Pages:
Author

Topic: Dirty coins - page 6. (Read 5955 times)

Activity: 555
Merit: 507
February 10, 2015, 06:32:02 AM
Most cash have been involved with some kind of drity transactions at some point. Are they blacklisted or marked as dirty?
Do people refuse to use them? are they destroyed?
No people still accept them, I dont see why it would be any diffrent with bitcoin
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
February 10, 2015, 04:21:48 AM
While people starts going away from Bitcoin to choose more anonymous coins, you come up with this idea Smiley

First, it's far from the purpose of Bitcoin.
Second, if somebody would want to hide this, would transfer everything to an exchange an buy altcoins before his address is blacklisted. Then the exchange will have to live with the dirty money, I guess?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
February 10, 2015, 03:57:26 AM
It would also in a sense exclude coins from being used freely.

It would also in my opinion add to transaction confirmation times too, if it needs to do check to see if these coins was "Dirty" or not.

We need other alternatives to stop the nature of man to be dishonest, not bind down a technology, that should be fast and freely used. 
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
February 09, 2015, 09:51:53 PM
I understanding why miners not filtering transactions for any reason is a good idea as it would diminish the overall fungiblity of Bitcoin.

However, why not have an app that will tell you how dirty the coins are for a particular address that is the source of your potential exchange. You can decide if the coins are too dirty for your liking.

Example, You want to sell a car, someone offers bitcoin. You ask for his address to confirm funds. He provides an address that is a couple steps removed from the Bitstamp heist and 80% of the value in the address is directly linked to the Bitstamp heist. You tell him no thanks.

How would this impact the fungible aspects of Bitcoin?? and it is certainly easy to do so why hasn't anyone done this yet!!

Bitcoin is not created with such intentions, it would break most of its purpuse.
Anyways, it would be easily avoided by using service like bitcoinmixer..etc ?
Marking coins could also be missused and would confuse allready enough fussed bitcoin comunity.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
February 09, 2015, 08:51:20 PM
I understanding why miners not filtering transactions for any reason is a good idea as it would diminish the overall fungiblity of Bitcoin.

However, why not have an app that will tell you how dirty the coins are for a particular address that is the source of your potential exchange. You can decide if the coins are too dirty for your liking.

Example, You want to sell a car, someone offers bitcoin. You ask for his address to confirm funds. He provides an address that is a couple steps removed from the Bitstamp heist and 80% of the value in the address is directly linked to the Bitstamp heist. You tell him no thanks.

How would this impact the fungible aspects of Bitcoin?? and it is certainly easy to do so why hasn't anyone done this yet!!

Let us say you sell your car.
After that when you try to use your coins to buy something else, people say that the coins are too dirty for their liking. Wouldn't be a comfortable position, would it?

Fungibility has to be absolute.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
February 09, 2015, 10:49:12 AM
Isn't this the whole point of colored coins?
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
February 09, 2015, 09:57:25 AM
This has been discussed before after the bitstamp hack to mark the stolen coins. You might want to read it here
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/victim-reward-notices-929318
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
February 09, 2015, 09:34:35 AM

Pages:
Jump to: