Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 1337. (Read 3058812 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Nah...  pretty sure in that scenario, the SHA-256 dude would get sweet F.A. You need hashpower to discover the blocks, regardless of the algo. The 1PH Scrypt network would find everything, except in the most bizarrely lucky of situations.

Except he was wrong.  Each algo would have it's own difficulty thus if you were the only one on SHA256 you would get the same amount of coins as the total of the Scrypt miners. 

Its really quite simple the way the Dev explained it  "Imagine that DigiByte is 5 different coins in one. Only 1/5th of all DigiBytes can ever be mined by the SHA algo. So if you have a SHA ASIC you still are competing for 100% of SHA-256 DigiByte coins."

Yeah, on further contemplation...  I realised my mistake...

All good.  Just want everyone to understand how it works! 

What should happen after things shake out is each of the algos will be about evenly mined so there is not a huge advantage to one or another as far as rewards/difficulty goes. 
Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Nah...  pretty sure in that scenario, the SHA-256 dude would get sweet F.A. You need hashpower to discover the blocks, regardless of the algo. The 1PH Scrypt network would find everything, except in the most bizarrely lucky of situations.

Except he was wrong.  Each algo would have it's own difficulty thus if you were the only one on SHA256 you would get the same amount of coins as the total of the Scrypt miners. 

Its really quite simple the way the Dev explained it  "Imagine that DigiByte is 5 different coins in one. Only 1/5th of all DigiBytes can ever be mined by the SHA algo. So if you have a SHA ASIC you still are competing for 100% of SHA-256 DigiByte coins."

Yeah, on further contemplation...  I realised my mistake...

Activity: 274
Merit: 101
We pulled the new Murraycoin icons out of the source - going to make it tricky for DigiByte to steal them this time  Wink

LOL
You do have a firm understanding of what open source is don't you??? Wink

That would mean you "stole" from bitcoin and litecoin.
Tongue

lol! +1

Also, we edited all the icons and changed the colors so they were unique to the DigiByte wallet.

I was joking, fellas. By including them in our source they certainly fell under the open umbrella. DigiByte is one of the few coins in the new class that I respect. The original Murraycoin icons were all made in-house and look great - the fact that you guys are using them just shows you have good taste. If we hadn't switched to a new "golf" theme, we'd still be using them as well.

Whoops, sorry guys my bad Lips sealed Smiley
RJF
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Online since '89...
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051
Official DigiByte Account
We pulled the new Murraycoin icons out of the source - going to make it tricky for DigiByte to steal them this time  Wink

LOL

Tongue

lol! +1

Also, we edited all the icons and changed the colors so they were unique to the DigiByte wallet.

I was joking, fellas. By including them in our source they certainly fell under the open umbrella. DigiByte is one of the few coins in the new class that I respect. The original Murraycoin icons were all made in-house and look great - the fact that you guys are using them just shows you have good taste. If we hadn't switched to a new "golf" theme, we'd still be using them as well.
lol! Smiley You guys did a great job with them! Might have to check the new wallet out!
Activity: 490
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

LOL

Tongue

lol! +1

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051
Official DigiByte Account

LOL

Tongue

lol! +1

Activity: 274
Merit: 101

LOL

Tongue

Activity: 490
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer
We pulled the new Murraycoin icons out of the source - going to make it tricky for DigiByte to steal them this time  Wink

=> the Sha256 miner gets with his notebook as much coins as all 10k scrypt miners together.

Might this not discourage people from mining on unpopular algos?  I mean if I was the only person mining SHA256 & thus getting very little reward, surely I would move that miner to another, more profitable coin. We may end up with just 2 or 3 of the 5 algorithms being used. Or being used to any great extent that is.

legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

=> the Sha256 miner gets with his notebook as much coins as all 10k scrypt miners together.

Might this not discourage people from mining on unpopular algos?  I mean if I was the only person mining SHA256 & thus getting very little reward, surely I would move that miner to another, more profitable coin. We may end up with just 2 or 3 of the 5 algorithms being used. Or being used to any great extent that is.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Jared,
 Have you all made a decision on which the 4th and 5th algorithms will be? Has there been any communication with that specific community to cause more awareness for DGB?

On a side note, I am really impressed by the professionalism and dedication to this coin. It's actually quite refreshing with all the other "shell" coins. This has the legs of a real runner in the space. A few things and we could cause some major impact. The holders of this coin won't be upset. I also don't think you will see these giveaway prices anymore either.

YC
Also, try thinking of it this way. Imagine that DigiByte is 5 different coins in one. Only 1/5th of all DigiBytes can ever be mined by the SHA algo. So if you have a SHA ASIC you still are competing for 100% of SHA-256 DigiByte coins.

Edit: There is a huge secondary market for SHA-256 ASICs we are looking to tap into. Many people still have some laying around that are no longer economical to mine Bitcoin with.
Hmm, ok. Every algo has its own difficulty. Therefore it can be much more profitable to mine on the algo with the lowest hash compared to what your hardware is able to.

Lets say:

Scrypt: 10000 miners with total of 1 Petahash/s Smiley
Sha256: 1 CPU miner with 100kh/s

=> what are the requirements to run a 51% attack? Given the example above, if there was a 3rd "unpopular" hashing algo, could this guy start another notebook on it and then control 2/3 of the network and perform a 51% attack?

Notice: this are just mind experiments and it is very very unlikely that only 1 miner will work on one algo! I just give this example for sake of simplicity.

Yes the SHA256 miner would get just as much as all of the Scrypt miners combined as Scrypt and SHA256 will have individual difficulties. 
Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
What do you mean by switch?

As in there are a bunch of cloud mining services, eobot being one that I use, that are all pointed at Bitcoin. If they could be convinced to transfer their SHA mining to DGB, it would go a long way towards securing the network. Given BTC's difficulty, I've sent several emails to eobot suggesting other more profitable coins to mine. Each time they reply in the negative.
Activity: 984
Also, try thinking of it this way. Imagine that DigiByte is 5 different coins in one. Only 1/5th of all DigiBytes can ever be mined by the SHA algo. So if you have a SHA ASIC you still are competing for 100% of SHA-256 DigiByte coins.

Edit: There is a huge secondary market for SHA-256 ASICs we are looking to tap into. Many people still have some laying around that are no longer economical to mine Bitcoin with.
Hmm, ok. Every algo has its own difficulty. Therefore it can be much more profitable to mine on the algo with the lowest hash compared to what your hardware is able to.

Lets say:

Scrypt: 10000 miners with total of 1 Petahash/s Smiley
Sha256: 1 CPU miner with 100kh/s

=> what are the requirements to run a 51% attack? Given the example above, if there was a 3rd "unpopular" hashing algo, could this guy start another notebook on it and then control 2/3 of the network and perform a 51% attack?

Notice: this are just mind experiments and it is very very unlikely that only 1 miner will work on one algo! I just give this example for sake of simplicity.
Activity: 786
RJF
Activity: 616
Online since '89...

Yep, that would be me!  Smiley
Jump to: