ETH and ETH tokens.

Trading resumed in some market but still NO WITHDRAWAL

My mistake guys, unfortunately you are both right... Cry
So we get a haircut instead of compensation? Nice strategy, will keep a lot of us there when they start working normaly...

its not a lost marker, its a token representing the NZD value of the coins at the time of the hack.  a loss marker would be a token that is equal 1:1 to the actual crypto that was stolen.  eg: 1 CLM_A = 1 LTC, 1_CLM_B= 1 ETH.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
March 20, 2019, 10:07:39 PM
That's B****hit.

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
March 20, 2019, 08:32:46 PM

Based on discord

BTC = 14% Haircut
LTC = 43% Haircut
ETH = 100% Haircut

So we get a haircut instead of compensation? Nice strategy, will keep a lot of us there when they start working normaly...

legendary
March 18, 2019, 01:13:15 PM

Based on discord

BTC = 14% Haircut
LTC = 43% Haircut
ETH = 100% Haircut

March 18, 2019, 12:51:09 PM
As far as i recall/remember they confirm that losses involves ETH and one or two ETH tokens.
I just check my account and it shows the same balances. The only difference is that all my open orders have been canceled and not by me.

And i wonder... If they canceled all the open orders of all their customers, then how books still have open orders and are not at 0? Undecided

Based on discord

BTC = 14% Haircut
LTC = 43% Haircut
ETH = 100% Haircut

legendary
March 18, 2019, 11:17:59 AM
From my amount of BTC-Funds at Cryptopia 14% were taken.
14.0489% BTC was lost in the January 2019 event. 0.

I didnt even know any BTC were stolen, thought it were only ETH and ETH-tokens.
Maybe they haircut all coins?

As far as i recall/remember they confirm that losses involves ETH and one or two ETH tokens.
I just check my account and it shows the same balances. The only difference is that all my open orders have been canceled and not by me.

And i wonder... If they canceled all the open orders of all their customers, then how books still have open orders and are not at 0? Undecided
Activity: 1651
Merit: 863
March 18, 2019, 03:00:39 AM
From my amount of BTC-Funds at Cryptopia 14% were taken.
14.0489% BTC was lost in the January 2019 event. 0.

I didnt even know any BTC were stolen, thought it were only ETH and ETH-tokens.
Maybe they haircut all coins?
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
March 18, 2019, 02:33:15 AM
I just received an email from cryptopia regarding their stand to this "hacking" incident. [March 18]
It's pretty much the same as the link on the post above. ^

Here are some parts of the email:
DID YOU KNOW???

Cryptopia, the New Zealand-based cryptocurrency exchange that was the target of two hack attacks in January, is gearing up for relaunch by taking new steps. In what could be a novel development for a cryptocurrency exchange, Cryptopia announced on 11 March, the option for users to cancel orders.
Reported for Plagiarism.
Reference Link: https://ambcrypto.com/cryptopia-allows-users-to-cancel-orders-as-it-prepares-for-re-launch/
March 17, 2019, 11:08:01 PM
They are hoping to resume their service by the end of this month, Again HOPING. Playing safe before dropping any date.

If you held balances in coins that were lost in the event you will start to see Withdraws on your account for those coins. The TXID for the withdraw will not exist on the network but will detail how the coin was impacted in the event. For each withdraw you will also see a subsequent deposit of Cryptopia Loss Marker(CLM), the TXID for this will also not exist on a network but will detail the coin it represents a loss for. CLM is not a coin, it can't be traded as yet, it is just a number in the database that represents the loss for each coin for each user in $NZD at the time of the event. There are still steps to take to ensure we are taking a legal path toward reimbursement.

We will be emailing you again shortly with more details around the rebates and the projected dates for trading to be active again. Please be aware, we are hoping to achieve this by the end of the month.

Source: https://support.cryptopia.co.nz/csm?id=kb_article&sys_id=48613b3cdb50338032a664a14a9619ba
legendary
March 17, 2019, 03:20:59 PM
They keep posting useless after useless updates just to keep their customer entertain.

You are right. If they want to entertain us, let it open normally. Cool
Only one update with the full opening/funcionality date, would be enough.

You forget about their scheduled outage today Cheesy

It's like a day menu... "what we have today, Chef? Anything new?" Roll Eyes Grin
March 15, 2019, 09:28:13 AM
Possibly it will take a couple of months  Huh

"As we prepare to open we have secured 35% of coins on our exchange to new wallets. We need to complete this exercise fully prior to opening the exchange."

https://twitter.com/Cryptopia_NZ/status/1106030832009895937

You forget about their scheduled outage today Cheesy

I have to commend who ever thinks of these updates  Grin
They keep posting useless after useless updates just to keep their customer entertain.
Pages:
Jump to: