Pages:
Author

Topic: Dirty coins - page 3. (Read 5955 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
February 16, 2015, 08:21:50 PM
Even without a mixing service, there is no way to prevent somebody from sending you tainted coins.

Yes, this is also an important point.

Just picture the following scenario:

—Hey, I want to pay you
—No way, your coins are related to the recent hack!
—I already sent them to your address. U MAD BRO?

It might be ridiculous, but it's totally possible. What will you do then, now that you yourself are tainted too?

This is a great scenario because if you had my little app you could let bitstamp know you confiscated some of their coins and will be returning them immediately!! great example

WHAT?
February 16, 2015, 08:20:14 PM
If you say you don't care, then I think you are not being a responsible member of society. You should care and you it is easy to check, so why not do it.

No, it's not. After the thief uses a coin mixing service, there's no way to tell where those coins come from.

I didn't say he used a mixing service.

But I say he does. We need to take into account all scenarios.
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
February 16, 2015, 08:00:21 PM
Even without a mixing service, there is no way to prevent somebody from sending you tainted coins.

—Hey, I want to pay you

It might be ridiculous, but it's totally possible. What will you do then, now that you yourself are tainted too?

This is a great scenario because if you had my little app you could let bitstamp know you confiscated some of their coins and will be returning them immediately!! great example
legendary
February 16, 2015, 07:58:01 PM
If you say you don't care, then I think you are not being a responsible member of society. You should care and you it is easy to check, so why not do it.

No, it's not. After the thief uses a coin mixing service, there's no way to tell where those coins come from.

I didn't say he used a mixing service.
February 16, 2015, 07:55:01 PM

—Hey, I want to pay you

WoW, nice. I mean evil.
Just send a few coins to some reputable exchanges/services and done.
Pure evil.

Not entirely true, as that unspent output need never be touched.  I can move my other coins which I had in this address to another which is now clean, without touching the dirty dust that you sent me. 

It's not necessarily dust. Also, I thought we were marking addresses and not individual outputs.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
February 16, 2015, 07:37:26 PM

—Hey, I want to pay you

WoW, nice. I mean evil.
Pure evil.

Not entirely true, as that unspent output need never be touched.  I can move my other coins which I had in this address to another which is now clean, without touching the dirty dust that you sent me. 
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
February 16, 2015, 07:00:19 PM

—Hey, I want to pay you

WoW, nice. I mean evil.
Pure evil.
February 16, 2015, 06:36:47 PM

—Hey, I want to pay you

legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
February 16, 2015, 06:12:30 PM

It is not easy.

Furthermore, what level of taint are you willing to accept? All coins other than newly mined ones will eventually have 100% taint as coins are stolen over time.
February 16, 2015, 05:51:36 PM

legendary
February 16, 2015, 04:33:06 PM
Brings me back to this topic, now we have even more dirty coins after the bter hack. We just have to accept it. Can't go on marking and identifying coins

Let me simplify the discussion for you because I think you and other want to jump into the macro way of thinking about this.

Lets say that today someone approaches you and says I have a great deal on 7,000 Bitcoins, I will sell them all to you for $100 right now.

Lets say you have the money to pay him.

Would you want to know if those 7000 coins were coming from the addresses that are part of the BTER heist before you made the purchase or not???

legendary
Activity: 868
February 16, 2015, 11:40:15 AM
If I was a rich BTC early investor I would hire a sexy maid to know my dirty coins, gnome saying?
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
February 16, 2015, 08:00:10 AM
Brings me back to this topic, now we have even more dirty coins after the bter hack. We just have to accept it. Can't go on marking and identifying coins

Bitcoin wasnt created so that certain coins would be marked and what not, this is a part of bitcoin idea,anonimity, so you either accept it or go away.

Agreed.

Money is money. Even $ is used to buy drugs, weapons and who knows what else.
The solution should not be to mark these coins, so that the 100th person who received it somehow legitimately can't use them. "Simply" the wrongdoers should be caught and dealt with.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
February 16, 2015, 07:10:53 AM

Bitcoin wasnt created so that certain coins would be marked and what not, this is a part of bitcoin idea,anonimity, so you either accept it or go away.
It is on regulations to rise security needed for people to own and run exchange, even tho i believe theyre lying about getting hacked, and they claimed coins themselves.
cheers
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
February 16, 2015, 03:56:06 AM
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
February 16, 2015, 03:01:58 AM
Use a bitcoin mixer and further remove yourself from the transactions.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
February 13, 2015, 06:24:33 PM
I am just proposing a simple app

There's nothing simple about this.

Yep.  Fractions of clean coins mixed with fractions of 'dirty' coins = grey area.
February 13, 2015, 05:22:40 PM
I am just proposing a simple app

There's nothing simple about this.
legendary
February 13, 2015, 04:26:16 PM
If you think coins should be coloured you are probably a regulator or have their D in your butt.

I am not and do not. I am actually not proposing a stamp on coins. I am just proposing a simple app that will tell me how connected an address is to nasty historical addresses like Bitstamp, or maybe even Gox if there is one.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
February 13, 2015, 04:22:22 PM
If you think coins should be coloured you are probably a regulator or have their D in your butt.
Pages:
Jump to: