Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 29. (Read 213559 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
same issue (typed new passphrase wrong twice) here: transposed adjacent chars

... found by 5th guess!!!
riX
Activity: 326
Merit: 252
What type of error was it? Capitalization, missing character, extra character, transposed, etc?

Extra char..
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
What type of error was it? Capitalization, missing character, extra character, transposed, etc?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
good to know that. maybe others will need your help
riX
No, but that's ok, I told him I didn't need any reward. Unless he's got several wallets I would have taken a substantial amount of his coins to increase my holdings with a fraction of a percent..
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I cracked it.. Revalins code up above would have done it in an hour..

EDIT: Don't know if OP was impressed though, haven't heard from him, no reply to the PM where I sent him the right pwd. He transferred the bitcoins to a new address, except the 0.01 BTC I stole when testing (hope you're not angry about that 1zbtc, I'll give it back if you want Tongue)

and no 50-100 BTC reward that was promised?  Angry
riX
I cracked it.. Revalins code up above would have done it in an hour..

EDIT: Don't know if OP was impressed though, haven't heard from him, no reply to the PM where I sent him the right pwd. He transferred the bitcoins to a new address, except the 0.1 BTC I stole when testing (hope you're not angry about that 1zbtc, I'll give it back if you want Tongue)
so do you really cracked or you just refresh his memory ?
riX
He had indeed mistyped the password, but I cracked it.. 52 char pwds are not always good, easy to mistype =)
Activity: 496
Problem solved...  Wink

What was it? We are curious! Smiley
riX
Problem solved...  Wink
i can point you to some Russian forums, they are very good in this kind of encryption mysql injection etc, but i don't know how you stay with russian language.
someone helped me with a bigger problem in the past 
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Since you mistyped it twice it's unlikely that you made the same mistake.

that's what i would have normally thought, but as i mentioned, a bad keyboard can easily have that effect.
Activity: 496
Since you mistyped it twice it's unlikely that you made the same mistake.
I would check the version with inversed capitalization in case you had CapsLock On and didn't notice.
Or if you have multiple languages on your computer try changing the language.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1016
It may be worth trying to scan your hard disk for remnants of deleted copies of the wallet. To do that, I highly recommend the portable version of Recuva. It's very simple to use. If you're lucky, you could find one that is unencrypted (until recently, Bitcoin-Qt had a bug that sometimes left the wallet file partially unencrypted on the hard disk).

Enable deep scan mode, and look for any recoverable DAT files that are similar in size to your wallet file.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1333
I don't suppose you have a backup from before you encrypted the wallet?

Ha!

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, but forgot it in all the technical details.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1060
I don't suppose you have a backup from before you encrypted the wallet?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1333
Any script authors or white hats interested in making a hundred BTC or so, send me a message.

I sent you a PM.

I've since discovered that it's possible to test whether I've cracked your password without having any of your encrypted keys.

If you can just give us your encrypted master key, the salt, the number of iterations, and your best guess at what you think the passphrase is, we can attempt to find a passphrase that decrypts the master key and know when we've done it, but without getting access to any of your funds.

To get the information we need, get a copy of Gavin's bitcointools: https://github.com/gavinandresen/bitcointools and make the following change in wallet.py:

Code:
-      print("Master Key %d"%(d['nID']) + ": 0x"+ short_hex(d['crypted_key']) +
-            ", Salt: 0x"+ short_hex(d['salt']) +
+      print("Master Key %d"%(d['nID']) + ": 0x"+ long_hex(d['crypted_key']) +
+            ", Salt: 0x"+ long_hex(d['salt']) +

Then close bitcoin-qt and run:

Code:
./dbdump.py --wallet | grep Master.Key

from the bitcointools directory.

It should print a single line, like this:

Code:
Master Key 1: 0x47994851532eb7479886f5dc3c923df2d8a57d1f687d0d41808dee394b50259b209e587f677a3b69db1448ecb18e0d39, Salt: 0xa66b5e971bbd8106. Passphrase hashed 95913 times with method 0 with other parameters 0x

Using this, and bitcoin-qt's crypter.cpp, anyone can verify that the passphrase is 'abc'.  But since nobody has a copy of the wallet I encrypted with 'abc', nobody has access to the coins in the wallet.
Activity: 728
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
You might want to reorder that to make it find adjacent _keys_ on the keyboard, not adjacent letters in the alphabet.

Just reordering the string won't help.  It would need to generate groups by adjacency, which will require a considerably more clever algorithm than the double-nested-loop exhaustive search above.  By all means post it if you have one.  I'm done for the day.  Smiley
riX

Code:
characters = " !\"\#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~"

You might want to reorder that to make it find adjacent _keys_ on the keyboard, not adjacent letters in the alphabet.

Edit: noticed you posted that just before..

When I get home from work I can post my script unless you have it figured out by then.
Pages:
Jump to: