Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 814. (Read 3058816 times)

Activity: 591
Merit: 501
Scavenger of Crypto Sorrow
It's funny actually, I saw someone mention NeoScrypt would be a good option earlier who was in the "for camp" for an algo change. I'm guessing they aren't aware an ASIC manufacturer has already prototyped a working NeoScrypt Miner with very good hashrate. It just hasn't gone into consumer level production (yet) because there aren't any NeoScrypt crypto's worth enough to build a market from that can turn a profit on the cost of production. I also remember the cry's of defiance when Scrypt came out about how it would take many years before ASIC's became a threat, fact is it took a hell of alot less time than anyone had anticipated.

It's easy to say, show us a proof of this. I don't see even X11 ASICs which are even easier to make.
Activity: 245
Merit: 250
I think it's a good thing that our community has been discussing and engaging with the relevance of DGB.  As much as I've been following the conversation for the past few days, I haven't felt any dire need to worry much.  We've seen some major selling.  Sure.  Some of that is from large stakeholders - members like 0o0o.  There's nothing wrong with that from my perspective.  It's good to reassess and redistribute holdings on a regular basis.

We've also seen some sharply critical questions and ideas.  Again, nothing wrong with that.  It's good to critically question and engage.  And, my personal belief is that our community is stronger as a result.

Here's the way I see it.  The exchange value has obviously gone down over the past couple of weeks.  Prior to that we had been stuck trading in a range.  I don't bother to predict price bottoms or price cycles anymore.  I do think there were some people who attempted to take advantage of the downward pressure for personal profit.  To those people I would simply say that I don't respect greed as a motivation. Greed and fear spread like disease.  But, it is what it is.   We make the world that we live in.  We can make a world filled with greed and fear or we can make a world filled with ideas that inspire us to seek out value, and opportunity, and equity.

However, the underlying fundamentals of DigiByte have not changed.  The underlying fundamentals of DigiByte are stronger today than they were yesterday - and they are going to be stronger and more secure tomorrow than they are today.  So, we have a moment of opportunity because the intrinsic value of DGB, and the current development work, is more valuable today than in the past.  I'm looking forward to the coming months.

PS.  To Jumbley.  Welcome back old friend.  Glad to have your humor and ideas back in our discussion.
Activity: 245
Digihash has stopped paying again, and Scrypt seems to be completely offline from a stats perspective even though I'm throwing over 100Mh at the pool.... Currently 110 pending blocks for Scrypt alone. I want to help DGB by using Digihash but it's hard not to mine on other pools or even solo as I have to with my larger rigs when the service is so flaky.

Please devs, this happens constantly with Digihash, my vote is to devote time to improving basic services such as this in the immediate term.... We can all panic about impending doom from the attack of evil ASIC's later on IMO....  Many thanks in advance!

Yep. I noticed this too.  I'm not sure when it went down ... sometime late yesterday? 
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
Digihash has stopped paying again, and Scrypt seems to be completely offline from a stats perspective even though I'm throwing over 100Mh at the pool.... Currently 110 pending blocks for Scrypt alone. I want to help DGB by using Digihash but it's hard not to mine on other pools or even solo as I have to with my larger rigs when the service is so flaky.

Please devs, this happens constantly with Digihash, my vote is to devote time to improving basic services such as this in the immediate term.... We can all panic about impending doom from the attack of evil ASIC's later on IMO....  Many thanks in advance!
I think it is imperative to start here, especially as we need to attract a lot of small hashers and this is the best place to have them, for the community at large.
The impending doom does need to take a back step and this is a good place to start. The evil asic attack, imo, started a long time ago but it is slowly sucking the blood out of us like a parasite. It is time we got frontlined! Smiley

I agree it's an issue Jumbley, completely agree infact, but for the people crying for an algo change.... changing algo's is essentially just a measure of security by obscurity which can only serve to assist in the short term at best IMO. Obscurity in itself is a bad place to be when you're trying to go mainstream. Look at BTC, still SHA, and still the strongest crypto out there.There are other ways to deal with the issue at hand, and as I've already mentioned I think DGB is one of the first to do just that, atleast in part. Maybe we just need to boost the amount of already administered frontline Wink

The thing I don't get (and maybe someone can enlighten me), is why people believe a change to an obscure algorithm is going to solve anything in the longterm? If a computer can mine an algo, then dedicated hardware can be made to do the same job with greater efficacy, it's a really simple concept. For the life of me I don't understand the hand-to-mouth mentality of an algo change if people are really interested in the longevity of the coin.

Why do we have SHA and Scrypt ASICs? Simple... Because it's worth it thanks to BTC and LTC. The only reason we don't have ASIC's for other algos is because there's no money in it. So let's apply a little bit of basic logic.... I'm guessing the people for an algo swap feel that this will create security for the coin and as a result it will grow in value. Let's assume that very thing happens and DGB grows to a formidable market price. What do these people think the next algo the ASIC manufacturers will go after? Are we going to keep bouncing from algo to algo finding the most obscure we can think of to avoid ASICs? And do people not see that very algo hopping mentality will do more damage to DGB than the algo in question, especially at higher market values???

It's funny actually, I saw someone mention NeoScrypt would be a good option earlier who was in the "for camp" for an algo change. I'm guessing they aren't aware an ASIC manufacturer has already prototyped a working NeoScrypt Miner with very good hashrate. It just hasn't gone into consumer level production (yet) because there aren't any NeoScrypt crypto's worth enough to build a market from that can turn a profit on the cost of production. I also remember the cry's of defiance when Scrypt came out about how it would take many years before ASIC's became a threat, fact is it took a hell of alot less time than anyone had anticipated.

There are far bigger fish to fry if DGB is going to grow into a mainstream currency, and I wish we could all move on from the panic of "WE NEED TO CHANGE ALGO'S NOW OR WE'LL BE ATTACKED AND THE COIN IS DOOMED!" and address those issues first. I'll say no more on the topic Wink
You won't find me arguing with you there digitaldoxy, as I said in an earlier post, asics are the 'holy grail' and is what makes any coin insurmountable from a security point of view if they can achieve enough of the network. We just need to achieve enough of that network and it is down to the community to do it somehow. This is the biggest challenge that we face and it is a particularly difficult one. Every little asic added to digihash helps but it really is a piss in the ocean. We all need to piss in it!
Activity: 91
Merit: 10

I think it is imperative to start here, especially as we need to attract a lot of small hashers and this is the best place to have them, for the community at large.
The impending doom does need to take a back step and this is a good place to start. The evil asic attack, imo, started a long time ago but it is slowly sucking the blood out of us like a parasite. It is time we got frontlined! Smiley

I agree it's an issue Jumbley, completely agree infact, but for the people crying for an algo change.... changing algo's is essentially just a measure of security by obscurity which can only serve to assist in the short term at best IMO. Obscurity in itself is a bad place to be when you're trying to go mainstream. Look at BTC, still SHA, and still the strongest crypto out there.There are other ways to deal with the issue at hand, and as I've already mentioned I think DGB is one of the first to do just that, atleast in part. Maybe we just need to boost the amount of already administered frontline Wink

The thing I don't get (and maybe someone can enlighten me), is why people believe a change to an obscure algorithm is going to solve anything in the longterm? If a computer can mine an algo, then dedicated hardware can be made to do the same job with greater efficacy, it's a really simple concept. For the life of me I don't understand the hand-to-mouth mentality of an algo change if people are really interested in the longevity of the coin.

Why do we have SHA and Scrypt ASICs? Simple... Because it's worth it thanks to BTC and LTC. The only reason we don't have ASIC's for other algos is because there's no money in it. So let's apply a little bit of basic logic.... I'm guessing the people for an algo swap feel that this will create security for the coin and as a result it will grow in value. Let's assume that very thing happens and DGB grows to a formidable market price. What do these people think the next algo the ASIC manufacturers will go after? Are we going to keep bouncing from algo to algo finding the most obscure we can think of to avoid ASICs? And do people not see that very algo hopping mentality will do more damage to DGB than the algo in question, especially at higher market values???

There are far bigger fish to fry if DGB is going to grow into a mainstream currency, and I wish we could all move on from the panic of "WE NEED TO CHANGE ALGO'S NOW OR WE'LL BE ATTACKED AND THE COIN IS DOOMED!" and address those issues first. I'll say no more on the topic Wink
legendary

Activity: 61
The price of DGB might be going down but the value of the coin is not going down as fast because bitcoin price is going up, those holding bitcoin are benefitting and can get in at lower prices,if bitcoin price goes back over 500 USD a lot of coins will drop down in price but not as much in value. For those saying 1 Sat is the lowest, it's not, a coin trading pairing can then be dropped for LTC and go below 1 sat. This has occurred a lot with very high supply coins that are hopeless. I never expect 1 sat for DGB of course!.

You are right. DigiByte's price may be going down, but once Bitcoin price is stabilized at its high, then those coins dropped including DGB will rise again! So there is no point of selling any DGB. Just be patient, DGB is as safe as Bitcoin Wink

Bitcoin started going up about a month ago when the Chinese stock market started dropping. Watch BTC drop when the market starts rallying.

On a 12 month basis chinese stocks are still 70% up. We have seen nothing yet. The fall will be a period of heavy turmoil and from summer 2016 on world will plunge into a 10 year depression. We will see then if crypto really already is an alternative to longterm consumer goods and precious metals.
legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1000
I take it traders already taking advantage of the differences in cryptsy and bittrex prices?
Activity: 91

HR
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Transparency & Integrity
The price of DGB might be going down but the value of the coin is not going down as fast because bitcoin price is going up, those holding bitcoin are benefitting and can get in at lower prices,if bitcoin price goes back over 500 USD a lot of coins will drop down in price but not as much in value. For those saying 1 Sat is the lowest, it's not, a coin trading pairing can then be dropped for LTC and go below 1 sat. This has occurred a lot with very high supply coins that are hopeless. I never expect 1 sat for DGB of course!.

You are right. DigiByte's price may be going down, but once Bitcoin price is stabilized at its high, then those coins dropped including DGB will rise again! So there is no point of selling any DGB. Just be patient, DGB is as safe as Bitcoin Wink

Bitcoin started going up about a month ago when the Chinese stock market started dropping. Watch BTC drop when the market starts rallying.

The "rally" won’t last long. I think we’ll see some real chaos and panic in financial markets come the 4th quarter. Martin Armstrong is one of the foremost renowned cyclic analysts around and his Economic Confidence Model agrees with that timing. http://www.economicconfidencemodels.com/ http://www.armstrongeconomics.com/models/7219-2

The Chinese stock market has only begun to fall with an intermediate term 1st wave down. A huge sell-off it was, and the “bounce” will be strong as a result, but I wouldn’t bank on it getting back to anywhere near recent highs or on it lasting more than a few months. Europe is falling apart (as much as I personally hate to say so) and that’s going to heat up in the autumn as well. US markets are so overvalued that it’s only a matter of time and finding an excuse (which those first two items just mentioned will provide).

If you think QE in all its forms has been unbelievable, hold on to your hats!

And who are the lucky recipients of all that newly created fiat currency going to be? The same people who were on the receiving end of QE until now, of course (certainly not the little guy, like you and me). And what will they do with that money? Continue “reaching for yield”, of course. And what will that include? You tell me, but what with stocks, bonds, and fiat currencies all losing value, I’ll bet that a couple of dollars will find their way into cryptocurrencies. It’s already begun to happen. I’ve pointed it out in several places recently, most notable here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/massive-program-buy-in-crypto-last-week-15-june-2015-start-of-something-big-1095434 The same has been reflected in recent news: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blythe-masters-wall-street-moving-in-on-btc-1100598

So, who gets all the free money?

How about these folks for starters:

Short list of the managers who will benefit from the “trickle up” new normal money management creation we will see.

BlackRock
Vanguard Group
State Street Global Advisors
Fidelity Investments  
J.P. Morgan Asset Mgmt.
BNY Mellon  
Capital Group
PIMCO
Deutsche Asset & Wealth
Goldman Sachs Group
Northern Trust Asset Mgmt.
TIAA-CREF
Prudential Financial
Wellington Mgmt.
NISA Investment
Legg Mason
Goldman Sachs Group
Manulife Asset Mgmt.
Geode Capital Mgmt.
Principal Global Investors
Legal & General Investment  

There will be a lot of money being “thrown around”. It’s not like anyone here expects billions to be thrown into cryptos (not in the short term anyway), not by any stretch of the imagination, and much less so in any one particular crypto (excepting BTC perhaps); however, there will certainly be millions, most likely hundreds of millions, short to medium term, destined for cryptocurrencies.

It’s not like anyone is thinking that we’re going to be able to get a direct interest in DGB either. The truth be said, none of these institutions, or their “smaller” brethren (the long list), take direct interest in anything of this sort. They prefer “baskets” of similar profile investments.

The idea is to get DGB included in those cryptocurrency investment “baskets”. My best estimate based on the money flow is that the large investors who have recently come into cryptos have "baskets" that are made up of 20-25 different currencies (and it looks consistent across the board . . . unless it's been limited to just one individual buyer). In my estimation, again based on the money flow, DGB is currently NOT included in any of those baskets. The goal is to change that, and it doesn’t matter that DGB is a long shot (yes, I think we’ve fallen back into undeniable “long shot” status), these institutions like to have a little bit of “long shot” in their portfolio as well. Get DGB included in those large investor baskets, and get it done ASAP, that would be the goal.

What’s more is that things don’t necessarily have to end in institutional investment – someone might make a personal decision based on something discovered in the workplace, for example, which could even extend to other friends and family. The campaign would be aimed at large known pools of money, but would not be exclusive to them alone, and most probably, like everything in life, would extend beyond the original target to destinations previously unimagined. More than anything we’re talking about making contact with the outside world, as it were, and doing so in the most professional and intelligent way we can.

The window of opportunity is narrow (as it is with everything in this business): you snooze, you lose.

On the other hand, as I’ve said before, if you don’t believe in your product to begin with, then you might as well just end this reading with a big “never mind”.

(This should be considered to only be part of a multi-pronged approach to addressing current adverse issues, in conjunction with things like algo substitutions – great to see so many favorable comments regarding that – and new user target marketing, to name but two other key items.)

Ah, what the hell. I’ve decided to find the time and take third party initiative on my own and send out “recommendations” with basic introductory information. Major institutions like to have independent, third party, analysis so anything I might add independently certainly won’t hurt. Including NOBL adds certain credibility as well. Cryptsy will receive free “advertising” also as a by product. Nevertheless, the main goal, that of informing people with the means and the need of a product they previously didn’t know about but will be glad they finally found out about, will be what's really important. Anyone who would like to help with snippets and ideas on what you think would most interest large investors, please feel free to PM me your suggestions.
legendary
SHA-256 and Scrypt are so huge that a single large farm from there can abuse DGB easily.
Unfortunately this is currently true and is what we must overcome. That is why I questioned faith. You would need to believe that although your asic machine cost more in electricity to run than it mined in value of DigiByte it would one day be worth it. The problem with that is people would just think, that is stupid I can buy more DGB. You might even say if enough people were thinking like that then people would buy it and the price would move up. not enough people are buying it and round and round we go.

Only a single minded community has any real chance here.
and a single minded community is aligned through belief. This belief has to be generated and maintained by the devs. There isnt enough news from devs its one of their failings plain and simple. i like Jared but what does he do week in week out? Based on posts and lack of blog stuff the average person would be led to believe nothing...

Look up wolffire the game overgrowth. The devs are very active and its an indie project. Regular content rich updates, the fans love it. I can get on cryptsy chat and talk to netcoin devs. i even had one offer to make me a custom wallet for a feature i suggested for block splits. I dont need free stuff but i was impressed by their comms and attentiveness.

Need this here. Who's going to build services for DGB if they dont see dev comms and interaction? If this doesnt happen dgb is just another altcoin with low block time for trans and a 21 billion supply.
For sure, this project is over without the developers doing their stuff or more importantly being able to do it when necessary. They are key community members if you like but they are also just people. Any failure at this stage, I certainly wouldn't attribute to our developers. Who is perfect? Jared is not some bloke sitting on a heap of pre-mine, slowly drip feeding it to market and taking us all for a ride. the guy deserves some respect and this community is where he should get it.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021
SHA-256 and Scrypt are so huge that a single large farm from there can abuse DGB easily.
Unfortunately this is currently true and is what we must overcome. That is why I questioned faith. You would need to believe that although your asic machine cost more in electricity to run than it mined in value of DigiByte it would one day be worth it. The problem with that is people would just think, that is stupid I can buy more DGB. You might even say if enough people were thinking like that then people would buy it and the price would move up. not enough people are buying it and round and round we go.

and a single minded community is aligned through belief. This belief has to be generated and maintained by the devs. There isnt enough news from devs its one of their failings plain and simple. i like Jared but what does he do week in week out? Based on posts and lack of blog stuff the average person would be led to believe nothing...

Look up wolffire the game overgrowth. The devs are very active and its an indie project. Regular content rich updates, the fans love it. I can get on cryptsy chat and talk to netcoin devs. i even had one offer to make me a custom wallet for a feature i suggested for block splits. I dont need free stuff but i was impressed by their comms and attentiveness.

Need this here. Who's going to build services for DGB if they dont see dev comms and interaction? If this doesnt happen dgb is just another altcoin with low block time for trans and a 21 billion supply.
legendary

legendary
Any ASIC driven algos are bad for the markets and decentralization. They dump immediately to get their ROI. Replace SHA-256 and Scrypt with something non-ASIC and you have a part of the problem solved. NeoScrypt and Lyre2RE are good choices.

The 'holy grail' includes asics, we just want a distributed amount of them eventually mining Digibyte and holding it for a bit. Or we need to implement some other insurmountable network for ultimate security.
Part of the issue, as I see it is; a very few people control all of the asics in Digibyte at the moment and because their catch is so large, due to the efficiency of their machines,they can immediately dump and cover overheads. We need to somehow replace these few with many and then that will become harder. At the same time they prevent people from adding old mining equipment to our network by making sure it is not profitable. They control this portion of the network and as previous discussions in here have highlighted, this is a dangerous place to be but they are so far only interested in milking it, no surprises there.

They have pulled our pants down and have us bent over,and here we stay until we find some true distributed network of our own.

Activity: 637
Merit: 500
Any ASIC driven algos are bad for the markets and decentralization. They dump immediately to get their ROI. Replace SHA-256 and Scrypt with something non-ASIC and you have a part of the problem solved. NeoScrypt and Lyre2RE are good choices.

They very good choices if you to get more coins with miners who will dump at 100 instead of 28. I plan to make about 300 btc with my dgb but have to wait for stable price of 150, if dgb make it so I don't need to exchange back to btc then I will keep coins to live off
Activity: 527
Merit: 251
Quality Crypto Collector
My my, get sick for a bit and see what happens!
Some interesting conversations been going on here, on the face of it nothing has changed for me, covering a lot of old ground and I warned the community about keeping an eye on and supporting asic in DGB way back.
I still have all my DGB and that's the way it's staying because that has always been necessary at this stage in the game. I know my entire investment will be wiped by the bastards just in it for today but unfortunately that is just tough for now, I guess. I've said before, one day I hope to leave these people in the dust of DigiByte and  no one has ever said that will be tomorrow! That said, I understand that most people do not believe in this project as much as I do and I know how people get when it comes to money and the market is evidence of that.
For Fs sake people where is the faith!  I tell you where it is, we build it ourselves, just like every religion you have ever known did. Call me crazy if you like but I'm just reminding you all of 'this is just a big popularity contest.' so do your bit to make it popular!   Wink

What he said....
Activity: 266
DigiByte? Yes!

legendary
My my, get sick for a bit and see what happens!
Some interesting conversations been going on here, on the face of it nothing has changed for me, covering a lot of old ground and I warned the community about keeping an eye on and supporting asic in DGB way back.
I still have all my DGB and that's the way it's staying because that has always been necessary at this stage in the game. I know my entire investment will be wiped by the bastards just in it for today but unfortunately that is just tough for now, I guess. I've said before, one day I hope to leave these people in the dust of DigiByte and  no one has ever said that will be tomorrow! That said, I understand that most people do not believe in this project as much as I do and I know how people get when it comes to money and the market is evidence of that.
For Fs sake people where is the faith!  I tell you where it is, we build it ourselves, just like every religion you have ever known did. Call me crazy if you like but I'm just reminding you all of 'this is just a big popularity contest.' so do your bit to make it popular!   Wink
Jump to: