Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think Doctors lie? - page 10. (Read 2143 times)

Activity: 441
Merit: 278
It's personal
February 23, 2019, 02:28:22 PM

... BTW, people working in the health care sector are the worst. They don't care about their health, they take drugs without visiting (other) doctors, they are the worst patients to treat.

I find these facts very disturbing. Why should I, a reasonable human being, wanting a healthy life above all else, entrust my most precious condition, to a bunch of skewedly informed, hypocritical self entitled idiots who would not follow suit and do the same?
Activity: 994
Merit: 502
February 23, 2019, 02:17:07 PM
Doctors have learned to give prescription on drugs and medicines for each and every abnormal things happening with one's body. Apart from this, they are just human beings with all sort of feelings and emotions. In this way they too lie and there is a telling in my town that you should not lie to doctors and lawyers. This is told because, upon the truth we say about our body they'll give medicines. With lawyers we're supposed to say the truth, oy then they can argue with the offender for us.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
February 23, 2019, 01:20:07 PM
It is becoming the norm in my countries(Indonesia) to doesn't trust blindly a doctor except that is a very trustable doctor. It is advisable to consult another doctor to seek a second opinion to make a conclusion for us. I heard a story from a patient that stick with one doctor for his illness, he keeps using a prescription given by the doctor, but without any significant result obtained. He started to seek to another doctor then follow the prescription given, and surprisingly the sickness is getting away significantly.
legendary
Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276
February 23, 2019, 12:40:12 PM

Is It Time to Retire the Hippocratic Oath?

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/873756 [annoy-walled by Medscape]

And as a follow-up, does it even matter?

Quote from: Kol Nidre popularly recited on Yom Kippur
All vows we are likely to make, all oaths and pledges we are likely to vow, or swear, or consecrate, or prohibit upon ourselves between this Yom Kippur and the next Yom Kippur, we publicly renounce. Let them all be relinquished and abandoned, null and void, neither firm nor established. Our vows are no longer vows, our prohibitions are no longer prohibitions, and our oaths are no longer oaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2d7-TQ5eU

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
February 23, 2019, 10:06:37 AM
It has been given for a long time that when a doctor-patient interaction comes, one can not always be honest with each other. Some sensitive questions are raised in patients, research shows that it happens rather often. In Massachusetts General Hospital, 11 percent of 11 percent of the 1,800-plus doctors surveyed admitted that they were lying and 55 percent said that they described a patient in a more positive light to the patient than the patient's correctness
Activity: 448
Merit: 232
November 21, 2018, 06:48:28 AM
Doctors don't study medicine any more, they study propaganda from the Big Pharma companies. Once you realse this, you can see that they don't lie, they are just misguided.

I don`t think it`s correct to talk about all the doctors in general. Everything depends on the country in which the doctor lives and works. For example, there are countries like China, where "natural" medicine and homeopathy play a huge role. This knowledge is transmitted within their culture; they cannot be acquired at Western universities. Therefore, the approaches to treatment there are completely different. And we can`t say that they no longer study medicine, but study propaganda from the Big Pharma companies.
Activity: 278
Merit: 100
November 21, 2018, 06:30:59 AM
Recently i went to the hospital to check see the doctor and i was told the doctor to attend to me will be back soon, while waiting, he came in and from the look of things he had gone to smoke, it got me thinking, can it be that they are telling us not to do this and that and if you follow them you wont eat anything because everything is bad to health, no drinking of alcohol, smoking of any kind and the list is endless, why would a doctor now turned around and go smoking?

It's not hard to listen right? and it's not a lie, its just a warning for you but then again we all have a choices so whether you accept the fact that all of it should limited or avoid , it's for our own sake. Also their have their own life likewise every people has or have a choice, a freedom of will , a freedom to lie.
Activity: 357
Merit: 10
November 21, 2018, 05:43:25 AM
Definitely sometimes in my opinion that some doctors are giving an untrue statement or lie answer example of that some doctors says that we cannot eat something like this but the real thing and real answer to that is that we cannot have that kind of food too much because we all know that too much is not good in our health but some doctors saying that we cannot eat that kind of food but how we will continue to live if all kind of food is not good to our health and for me there are no foods that is not good but we cant that one food to take too much in our bodies and the real and good statement to that is to have a balance meal.
Activity: 71
Merit: 2
November 20, 2018, 04:17:22 PM
Doctors lie to patients all the time, by not explaining how bad it is... like, you're gonna die in 6 months.

Unfortunately, doctors are more and more being forced to practice what is known as "defensive medicine", because of the skyrocketing rate of patients attempting to sue doctors or bringing forward lawsuits against them. Again, as with most things wrong in medicine and healthcare, this is largely a problem in the United States.

We can never say for sure how long someone has left. We can take an educated guess based on how long other patients with similar conditions or diseases have lived for, but as every person is different, those educated guesses will never be 100% accurate. You could be suffering from a slow growing cancer that most people would live another year with, but suddenly suffer a DVT and PE and die next week.

I've seen several situations where doctors have said "You/your family member has 6 months to live", and they died within a few weeks. Lawsuit follows. Interestingly, I have also seen the opposite, with families suing when the patient lived longer than predicted. One family, thinking their grandmother had only a few weeks to live, spent a lot of money on a high quality but expensive private package of care, with round the clock carers and private nurses. Their grandmother ended up living for several months, and so their total bill from the private company was far higher than anticipated. They sued the doctor for their expenses.

If you want doctors to be more open with you as they are in most other developed countries, you need to get rid of your culture of litigation.
Lawsuit is only effective in a country that are civilized if i must used that word. In country like mine my sister went for test following some issues she noticed in her body. they told her she had fibroid measuring 2cm by 3cm or inches. they started loading her with fibroid treatment only to realize it was pregnancy but it was too late. she suffered loss. now went to another for check up to ensure it was properly evacuated. spent money and was told no product from the miscarriage was left. she spent much. at the end of the day when there was no longer conception for 3 years she went to yet another hospital to see reasons for the delay only to test and see that she had no fibroid no traces of fibroid but old retained product from the last miscarriage. such cause deserves suing but in a dysfunctional country as mine you will be begging for trouble.
Activity: 71
Merit: 2
November 20, 2018, 03:41:40 PM
Doctors don't study medicine any more, they study propaganda from the Big Pharma companies. Once you realse this, you can see that they don't lie, they are just misguided.

Lol, can stop laughing. real propaganda from big pharma companies!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
November 20, 2018, 10:59:36 AM
Doctors lie to patients all the time, by not explaining how bad it is... like, you're gonna die in 6 months.

Unfortunately, doctors are more and more being forced to practice what is known as "defensive medicine", because of the skyrocketing rate of patients attempting to sue doctors or bringing forward lawsuits against them. Again, as with most things wrong in medicine and healthcare, this is largely a problem in the United States.

We can never say for sure how long someone has left. We can take an educated guess based on how long other patients with similar conditions or diseases have lived for, but as every person is different, those educated guesses will never be 100% accurate. You could be suffering from a slow growing cancer that most people would live another year with, but suddenly suffer a DVT and PE and die next week.

I've seen several situations where doctors have said "You/your family member has 6 months to live", and they died within a few weeks. Lawsuit follows. Interestingly, I have also seen the opposite, with families suing when the patient lived longer than predicted. One family, thinking their grandmother had only a few weeks to live, spent a lot of money on a high quality but expensive private package of care, with round the clock carers and private nurses. Their grandmother ended up living for several months, and so their total bill from the private company was far higher than anticipated. They sued the doctor for their expenses.

If you want doctors to be more open with you as they are in most other developed countries, you need to get rid of your culture of litigation.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 1363
November 20, 2018, 09:21:00 AM

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
November 20, 2018, 09:09:36 AM
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065
✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )
November 20, 2018, 08:45:09 AM
Any parent will kick the butt of his child for smoking while having a cigarette in his/her mouth.
Doctors have to tell you what is good or bad for your health but that doesn't mean that they have to do the same.
For example, a diabetic person will be asked to stop eating sugar, or a patient with a hypertension will be told to reduce the salt intake in his food. Why should healthy people or doctors follow the same advices? Most of people know that reducing sugar and salt intake is good for health but respecting it isn't obviously done by everybody.
BTW, people working in the health care sector are the worst. They don't care about their health, they take drugs without visiting (other) doctors, they are the worst patients to treat.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
November 20, 2018, 08:25:03 AM
Sometimes you know what is good for you, but you still do harm to yourself.

The same with doctors.
Activity: 434
Merit: 10
November 20, 2018, 05:57:06 AM
Doctors also have the freedom to smoke. Science tells that smoking is harmful to all people, but it does not mean smoking is prohibited. Doctors usually don't lie, and no doctor wants to kill. So your logic is problematic.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 1363
November 19, 2018, 11:47:58 AM
Only on the job?

Only when they go to bed?

Cheesy
Activity: 390
Merit: 157
November 19, 2018, 11:02:25 AM
Recently i went to the hospital to check see the doctor and i was told the doctor to attend to me will be back soon, while waiting, he came in and from the look of things he had gone to smoke, it got me thinking, can it be that they are telling us not to do this and that and if you follow them you wont eat anything because everything is bad to health, no drinking of alcohol, smoking of any kind and the list is endless, why would a doctor now turned around and go smoking?

I think it's not actually or totally lie, it's more of an advice , in the end we blame the doctors right? but see how and why ?. The only thing we can blame is our ownselves, so instead of being a stubborn childish acting child, go ahead and follow the advice.

Because for what i believe is that being doctor is hard, we should learn and somehow put our own feet on some owned shoes.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
November 19, 2018, 09:55:35 AM
This is why the supply chain transparency in healthcare will be a great means of blatantly revealing unnecessary, deadly, and highly profitable over-prescription.

I assume you live in the United States? I see this kind of argument a lot, people complaining about doctors being "bought" by pharmaceutical companies. And while this is a large problem in the US, it isn't in most other developed nations. If you compare against the UK for example, doctors are given no financial incentive whatsoever for using or prescribing a particular drug. In many countries unnecessary prescribing is actually actively discouraged, with guidelines to follow and even punishments for doctors who hand out too many prescriptions.

A doctor should not have any mistake, and if ever, that shouldn't be kept as a lie.

That's an unreasonable expectation to have, I'm afraid. Everybody makes mistakes. It doesn't matter how trained you are, how experienced you are, how skillful you are. You can do something flawlessly a million times, and still make a mistake on the millionth-and-first time. In medicine there are countless checks, guidelines, checklists, routines, etc. designed to minimize mistakes. Obviously if mistakes happen, they need to be discussed openly and honestly and learned from, but you can never say there will be no mistakes. Mistakes are human nature.

To answer the broader question, of course doctors lie. Everybody lies. The differentiation to make is if the lie is ethical or unethical. Lying about medical advice or mistakes is obviously unethical, and should not happen and should be punished when it does. What about a patient involved in a road traffic collision, assault, shooting, or any other major trauma who was brought in and died in the ER or on the operating table from their injuries. What if the mother asks "Did they suffer?" or "Were they in pain?" I've lied in that situation several times. Is that ethical?
Activity: 115
Merit: 4
November 19, 2018, 09:01:04 AM
I guess, u're asking whether a doctor would lie to her patient regarding medical advice. My question is, what would be her motivation to do so?
Pages:
Jump to: