Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 1427. (Read 3058809 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Should we re-brand DigiByte?

According to Article 1 Section 8 of the US constitution no one but the federal government can coin money or make currency. Since we are an American based team we have come to the consensus we are technicality violating our own constitution.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

We are considering completely dropping any reference to the term currency and re-branding Digibyte as a "Professional decentralized crypto payment system."

When we try and describe what a crypto currency is we often get the deer in the head lights look. But recently we have been trying the approach "Digibyte is like a faster, cheaper more efficient form of PayPal." This seems to be something people can relate to and understand.

Essentially we want to start promoting DigiByte as a payment platform for merchants were we send bytes back and forth and not so much as a "currency" per say.

Technically the same horse, but new name. Same care, new paint job. This may be a way to separate DigiByte from the other "coins." What are your thoughts?

That sounds like a good idea.  It's funny how a simple rephrase of things can tremendously alter people's outlook.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051
Official DigiByte Account
Should we re-brand DigiByte?

According to Article 1 Section 8 of the US constitution no one but the federal government can coin money or make currency. Since we are an American based team we have come to the consensus we are technicality violating our own constitution.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

We are considering completely dropping any reference to the term currency and re-branding Digibyte as a "Professional decentralized crypto payment system."

When we try and describe what a crypto currency is we often get the deer in the head lights look. But recently we have been trying the approach "Digibyte is like a faster, cheaper more efficient form of PayPal." This seems to be something people can relate to and understand.

Essentially we want to start promoting DigiByte as a payment platform for merchants were we send bytes back and forth and not so much as a "currency" per say.

Technically the same horse, but new name. Same car, new paint job. This may be a way to separate DigiByte from the other "coins." What are your thoughts?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Activity: 338
Can you explain to me how DigiShield helps improve the current exploit with KGW?
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Excuse me for my noob question,

But if Digibyte uses things like ASIC Resistant, X11 and stuff isnt that gonna affect transaction speed?
And isnt it more insteresting for merchants to say Digibyte has the fastest transaction speed and is the most secure?

I mean if you can only choose one direction (i dont know if u can combine all), then i would choose improving on speed and security.
For a coin to be accepted as new currency to pay for stuff, isnt speed and security the way to go?
because i dont really see merchants gonna say "YES! this coin uses x11 and/or is ASIC Resistant that is so important for our shop and customers"

Just thinking out loud and hoping someone could inform this noob  Smiley

PS i know its good for miners, but i dont see why that would make make the world gonna accept cryptocurrency as new payment.

I also believe that the speed and security is the value beyond most people concern
Activity: 658
Merit: 534
The 'rush' has been explained in detail multiple times.

What is the rush?
YC

I forgot to mention that other POS coins are copying blackcoins idea of a multipool causing more and more scrypt coins to go down the shitter...these POS coin multipools are like the Mt. Goxes of altcoins.....these pools mine the most profitable scam scrypt coin then dump it on an exchange, convert it into bitcoin then use the bitcoin to buy blackcoin....once those funds convert into blackcoin they can no longer be extracted from blackcoin via mining. I see the biggest risk to scrypt right now are these POS multipools, the ASIC and FPGA risk is major as well but not as urgent to deal with as with these multipools....Does anyone else know how we can address these risks with something other than an X11/POS hybrid for digibyte? I'm sure there are other possibilities....I mean digishield was phenomenal, maybe we can customize something with a similar punch?

As much as I'd like to wait things out, Digibyte is getting dumped daily. Maybe we can take the risk and switch over to X11 to stop multipools for now. The FPGA threat has yet to be an issue for the X11 coins as there isn't a big enough profit incentive for them yet. If we switch to X11 its not likes it forever. We can always switch algorithms to whatever the other X11 coins decide to switch to IF FPGAs are an issue.

The decline in price isn't exactly due to multipools dumping. Digibyte needs to gain some real world traction and gain some investors. They can do this by creating real life applications for Digibyte which is what they are focusing on currently. Switching it to X11 will gain some interest from miners though as running X11 during the summer makes dealing with rig heat much easier.

PS: As I'm nearing the end of my research paper on what determines bitcoin's value, the key explanatory variable has been trade volume. To increase trade volume you need to create some interest in the coin. Digibyte has been flying under the radar a little more than usual
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
What is the rush? Why are the most of the folks mining looking to make thin margins? The constant jumping from coin to coin seems like a lot of effort for minimal gain. What are folks doing to generate buzz about DGB? At the end of the day, no matter how much Jared and his team do to improve the coin, it will continue to stay where the price is because nobody outside of the community knows about it or understands it.

The algorithm in my opinion needs to be addressed, but no matter how it plays out, there will be a side of the community that will be pissed off because it didn't benefit them. The research paper that Omar is working on discusses volume and liquidity, yet these points don't warrant anything to increase it.

YC

I forgot to mention that other POS coins are copying blackcoins idea of a multipool causing more and more scrypt coins to go down the shitter...these POS coin multipools are like the Mt. Goxes of altcoins.....these pools mine the most profitable scam scrypt coin then dump it on an exchange, convert it into bitcoin then use the bitcoin to buy blackcoin....once those funds convert into blackcoin they can no longer be extracted from blackcoin via mining. I see the biggest risk to scrypt right now are these POS multipools, the ASIC and FPGA risk is major as well but not as urgent to deal with as with these multipools....Does anyone else know how we can address these risks with something other than an X11/POS hybrid for digibyte? I'm sure there are other possibilities....I mean digishield was phenomenal, maybe we can customize something with a similar punch?

As much as I'd like to wait things out, Digibyte is getting dumped daily. Maybe we can take the risk and switch over to X11 to stop multipools for now. The FPGA threat has yet to be an issue for the X11 coins as there isn't a big enough profit incentive for them yet. If we switch to X11 its not likes it forever. We can always switch algorithms to whatever the other X11 coins decide to switch to IF FPGAs are an issue.

The decline in price isn't exactly due to multipools dumping. Digibyte needs to gain some real world traction and gain some investors. They can do this by creating real life applications for Digibyte which is what they are focusing on currently. Switching it to X11 will gain some interest from miners though as running X11 during the summer makes dealing with rig heat much easier.

PS: As I'm nearing the end of my research paper on what determines bitcoin's value, the key explanatory variable has been trade volume. To increase trade volume you need to create some interest in the coin. Digibyte has been flying under the radar a little more than usual
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
hey guys , does anyone here has a sapphire 280x dual x 11221-07-20G graphic card, I am having problems with it ,
when I use GUI miner 0.04 I get 700KHs only TC 8192 works  
when I use GUI miner 0.05 I get 550KHs only TC 11200 works
when I use CGminer 3.7.2  I get 650KHs only TC 8192 works

I tried everythnig to tweak it , my defaults are 1020/1500 1.225V  72C, when I increase the GPU core clock the hashrate falls ,
there are a lot of peple who claim they got 720-750 KHs by just increasing the core to 1080MHz and lowering the voltage ,
but I tried it out and get 500-600KHs ,  

Activity: 392
@digibyte

when do you send me the information for the promo video?
legendary
We just removed CryptoRush from all our links & lists of exchanges.
Activity: 1034
Merit: 500
One solution could be using a system similar to myriadcoin, we let all the algos in the coin and each of them has it's own difficulty. This way we could keep scrypt, and implement X11, and others also.
Can we get cryptorush deleted from the list of exchanges please? They are officially insolvent: http://pastebin.com/eLkPxLWi    please do it before anyone else is a victim. thx

Yea there's really no time to think about it unfortunately. This is one of those things that needs to be done immediately.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003
We need to change our algorithm ASAP !!!!

Most definitely X11 algorithm or a POS if possible...maybe an X11/POS hybrid...is that easy to code? I doubt it but it would lead the way since X11 and POS are the future of crypto, there's a reason why X11 and POS coins are going up in price right now. The bottom line is that we need to adapt a new algorithm otherwise we will be left in the dust, which of course won't happen. Digibyte has the best developer of any coin, that's why I jumped onboard from day 1.

do not change to N scrypt or Jane Scrypt. (see paragraphs below as to why to not chose N scrypt, i obtained them from Hirocoin website). Once ASICs come out in full force, only 1 or 2 scrypt coins will thrive and many other scrypt coins will die off. N Scrypt is good the only problem is that GPUs can't mine them profitably (because of high RAM requirements) and ASICS won't focus on them because they are very resistant to ASICS obviously so then if GPU and ASIC cannot secure the network for N Scrypt coins then what will keep the network going?....X11 has 4x the hash rates, uses very little electricity and is extremely secure using a series of several algorithms....

There other hash solutions out there the best known of these being Scrypt-Jane and Adaptive-N which for the most part are the same. They both use a variable N factor which is locked to 210 in Scrypt. This is the memory requirement, 210 works out to 1024 bytes. Vertcoin a very popular Adaptive-N coin currently uses an N factor of 211 which works out to 2048 bytes, every time the N factor goes up the performance of miners drops by half. Vertcoin currently has half the performance of Scrypt and has a maximum N of 232 which works out to 4GB, most graphic cards cannot even do work at that level and with the current hash rate the difficulty of Vertcoin could not go low enough to support that level of N. Scrypt-Jane and Adaptive-N may be ASIC hostile but they are also GPU hostile.

There is an alternative that has been largly over looked which was created by Even Duffield. This is the chap who created DarkCoin which looks to include the DarkSend feature that will allow anonymous transactions. X11 uses 11 well known and high performing hashing solutions chained together to generate the hashes required to generate new blocks. Since it uses 11 different hashes it is complex and unlikely to see a ASIC for it any time soon. The good news for miners is that they can use X11 right now to avoid multipools and start gathering coins that are going to become very important when the Scrypt ASICs hit. Mining X11 gives 3-4 times the hash power of Scrypt, uses less energy and generates more heat. This is the solution that people have been looking for.

There is also Hirocoin that has launched recently and adopted X11 as its hashing solution. Hirocoin does not have the DarkSend feature but has been meticulously coded and fully featured on launch including DNS seed and binaries for different platforms. DarkCoin uses an inverse difficulty reward which means that the higher the difficulty the lower the reward. More miners means less coins, Hirocoin is more conventional in that it has 400 coins a block and is likely to be the first choice for miners.

While we understand your urgency there are several things that need to be analyzed first. This is not a move we want to make without doing our homework. It could have disastrous consequences.

For those who are new to the crypto community there was a type of mining hardware developed for mining Bitcoin before ASICs known as FGPAs. They were essentially an improved, specialized graphics card the only worked for mining Bitcoin mainly used in 2012 beginning of 2013. They were rendered obsolete by Bitcoin ASICs but there are still a lot of them out there with nothing to do at the moment.

We have heard some reports of people using FGPA's to mine X11. We need to verify whether this is possible or not as this would give a very tiny part of the crypto community a huge mining advantage.

Yes, I think homework definitely needs to be done on this FPGA issue, but unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone mining X11 with them.

If Digibyte were to make a move to X11 I think it would be another selling point as the power usage of scrypt networks is massive. Having changed one of my miners over to Hirocoin (X11) I am now in a position to run it through the summer here, whereas I would've had to remove a card or two so that I can turn my A/c on w/out blowing my apartments circuit breaker. If you can get Digibyte on X11 or variant that would be a big plus in my opinions. (also because Hirocoin profitability sucks & I want to get back to Digi lol)
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
I believe in the development team and the founder of DGB. What we as a community need to do is get the word out on other channels. Spread the word that Jared is speaking at the CryptoCurrency Convention in New York! This should be everywhere!

YC
Activity: 71
Merit: 0
I've been impressed with the way the Digibyte team is going about things. This is definitely a coin to hold onto going into the year. I look forward to any news regarding the X11 algorithm. It seems like it is the right choice, but the FPGA issue must be looked into first.

Give the Digibyte team time to figure out what they need.
legendary
We need to change our algorithm ASAP !!!!

Most definitely X11 algorithm or a POS if possible...maybe an X11/POS hybrid...is that easy to code? I doubt it but it would lead the way since X11 and POS are the future of crypto, there's a reason why X11 and POS coins are going up in price right now. The bottom line is that we need to adapt a new algorithm otherwise we will be left in the dust, which of course won't happen. Digibyte has the best developer of any coin, that's why I jumped onboard from day 1.

do not change to N scrypt or Jane Scrypt. (see paragraphs below as to why to not chose N scrypt, i obtained them from Hirocoin website). Once ASICs come out in full force, only 1 or 2 scrypt coins will thrive and many other scrypt coins will die off. N Scrypt is good the only problem is that GPUs can't mine them profitably (because of high RAM requirements) and ASICS won't focus on them because they are very resistant to ASICS obviously so then if GPU and ASIC cannot secure the network for N Scrypt coins then what will keep the network going?....X11 has 4x the hash rates, uses very little electricity and is extremely secure using a series of several algorithms....

There other hash solutions out there the best known of these being Scrypt-Jane and Adaptive-N which for the most part are the same. They both use a variable N factor which is locked to 210 in Scrypt. This is the memory requirement, 210 works out to 1024 bytes. Vertcoin a very popular Adaptive-N coin currently uses an N factor of 211 which works out to 2048 bytes, every time the N factor goes up the performance of miners drops by half. Vertcoin currently has half the performance of Scrypt and has a maximum N of 232 which works out to 4GB, most graphic cards cannot even do work at that level and with the current hash rate the difficulty of Vertcoin could not go low enough to support that level of N. Scrypt-Jane and Adaptive-N may be ASIC hostile but they are also GPU hostile.

There is an alternative that has been largly over looked which was created by Even Duffield. This is the chap who created DarkCoin which looks to include the DarkSend feature that will allow anonymous transactions. X11 uses 11 well known and high performing hashing solutions chained together to generate the hashes required to generate new blocks. Since it uses 11 different hashes it is complex and unlikely to see a ASIC for it any time soon. The good news for miners is that they can use X11 right now to avoid multipools and start gathering coins that are going to become very important when the Scrypt ASICs hit. Mining X11 gives 3-4 times the hash power of Scrypt, uses less energy and generates more heat. This is the solution that people have been looking for.

There is also Hirocoin that has launched recently and adopted X11 as its hashing solution. Hirocoin does not have the DarkSend feature but has been meticulously coded and fully featured on launch including DNS seed and binaries for different platforms. DarkCoin uses an inverse difficulty reward which means that the higher the difficulty the lower the reward. More miners means less coins, Hirocoin is more conventional in that it has 400 coins a block and is likely to be the first choice for miners.

While we understand your urgency there are several things that need to be analyzed first. This is not a move we want to make without doing our homework. It could have disastrous consequences.

For those who are new to the crypto community there was a type of mining hardware developed for mining Bitcoin before ASICs known as FGPAs. They were essentially an improved, specialized graphics card the only worked for mining Bitcoin mainly used in 2012 beginning of 2013. They were rendered obsolete by Bitcoin ASICs but there are still a lot of them out there with nothing to do at the moment.

We have heard some reports of people using FGPA's to mine X11. We need to verify whether this is possible or not as this would give a very tiny part of the crypto community a huge mining advantage.
Jump to: